Winning as a manager or player

Morte

Was listening to some of the build up of the Villa game today and I went off on a wee thought tangent.

Gerrard obviously never won the EPL as a player and it is a massive hole in his cv, as well as something I think he deeply regrets. If he continues to be linked with the Liverpool job, it is not impossible that he could win the EPL as a manager.

Do you think it would mitigate his disappointment as a player or is it just not the same thing? Is winning it as a manager a bigger achievement because for every squad of 25 (or so) players, only 1 manager picks up a medal?

I never considered it before and I think I just assumed that a footballer would want to win it on the park, but logically, winning it as a manager is a harder, rarer feat.

I think winning it as a player would be better if I could pick what I would rather win it as would be a player.

If he wins it as a manager it won’t be him who lifts the trophy off the podium.

I think winning it as a player would be better if I could pick what I would rather win it as would be a player.

If he wins it as a manager it won’t be him who lifts the trophy off the podium.

Just for conversation, if you had a long term injury during the title winning season , or was a bit part player (Greg Stewart) would you still rather win it as a player over manager?

How much input / impact would you need to have as a player to feel it was 'earned' v being a manager

I think overseeing a title winning team would be more of an accomplishment.

To win it as part of the team would be a big achievement, but to be the guy who orchestrated the team for that league campaign would be even bigger.

Just for conversation, if you had a long term injury during the title winning season , or was a bit part player (Greg Stewart) would you still rather win it as a player over manager?

How much input / impact would you need to have as a player to feel it was 'earned' v being a manager
At the level of football I played I have won trophy’s and been an usused sub in the cup final and you certainly don’t feel part of it. Greg stewart still done his bit but if your injured going round with a medal and a suit i wouldn’t feel like part of it. The manager is always quite removed from the celebrations . You are right it is probably a harder achievement as a manager but imagine being say Micheal Beale and masterminding it and you don’t even get the title of manager winning it.

At the level of football I played I have won trophy’s and been an usused sub in the cup final and you certainly don’t feel part of it. Greg stewart still done his bit but if your injured going round with a medal and a suit i wouldn’t feel like part of it. The manager is always quite removed from the celebrations . You are right it is probably a harder achievement as a manager but imagine being say Micheal Beale and masterminding it and you don’t even get the title of manager winning it.
Who did you play for out of interest ? How gutting was it not to get on in a cup final ? (Something I’ve always wondered about )

Who did you play for out of interest ? How gutting was it not to get on in a cup final ? (Something I’ve always wondered about )
Armadale u19s mate I knew I wouldn’t get on. You just don’t feel part of it at all. Bit different to league campaign but as the game plays infront if you their comes a point when you know it’s not going to be your day.

I wouldn't say I am right, I don't think I have given it enough thought to have an opinion but your experience of being an unused sub is interesting.

John Terry played 95% of Chelseas minutes that got them to the Cl final, but he missed the actual final itself.
There will be players who have played in the CL final having only played 15% of their teams minutes to get to the final

It's a really good question being asked by the OP

One to ponder

Was listening to some of the build up of the Villa game today and I went off on a wee thought tangent.

Gerrard obviously never won the EPL as a player and it is a massive hole in his cv, as well as something I think he deeply regrets. If he continues to be linked with the Liverpool job, it is not impossible that he could win the EPL as a manager.

Do you think it would mitigate his disappointment as a player or is it just not the same thing? Is winning it as a manager a bigger achievement because for every squad of 25 (or so) players, only 1 manager picks up a medal?

I never considered it before and I think I just assumed that a footballer would want to win it on the park, but logically, winning it as a manager is a harder, rarer feat.
Not sure that really fits in with the point to be honest...
How bout now?

How bout now?
Nope.

The question was not even close to being 'What level of manager is Gerrard'

I would suggest that it is more than little cuck tbh, looking for ways to get digs in about a former manager as if he were the ex and he had dumped you.

It was very, very clearly a post just asking about the difference between winning as a player and winning as a manager. I feel a little sad for you that you felt the need to try and twist that into something else really.

Nope.

The question was not even close to being 'What level of manager is Gerrard'

I would suggest that it is more than little cuck tbh, looking for ways to get digs in about a former manager as if he were the ex and he had dumped you.

