Official Women's Euro 2022

ssblue

First match kicks off at 8pm.

England v Austria. BBC1.

Do we have enough interest to justify a tournament thread?

:)

First match kicks off at 8pm.

England v Austria. BBC1.

Do we have enough interest to justify a tournament thread?

:)
Yes, because like the weather, this close season has been brutal. Bring on football, any football, on the telly.

price.jpg

Cheap tickets to insure full houses.

Going to give it a go. Got nothing else on.

Worth it to see how confused people wil get if England win it. Will it mean football has come home?

Will that home have been tidied and have dinner on the table when it arrives?

Who knows.

If you accept women's football for what it is i.e. far slower - far lower skill level - much less aggression then it's watchable but trying to compare it to the men's game is pointless.

It has to be competitive to be watchable though.

I have no idea if Austria are any good but one would expect many of the group stage matches to be lopsided affairs. It won’t be good if we have 8 and 9 nil games

Something was seriously amiss with GSTQ
I had to check I didn’t have a telly on in another room

If you accept women's football for what it is i.e. far slower - far lower skill level - much less aggression then it's watchable but trying to compare it to the men's game is pointless.

i think people need to realise the womens game is about 100 years of money and coaching behind the mens game so it might take a while despite what sponsors and broadcasters want to throw at the game.

Backed France to win it for an interest. Know a few names in the England squad but couldn't tell you much about it. Will watch as much of the tournament as I can.

i think people need to realise the womens game is about 100 years of money and coaching behind the mens game so it might take a while despite what sponsors and broadcasters want to throw at the game.
Listening to Price of Football podcast and they were saying that womens football is a money pit at the moment, but I think it's excluded from FFP regulations so losing the money isn't a major for the big clubs. They see it as something with so much potential they are willing to contend with losses for the next few years. Personally I don't think it will become profitable and clubs will quietly lower their budget for it, but they know better than me.

I think most female players will agree it’s a different game.

The anger about it getting exposure seems very exhausting. No one forces you to watch it. Also, these players are football fans too.

If any Austrians fancy shooting, they will probably score.

Listening to Price of Football podcast and they were saying that womens football is a money pit at the moment, but I think it's excluded from FFP regulations so losing the money isn't a major for the big clubs. They see it as something with so much potential they are willing to contend with losses for the next few years. Personally I don't think it will become profitable and clubs will quietly lower their budget for it, but they know better than me.
Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Football is a massive market

Oh good, a thread where the interested people’s comments will be drowned out by morons.

Anyway, England are favourites but Spain should win the tournament, though they did lose their best, and the worlds best, player to injury earlier this week.
Spain are favs really. Not much in it all in all mind.

picture hosting sites

Got on Spain at 9/2 and England 5/1 for interest. Like you say mind Spain lost a key player yesterday.

I think most female players will agree it’s a different game.

The anger about it getting exposure seems very exhausting. No one forces you to watch it. Also, these players are football fans too.

If any Austrians fancy shooting, they will probably score.

I’m not going to knock the product, but I don’t really agree with the exposure point.

Particularly when it comes to outlets like, say, BBC sport. It is a bit contrived how there’s a transfer in womens football or something and they give it such prominence on their home page. That simply doesn’t reflect the interests of the readership

Fair, when I looked last week WH had England as favourites.

Find it hard to see past Spain, you should have a winner there.
Been a bit funny really, think Spain just edged ahead this last week to be favs to be honest. Personally I was quite impressed by Holland against England in the first 30 mins, then it ended up 5-1!

Haven’t seen anything in the way of advertisements for tickets or anything. I guess Leeds isn’t hosting any games
No Leeds aren't

The venues

Wembley Stadium (London)
Brentford Community Stadium (London)
Brighton and Hove Community Stadium (Brighton)
Manchester City Academy Stadium (Manchester)
Old Trafford (Manchester)
Stadium MK (Milton Keynes)
New York Stadium (Rotherham)
Bramall Lane (Sheffield)
St Mary's Stadium (Southampton)
Leigh Sports Village (Leigh)

Back