Win the Scottish cup ,extend the Euro run another round and all is forgiven ?

Blue Tack

Is this where we are at ?

The feelgood factor is phenomenal from the Braga result and last night made it even better.

Imagine reaching the quarter finals of Europa if we could,just wow

If we can get past one more round then anything can happen.

We have to take this feeling into tomorrow and scud hearts ,we simply have to .

I’m more than happy with how far we’ve gone in Europe actually ecstatic about it , We’ve got to win the Scottish cup and then Gerrard has to find out how bring our European form to the SPHell , he will get there just needs to be sooner rather than later

The feelgood factor is phenomenal from the Braga result and last night made it even better.

It would represent tangible progress and give us belief going into next season for the big one.

There shouldn't be any calls for a change of manager if he does achieve that this season. He'll have earned another crack at it.

I wouldn't quite say all is forgiven. Even Gerrard would say Europe shouldn't excuse how bad our form has been domestically of late.

Can't say all is forgiven, when we can defeat real quality in Europe but struggle against barely semi pro cloggers here. The European levels need to be brought to the league.

The way this team is the now I wouldn't bet on us on Saturday.
I'm going from days of feeling down after a shit result (should know better at my age I know).To getting up with a spring in my step and bouncing to work through great results in Europe.
Days you want to kiss this team and manager then a few days later you to slap them in frustration.

It shouldn’t excuse the collapse we have suffered since we have returned from the break but surely it would put to bed the pish that we haven’t progressed under Gerrard.

We have clearly progressed since his arrival and another transfer window should see us progress further next season.

We’ve blown the lead so criticism is deserved (to an extent) But it’s not time to rip this up, we’ve made huge progress under Gerrard and I’m confident that will continue and our time will come

A trophy and quarters/semis in Europa league would be an outstanding achievement

This week however does just highlight the pure and absolute bi-polar nature of our support, nuts

Gerrard, Kent and Jack have talked about recent results and performances not being good enough. They haven't - we are 12 behind in the league and out a title fight in February, again.

That's not acceptable.

Europe has never been a problem - players and management have received huge accolades for what they have produced and rightly so. We've been sensational.

A Scottish Cup win would lift a lot of doubt over the mentality to win a trophy, would stop the rot, give this group of players and manager a first trophy together. That breeds hunger and confidence and whilst I don't want to talk about them - it would end a quadruple treble which gives them some thing to think about over the summer and puts doubts in their minds.

I'm just hugely frustrated at the results and performances when we've been given an opportunity this season. Not once have we applied pressure to Lennon and his players and there was no title challenge.

It's over to the players to now out in some more top performances whilst winning the majority of league games and lifting the Scottish Cup.

Can't say all is forgiven, when we can defeat real quality in Europe but struggle against barely semi pro cloggers here. The European levels need to be brought to the league.

I believe it’s the players desire that’s holding us back in the SPL - it’s clear they desired it before The break but have only recently found that level of desire again, the players are good enough to do it but there’s something just missing that SG needs to sort for the domestic game -

We have already made progress under Gerard so it is definitely a success for me albeit with some disappointments since the new year.
Celtic are a decent team in the league and have the confidence that comes from years of winning no matter who they have been up against so it was always going to be tough to get the title before they reached 10.
Not over this year but it does look like we will have to stop them next season.

It's about making advances and improving on last season.

European wise it's clear we're better off than last year.

League Cup - made the final and bossed it, but were undone by a dodgy linesman and some even dodgier finishing on our part - an improvement on last year.

Scottish Cup - Time will tell if we do better than last season

League - so far we're better off than last season, despite the last 6 weeks, but unfortunately so are Celtc. This is where the whole concept of "marginal gains" falls down as we judge ourselves based on league position as opposed to points total alone. We don't need marginal gains, but massive ones when our closest rivals have made improvements like they have.

It's not a case of forgiving anything, more a case of recognising that we're heading in the right direction but that we wish our speed of travel was a bit more rapid.
We definitely need to improve how we do against the parked bus concept as we're clearly much better playing on the counter attack, but we don't get a chance to do this domestically very often.

