Should Rangers play them in Australia? Yes or No

• Yes

Votes: 145 5.7%
  • No

Votes: 2,407 94.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeeGer10

"The NSW Government Has Secured An Exciting New International Football Event, Which Will See Some Of The World’s Best Football Clubs Playing In Sydney In 2022 And 2025.
The Sydney Super Cup is a new four-team football mini-series featuring two high profile international teams against two of Sydney’s A-League clubs, Sydney FC and Western Sydney Wanderers FC.

The inaugural event is set to make history with traditional Scottish rivals Celtic FC and Glasgow Rangers FC coming out to play their first ever derby outside of Scotland in the 134-year history of the world-famous rivalry.

Minister for Enterprise, Investment and Trade, Minister for Tourism and Sport and Minister for Western Sydney Stuart Ayres said this was a great coup for Sydney.

“Sydney has kicked another goal as Australia’s home of football with the world’s best clubs coming out to play our hometown heroes in the Sydney Super Cup. What better way to start than with a historic rivalry like the Celtic vs Rangers derby,” Mr Ayres said.

“This will be the first time in history this iconic matchup has been played outside of Scotland, so this will be a huge attraction for football fans domestically and abroad.

“With three big matches played over five nights, visiting football fans will have an opportunity for an extended stay in the Harbour City, enjoying our vast cultural offerings, and vibrant hospitality and nightlife in one of the world’s great sporting cities.

“The benefits for our city and state will be huge, as we look to bring visitors back to Sydney by creating a regular blockbuster bi-annual event that will showcase our city, our local teams and our world-class stadiums to the rest of world.

“The NSW Government is focused on delivering marquee events like the Sydney Super Cup that capture the world’s attention, drive the NSW visitor economy and build Sydney’s reputation as the major events capital of the Asia Pacific.”

The NSW Government has secured the Sydney Super Cup for 2022 and 2025 through its tourism and major events agency Destination NSW in partnership with TEG Live.

The 2022 Sydney Super Cup kicks off on Wednesday 16 November. More information about this event and ticket sales will be released soon."

Last edited:
Aye that’s not happening.

I’ve got a rough idea of what’ll happen, it’s a bit mental but stick with me here, after the 5 week break for the World Cup, we resume playing as normal.
The team won't just not play for 5 weeks. They'll be something planned for warm weather training and closed door games at a minimum.

I do agree that it won't be anywhere near Sydney.

The team won't just not play for 5 weeks. They'll be something planned for warm weather training and closed door games at a minimum.

I do agree that it won't be anywhere near Sydney.
I’d imagine most will just be bounce games behind closed doors, don’t think us peasants are going to get our Rangers fix sadly :))

Celtic have probably arranged the game and if they win will just take the points for it.

They tend to control when breaks happen and when games are played.

Has anyone heard anything regarding the World Cup break? Due to shut down for 5 weeks.

My mate in Sydney seems to have heard a rumour we're playing that lot at the Sydney Olympic Stadium...seems unlikely to me.
Won’t Celtic have half their team away on international duty? :p

There’s only one way you market this… and I thought Celtic weren’t half of anything?

Very seriously though… if Rangers have agreed to this idea that we travel across the world to participate in a feel good event for Celtic then it’s an example of the people running Rangers being miles off the page that the fans are on.

If this is true, it's the beginning of the commodification of the Old Firm game, players turned into commodities and the start of Super Cups in the country and playing glamorous friendlies abroad.

That is utterly pathetic. And before the usual cunts start, I don’t care if we’re getting a wee payout.

The OF is continuing down the path to becoming utterly sanitised and dead.

Its the only thing Scotland has got left, and we’re going to turn it into an EPL derby.

This would be a great idea.

We are talking about 2 fans of each club playing on the PS3 Pro Evo here aren't we?

Unfortunately due the terrible TV deal we have, nobody in Scotland can turn down stuff like this. Money is king. Might make for some interesting street battles anyway.

It will be a sell out over there . you will have old firm fans / scottish football fans and then just football fans .

wonder if laurie Mickinna has anything to do with this . he’s heavily involved in oz football

Rangers promoting it as the Old Firm, them promoting it as the Glasgow Derby.

It's a total red neck.

Was just coming on to say the same.

'We aren't half of anything #oneclub since blah blah blah'

They don't use our name or the term old firm to appease their insane support and yet we've to fly over to Australia for a 'glamour tie' against them?

F*ck that.

That is utterly pathetic. And before the usual cunts start, I don’t care if we’re getting a wee payout.

The OF is continuing down the path to becoming utterly sanitised and dead.

Its the only thing Scotland has got left, and we’re going to turn it into an EPL derby.
I was at Wembley on Sunday and even given that I was in an area where the vast majority of tickets were sponsors/comps… the atmosphere and the feel of being at a football match was bloody awful.

It is all so sanitised nowadays, and there is an utter snobbery about this “working class” sport that it won’t be long before canned crowd chanting will be order of the day.

A bit like any successful TV show where they get into later series/seasons and take the show “on the road” (thinking about 24 to London, SOA to Norn Iron..) - as soon as you take a really good thing and try to run it outside of its natural habitat then it is usually a sign of desperation and milking it.

Back