Willie Waddell Memorial

Baloo72

Got an email this morning via Club 1872

Dear Supporter,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to read this letter. We are a small group of like-minded supporters who reside is a small mining village called Forth in South Lanarkshire, where Willie Waddell, a legend in Glasgow Rangers Football Club’s history came from. He was born on 7th March 1921, went to our local primary school, attended our local high school, Lanark Grammar, and played for the local junior team Forth Wanderers. Then at the age of 16 he signing for Glasgow Rangers Football Club and the rest is well known to all.
It is the aim of our group to fund raise in order to mark the birthplace and achievements of a local lad who went on to achieve legendary status as a player, manager and lately an honorary director of the Glasgow giants. Our aim is two- fold, to rename the Local Sports centre to Willie Waddell Sports and Community Centre and secondly to erect a fitting monument that will reflect his achievements and stature.
We have the full support for this project from the Scottish Football Association, Rangers FC, Kilmarnock FC, Forth Wanderers FC and the Waddell Family.
For information on our activities please see our Facebook page

https://www.facebook./williewaddellmemorial
and Just-Giving page
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/williewaddell
We are actively fund raising in order to reach a target of £17,000 alongside some external funding to allow us to proceed with our projected vision.
We would be grateful if you would please consider donating to this very worthwhile cause. Any amount will be gratefully received to assist us in reaching our goal and honouring a man who changed Rangers Football Club for the better with his vision and modern thinking, who started off his journey in Forth.

Yours sincerely,

Neil Orr
Secretary
Willie Waddell Memorial Committee

When the memorial went up for JG, at the time we said that it should have been Willie Waddell, after all he was a player as well. However he dragged us into our current stadium and ended the Scums dominance. He laid the building blocks, and would have turned in his grave if he knew what was ahead of us with the Crooks that we inherited from the mint.

When the memorial went up for JG, at the time we said that it should have been Willie Waddell, after all he was a player as well. However he dragged us into our current stadium and ended the Scums dominance. He laid the building blocks, and would have turned in his grave if he knew what was ahead of us with the Crooks that we inherited from the mint.
Led us to arguably our greatest ever achievement and as you say created the foundations for what was to come. The way things worked out we had the stadium in place and left others in our wake.

Seems like a small price to pay to honour a Rangers great

I have no doubt he is the real Greatest Ranger. As a player he was a legend, a regular under Mr Struth who instilled in him a will to win and an understanding of what being a Rangers player and employee really meant. Many of us older long time supporters remember him as a hugely talented right winger that played over 300 games for Rangers and went on to become a great as a Manager. He brought back the very standards on and off the park that he picked up from Bill Struth that had slipped over the years before his return. He managed us to our one and only, so far, European trophy in 1972. He had the foresight to bring in Jock Wallace as his number 2, who himself went on to become a hugely successful Rangers Manager. He managed the Club through it's most difficult time in it's history as the Ibrox disaster took an enormous toll on the support and families of those that lost their lives. He ensured that the Club conducted it's business with complete dignity and provided support to those families and employees who suffered through the traumatic days, weeks and months to followed. He then went on to ensure the stadium was rebuilt to the highest standard for viewing and safety becoming one of the best stadiums in Europe. He served as a Director and Vice Chairman seeing the Club return to its rightful position as the biggest and most successful Club in the country.
I fully understand the pride of the people of Forth in wanting to recognise the achievements of one of its most famous sons. The points made above have not detailed the achievements he had as the Manger of Kilmarnoc taking them to the League Chamoionship or his posit as a highly respected sports journalist before being invited to return to Rangers as Manager.
I for one will be delighted to make a co tribution to this appeal.

I have no doubt he is the real Greatest Ranger. As a player he was a legend, a regular under Mr Struth who instilled in him a will to win and an understanding of what being a Rangers player and employee really meant. Many of us older long time supporters remember him as a hugely talented right winger that played over 300 games for Rangers and went on to become a great as a Manager. He brought back the very standards on and off the park that he picked up from Bill Struth that had slipped over the years before his return. He managed us to our one and only, so far, European trophy in 1972. He had the foresight to bring in Jock Wallace as his number 2, who himself went on to become a hugely successful Rangers Manager. He managed the Club through it's most difficult time in it's history as the Ibrox disaster took an enormous toll on the support and families of those that lost their lives. He ensured that the Club conducted it's business with complete dignity and provided support to those families and employees who suffered through the traumatic days, weeks and months to followed. He then went on to ensure the stadium was rebuilt to the highest standard for viewing and safety becoming one of the best stadiums in Europe. He served as a Director and Vice Chairman seeing the Club return to its rightful position as the biggest and most successful Club in the country.
I fully understand the pride of the people of Forth in wanting to recognise the achievements of one of its most famous sons. The points made above have not detailed the achievements he had as the Manger of Kilmarnoc taking them to the League Chamoionship or his posit as a highly respected sports journalist before being invited to return to Rangers as Manager.
Excellent post mate
I actual got a chill reading that, superb sir

The fund is up to £1,610 already

Nope. It should have been a boy in street clothes with a Rangers bunnet and scarf.

Here here. Mr Waddell contributed more to our great club than any other in my opinion. Indeed more recognition should be made to this colossus of a man at the actual stadium. A stand should be named after him in my opinion. That would be a step towards giving him the recognition he deserves. The memorial is a great cause and I have contributed already.

No offence to John Greig but Waddell is unquestionably the greatest ever Ranger. After the Disaster, he led from the front and held the Club together. His vision can be seen today in the modern Ibrox, finished in 1981 when others had barely added a pie stall in sum total of their modernisation plans, the fact the Stadium doesn’t look out of place nearly 40 years later speaks volumes

Absolutely fitting to do this. My auld man absolutely idolised The Deedle as a player and the work he put in to rebuild Ibrox is a tribute to the man.

