Should Rangers play them in Australia? Yes or No

• Yes

Votes: 145 5.7%
  • No

Votes: 2,407 94.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When you are free born, it is up to you to make individual choices

No idea on numbers, I live an hour outside of Brisbane.
There were 3 sections top and bottom tiers advertised as Rangers support only then another 8 sections either side with spaces in the middle (probably for general sale).
Mates of mine, who are Australian, got tickets in the either side. Weren’t able to get the ones directly behind the goals after 45 mins of logging on to ticketek as the were gone.
Sent me screenshots of the stadium and the ones in colour were available to Telstra customers.

Going by this thread and id say it's more than 5/6 percent of folks are getting on-board for this game
Maybe time for a new poll on this subject to see if this is the case and are people coming round to the idea.
I know this forum isn't totally representative of our fan base but definitely a fair barometer of opinion .
I personally think the board are just riding it out regardless of fan opinion.

If we have a magnificent April ( which we all hope for ) I can't see them changing track .

If it's a shocker ( which none of us want ), the pressure from the fans on this will rocket
FF doesn't speak for even 1% of our fan base but I've yet to meet anyone who is for this friendly game..

Tosh.

I'd like Rangers primarily to take into account what their local support, the lifeblood of the club, think.

Its been long held belief of mine that ex pats in far flung lands suffer from natural disengagement and disconnect from the club and frankly this abomination is evidence of it.

Probably no real feeling, through no fault of their own, of what we all went through during the last 10 years and as a result see nothing wrong with this because they'll get to see Rangers live.

Well there's lots wrong with it.
Can i just re-iterate my own viewpoint mate. I do not think this should take place at all given how they CSA enabling chunts don't even mention our name...I am merely posting that folk in Australia may have a different viewpoint given how rare they get to ever seeing Rangers in the flesh

FF doesn't speak for even 1% of our fan base but I've yet to meet anyone who is for this friendly game..
I know a few who take the view that if it is good for the club in a financial sense then they have no problem with us going, but and there is always a but, they would rather it was someone else we were playing

One of those tickets are for me if I want it, never asked but the email came that morning saying they were going on sale that afternoon so they got extra, up to 6 per Telstra customer.

Can i just re-iterate my own viewpoint mate. I do not think this should take place at all given how they CSA enabling chunts don't even mention our name...I am merely posting that folk in Australia may have a different viewpoint given how rare they get to ever seeing Rangers in the flesh
I think you're heading in right direction.

What has become clear is, although we support the same club, home based bears are a lot different to those overseas

the excuse of "I havent seen rangers in years" wont cut it for me im afraid

Ive been there as have countless others we all knew that when we left these shores

What has become clear is, although we support the same club, home based bears are a lot different to those overseas
They are very very different in many ways, I have been on both sides and whilst I had some great times watching us various places, most were out of touch with our active support here and this was awhile ago

Maybe you should take up your own advice then and think for yourself instead of sooking up the board to keep yer boy in a job.
My son is very good at his job and is there on merit
You obviously don't know me if you think I 'sook' up to anyone and I think your post is an utter disgrace
If you aren't able to read, get someone to read out my posts where I have said on numerous occasions that I disagree with playing this game against Celtic

My son is very good at his job and is there on merit
You obviously don't know me if you think I 'sook' up to anyone and I think your post is an utter disgrace
If you aren't able to read, get someone to read out my posts where I have said on numerous occasions that I disagree with playing this game against Celtic
We will agree to disagree then because connection with the club and support hasn’t been further apart in a long time. He tells us where to park at away games and that’s our whack. Dosnt reply to mails, even the polite ones I sent at the first instance before he started patching me.

You hear from Peter Murrell of the SNP more than yer boy. Anyway, enough about him.

I also understand that, as I said if it was anyone other than Celtic I’d have probably looked to travel over for a wee break

I think rangers should be doing tours every 4/5 years so fans in Oceania/North America get the chance to attend. Even the game in Dubai would’ve given expats a chance to attend a game

Just firmly believe celtic being the opposition is a non-negotiable in my mind

I don’t know about Australia but we don’t have a huge following in North America - attendances at the most recent games in Ottawa & Charleston haven’t been good, albeit our teams weren’t the greatest either.

The global brand is a bit of a myth. The Club should concentrate on the domestic support.

I don’t know about Australia but we don’t have a huge following in North America - attendances at the most recent games in Ottawa & Charleston haven’t been good, albeit our teams weren’t the greatest either.

