World class players to have played in Scotland.

Eddie McCreadie for East Fife is another that springs to mind after the passing of Bobby Brown. Sold to Chelsea early 60's I think.

Part of the 67 team that won at Wembley he was a hard bassa.

And scored a winner in Final for them, 80 yard run and tuck under Banks, that isn't on film.

Only Scottish player I’ve seen that played in Scotland that could be classed as “World Class” Is Jim Baxter. Plenty of others that were very good, but we use world class to freely Dalglish was excellent but not world class.

Remember when ronaldinho nearly came on loan to Scotland. Haha that would of ended his career before it started

My definition of world class is different from many here I have to say. World class to me is among the very best of a generation. Would get into a world 11. That type of player

Steve Archibald played for Spurs, Barca and Espanyol and about 500 sh1tty teams in Scotland during his career. Maybe not world class but a strong CV for a lad from Rutherglen.
Ive just read he used to play for Fernhill Athletic the place i grew up in Rutherglen. It says he came back to Hibs i cant even remember that but he has had some career all the same.

My definition of world class is different from many here I have to say. World class to me is among the very best of a generation. Would get into a world 11. That type of player

Id agree with this. Ill still say Sandy Jardine and George Best though.

Only Scottish player I’ve seen that played in Scotland that could be classed as “World Class” Is Jim Baxter. Plenty of others that were very good, but we use world class to freely Dalglish was excellent but not world class.
A lot of Liverpool fans still insist that Dalglish is their best ever player, ahead of the likes of Suarez, Torres, Rush and Gerrard. I’d be inclined to include him in the word class category.

Jimmy Johnstone?

Yes, the term is open to interpretation. My definition would be the 22 best players on the planet at any given time.

Ive just read he used to play for Fernhill Athletic the place i grew up in Rutherglen. It says he came back to Hibs i cant even remember that but he has had some career all the same.
When I was pretty young used to go to see Accies play quite a bit as a friend’s dad (and old neighbour) used to manage them. Remember one occasion they played HIVS and I was standing out side the ground with my mum waiting to get his autograph. The spoon burner’s bus emptied and no sign of Archibald. Turned out he didn’t do buses and he got chauffeured about to different games. It was a ‘wow’ moment at age 7 or 8. Now just sounds like he was a tadger!!

Folk are having a laugh with some of the shouts on this thread. No doubt the majority were absolute top players but we’ve had a very limited number of genuine world class players in Scotland during my lifetime. Over the past 60 years you’ll be lucky to find 10 who genuinely fall into that category.

When I was pretty young used to go to see Accies play quite a bit as a friend’s dad (and old neighbour) used to manage them. Remember one occasion they played HIVS and I was standing out side the ground with my mum waiting to get his autograph. The spoon burner’s bus emptied and no sign of Archibald. Turned out he didn’t do buses and he got chauffeured about to different games. It was a ‘wow’ moment at age 7 or 8. Now just sounds like he was a tadger!!
The big diva maybe he just got the train its not far from Rutherglen :):)

Frank de Boer was world class...just not at us! Gascoigne world class, Larsson and Laudrup absolutely amazing and close to world class (Michael definitely was), Keane was at Man Utd, Gattuso not quite, Ronald de Boer just a bit short of it too. Van Dyke yes at Liverpool, too young to remember Souness, Cooper, Jardine, Dalglish.

My bar for world class is Messi, Zidane, Buffon, Ronaldinho, both Ronaldos, Maldini and guys like that

Some good posts on here but some are good players not in that next level.

Over the years there have been some crackers playing within scotland.

Since the turn of the millennium I would say:

Canniga
Ravenelli
De boers
Larsson
Van dyke

I await the shouts for James Maddison and Mikel Arteta :D

Some good posts on here but some are good players not in that next level.

Over the years there have been some crackers playing within scotland.

Since the turn of the millennium I would say:

Canniga
Ravenelli
De boers
Larsson
Van dyke

I await the shouts for James Maddison and Mikel Arteta :D

How many of them were world class while actually playing here?
Not many.

How many of them were world class while actually playing here?
Not many.

Correct.

I forgot to add Gio also to the list.

I saw Best on an earlier post. The man was done when he was there. It was more of a circus having him there.

Messi could have been here as a 17 year old from Barca "B" if Alex McLeish had got to him in time, or is that an urban myth?

Back