With "friends" such as these...

D'Art

There was a considerable blip in the anti-Alfredo Morelos narrative currently being driven by sections of the media in Scotland. Sadly, the predictable one-way traffic was not brought to a sudden halt by an ex Rangers player speaking out, no, Barry Ferguson and Lee McCulloch were too busy acquiescing and adding to that negative narrative with criticism of their own.

Instead it was left to Chris Jack of the Evening Times to write an article,

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/spor...-medellin-to-rangers-multi-million-pound-man/

not only defending Alfredo, but in addition, humanising this young man so many have sought to dehumanise with comments such as “buffalo brains “and relating his upbringing to something from the Narcos Netflix series.
Jack highlights a young man brought up in extreme poverty, who has never forgotten his roots, who remains respectful to his parents and the country of his birth, and for whom the lessons learned from such a harsh upbringing remain a driver towards success. Perhaps in any other country such a young man would be seen as a positive role model rather than the devil incarnate.

But the comments of Ferguson and McCulloch really rankle – their adding to the anti-Morelos narrative serve to give it a sense of normality, when in fact it is anything but normal – it is in fact, abnormal. And no amount of ex Rangers players selling themselves to the highest bidder should allow us to lose sight of this fact. It has been a concerted campaign to demonise our prize asset and the likes of Ferguson and McCulloch, with their strong Rangers antecedents, adding their weight to the millstone being placed round Alfredo’s neck serve to give this concerted campaign a sense of credibility.

Ferguson and McCulloch are by no means the worst, Kris Boyd demonstrating his ability to adapt to the anti-Rangers agenda with considerable aplomb following a series of articles and comments criticising his former club. His lack of consistency in his arguments demonstrate Boyd realises which side of the bread requires to be buttered to ensure a favourable return.

You make your bed and you lie in it. I hope we as fans and in particular RSC’s will remember those who have served the dirty pieces of silver some sections of the media will pay in order to provide a sense of balance and credibility to that which is unbalanced and lacks credibility. Hopefully the club itself will add some solidarity when the same individuals go begging for tickets.

“To be a Ranger is to sense the sacred trust of upholding all that such a name means in this shrine of football. They must be true in their conception of what the Ibrox tradition seeks from them. No true Ranger has ever failed in the tradition set him.

Ferguson mcculloch boyd Thompson rae etc

You could make a full team that still wouldn't have one full functioning adult brain betweenthem

There was a considerable blip in the anti-Alfredo Morelos narrative currently being driven by sections of the media in Scotland. Sadly, the predictable one-way traffic was not brought to a sudden halt by an ex Rangers player speaking out, no, Barry Ferguson and Lee McCulloch were too busy acquiescing and adding to that negative narrative with criticism of their own.

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/spor...-medellin-to-rangers-multi-million-pound-man/

not only defending Alfredo, but in addition, humanising this young man so many have sought to dehumanise with comments such as “buffalo brains “and relating his upbringing to something from the Narcos Netflix series.
Jack highlights a young man brought up in extreme poverty, who has never forgotten his roots, who remains respectful to his parents and the country of his birth, and for whom the lessons learned from such a harsh upbringing remain a driver towards success. Perhaps in any other country such a young man would be seen as a positive role model rather than the devil incarnate.

But the comments of Ferguson and McCulloch really rankle – their adding to the anti-Morelos narrative serve to give it a sense of normality, when in fact it is anything but normal – it is in fact, abnormal. And no amount of ex Rangers players selling themselves to the highest bidder should allow us to lose sight of this fact. It has been a concerted campaign to demonise our prize asset and the likes of Ferguson and McCulloch, with their strong Rangers antecedents, adding their weight to the millstone being placed round Alfredo’s neck serve to give this concerted campaign a sense of credibility.