It's an incremental build.

Take what they might 'achieve' out of the equation, and in context the majority would be pleased with the huge progress we've made since Gerrard came in.

Obviously we want back to our rightful place, but it wasn't going to happen overnight. I truly believe that what we are doing in Europe is nothing short of remarkable, and will attract a better class of player to Ibrox, which in turn will give us the league.

None of this is accepting second best. It's being realistic about where we are, so long as the build continues.

Another way to phrase it would be:

What would you rather?

1. League winner
2. Scottish cup winner and extended European run

No brainier for me. Our car crash in the league is criminal.

It's about making advances and improving on last season.

European wise it's clear we're better off than last year.

League Cup - made the final and bossed it, but were undone by a dodgy linesman and some even dodgier finishing on our part - an improvement on last year.

Scottish Cup - Time will tell if we do better than last season

League - so far we're better off than last season, despite the last 6 weeks, but unfortunately so are Celtc. This is where the whole concept of "marginal gains" falls down as we judge ourselves based on league position as opposed to points total alone. We don't need marginal gains, but massive ones when our closest rivals have made improvements like they have.

It's not a case of forgiving anything, more a case of recognising that we're heading in the right direction but that we wish our speed of travel was a bit more rapid.
We definitely need to improve how we do against the parked bus concept as we're clearly much better playing on the counter attack, but we don't get a chance to do this domestically very often.
Sums up my feeling on the matter.

we are making progress, it’s obvious for anyone to see. Ultimately to win the league, we need Celtic to drop off, unfortunately they haven’t.
We are getting there though!

The progress we have made is clear for anyone to see

We just need a few more tweaks and the ability to break teams that park the bus down and we will improve drastically in the league

The progress SG has made in a season in a half is unbelievable imo

To be going into the last 16 of the europa league fearing pretty much no one says a lot for me

Win the cup and I’ll settle for that. Staying within single digits is a must though.

Doesn’t matter anyway, when we secure CL football by winning the EL all will be forgotten

Right now, I would swap going out of Europe and the Scottish cup, to be 12 points ahead of them in the league..
Don’t get me wrong I’m delighted about the Euro run but the league for me is much more than those two competitions.

I’m just looking forward to enjoying the moment, off speaking aloud In work today, about what cup competition we can win.

Cup win and another couple of rounds In Europe for me ,

If they get a Quadruple Treble I can see Gerrard walking.

After watching last night as soon as Copenhagen took the lead. If the rest of the SPL don't look at that and realise that lot are there for the taking and continue to shit the bed then the game is up for this season otherwise part of me still has the smallest bit of hope that this mob could have a major arse collapse here.

The form in the league (domestically in general) since the break has produced the biggest missed opportunity and that will always be a source of regrest, however the season is still salvagable.

We need to acknowledge that Celtic's league form is incredible and we've made huge strides in a season.

We are 12 points better off than a year ago, problem is, so are Celtic.

They've been lucky, they've had favourable decisions but they've also been ruthless and most other Scottish teams can't lay a glove on them which is strange as Copenhagen made them look ordinary.

The improvement this season from last is evident. It's churlish to suggest otherwise. Unfortunately The Harbourers are umpteen points better off also.

We wanted a trophy before a ball was kicked. It's up for debate whether the Scottish Cup would suffice but it should not be dismissed if that is "all" we win.

Winning the league in Scotland gets you noticed, no where, outside of Scotland. Even down here no one I speak to knows how many times they have won the league in a row

But Europe on the other hand gets you noticed outside , I have had plenty of texts since Wednesday saying how good Rangers were etc. Around Europe folk will sit up and notice which raises the clubs profile. Winning the Scottish cup would be great but I would swap that for a semi-final in Europe.

