Winning 1-0 is what champions do

dh1963

Today was hard going, nobody can be delighted at us struggling to kill off a very poor Hamilton team.

But league champions need to grind out results on days when things aren't clicking. And league champions often do it by finding a way to win 1-0.

We've all read countless times how Celtic are miles better than the rest and how they sweep the rest of us aside.

Since St Brendan took over at the piggery, his Celtic team has recorded FOURTEEN 1-0 wins in the league. These include scrappy wins over the bottom teams like Hamilton, Partick, Ross County and Dundee.

Results like today will never get us excited. But they are as much part of winning a title as the days when you blow teams away by 4 or 5.

I won't be upset if we win our next four games all by 1-0!

It's not the 4,5,6 goals to zero that are important it's the grinding out the wee 1 goal victories here and there. It's what championship winning teams do.

Reactions: 8-1
Hmm.

Away from home, I agree.

At home, against really shite teams, we should be slaughtering them.

Thankfully, Gerrard appears to be in agreement.

These were my thoughts today going into the last 15 minutes op leading by just that solitary goal. Although we made it tough for ourselves today I was delighted that we ground out a very precious 3 points to go back top.

Delighted we won.

Don’t care if it’s 1-0 or 4-0(lots of of goals are great though!) winning is all that matters at this time

I agree with what you are saying though there is a lot we do that champions don't like draw with ten men or the performance v dolly.

We have a chance but we need to be more consistent and this month and January window will shape our challege.

Never say never

Hmm.

Away from home, I agree.

At home, against really shite teams, we should be slaughtering them.

Thankfully, Gerrard appears to be in agreement.

Should have been a cricket score and like Gerrard said himself - the game should have been done after 5 minutes.

After the last three matches and they way we are playing, I'll take any sort of win but failure to take our chances in the coming weeks will see us drop points. We won't have as many chances on Wednesday night so we've got to be more clinical. Thankfully Morelos is back - the wee man is streets ahead of Lafferty in every way possible.

I’d was a really comfortable 1-0 too. We didn’t look like losing a goal at any point in that match.

Walter Smith would’ve been proud of that performance today.

Every championship winning rangers team I have watched have had these type of wins.seen countless rangers teams score early and win 1-0 .today was as convincing 1-0 as you’ll see

Good point well made op. Still today was much s continuation of the performances in the recent games. Nothing mid to front that’s very imaginative. Players not taking the direct route or taking risks.

Still I’ll take it every game if we win 1-0.

They called it on Heart & Hand, winning a scrappy 1-0 on its own isn’t what champions do, it’s winnimg those as part of a run of wins that is.
What about, after a run of bad results to show character to buck the trend, that then starts the run of wins.

Today was hard going, nobody can be delighted at us struggling to kill off a very poor Hamilton team.

But league champions need to grind out results on days when things aren't clicking. And league champions often do it by finding a way to win 1-0.

We've all read countless times how Celtic are miles better than the rest and how they sweep the rest of us aside.

Since St Brendan took over at the piggery, his Celtic team has recorded FOURTEEN 1-0 wins in the league. These include scrappy wins over the bottom teams like Hamilton, Partick, Ross County and Dundee.

Results like today will never get us excited. But they are as much part of winning a title as the days when you blow teams away by 4 or 5.

I won't be upset if we win our next four games all by 1-0!

Agree. The fact we have nervy games at Ibrox now shows there’s something at stake for the first time in ages. We really need the crowd to do their bit and stay with the team, if we can get the place rocking then it will really help the players and keep us right in touch.

These were my thoughts today going into the last 15 minutes op leading by just that solitary goal. Although we made it tough for ourselves today I was delighted that we ground out a very precious 3 points to go back top.
did we make it tough for ourselves?
we forced 22 corners, any team setting up as hamilton did will be hard to break down

We just need to concentrate on getting 3 points on Wednesday....title talk is mental at the moment. Try to get tomjanuary ahead, strengthen then we can potentially start looking ahead

Three points in the bag,great :)but,let's be honest, it is brutal the football we are watching lately.:(
I dont think we are in a position to moan about what style of football we are playing, we just need to win anyway we can.

I’d love us to win the next 4 games 1-0

We would be top of the league going into the winter break

Three points in the bag,great :)but,let's be honest, it is brutal the football we are watching lately.:(

I didn't think today was "brutal". Highly frustrating due to our inability to finish but we played some good stuff in patches. This wasn't like Aberdeen or the 2nd half vs. Dundee.

A lot of our fans seem to think we won every game 5-0 during 9 in a row. Well, we didn't. We won 1-0 a helluva lot. That's why we were the undisputed champion of Scotland. I welcome results like today. We were third before kick off and are now top because we ground out a result. Long may it continue.

did we make it tough for ourselves?
we forced 22 corners, any team setting up as hamilton did will be hard to break down

We made it tough for ourselves by not converting those chances imo and this led to some nerves on the park and in the stands in the latter stages of the game

We are just lacking a cutting edge the moment. Once we sort that ....and we will, we'll be flying. I think we're close.

It was a tight result today score wise buy by %^*& we dominated the game. However, it is true - Champions just get results and we just need to keep doing that.

Teams who win championships will find way of winning a few matches 1-0. That’s when these results are important, when they form part of a winning run and they can build confidence.

Today was our FIRST 1-0 win in the league this season, and only our 3rd overall. We’ve contrived to lose 5 matches 1-0.

We are not good enough or mentally strong enough to turn 0-0 draws into 1-0 victories on a regular enough basis to be challengers. We are more likely to lose by that score line than win.

If we win 3 of our next 4 by the same score line (including against the scum), then we can trot out this cliche. But not yet; the best that we could say about today is it is 3 points, no injuries and a welcome victory after some poor results.

I didn't think today was "brutal". Highly frustrating due to our inability to finish but we played some good stuff in patches. This wasn't like Aberdeen or the 2nd half vs. Dundee.
Our inability to finish is highly frustrating,and brutal to watch surely you agree with this.

Ordinarily I would agree but not against one of the worst teams putting in a shocking display of football.

Hamilton were awful today and we absolutely had an opportunity to put them to sword and failed miserably to do so. So much so I was genuinely bricking it for the last 10 minutes.

I'll gladly take the points but we have to improve massively if we're going to talk about being champions.

Back