The global brand is a bit of a myth. The Club should concentrate on the domestic support.
If we played in Toronto there would be a good few thousand North American based fans there.

Charleston isn’t as accessible as Toronto, either will Ottawa be

We will agree to disagree then because connection with the club and support hasn’t been further apart in a long time. He tells us where to park at away games and that’s our whack. Dosnt reply to mails, even the polite ones I sent at the first instance before he started patching me.

You hear from Peter Murrell of the SNP more than yer boy. Anyway, enough about him.
You are a disgrace bringing Greg into a post to have a go at me Mr ML677

Not the biggest sample size and only for a short time (about 3 months) mostly spent in and around Canberra but most of the people I spoke to about football either didn't really care about it or were only really interested in the EPL.

As I said I am not really fussed either way about the match to be honest.

Main reason for going over is the missus hasn’t been to Sydney yet. Heading over with my Irish mate and his missus (not really a Celtic fan more Liverpool tbh)

Probably the most concerning thing is the missus’s have booked the 4 of us tickets in the mixed fan area, I’m not too sure the organisers have thought that one through tbh

Anyway, it’s just a game of football and a chance to see Sydney. You only live once.
Wait until you get to Sydney and see how much of a Liverpool fan he is.

I think the painful truth is that you are right, we should be concentrating on our core support and anything else should be seen as a bonus

I think there will be a lot of older ex pats that don’t do forums or podcasts and are maybe out of the loop when it comes to the general thoughts and opinions of the Rangers support about this that will go from Perth to Melbourne to see this game.
Taking there family members etc.
My mates that are Rangers fans are Australian with Scottish Rangers supporting families that had no idea about the backlash from this before I told them.
They just want to go and can’t understand it all. There will be thousands like them.

I’m angry about the situation but don’t see how the SLO gets blamed here?

It’s evidently clear it’s club policy to keep quiet, why would he speak out and risk his job? Don’t know his personal circumstances but he could have a family etc to provide for. Would you do something that puts your job in jeopardy?

If we played in Toronto there would be a good few thousand North American based fans there.

Charleston isn’t as accessible as Toronto, either will Ottawa be

Ottawa is only an hour’s flight, 4 hours on the train from Toronto. The crowd was around 8,500 including yahoos (yes, their Ottawa SC booked a block of tickets, for example).

Charleston had about 6k. Both great trips, though.

I

It’s evidently clear it’s club policy to keep quiet, why would he speak out and risk his job? Don’t know his personal circumstances but he could have a family etc to provide for. Would you do something that puts your job in jeopardy?
The fact that apparently a lot of tickets have already been sold and the club has said nothing either promoting or even acknowledging it says a lot about how people within the club are being instructed to handle this IMO.

I hope this is a sign that they're slightly embarrassed by this decision but I'm fully prepared to be let down with an eventual statement along the lines of "the large number of tickets sold shows that this was worthwhile etc."

Ottawa is only an hour’s flight, 4 hours on the train from Toronto. The crowd was around 8,500 including yahoos (yes, their Ottawa SC booked a block of tickets, for example).

Charleston had about 6k. Both great trips, though.

I
I’d love a game vs Toronto fc at the BMO

The fact that apparently a lot of tickets have already been sold and the club has said nothing either promoting or even acknowledging it says a lot about how people within the club are being instructed to handle this IMO.

I hope this is a sign that they're slightly embarrassed by this decision but I'm fully prepared to be let down with an eventual statement along the lines of "the large number of tickets sold shows that this was worthwhile etc."
I’ve had some well publicised disagreements with him on here but I’ve always maintained he does a good job under difficult circumstances

Its evident he’s told to stay silent in certain situations, in all seriousness I think most of us would do the same. Easy to say you’d do X, Y and Z in that role, different when you’re in the role and got a family/bills to pay

Just another cowardly attack on Greg to have a go at me

Think people are trying to compare when Rangers played Blackburn in Australia or played games in America against MLS teams and the support that attracted.
This is Rangers v Celtic, totally different ball game.
This game will sell, it already has been so far and it’s not even on general sale yet.
Not saying I agree with it but just making that point, this isn’t Rangers v Middlesbrough or even v Tottenham or such like in some pre season friendly.
People will make an effort to go see this from Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth etc.

Poor me?

I pay roughly $1000 (AUD) for a season ticket that I have used exactly 3 times in 5+ years. My last count spent on the Castore store is over $1200. That's just this season. I pay for the premium international RTV package. I pay $25 a month for a shitty sports app that allows me to see Rangers games on the tv.