Nope, not for me. I don’t want sackings or players sold, but the only way I can forgive our collapse is if the mentally challengeds slip up and we somehow manage to win the title. Otherwise I’ll remain quite bitter about how this season has gone for a long long time

I don't understand all this out of the league c rap. Until its mathematically impossible then never say never. Hopefully this Braga result gives us the ooomph we need to batter all the SPL teams that come before us.

We need to acknowledge that Celtic's league form is incredible and we've made huge strides in a season.

We are 12 points better off than a year ago, problem is, so are Celtic.

They've been lucky, they've had favourable decisions but they've also been ruthless and most other Scottish teams can't lay a glove on them which is strange as Copenhagen made them look ordinary.

That’s another issue that we have to deal with in Scottish football. Having just watched them have their arses handed to them at home by mediocre Euro opposition for the second time this season, there is absolutely no way that they are as good as the rest of Scottish football is making them out to be.

The rest of the league seems to have developed a massive inferiority complex against them akin to Brendas first season, where they are pretty much beaten before a ball is kicked.

Meanwhile we continue to be the diddy teams cup final. They are all quite happy with the filth cantering every trophy going as long as they have a chance of beating us.

No I don't think a European run can paper over the cracks of yet another disastrous return from the winter break. We need to identify why it's happening.

We could still be in for the league and still in Europe now that would have been some season

I'm not going to lose my head if they win 9 or 10. The first 4 at least were tainted, they know it. We're progressing just fine, the manager will make mistakes however he is only halfway into a 4 year plan.

There is a lot of hard work ahead if we are to rediscover our mojo. Tynecastle on Saturday has been a bit of a bogey for us in the Cup statistically over the past 20 or 30 years and we did not help our situation there last time. It is not going to be as easy as we think. I genuinely thought we would kick-on at St Johnstone after the marvellous Braga result at Ibrox, and look where that took us.

So, Tynecastle is about survival in the Cup and getting through to the next round if we can.

The league, in theory, appears to be over. However, technically there is still room for dreaming. The mentally challengeds crashing out of Europe has altered the scenario. It would require us to win both games against them (6 points) and win the game in hand (3 points). That leaves them needing to draw two games (or lose outright) whilst we win all our remaining games. A tough task. I doubt it, but after last night, one never knows.

The Europa League is similar to 2008. A kind draw and some big guns like Man U versus Inter or B. Leverkusen could see a way opening up to us we would least suspect. It's all about 'believing' in ourselves.

No I don't think a European run can paper over the cracks of yet another disastrous return from the winter break. We need to identify why it's happening.

We could still be in for the league and still in Europe now that would have been some season

We know what's happening. Unless we have our top team playing, the ones coming in can't make enough of a difference to get three points regularly.

Flanagan at Pittodrie. Halliday at Rugby Park. Flanagan at Tynecastle. Polster against Aberdeen at Ibrox

In all four of those games we were missing pivotal parts of our attacking play as either Tav or Borna were out (and Alfie was missing in some of them too before we had Kamberi in as an option)

We need to improve the squad to help us in those situations. I've not even got too much against the three players mentioned but they can't replace the two mentioned.

We have to make sure, and we will as we continue to improve, that the options are better for us. We might even have stumbled on something with Aribo against Braga at home to compensate for Borna if he's out. It's all part of the process of getting there.

I see it all as a steady improvement. The bumps in the road are hard to take but it's just the journey of getting back to being on top. I'd love us to win the Scottish Cup just to get people who keep focussing on a lack of any trophy taking focus away from the fact we are clearly improving as the points total in the league, at least getting to the LCF instead of losing a stupid semi, progressing out of the groups and even getting through the last 32 clearly shows.

Sign another couple of better players this summer. Clear a few who aren't good enough out and keep moving onwards and we'll get there.

Last edited:
I believe it’s the players desire that’s holding us back in the SPL - it’s clear they desired it before The break but have only recently found that level of desire again, the players are good enough to do it but there’s something just missing that SG needs to sort for the domestic game -

I’m not sure it’s just down to desire.

