Women's football: keepers

Rangerscoverboy

Basically saying they're behind from lack of good coaching.

I don't buy that. I've seen good goalies at levels that have never been coached.

These ladies have probably had more coaching than most junior teams.

Why are they prone to be so bad? A bit like African keepers historically.

I know nothing about the women's game but if people who have presumably played at the highest levels are saying its lack of coaching thats probably got something to do with it?

Women’s football should be played on a smaller pitch with smaller goals.

I’m 35 next week, about 16 stone and only play football with the boys every Friday and even at my current ability levels, I’d be one of the best goalkeepers in the women’s game.
This is true. They'd be much more suited to playing on a downsized pitch.

I’m 35 next week, about 16 stone and only play football with the boys every Friday and even at my current ability levels, I’d be one of the best goalkeepers in the women’s game.

Its easy when your girth is covering 90% of the goal B-D

I’m only kidding mate. It’s definitely no mystery though when you look at the fact they’re generally much smaller than male keepers but playing in the same size goals.

I played amateur at the same club for 15 seasons. Every single keeper I played with I would rate as superior to what I see in women's ''top flight''.

Which means they wouldn't be able to complain every interview about equal pay.

Not gonna happen.

They love a moan.
That's true. It never stopped female tennis players demanding equal pay though, even though they play a downsized game than the men. It would take a lot of balls (!) from governing bodies and the media to stand up to that lobby.

Snakes wae tits ......Maybe Barkas should get a sex change and a transfer to the sellik woman's team and she won't look out of place, she might make the bench B-)

Cringe at demands for equal pay . Well when you get same crowds , TV coverage , sponsorship and facilities , we can talk - I think it pish ! Only sport where women are nearly on a par with men is golf.
Haven't women played in mens golf events? I'm sure Annika Strensham did, without success.
The womens majors are played on courses that are set up to play more easily.

If you mean in terms of commercial value alone, in 2019 women's prize money on the LPGA was £70m, it was £500m in the PGA.

Which means they wouldn't be able to complain every interview about equal pay.

Not gonna happen.

They love a moan.
Don’t really see how having a slightly smaller goal that actually gives the person in goal a possibility of reaching the ball would downsize the game?

I heard Celtic were asking for this to make it fair for Barkas.

Haven't women played in mens golf events? I'm sure Annika Strensham did, without success.

If you mean in terms of commercial value alone, in 2019 women's prize money on the LPGA was £70m, it was £500m in the PGA.
I'm sure Michelle Wie tried as well and was miles behind the men.

It was the same with tennis when the guy rated about 200 in the world went for a round of golf, had a couple of beers with his lunch then played both of the Williams sisters individually and utterly hammered them both.

In a lot of sports I think any comparison has to be subjective and the mens and womens game should almost be looked at as separate sports, particularly football.

Basically saying they're behind from lack of good coaching.

I don't buy that. I've seen good goalies at levels that have never been coached.

These ladies have probably had more coaching than most junior teams.

Why are they prone to be so bad? A bit like African keepers historically.
I totally agree, I’ve said for years, if a girl wanted to make money in the FM game then concentrate on the goalkeeping position, because being polite 99% are Crap. two things I’ve noticed their agility is extremely poor, and their normally over weight. So if you want a percentage fee of a big transfer study up on Goalkeeping.

There are few sports where physical attributes being removed (height, weight, strength, etc.) make for a level, competitive playing field.

Curling is probably one that sticks out for me.

I’m sure there are others though (darts?).

Agree one of the main problems is lack of height for a lot of them and they look tiny in the goals. However, the average man in the 1870s was 5'5" tall, compared to 5'10" now, so back in the early days of football, the men probably looked equally lacking in stature. Come back in 150 years and I'm sure the wummin will have grown into the goals!

I played amateur at the same club for 15 seasons. Every single keeper I played with I would rate as superior to what I see in women's ''top flight''.
And the outfield players too. Disgraceful that all this money and tv coverage is being thrown at the womens game, all in the name of equality.
I get accused of sexism, but it's nothing to do with that. Professional footballs
Rewards should be based on ability, not this trumped up sham.

There are few sports where physical attributes being removed (height, weight, strength, etc.) make for a level, competitive playing field.

Curling is probably one that sticks out for me.

I’m sure there are others though (darts?).
Darts, snooker, shooting, racing, chess are all sports/games where women should logically be able to compete at the same level as men, but they don't and can't. The maddest to me is darts, there should be zero reason for separate women's events.

Who? :D

Might have a different view after meet and 2 veg sliced and diced.

Darts, snooker, shooting, racing, chess are all sports/games where women should logically be able to compete at the same level as men, but they don't and can't. The maddest to me is darts, there should be zero reason for separate women's events.
Don’t agree with snooker, a lot of power is necessary for certain shots.

Racing is interesting. Maybe rallies and the like but I’m not sure the female body could cope with the rigours of F1.

There isn't a single rational argument for equal pay. Not one. It's all based on gender politics rather than baby facts.
The same people arguing for equal pay are the same people who think men who identify as women should be allowed to compete with women.

Throbbers.

The article comments on how the women's game is 50 years behind the men's game. Having grown up in the 60s I can't ever remember seeing goalkeeping as bad as you see in the women's game. Better coaching would help but it can't overcome a general lack of athleticism and agility which is often the case with girly goalies.

Im sure someone suggested before that its something to do with womens spacial awareness. Makes sense. My Mrs is clumsy as %^*& lol.
I remember reading years ago that scientific studies showed that women couldn't park a car as well as men because their brains aren't wired for it, the spatial awareness is inherently worse. But you get women fighter pilots and stuff.
In conclusion, I have no idea WTF I'm talking about and women's football is terrible.

Cringe at demands for equal pay . Well when you get same crowds , TV coverage , sponsorship and facilities , we can talk - I think it pish ! Only sport where women are nearly on a par with men is golf.
Thats not the subject of this thread! Although I do agree:)

Back