Ferguson and McCulloch are by no means the worst, Kris Boyd demonstrating his ability to adapt to the anti-Rangers agenda with considerable aplomb following a series of articles and comments criticising his former club. His lack of consistency in his arguments demonstrate Boyd realises which side of the bread requires to be buttered to ensure a favourable return.

You make your bed and you lie in it. I hope we as fans and in particular RSC’s will remember those who have served the dirty pieces of silver some sections of the media will pay in order to provide a sense of balance and credibility to that which is unbalanced and lacks credibility. Hopefully the club itself will add some solidarity when the same individuals go begging for tickets.

“To be a Ranger is to sense the sacred trust of upholding all that such a name means in this shrine of football. They must be true in their conception of what the Ibrox tradition seeks from them. No true Ranger has ever failed in the tradition set him.
Very apt quote to finish a great post

Agree 100%

Our media is full of talentless hacks more interested in making a quick buck from “shock” tactics and producing click bait and controversy than in actually writing anything balanced and sensible. So credit where credit’s due to Chris Jack for breaking ranks and penning an article about the man behind the headlines and who is a mystery to most of us thanks to the language barrier.

Ferguson and McCulloch should be added to the list of ex-players who are persona non grata at any Rangers-related events. Unlike certain clubs, we don’t want or need endless praise, just to be treated with fairness. Ex-players like the ones listed above have written absolute tosh based on a complete absence of knowledge or insight but which simply fits with the Scottish media zeitgeist of “Rangers = bad”. Unforgivable.

My exact thoughts. Sick of ex players spouting pish for BBC silver.

Because you played for us doesn’t mean you are one of us. Also, for some strange reason, more ex foreign players become more staunch than our own Scottish ex players. Strange.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a negative comment about the club from the likes of Numan, Mols, Amoruso etc. none of whom would have any strong feelings towards us prior to playing for us. However it seems every week we hear a comment from those who profess to be born as supporters, none of which are positive, whether it’s criticism (none of it constructive) of individual players or the way the club is run. I for one do not forgive or forget the actions of these individuals.

I can separate the player from the man and still cherish my memories of their actions or achievements on the pitch during their playing days whilst having absolutely no time for them now for what they have become which is lackeys of the gutter press for thirty pieces of silver. Frankly if I saw some of them on the street I would cross the road to avoid them such is my contempt for their recent actions.

great post these guys done great for us when being payed by us but it looks like they have turned the coin to accommodate their tim paying masters this is a time when we need people of true rangers values to stand up for us after your post maby they will come back to the fold

Now, he stands on the brink of further international honours and a transfer deal that could make him the most expensive player ever to leave Scottish football.
This will have the Celtic media shills and Rangers haters quaking in their boots. One of the worst things they can imagine is Alfredo leaving us in a massive deal. They are desperate to keep his fee low. All their negativity and lies about him are efforts to keep his fee down. I've heard some of the Celtic media shills compare Alfredo to a Premier league developmental talent. Worth around 8-10m they thought. Opinions of complete scum bags.
One other thing I've noted about Alfredo which I've seen lacking in others is how comfortable he is being a star. From his on pitch celebrations, to interacting with supporters, to his life style off the pitch. He really enjoys being a star footballer. That's not necessarily something as enjoyable as it sounds. Bright spot lights are often too hot to handle for lesser men.

Do the ex players actually write these articles or have any input at all?

Or are they just written by the same Rangers hating journalists and newspaper staff and receive a fee for their name and photo at the top of the page?

More importantly do any of us actually believe or pay any attention to what they say as being their real thoughts?

Or are they just written by the same Rangers hating journalists and newspaper staff and receive a fee for their name and photo at the top of the page?

More importantly do any of us actually believe or pay any attention to what they say as being their real thoughts?
If the column carries their name, I think it’s reasonable to assume they are the opinions of said person even if they didn’t actually write the whole thing themselves

They will have sign off on the article

Bear in mind they're doing it on a regular basis, so ignorance isn't an excuse

The mainstream media aren't interested in any ex-Rangers player unless he slags off the club. Most of the foreign players do not live here so are not overly concerned but when they do talk about us, it is generally positive. Anyone living in Scotland who say positive things is ignored or condemned but the media can't wait to throw money at the slaggers. Unfortunately too many love the pound coin more than they love the Rangers.