I think our collapse in form domestically was in part the result of the winter break coming at the wrong time, in part the result of some key players being absent or out of form and in part Gerrard’s insistence to continue playing the same system with by and large the same players despite it having less and less effect.

All of that combined saw a huge loss in confidence exacerbated by our merciless support and compounded with Celtic’s infuriating consistency our title challenge lay in tatters.

I think a cup win is absolutely crucial now, but just as crucial is Gerrard’s ability to mix things up domestically, and not just when we’ve struggled for forty five, but right from the kick off.

I appreciate Kamberi isn’t available tomorrow, but I think I might tear my hair out if we line up with the same formation that played in Portugal.

Nope I think there is an opportunity to exploit here in terms of putting pressure on the filth. I think it is clear that much of their domestic success is contrived and that when they venture forth into Europe they are shown to be the inferior team that they are...They don’t handle REAL pressure well.

without gutless teams and tummy tickling officialdom they are far from the all conquering winners their fawning media lackies profess them to be. We must bring pressure to bear on them by adopting a system which is more suited to the rigours of the Scottish game.

Start winning domestically by going out a brutalising the diddy sides from minute one. Steamroller them, run through them, take all hope from them. On top of this if we win our game in hand and beat them at Ibrox getting it down to six points at the sharp end of the season might just exert the kind of pressure they haven’t had before.

The pressure is off us in the league as we are pretty much accepting of our second place! If ever a team had a platform to prove everyone wrong, this is it. However unlikely it seems, as it did on those helicopter Sundays, we should ‘keep believing’ our mantra, as an antidote to the previously peddled ‘we won the league at Ibrox’...Did ye aye?

I’m not sure it’s just down to desire.

I think our collapse in form domestically was in part the result of the winter break coming at the wrong time, in part the result of some key players being absent or out of form and in part Gerrard’s insistence to continue playing the same system with by and large the same players despite it having less and less effect.

All of that combined saw a huge loss in confidence exacerbated by our merciless support and compounded with Celtic’s infuriating consistency our title challenge lay in tatters.

I think a cup win is absolutely crucial now, but just as crucial is Gerrard’s ability to mix things up domestically, and not just when we’ve struggled for forty five, but right from the kick off.

I appreciate Kamberi isn’t available tomorrow, but I think I might tear my hair out if we line up with the same formation that played in Portugal.

As good as Wednesday was, you wouldn't be surprised if this team lose from a winning position tomorrow .... we need to see a tactical change from Gerrard to show that he is learning from his mistakes domestically

Yes, we can’t do anything about the past and we have to start winning trophies at some point.

Sums up my feeling on the matter.

we are making progress, it’s obvious for anyone to see. Ultimately to win the league, we need Celtic to drop off, unfortunately they haven’t.
We are getting there though!

How can we expect celtic to 'drop off' when officials or the sfa (with clancy) will help them anyway? Until we deal with the cheating officials and sfa its going to be a continual uphill struggle.

Even last nigth you could clearl see they didnt get a lot of decisions they'd easily have got here.

You just can't see the link, can you?

The progress we have made is clear for anyone to see

We just need a few more tweaks and the ability to break teams that park the bus down and we will improve drastically in the league

The progress SG has made in a season in a half is unbelievable imo

To be going into the last 16 of the europa league fearing pretty much no one says a lot for me
The ability to hold onto a lead should be priority.Sheep,Kilmarnock,Hearts,St Johnstone has killed us

How can we expect celtic to 'drop off' when officials or the sfa (with clancy) will help them anyway? Until we deal with the cheating officials and sfa its going to be a continual uphill struggle.

Even last nigth you could clearl see they didnt get a lot of decisions they'd easily have got here.

Do you think that Beaton, Clancy etc watched the two European refs and came to the realisation that was proper refereeing and what they do is take the option of least resistance?

Nah neither do I but if they did we would be atrophy up and level at least in the league.

It's just life as a fitbaw fan I'm afraid.
There's more important things in life but on game day ;)

Back