Without Spotify I wouldn't have heard or...

Mondraker

Listened to:

Slipknot
Cage the elephant
M83
Modest Mouse
Two door cinema club
Michael Kinawuka
Catfish and the bottlemen
All our exes live in Texas
Otis Taylor
U2

What bands have you discovered?

Sorry to derail the thread, but how'd you only discover Slipknot and U2 with spotify!?

Sylosis
Haste The Day
Miss Fortune
Upon a Burning Body
Being As An Ocean
Northlane
Beartooth

Found most of them through related artists. Most on here will have no idea about any of those bands :D Not in a hipster way, I just haven't seen a metal/heavy thread on FF.

Listened to:

Slipknot
Cage the elephant
M83
Modest Mouse
Two door cinema club
Michael Kinawuka
Catfish and the bottlemen
All our exes live in Texas
Otis Taylor
U2

What bands have you discovered?

U2 - really. Did you grow up on Mars.

PS: check out The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Doors and Led Zeppelin :rolleyes:

Sylosis
Haste The Day
Miss Fortune
Upon a Burning Body
Being As An Ocean
Northlane
Beartooth

Fund most of them through related artists. Most on here will have no idea about any of those bands :D Not in a hipster way, I just haven't seen a metal thread on FF.
Beartooth & Being As An Ocean are fantastic! Upon a Burning Body are wanky as feck, but their cover of Turn Down For What is cracking!

Beartooth & Being As An Ocean are fantastic! Upon a Burning Body are wanky as feck, but their cover of Turn Down For What is cracking!

I do actually agree, but they're one of my guilty pleasures. 'Party metal' :D

Murderburgers
Against Me!
Citizen Fish
Wonk Unit
Random Hand
Ted Dibiase and the Million Dollar Punk Band
Los Fastidios

An endless list of decent punk bands basically.

Run the Jewels, i had heard of them but without Spotify I would have never got as into them as I am.

Same applies for
Scroobius Pip
Vukovi
The Algorithm

Never really find new music on Spotify but wouldn't have listened to as much if it wasn't for it. Most of the music I listen to is through going to Download festival or support acts at concerts and watching them there before checking out their albums on Spotify. Found some really good bands through going to gigs/festivals like Volbeat, Skindred, Crossfaith, Gojira, Sacred Mother Tongue and few other I cant think of just now.

Then there's the ones I was aware of but listened to more cause I had Spotify like Disturbed, Korn, Five Finger Death Punch, Bring Me The Horizon and A Day To Remember

Moses Wiggins
The Dead South
The Jim Carroll Band
RL Burnside
The Felice Brothers
TV On The Radio

I tend to find new bands from listening to kerrang radio, I work night shift and at night it gets away from popular rock stuff and gets a bit more of the beaten track, Planet rock also gives some good finds.

I tunes loyal here but without that I would never have come across "have you ever seen the Jane Fonda aerobic VHS" from Finland. Cracking tunes.

Catfish and The Bottleman for me.

Never listened to them before Spotify but now it's one of the first bands on when I get in the car. They remind of The Courteeners!

Is this gonna be one of those look at all these cool unknown bands/artists I know threads? :D Cause I know f uck all.

Is this gonna be one of those look at all these cool unknown bands/artists I know threads? :D Cause I know f uck all.

This is the thread Iateallthepies comes on to talk about some somalian band who play instruments fashioned from ear wax found in the same caves as the dead sea scrolls who are better than Arcade Fire

Band of Skulls
Happyness
Wolf Alice
DIIV
Father John Misty
Benjamin Booker

This is the thread Iateallthepies comes on to talk about some somalian band who play instruments fashioned from ear wax found in the same caves as the dead sea scrolls who are better than Arcade Fire

Nah. Can't fucking stand all that African blues rock stuff. Songhoy Blues and Tinawaren are shite.

I don't use Spotify. If I've found a band that isnt well known then it's usually because my mate played the song on his sunday afternoon radio show (americana), it's been on Marc Riley or Guy Garvey on 6 music or I've read about the band in one of the music mags.

Occasionally let youtube run on for a dozen videos after a song I know I like to see what it throws up, but thats about it.

I like be Spotify. Best fiver I spend every month but have to honestly say I've never listened to anything new on it. Use it to listen to music I once owned and have since lost, on tape/cd/mini disk.

Only thing I miss is that it doesn't have all the live bootleg stuff I used to listen to

LCD Soundsystem
La Femme
Brazilian Girls
Röyksopp
Django Django
The Go! Team

And more. Can't live without Spotify.

Catfish and The Bottleman for me.

Never listened to them before Spotify but now it's one of the first bands on when I get in the car. They remind of The Courteeners!
I was working in Classic Grand and i used to go in early every weekend to watch whatever band was playing, one weekend Catfish and the Bottlemen were playing, had never heard of them before and they were absolutely outstanding, couple months later they sold out the Barras!

The Amazons
Milky Chance
Be Charlotte
Elder Island

And loads of older bands that I'd heard of but were before my time so I'd never really listened to them.

The artist/album radio feature on Spotify is a great way of hearing new artists based on the music you already like.

Not a day goes by I don't listen to Spotify. Couldn't live without it!

Nah. Can't fucking stand all that African blues rock stuff. Songhoy Blues and Tinawaren are shite.

I don't use Spotify. If I've found a band that isnt well known then it's usually because my mate played the song on his sunday afternoon radio show (americana), it's been on Marc Riley or Guy Garvey on 6 music or I've read about the band in one of the music mags.

Occasionally let youtube run on for a dozen videos after a song I know I like to see what it throws up, but thats about it.

6music is my other port of call for new stuff.

Great radio station for the most part, though there is a fair chunk of stuff that's just too out there for my taste.

Camera Obscura - I'd missed them completely when they were prominent, so glad to eventually find them.
FKA Twigs - Not a style I'd usually listen to, but something there captivates me.
Kate Tempest - The righteous rage and indignation are something to behold

I don't use Spotify but subscribe to Apple Music, same thing really, and my music discoveries via Apple Music have included the likes of First Aid Kit, Jain, Frank Turner, Mary Gauthier. I like the variety available as I like all sorts of music and Apple's recommended playlists are pretty good.

Other than that I find both BBC radio 6 music good for new music and Jools Holland's show on BBC2 also.

After years of avoidance I appear now to be firmly in the music streaming camp as I have a family subscription to Apple music and the kids use it all the time. They won't allow me to cancel it now. So, no more purchased downloads from iTunes for me, although I'm still not entirely convinced, the thought that I will have to continue to pay to rent music forever doesn't sit right with me. Can't quite shake off my old school view that I should own my music.

Latest posts

Back