It was very, very clearly a post just asking about the difference between winning as a player and winning as a manager. I feel a little sad for you that you felt the need to try and twist that into something else really.
I wasn't interested in your question bud I was commenting on a point you made in your post. If it was just the question and nothing more you'd have a point but it wasn't and you don't.

Also I don't think you understand what the term "Cuck" actually means. If there's anyone acting like a Cuck it's you, throwing a bitch fit because I've said something about a manager that you didn't like.

Winning as a manger is a representation of the club the whole structure
Winning as a player is an individual / teammates accomplishment imo

Would more want to win as a player.
Think most managers would want to be out playing if they could as well and not in the dugout

I wasn't interested in your question bud I was commenting on a point you made in your post. If it was just the question and nothing more you'd have a point but it wasn't and you don't.

Also I don't think you understand what the term "Cuck" actually means. If there's anyone acting like a Cuck it's you, throwing a bitch fit because I've said something about a manager that you didn't like.
Strange that you would come on a thread written by someone to discuss a very specific question, post something unrelated, tell the person starting the thread that you are not interested in what they are saying :D

I think you could probably use a wee google of how adult conversations work, as well as messageboards.

Also, you might want to look into what a bitch fit is because me telling you I feel sorry for you is not one :D

Now, if you do not mind, I think the thread has been derailed enough by your wee diversion, as entertaining as it was...

Strange that you would come on a thread written by someone to discuss a very specific question, post something unrelated, tell the person starting the thread that you are not interested in what they are saying :D

I think you could probably use a wee google of how adult conversations work, as well as messageboards.

Also, you might want to look into what a bitch fit is because me telling you I feel sorry for you is not one :D

Now, if you do not mind, I think the thread has been derailed enough by your wee diversion, as entertaining as it was...
You're a bit strange aren't you? ;)

What I said was I wasn't Interested in your question, you seem determined to ignore the fact you made other points in your post.

My problem with you is your rather bizzare attempts at thread policing, you made a point of engaging me so any suggestion that it is I who is "derailing" the thread is laughable.

You come across as a very arrogant and condecending individual. I have no issue in you liking Gerrard but you seem confused by the notion that anyone could feel differently towards him.

Whack me on ignore buddy, easiest solution if you can't handle views that differ your own.

You do not understand at all.

I have made literally no comment on what I think of Gerrard at any stage, you are projecting onto me something that has simply not been said.

I was interested in whether people felt that managing a title win or playing in one was better. Nothing more and nothing less. Every single other poster on here got that, and everyone engaged in the thread as it was intended, except you. When everyone else is doing one thing, and you are doing another, it sometimes pays to pay attention.

You are 100% welcome to whatever opinion of Gerrard you want, it has no bearing on me at all. You will even find appropriate threads on here to discuss those opinions. This thread, very obviously, is about something completely different and it is nobodies fault that you are clearly not able to grasp that fact. You felt the need to take a thread about one subject off on a tangent. I do not really see what ignoring you has to do with it, seems like a childish thing to do on an anonymous messageboard when talking to someone you have never and will never meet. I guess childish is just something you do.

Enlighten me though, do you think that winning a title as manager is as good, or better even, than winning one as a player?

I’ve won the league as a player and manager, it’s so much more enjoyable as a player all round, but there is a deeper satisfaction winning as a manager only people have experienced would understand what I mean.

He would have won it but for the emergence of the oil clubs.

Would Messi be viewed as worse than Frank leBoef because he didn’t win the WC.

Great thought… as a kid I’d always dream to win as a player. As you readjust your expectations ie get older, can see how being the manager would be a bigger achievement, but may not quite be as exhilarating personally. For example Who was the last English manager to win the epl? Howard Kendall??

Nobody grows up dreaming of managing a team to a title. Definitely would rather win as a player. Would still be an unbelievable achievement to do it as manager though.

Great thought… as a kid I’d always dream to win as a player. As you readjust your expectations ie get older, can see how being the manager would be a bigger achievement, but may not quite be as exhilarating personally. For example Who was the last English manager to win the epl? Howard Kendall??
Wilkinson.

Back