“To be a Ranger is to sense the sacred trust of upholding all that such a name means in this shrine of football. They must be true in their conception of what the Ibrox tradition seeks from them. No true Ranger has ever failed in the tradition set him.”

Some of our ex-players, particularly those who profess to be born and bred in the red, white and blue, should look at the words of Mr Struth and hang their heads in shame. Some have sold their souls for the dirty pieces of silver handed down by Rangers-hating organisations who wish only bad things for Rangers Football Club.
Did those ex-players not earn enough during their careers to allow them to deny these Rangers-haters the sound bites they crave so much ? In fact, why don’t they go on the offensive on behalf of our club in the manner of the recent article by Nacho Novo ?
We know who they are, and if they are shunned by the Rangers support at Rangers events, or indeed in the streets or in public places, they have only brought it on themselves. Shame on them !

Great OP.
Those much-vaunted ex-players now making a living by slaughtering RFC, our fans, culture & in particular current players require re-assessment. Many have squandered their 'legend' status. Butcher for one, but so have many-Scots-born 'legends'. Traitors.

The problem is that our media is controlled by Liewell and the papish Board.The Record has a lucrative printing contract with them so, the Record and the rest of the Group toe the Fen**n line which, has to be anti Rangers. Ex Rangers players who take their 30 pieces of silver don't have enough mastery of the English language to write the tripe that is printed and so, it is written for them by employees of the media in which it appears. The ex players probably signed a contract to keep their mouths shut about the articles which appear under their name or they won't get paid. They are venal enough to take the money and don't care about what the support think,after all they have no more contact with Rangers and can earn extra money by turning up at supporters jollies.

We have to make it clear to the turncoats that we don't want them any more and will refuse to entertain them at any functions and thus cut off their extra money and free dinners. That should put a dent in their collective ego and either turn them even more spiteful, when the fans will know just what they are or hopefully, show them the error of their ways.

There should be a "Chamber of Horrors" somewhere on-line for the ex players who have betrayed The Rangers Family like Boyd, Ferguson and McCulloch have done

Nice OP @D'Art and well written too.

However, on a point of order, I think I should say that I'm not convinced the Evening Times article is truly Chris Jack's own work. I know he's 'one of us' etc etc and we need all the friends we can get. Nevertheless, carefully hidden away in the article you will find the 'source' is actually by Carl Woswick, a British journalist based in Bogota. I'm guessing Woswick has distributed it via Press Association or similar. Could be wrong, of course.

Agree 100%

Our media is full of talentless hacks more interested in making a quick buck from “shock” tactics and producing click bait and controversy than in actually writing anything balanced and sensible. So credit where credit’s due to Chris Jack for breaking ranks and penning an article about the man behind the headlines and who is a mystery to most of us thanks to the language barrier.

Ferguson and McCulloch should be added to the list of ex-players who are persona non grata at any Rangers-related events. Unlike certain clubs, we don’t want or need endless praise, just to be treated with fairness. Ex-players like the ones listed above have written absolute tosh based on a complete absence of knowledge or insight but which simply fits with the Scottish media zeitgeist of “Rangers = bad”. Unforgivable.
I've still to read or hear any of them flagging up the bias in the corridors of power,not one of them mentions it and if anything fan the flames of hatred against the club by uttering such rubbish as has been written.

You could make a full team that still wouldn't have one full functioning adult brain betweenthem
Yes you are correct there they are not the most educated of people not one of them maybe they played to much football at school and missed their educational lessons, one things for sure though they know where their bread is buttered and it's by mentally challenged press etc, me I just call them turnicoats

They’re following the party line of their media paymasters. Liewall has spent the last seven years building media control. The only way to stop it is by winning on the park. Can’t wait for the day when we win the league and the Record has to publish the Champions pull out special on its middle pages. Then we will be back.

