With the vaccine now being made available

Carson’s chosen few

With the vaccine now approved , when do we think we’ll be back at Ibrox .
Personally I’m thinking March , for the run in and the biggest party ever seen

Glasgow would need to be in Tier 1 for fans to return. They would be reintroduced at a very low and slow rate though.

Hopefully for start of next season for significant numbers, certainly won’t be anywhere near a full house this season.

If we can't get back to Ibrox this season and if we do win the league, and there's some way to go yet, I'm sure Bears will gather to celebrate somewhere. I don't think there will be much social distancing going on when that happens.

If the news reports from today play out and every adult is offered a vaccine by the spring/early summer then there is no reason that we wouldn’t see a full Ibrox by the Euro qualifiers in July. Limited numbers are possible in the final weeks of this season but in my head I have written this season off for getting to games.

It'll still be a long time, I reckon, and certainly not this season.
Second bit, agreed.

first bit, depends on your definition of long. There’s no reason why life can’t go back to normal once the vulnerable have been vaccinated both doses. If not, the whole programme is a waste of money

The general population won't even have had the chance to have the vaccine by March.

For Everyone? It wont be this season, we'll be lucky if enough people have been vaccinated and the virus has subsided enough to be in there for the start of next season.

I think it might be around Christmas 2021.

We literally now have a vaccine available, it is being rolled out next week, it’s a hugely positive move and a game changer.

Why then are so many still saying there is no chance of fans this season and it will be a long time before fans are in?

Its mental and probably the same posters who told us football wouldn’t return at all until 2021 at the earliest.

We literally now have a vaccine available, it is being rolled out next week, it’s a hugely positive move and a game changer.

Why then are so many still saying there is no chance of fans this season, it will be a long time before fans are in?

Its mental and probably the same posters who told us football wouldn’t return at all until 2021 at the earliest.
Some people feed on negativity.

For Everyone? It wont be this season, we'll be lucky if enough people have been vaccinated and the virus has subsided enough to be in there for the start of next season.

I think it might be around Christmas 2021.
I'm not expecting any great numbers before the end of the season, if at all, but this time next year seems a bit pessimistic.

It all depends on if the roll out becomes a shambles.
I am hoping local health centres start earning their wages.
There should be 7 opening bar bank holidays for 6 months.
Its quite easy to have a rota.

Well I'm over 50 and work in social care, that puts me at number 2 in the list of people getting the vaccine.. I better be one of the first in Ibrox..

Surely once all vulnerable and elderly are vaccinated the rest of us can get back to normal and get the vaccine as more becomes available

Majority of us won’t be affected by it still spreading anyway so I’ll be pissed off if we can’t get full normality until we’re all jagged up

You're correct mate. There would be absolutely no reason to allow further economic damage, in the form of restriction of business, once those vulnerable to the virus are vaccinated.

Because it's going to be months yet until everyone in the general population has it. Front line workers as well as the older population in Scotland and the UK will be the first ones to get it. That in itself could still take some time. Let's hope the players have it as soon as possible.

Why then are so many still saying there is no chance of fans this season and it will be a long time before fans are in?

If the news reports from today play out and every adult is offered a vaccine by the spring/early summer then there is no reason that we wouldn’t see a full Ibrox by the Euro qualifiers in July. Limited numbers are possible in the final weeks of this season but in my head I have written this season off for getting to games.
If we can’t have a full house for the moment we win 55 I’d rather Ibrox was empty . Don’t think it would be right to allow a couple thousand to see that moment and no one else. If no full houses then just wait till august and have the party then

Because it's going to be months yet until everyone in the general population has it. Front line workers as well as the older population in Scotland and the UK will be the first ones to get it. That in itself could still take some time. Let's hope the players have it as soon as possible.
The general population won’t need to get it to go back to normal . Once the over 60s and people with health conditions get it then deaths/hospital admissions will plummet and we will be at normality . Anything less and their will be protests at that point

Problem is this vaccine isn’t the one the UK gov are really waiting for. It’s difficult to transport and has to be kept at -70C which means outside hospitals its basically useless. It can’t be used at local GP practices or health centres. Sure its ideal for healthcare providers but those in care homes going enmasse to the hospital for vaccinations? It’s not that practical. There is a reason the UK government have only ordered something like 30mil of the Pfizer vaccine and 100mil of the Oxford one (it can be kept at room temperature so can be used anywhere! It’s excellent health care providers and some of the most vulnerable who can make it to the hospital can be vaccinated but the general public? This ain’t the one for that, especially when only something like 800k doses are arriving next week.

The general population won’t need to get it to go back to normal . Once the over 60s and people with health conditions get it then deaths/hospital admissions will plummet and we will be at normality . Anything less and their will be protests at that point
Good point but from what I've been reading, the government are making a push to have everyone in the UK vaccinated from the virus. Not to mention there is talk from airlines making it possibly mandatory for people flying to be vaccinated. Who knows if this will make it's way into spectators at the game needing to be vaccinated as a must. The last thing the government will want is to have cases/deaths skyrocketing yet again after having cases at an all time low.

