Willie Johnston, will never tire of talking about guys like this.

Mossblown_Loyal

Watched the big match revisited this morning. Norwich 3-2 West Brom. Luton beat newcastle too with the goalie getting 7 stitches in a nose wound. The magic sponge guy just threw a plaster on it and told him he was fine. Claret all over the place.

Back to wee willie, set up a cracker of a goal. The guy had his moments and i'm sure there was a report of him training in miners pit boots. Had his moments of madness and lashed out himself at times.

Anyway, A through ball ball and wee willie is beat to it by the Norwich number 2, Wee Bud in Wee Bud fashion leaves a wee bit in.

The Norwich number 2 turns round and just fukin lamps him a straight punch. Brian Moore the commentator says, well if the referee does his job right he's obviously getting sent off, you can't do that. No VAR in those days.

I and many have probably seen it before and forgot about it. Tried to google and get the norwich players name, cannie find a thing.

It was brilliant seeing the wee fella doing his magic for wba, he will probably laugh himself at getting lamped.

Older bears will understand the great man more, like many, a small chapter in the Glasgow Rangers Story is wee Willie Johnston.

Watched the big match revisited this morning. Norwich 3-2 West Brom. Luton beat newcastle too with the goalie getting 7 stitches in a nose wound. The magic sponge guy just threw a plaster on it and told him he was fine. Claret all over the place.

Back to wee willie, set up a cracker of a goal. The guy had his moments and i'm sure there was a report of him training in miners pit boots. Had his moments of madness and lashed out himself at times.

Anyway, A through ball ball and wee willie is beat to it by the Norwich number 2, Wee Bud in Wee Bud fashion leaves a wee bit in.

The Norwich number 2 turns round and just fukin lamps him a straight punch. Brian Moore the commentator says, well if the referee does his job right he's obviously getting sent off, you can't do that. No VAR in those days.

I and many have probably seen it before and forgot about it. Tried to google and get the norwich players name, cannie find a thing.

It was brilliant seeing the wee fella doing his magic for wba, he will probably laugh himself at getting lamped.

Older bears will understand the great man more, like many, a small chapter in the Glasgow Rangers Story is wee Willie Johnston.
Was your last paragraph that struck me mate. Bud is one of many who have made the story of Rangers. He is a giant in my eyes

You’re right about the pit boots, there’s a poster on here @weebud’spitboots who can tell the whole story.

Met him outside during an RST dinner having a fag. After talking for a while, I said I was surprised he smoked, and he said he used to be in the lavvy at half time for a quick ciggy.

Cool story bro.

The Norwich number 2 that just turned around and melted him wan had a drew jarvie haircut.

There was nae number 1's or turkish barbers in those days.

The young un's would be horrified to get a drew jarvie these days,
:D

My 1st hero when I was a boy.

When I got my 1st ever 'Gers' top I persuaded my dear old mum to tear up a white shirt and make and stitch the no 11 on it.

Had the pleasure of meeting him and Colin Stein at Queen St Station a few years ago and treasure the picture I have of them with me.

I have posted this story on here before but here it is again
We were on a family holiday down at Blackpool , one day (well every day )I went for a pint with my da and my brother in the Trades club and we got talking to some guys who turned out to be West Brom fans so needless to say the talk turned to football , them asking us about the Gers and us asking about West Brom , eventually we asked them what they thought about Willie Johnston and their answer was quite simple
" Oh you mean God " that's how highly they rated him

A decent sized chapter I reckon, including two goals in our European trophy win.

His official biography 'Sent off at gun point' is one of the few excellent footballing books that is a must read.

Agree, after my initial post based on the game v Norwich, a huge part of Rangers history .

A very huge part.

You’re right about the pit boots, there’s a poster on here @weebud’spitboots who can tell the whole story.
Didn’t train he had a bet with Sandy who was the fastest, said he coubeat him with pit boots on. Well they had the race And he did bear Sandy . That’s the story we were told.

I used to have a picture of Bud running along the track in front of the main stand, dragging a tractor tyre with a rope tied around his waist. I can't find the bloody thing now.
I think it might have been a Rangers news pic, or maybe from a Playing for Rangers book.

Had the good fortune of sitting with him having a few beers after a Rangers charity doo and found him great company, just chatted away about the game in general. I asked about some of the greats he played with and against but he kept coming back to one player, George Best, he said he was by far the best player ever.

Going slightly off topic, Bud was one of the players who seemed to be known by a different Christian nickname in real life.

Willie to us, but outside, Billy.
Billy Ritchie was seemingly Willie Ritchie.
Davie Wilson signed his name Davy Wilson.
Orjan Persson's real name was Orange Person.

Maybe I'm overthinking it all.

I think the Norwich player that punched Bud was Mel Machin. Even his name sounds horrible.

Back