Let’s be serious about them here.

If I had worn our famous colours on the field, retired and got a job in media, I, and I’d expect nearly everyone in this forum would, back our club, players, and fight against our detractors.

The fact is, when those players, of which some were heroes of mine, are now nothing but sniping gutter press, then to me it’s an absolute disgrace. They infuriate me when I see and hear them, especially now with Alfredo.

Is it jealousy that they can no longer play or just sheer greed of towing the party line of MSM for money I will never know.

I do know, I would never be that desperate for cash that I’d sacrifice my heart for it.

I just don’t understand it. The second they come out with their crap, their legend status is dead to me.

With wee Mccann being the exact opposite, you can see his anger on a panel if Rangers are getting a raw deal, we could do worse than bring the wee man back home in the backroom staff may be helping with the youngsters

Best post i have read in a long time

Regrettably we have far too many”Judas” in our ranks of ex players.
This is where Mutton, Common as Muck score over our ex’s. No matter how bad their tackles, goals, extra tthey claim they were better than the opposition.

Super post. Morelos has everything needed to reach the highest level. This young man has been welcomed by our club and all Rangers supporters to ply his trade in our country but the hatred of everything Rangers by others in our country shows no signs of letting up. These people and all our ex players who jump on the hating bandwagon should hang their heads in shame. Be interesting to find out how many ex players have watched any matches at Ibrox since 2012 and actually paid for tickets.

Bravo!

Ex Celts are Celts for life, they know where their bred is buttered but most Bluenoses will sell their souls for a few bob. Exceptions being McCann and Thomson, neither of whom grew up Rangers fans. Very, very sad state of affairs.

Why is it that so many of our ex players allow articles of such a negative manner about us, and ok I could be wrong but the old filth do not respond in such a manner.

The club need to be hard on imposters like Rae Ferguson and McCulloch stop inviting them to do charity stuff stop having them do half time draws or rangers TV let them know that continually slagging the club off in the media will result in this. And if fans aren't happy stop booking them for RSC's sportsmans dinners ect make them irrelevant as possible there are plenty ex players out there who will talk about the club in a good like and give praise where praise is due.

He's playing for the "legends" today, is he doing it for free?

Great post Bilko Bear ;)

This will have the Celtic media shills and Rangers haters quaking in their boots. One of the worst things they can imagine is Alfredo leaving us in a massive deal. They are desperate to keep his fee low. All their negativity and lies about him are efforts to keep his fee down. I've heard some of the Celtic media shills compare Alfredo to a Premier league developmental talent. Worth around 8-10m they thought. Opinions of complete scum bags.
One other thing I've noted about Alfredo which I've seen lacking in others is how comfortable he is being a star. From his on pitch celebrations, to interacting with supporters, to his life style off the pitch. He really enjoys being a star footballer. That's not necessarily something as enjoyable as it sounds. Bright spot lights are often too hot to handle for lesser men.

Yep. Saw him last Saturday night mate & my mate got a picture with him. Handled it totally classily. No fuss.

Bravo!

Ex Celts are Celts for life, they know where their bred is buttered but most Bluenoses will sell their souls for a few bob. Exceptions being McCann and Thomson, neither of whom grew up Rangers fans. Very, very sad state of affairs.

And big Derek got into that clown Broadfoots face too & protected Alfie. DJ was a Dundee Hibs fan as a kid.

“To be a Ranger is to sense the sacred trust of upholding all that such a name means in this shrine of football. They must be true in their conception of what the Ibrox tradition seeks from them. No true Ranger has ever failed in the tradition set him.”