Giving even a small donation is a no-brainer.

Thank your to all the supporters who have kindly donated so far. We now have the backing of both Club 1872 and Rangers FC. Please help us by sharing our page on Follow Follow to assist us to reach a wider audience and to help us reach our target for a TRUE Rangers Legend. Your help is very much appreciated

Here here. Mr Waddell contributed more to our great club than any other in my opinion. Indeed more recognition should be made to this colossus of a man at the actual stadium. A stand should be named after him in my opinion. That would be a step towards giving him the recognition he deserves. The memorial is a great cause and I have contributed already.
Fantastic article that says it all about the Legend that was Willie Waddell. This is one of the reasons that we are trying to raise funds to honour a gentleman who was always there for the fans and Rangers FC. Ibrox is his lasting legacy that we can all be proud of.

My late Dad's favourite Ranger. Met Mr. Waddell once and found him to be a grumpy old bugger. Had many a disagreement with my old man over Mr. Waddell, my favourite being John Greig.
However, my experience with him, does not detract from the everything he did for the Club and fully deserves any honour that comes his way.

We have now collected the fantastic sum of £2130 towards our goal to honour Willie Waddell in his home village of Forth in South Lanarkshire. Our plan is to rename the local Sports Centre then erect a memorial which has yet to be decided upon. I will keep everyone updated on how things are progressing at regular intervals. Thank you for all the comments raised and for donating. If you have not already donated and would like too. I have attached JustGiving link. https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/williewaddell

I would like to take this opportunity on behalf of my committee to thank the Vanguard Bears for their most generous donation of £1500. This is a fantastic donation and is very much appreciated by us all. This will go a long way in helping us to reach our goal and allow us to honour Willie Waddell in a manner befitting a legend.

I would like to take this opportunity on behalf of my committee to thank the Vanguard Bears for their most generous donation of £1500. This is a fantastic donation and is very much appreciated by us all. This will go a long way in helping us to reach our goal and allow us to honour Willie Waddell in a manner befitting a legend.
Well done to The Vanguard Bears

I have had contact from a few individuals and supporters clubs who would like to donate by cheque rather than other means. This is not a problem and all cheques should be made payable to The Willie Waddell Memorial Committee. Please text me on 07876 427102 and I will pass on my address. Thank you to everyone so far who has contributed. All contributions are gratefully received and very much appreciated.

Two of or committee members Alan Morton and Bobby McGinty have had an interview with Gers TV's Sie Leslie. They were promoting our fundraising and letting supporters know of our progress and plans. It should be aired later next week. It is worth watching to find out our objectives and how we are doing. Thanks to your support we have raised through JustGiving £2540 which is a fantastic amount. Thank you to everyone for your continued support

The Memorial Committee are delighted to announce that the renaming of the sports centre will take place two days after what would’ve been Mr. Waddell’s 98th birthday on Saturday 9th March at approximately 2pm.
We are also delighted to announce that John Greig MBE will be unveiling the renaming plaque in the main sports hall.
As well as members of the Waddell family being present we expect various dignitaries from South Lanarkshire Council, Rangers FC, Kilmarnock FC and our local football club Forth Wanderers to be in attendance.
On the day the sports centre will operate its normal hours with the renaming event on from 1:30pm to 3pm, models of the monoliths will be on display along with designs for each one. All committee members will be in attendance and more than happy to answer any questions on the project.
We hope you can all join us for this special occasion.
**Please note memorial monoliths will be finalised and unveiled at a later date once they have been approved by the Waddell family and other relevant parties.

We are now on part 2 of our project to erect monoliths to commentate Willie Waddell in his home village of Forth. Earlier on this year we renamed the local Sports Centre to The Willie Waddell Sports and Community Centre, which was officially opened by John Greig ,MBE. We need to raise £21000 and have already raised £18000 from local fundraising events. If you feel that you can spare some cash and would like to donate. You can do it at the following link. All donations are greatfully received. Thank you for taking the time to read this article. Please view our Facebook page for photos from our phase 1 opening ceremony with John Greig. Please circulate to your friends.

Forth is a small village with 4 public houses. We are situated only 15 minutes by bus from Livingston. Why not stop off on your way to Livingston FC and enjoy the Forth hospitality and see the Willie Waddell Sports and Community Centre. Along with the village that a TRUE Rangers legend was born and raised before signing for Rangers as a teenager. We are proud of our village heritage.

No it shouldn't have.

It should have been a football supporter dressed in a Rangers scarf and bunnet.

That's who we were remembering.

I have always felt that Mr Waddell should have been knighted. But that's for another day.
Most supporters would agree with your comment. I believe that one of the greatest honours that can be given to a man of the legend status of Willie Waddell is to be honoured by his home village where he was born and attended the local primary school in Forth. I hope that when we erect the monoliths that it will show the local children what can be achieved if you work hard, have ability and a wee bit of luck.

In regards to a fitting memorial to WW. I would suggest a sculpture of a man in a bunnet and scarf holding the hand of a wee boy also wearing a scarf and facing John Greig. If the papes can have as many statues as the Rodin museum in Paris then we could at least have a couple.

Most supporters would agree with your comment. I believe that one of the greatest honours that can be given to a man of the legend status of Willie Waddell is to be honoured by his home village where he was born and attended the local primary school in Forth. I hope that when we erect the monoliths that it will show the local children what can be achieved if you work hard, have ability and a wee bit of luck.
Thanks very much for your reply and the very best of luck.

Back