I was born in Australia. My father moved here 47 years ago. I live and breathe Rangers as much as someone who was born in Scotland and raised as a bear. I'm raising my only son to be a bear

Am I not allowed to go see Rangers FC in person when they happen to be in actual same hemisphere?

And for the record again, I don't agree with the friendly in any shape or form. I still haven't made my mind up if I am going or not.
funnily enough, our situations are fiercely similar. my dad moved to sydney in 1980. im 34 years old, born and raised in sydney. now live in london and have a ST at Ibrox, but my family are still in sydney. none of us are going. none of us are interested. our extended family (dads expat friends who're scottish but live in sydney) none of them going. i have a little baby on the way, who will be brought up a bear or bearette. fair play for giving the club the support you give. but you cant say you dont agree with the friendly going ahead, then go to it. i know you said you havent made up your mind about it yet, but surely if you dont agree with it, tells you enough about whether you would even be considering going?

A poll on FF has no relevance
When the result shows 95% are against it then it is relevant. I also know dozens of fans outside of this forum and not one of them is in support of this. The poll is accurate in that it is a minority that are in favour of this abomination.

The club are a disgrace over this and the silence from our cowardly Managing Director is an utter embarrassment.

Think people are trying to compare when Rangers played Blackburn in Australia or played games in America against MLS teams and the support that attracted.
This is Rangers v Celtic, totally different ball game.
This game will sell, it already has been so far and it’s not even on general sale yet.
Not saying I agree with it but just making that point, this isn’t Rangers v Middlesbrough or even v Tottenham or such like in some pre season friendly.
People will make an effort to go see this from Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth etc.

That's understandable. But it's not just about seeing Rangers then - it's about watching Rangers in specific circumstances. That goes against some of the arguments being used to justify this particular game.

Are tickets sold as packages for both our games or individually? It'll be interesting to see the comparison.

My point is just a wider one, though, in that I don't think the global brand is big thing. The guaranteed fee from the organisers have obviously made this worthwhile.

Wait until you get to Sydney and see how much of a Liverpool fan he is.
He is a Celtic/Liverpool fan. Genuine Irish Catholic from Dublin. But a decent bloke, not a plastic paddy like the ones you get in Scotland.

I think that will be the best thing that can come out of this match. Taking the old firm out of the hyperbole of Scotland and realising that there is a big world out there with many cultures.

Once people see that mixed fan areas for the old firm can work in other countries, perhaps they will realise that all of the bigoted baggage that goes with it all in Scotland is just nonsense.

Already said it wasnt indicative of our whole fan base
Just felt that more than 5 percent on here are in favour going by some of the responses
I would guess that most of that 5% are probably based in Australia.

I'm one of them, and I don't really see the issue.

Nothing against them is ever a friendly. I fail to see the negative here.

The only arguments I've read so far have been centred around how it's potentially a hero's homecoming for the Fat Flange.

What happens when we win 56 & they're knocked out CL before they go? It will be delightful to see the fallout.

He is a Celtic/Liverpool fan. Genuine Irish Catholic from Dublin. But a decent bloke, not a plastic paddy like the ones you get in Scotland.

I think that will be the best thing that can come out of this match. Taking the old firm out of the hyperbole of Scotland and realising that there is a big world out there with many cultures.

Once people see that mixed fan areas for the old firm can work in other countries, perhaps they will realise that all of the bigoted baggage that goes with it all in Scotland is just nonsense.
You have to be taking the piss now

That's understandable. But it's not just about seeing Rangers then - it's about watching Rangers in specific circumstances. That goes against some of the arguments being used to justify this particular game.

Are tickets sold as packages for both our games or individually? It'll be interesting to see the comparison.

My point is just a wider one, though, in that I don't think the global brand is big thing. The guaranteed fee from the organisers have obviously made this worthwhile.

The games are being sold separately, the game against Sydney Wanderers is on a Wednesday night before the Sunday game v Celtic.

Again, I don’t agree with this game going ahead. The game kicks off at 7:30pm on the Sunday night in a stadium that is out with the city centre with only one train line. I don’t know Sydney well but as I understand it there isn’t much around the stadium so supporters will have to travel in from the city centre.

I personally think it’s a ridiculous idea. However, it’s Rangers v Celtic, people will want to go all over Australia as it’s something that’s never happened and probably won’t again.

Back