Some of our ex-players, particularly those who profess to be born and bred in the red, white and blue, should look at the words of Mr Struth and hang their heads in shame. Some have sold their souls for the dirty pieces of silver handed down by Rangers-hating organisations who wish only bad things for Rangers Football Club.
Did those ex-players not earn enough during their careers to allow them to deny these Rangers-haters the sound bites they crave so much ? In fact, why don’t they go on the offensive on behalf of our club in the manner of the recent article by Nacho Novo ?
We know who they are, and if they are shunned by the Rangers support at Rangers events, or indeed in the streets or in public places, they have only brought it on themselves. Shame on them !

They will die one day like the rest of us. Whether they go with a bank balance or their integrity & self respect is their decision. Many of them have already chosen the wrong option mate.

Goals, titles and medals mean more to me than negative opinions. Ferguson, for example, is a treble winning captain yet there are people saying he should be shunned and that his legend status is gone in their eyes for having an opinion about a player who won’t contribute anything close to what Barry did.

Do newspaper articles and comments in the media really mean more to people than years of contributions on the pitch? I think people should really step back and think about how petulant and childish that is.

Goals, titles and medals mean more to me than negative opinions. Ferguson, for example, is a treble winning captain yet there are people saying he should be shunned and that his legend status is gone in their eyes for having an opinion about a player who won’t contribute anything close to what Barry did.

Do newspaper articles and comments in the media really mean more to people than years of contributions on the pitch? I think people should really step back and think about how petulant and childish that is.
That is, of course, a perfectly sane and measured point.
However, this also has to be factored into where our club is at present and the backdrop of circumstances that we face day to day.
We are clearly amidst a climate of hate and hostility if not outright conflict and our very continued well being is determinedly threatened by enemies who no longer lurk out of sight in the shadows, but strut publicly and spit their venom into our face with a confidence born of national political and establisment endorsement.

When you weigh up your on the surface good point against the realities we face then perhaps the situation becomes somewhat more nuanced and far less clear.
We need friends and if you ain't our friend than you are just another fckn enemy.

That is, of course, a perfectly sane and measured point.
However, this also has to be factored into where our club is at present and the backdrop of circumstances that we face day to day.
We are clearly amidst a climate of hate and hostility if not outright conflict and our very continued well being is determinedly threatened by enemies who no longer lurk out of sight in the shadows, but strut publicly and spit their venom into our face with a confidence born of national political and establisment endorsement.

When you weigh up your on the surface good point against the realities we face then perhaps the situation becomes somewhat more nuanced and far less clear.
We need friends and if you ain't our friend than you are just another fckn enemy.

Agree, we are being attacked from all sides, we need our friends to nail their colours to the mast and help the defence - parallels with the siege of Londonderry, whilst dramatic, are entirely appropriate.

Celtic fans defends Celtic fans regardless, right and wrong has nothing to do with it.

Another thing (and happy to be corrected if wrong) is that those who are happy to take their 30 pieces of silver and join in with the attacks on the club/players are those from an era where their earnings (should they have the intelligence to invest wisely) would have meant they had no need to seek payment from the media. On the other hand I’m not aware of any such comments from players from an earlier era e.g. 60’s/70’s where wages were in comparison quite low and therefore additional income would be useful. I think the opinions of such as Alex MacDonald/Willie Johnston/Dave Smith/Colin Stein etc. about the current players would be just as valid as Barry Ferguson/Kris Boyd etc. Perhaps they aren’t asked their views because they refuse to toe the media line and Rangers means more to them than a few tainted pounds.

It's long overdue from DJ but welcome none the less
It's not even giving a biased slant on it ! Its telling the truth FFS

Bonnar was put on the spot I think it was the hivs game and he sat on the fence when everyone else including stubs said we were hard done by, I dont mind that because we all know what Bonnar is and he will never side with us
But the likes of Alex Rae recently on snyde need to take a long "and for me " hard look at themselves
we are only asking them to tell it like it is

Back