Being completely selfish I'd hope there'd be some sort of crowds by March/April or at least boxes as I was hoping to take my dad to one for his 60th.

Good point but from what I've been reading, the government are making a push to have everyone in the UK vaccinated from the virus. Not to mention there is talk from airlines making it possibly mandatory for people flying to be vaccinated. Who knows if this will make it's way into spectators at the game needing to be vaccinated as a must. The last thing the government will want is to have cases/deaths skyrocketing yet again after having cases at an all time low.
Yeah and everyone will be offered it but I don’t think that will be necessary for people to get back to normality . I can’t see them restricting things based on whether you get the vaccine . That would likely get the govt voted out and civil unrest. Long term I see Covid being a lot like the flu once the hysteria dies down. The people that need it get their yearly jab and the rest don’t bother . The only way that changes Is if people were still getting seriously ill or dying in the younger groups not deemed at risk which seems unlikely. If that was the case I think most of the general population would take it anyway. If after the over 60s and at risk groups get it and deaths/hospital admissions stay low there’s really no reason to vaccinate the rest . Sure offer them it but don’t see the point in restrictions. Case numbers would become irrelevant the same way we don’t count how many people get a cold every year

Would love that to be the case mate but I simply don't see it.

I don't think we will be back at Ibrox this season.

1st August 2021 will exactly be 40 years since my first match at Ibrox. I hope I can get back before then.

Yeah and everyone will be offered it but I don’t think that will be necessary for people to get back to normality . I can’t see them restricting things based on whether you get the vaccine . That would likely get the govt voted out and civil unrest. Long term I see Covid being a lot like the flu once the hysteria dies down. The people that need it get their yearly jab and the rest don’t bother . The only way that changes Is if people were still getting seriously ill or dying in the younger groups not deemed at risk which seems unlikely. If that was the case I think most of the general population would take it anyway. If after the over 60s and at risk groups get it and deaths/hospital admissions stay low there’s really no reason to vaccinate the rest . Sure offer them it but don’t see the point in restrictions. Case numbers would become irrelevant the same way we don’t count how many people get a cold every year
I bloody hope so. The sooner this shit goes away the better. This year has been a massive pain in the hole

Hate to burst your bubble mate but having a vaccine or two doesn't make the virus disappear overnight or at all for that matter.
Social distancing, mask wearing and everything else will still be in place well in to next year.
You also won't have enough antibodies until after your 2nd dose so you'll likely be looking at 6-8 weeks from first injection for your body to build up its full armour so to speak.

If we have 50% in Ibrox for the unfurling of our 55th title we'll be doing well.

I bloody hope so. The sooner this shit goes away the better. This year has been a massive pain in the hole
In the last 9 months case numbers have been vital because trends have shown when case numbers rise then hospital admissions and deaths follow a few weeks later. So case numbers are a guide it’s spreading . The vaccine might not stop the spread (it might we don’t know) but it’s been proven effective at stopping serious illness/death so even if case number rise next years the hospital admissions and deaths shouldn’t . And that’s why case numbers should be irrelevant next year. They shouldn’t even track them

Us old guys will get the vaccine before the young team so we'll be back in Ibrox first...only right as we've less games ahead of us :D Assuming Govt dont make a right James Hunt of the delivery, I still think we wont have herd immunity before next season, maybe even not by then so expect reduced crowds even in August.

Problem is this vaccine isn’t the one the UK gov are really waiting for. It’s difficult to transport and has to be kept at -70C which means outside hospitals its basically useless. It can’t be used at local GP practices or health centres. Sure its ideal for healthcare providers but those in care homes going enmasse to the hospital for vaccinations? It’s not that practical. There is a reason the UK government have only ordered something like 30mil of the Pfizer vaccine and 100mil of the Oxford one (it can be kept at room temperature so can be used anywhere! It’s excellent health care providers and some of the most vulnerable who can make it to the hospital can be vaccinated but the general public? This ain’t the one for that, especially when only something like 800k doses are arriving next week.
I dont think they knew about the temp needs of Pfizer when they placed the order earlier this year. Pfizer is US/EU produced so the first choice was always going to be the UK one, even if it came along later. We're getting there though.

In the last 9 months case numbers have been vital because trends have shown when case numbers rise then hospital admissions and deaths follow a few weeks later. So case numbers are a guide it’s spreading . The vaccine might not stop the spread (it might we don’t know) but it’s been proven effective at stopping serious illness/death so even if case number rise next years the hospital admissions and deaths shouldn’t . And that’s why case numbers should be irrelevant next year. They shouldn’t even track them
Case numbers are still going to be relevant going into next year to track the effectiveness of the vaccine(s) and spread of the virus. The Oxford vaccine looks like the vaccine at this point that will be the one with the least headaches administering. It's still early days at this point but I'm hopeful we will get through this soon. It's more than just a flu however.

Back