Willing volunteers tradesmen for Ibrox

midlandbear

If my company was to set up a subsidiary arm which was staffed only by registered volunteers, I could write all the necessary risk assessments to gain an insurance policy for them to work at our stadium within their qualified field. Painters, electricians, plumbers, heating engineers etc could carry out work for the club to save them huge sums, whilst being protected by suitable insurance and within H&S protocol.

How many tradesmen do you would be interested in offering up their spare time to such an initiative?

You'd have to turn people away if the club ever got behind this, think it's a huge missed opportunity from the club not to do it as we must have some really skilled people in our support that would happily give up their time for free. I don't know a single tradesman bear who wouldn't love boring the arse off all their mates every time they were at Ibrox pointing out their work.

You'd have to turn people away if the club ever got behind this, think it's a huge missed opportunity from the club not to do it as we must have some really skilled people in our support that would happily give up their time for free. I don't know a single tradesman bear who wouldn't love boring the arse off all their mates every time they were at Ibrox pointing out their work.

I’m going to look into this further. I already have the platform with my company. I’ll make some calls and scope it out.

If anyone can help with contacts at the club to run a presentation by, I can start working towards it.

Would this be strictly tradesmen only

There is scope within some jobs like painting/decorating where you can have additional unqualified people take on certain tasks, so long as they read and sign the relevant RA. This obviously is more challenging when dealing with tasks that involve Electrical, Gas, working at height etc.

Painting and decorating is the job I was thinking of I would gladly give time for this

There is scope within some jobs like painting/decorating where you can have additional unqualified people take on certain tasks, so long as they read and sign the relevant RA. This obviously is more challenging when dealing with tasks that involve Electrical, Gas, working at height etc.

I am a painter and decorator i would defo get involved great idea

Maybe its just me, but I'm not sure I would feel comfortable taking money out of some ones pocket that potentially has a contract at Ibrox. And I'm sure its quite a big contract, it could potentially sink someone.

I'm in for some part time work , don't have a trade though consider anything else help me get out the house a while.
#retiredloyal
One of our project managers would assign roles to all volunteers. Even if it’s just delivering materials and supplies mate, it would all help save the club a significant amount of money, whilst maintaining our beautiful stadium to the standards befitting RFC.

If any of the admin could PM me a POC at the club who would be responsible for stadium maintenance, I will reach out tomorrow.

I envisaged something like this being set up years ago, as we made our way up through the divisions.

I thought it would centre around a membership scheme. Individuals pay in, as do businesses. All skill-bases of members logged, and services reviewed. Members can offer club free/discounted services, or tender for work.

It was really just an expansion on the Community Trust model, and turning it into a business that was run by bears, for bears and the club.

I hope you get this off the ground mate, because, we, the fans are the club's best commodity, and we have more to offer than just our cash.

FBS

If my company was to set up a subsidiary arm which was staffed only by registered volunteers, I could write all the necessary risk assessments to gain an insurance policy for them to work at our stadium within their qualified field. Painters, electricians, plumbers, heating engineers etc could carry out work for the club to save them huge sums, whilst being protected by suitable insurance and within H&S protocol.

How many tradesmen do you would be interested in offering up their spare time to such an initiative?

If you keep it to less than five employees you do not have to write risk assessments although I would still advise that you do. You will also need to write a safety policy if you have more than five employees. I am sure you knew that but there is also other stuff you may need to do to comply with statute e.g. Provision of first aid , maintenance of tools and equipment

Last edited:
Truly brilliant response and one the club should consider. The club would benefit from free labour and the bears offering their services would have such a pride in improving the stadium with their craftsmanship and hard work. Win win I say.
This is a big driver for me. Not just about the cost saving, but allowing fans the satisfaction of physically maitntaining OUR stadium.

I envisaged something like this being set up years ago, as we made our way up through the divisions.

I thought it would centre around a membership scheme. Individuals pay in, as do businesses. All skill-bases of members logged, and services reviewed. Members can offer club free/discounted services, or tender for work.

It was really just an expansion on the Community Trust model, and turning it into a business that was run by bears, for bears and the club.

I hope you get this off the ground mate, because, we, the fans are the club's best commodity, and we have more to offer than just our cash.

FBS

It did get discussed a few years back but for whatever reason it didn't ever come to anything. Health & Safety or something was the clubs response.

Maybe its just me, but I'm not sure I would feel comfortable taking money out of some ones pocket that potentially has a contract at Ibrox. And I'm sure its quite a big contract, it could potentially sink someone.

Wish the guy who’s got the contract your on about would hurry up and get the bogs sorted they are a disgrace.

If you keep it to less than five employees you do not have to write risk assessments although I would still advise that you do. You will also need to write a safety policy if you have more than five employees. I am sure you knew that but there is also other stuff you may need to do to comply with statute e.g. Provision of first aid
For insurance reasons I would expect the club would not want there to be any grey areas on ownership of risk. I would want safety a priority before asking anyone to lift a tool.

Pressure wash the outside of the stadium, especially the Main stand beam and above the Enclosure Glass Towers, get the white stains off the Ibrox Disaster Memorial bricks, graffiti removal guys looking after the area and walls around the stadium on a regular basis, painting to be done inside the ground around the concourses and hospitality areas, stick the wallpaper up, new carpets laid down, install new LED lighting inside and outside stadium! Jobs, jobs, jobs!!!

Just tell me the skills that this great initiative is lacking and I’ll go on an intensive training course :D

I can’t believe we can’t afford to paint the stadium. Admin #1690 on its way

I think there would be a bit of friction with the present maintenance contractor.

Again, I wouldn’t be treading on the toes of existing contractors. If however we prove capable of handling maintenance projects that would normally go out for bid/tender, we could have an impact on the number of contracts the club needs to assign and fork out for.

What a phenomenal idea, the clubs greatest strength has never really been utilised, namely it’s breadth of family and how to engage it like this.

As for those re existing contracts, some are profiteering companies and have enough Tim’s getting involved.

Others get rewarded for corporate commitments. It’ll be politics that stop this but if the MD is strong enough and we have a man like the OP ready to act as the interface it could work and save fortunes but also allow us to do things we ruled out due to costs.

For the OP this is a huge commitment. Huge potentially and could really drain his team even managing the volunteers and time commitments. Would be good if some with the relevant management skills could also support.

Im sure theres a facility management company providing the maintenance/repair etc at Ibrox using their own contractors, can’t remember who it is. I’d imagine they would be really hard to deal with. Great idea though.

Edit: ECG Facilites

Stopped painting when I joined the RAF, but I would happily spend a couple of days painting Ibrox!

I hope this idea grows legs and we see it come to fruition soon @midlandbear.

What an experience that would be and to the benefit of the club.

Back