World Cup: Japan fans impress by cleaning up stadium

GourockBlue50

Official Ticketer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44492611

_102121611_japanfan.jpg
Image copyrightREUTERS

After a heated World Cup match, the stands are usually left with food waste, cups and wrappers scattered in the heat of the moment.

Japanese fans certainly had reason to go wild on Tuesday night. Their side won their opening game, beating Colombia 2-1, and securing the team's first victory against a South American side.

But after the team swept Colombia off the pitch, Japanese fans also did their share of sweeping: meticulously cleaning up their rows and seats in the stadium.

Equipped with large rubbish bags they brought along, the fans marched through the rows picking up rubbish, to leave the place just as neat as they had found it.

And not for the first time - supporters of the "Samurai Blue" have never failed to stick to their good manners.

Skip Twitter post by @Coachmckaig
"); background-position: 16px 13px; border: 0px solid rgb(255, 255, 255); border-radius: 4px; font-weight: initial; margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; visibility: visible; display: block; position: static; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px;">

Christopher McKaig@Coachmckaig

https://twitter.com/Coachmckaig/status/1009177819589439489

This is my favourite moment of the World Cup so far; Japan fans picking up litter after their victory vs Columbia. The lessons in life we can take from the game. Why I support
1f1ef-1f1f5.png
#class
2705.png
#respect
2705.png
#WorldCup

9:55 PM - Jun 19, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

End of Twitter post by @Coachmckaig

_97415642_007_in_numbers_624.png

"It's not just part of the football culture but part of Japanese culture," Japan-based football journalist Scott McIntyre told the BBC. He is in Russia following the team and was not at all surprised by the somewhat different nature of Samurai Blue fans.

"You often hear people say that football is a reflection of culture. An important aspect of Japanese society is making sure that everything is absolutely clean and that's the case in all sporting events and certainly also in football."

_101534405_presentational_grey_line464-nc.png

More on the World Cup from the BBC:

_101534405_presentational_grey_line464-nc.png

A habit built from childhood
Senegal fans have in fact been seen doing the same at this year's World Cup - but it's the Japanese who pioneered it and are now famous for it.

It is something that comes as a surprise to many foreigners attending matches in Japan.

"They might leave a bottle or some kind of food package on the ground and then it's often the case that people get tapped on the shoulder by Japanese people indicating they should clean up or take it home but can't leave it there," Mr McIntyre says.

_102121612_japanfans.jpg
Image copyrightAFP
Image captionJapan fans certainly know how to celebrate
It's a habit drilled into Japanese people from early childhood.

"Cleaning up after football matches is an extension of basic behaviours that are taught in school, where the children clean their school classrooms and hallways," explains Scott North, professor of sociology at Osaka University.

"With constant reminders throughout childhood, these behaviours become habits for much of the population."

Skip Twitter post by @aulty
"); background-position: 16px 13px; border: 0px solid rgb(255, 255, 255); border-radius: 4px; font-weight: initial; margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; visibility: visible; display: block; position: static; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px;">

Aulty@aulty

https://twitter.com/aulty/status/1009193594597433344

Japanese fans clean up stadium after their win vs Colombia...#Russia2018 #Inspiring #Japan #football #WorldCup #mademesmile #learnfromjapan #inspiration #JPNCOL #JPN #Fans

10:57 PM - Jun 19, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

End of Twitter post by @aulty

I was in Japan a few years ago and they organised a sports day at one of the plants where I was visiting, they were playing football and baseball, there must have been thousands in attendance. It was a big company wide event, anyway after the event was finished they all started to walk around the stands, walkways and car parks picking up rubbish and cleaning away any spills. Everybody was part of this, I was very surprised to see this as they generally throw rubbish away in real-time but they still went through everything thoroughly and even the recycling was meticulous. With most folks chipping in they were done in about 30 minutes and you would never have thought anybody had been there.

Class.

Saw a horrible video yesterday of some Colombian arsehole videoing himself getting a couple of Japanese women to speak Spanish to him.

He essentially told them what to say and had them unknowingly calling themselves bitches and whores. Actually made me hope Colombia get papped out at the earliest opportunity.

I see the Jock Stein Memorial Duck Pond is still as lovely as ever.

Aye the Japanese are first rate in most aspects of life. A stunning place to visit and I recommend it. When you see the locals sometimes wearing facemasks in public it's because they are carrying a cold or the like and don't wish to pass it on to their fellow countrymen...great wee what seems an idiosyncracy is in fact the norm.

This is why Japan turned their country around quickly after a devastating tsunami.

Insert 20 million Japanese into one of these shambolic African shithole countries (put them in charge, put the local politicians in prison) and come back in 2o years and you would have a modern working country that feeds and houses all its people.

This is why Japan turned their country around quickly after a devastating tsunami.

Insert 20 million Japanese into one of these shambolic African shithole countries (put them in charge, put the local politicians in prison) and come back in 2o years and you would have a modern working country that feeds and houses all its people.
Lived over there for around five years back in the 90s. Everyone chips in. The kids help clean the schools. The orderly lines for food after the tsunami are typical. If it says "Take One" they take one. No need to hustle to the front of the line and fill your pockets. You can leave doors unlocked and car windows open, even in major cities. No one takes anything other than the odd drunk person stealing your umbrella or bike.

Yep. It’s a great wee car: efficient and reliable. Do you base every spending decision on where it was made or built.

Well my principles are my principles, and they can’t be bought for a few Yen. However I like the Japanese - but I’m not taking a French car anytime soon for mechanical reasons.

The problem is I can’t honestly say I detest or mistrust a current people for historical reasons. If I hated a country or people strongly, for moral reasons, then I would not buy from them. I suppose if the Nazis still had a car factory I would not buy from them. If the Klu Klux Klan had a factory - with really magnificent deals on white cars - then no to them also.

It’s hard for me to hate a modern country for historical reasons. As said before, we British - as real world ‘Civilisation IV’ world champions - might be unpopular with some ourselves. I’m not playing that game as it’s a bottomless pit, and I refuse any counter blame myself. It was different times - and It was basically an empire building arms race. We had ships of the line and nice red coats - and we were largely magnificent at this game.

Great story and a lesson for us all.
Everyone can learn from the Japanese here, and perhaps we should all try to improve not just as individuals but as groups.
Great societies are made by a people behaving as if they are great.

I was in Parc des Princes the night that McFadden scored to beat the French.

My late dad and I travelled over a couple of days before the match and stayed till the day after.

On the day of the game we went across to The Eiffel Tower where naturally thousands of Scots were congregating. The mess was unbelievable. The amount of beer cans and bottles discarded by the useless and stupid in the ranks was an embarrassment.

To be fair, there were a couple of lads and lassies wearing official travel club t shirts handing out black bags and asking numpties to be more considerate but they were largely ignored and sometimes mocked.

I think back to how the Rangers fans we’re derided back home when Catalunya Square was left in a mess before the match we lost in the Camp Nou.

Having been at both games, and in both areas where the fans got together, there was no difference, well except the press reaction.

As a Rangers fan, I was part of a rowdy, scummy mob. As a Scotland fan, I was part of a great crowd, just having a laugh and a bevy.

And to think there's a load of fuckwits in my own town can't even be bothered throwing rubbish in a bin that's right beside them, grinds my gears!

And to think there's a load of fuckwits in my own town can't even be bothered throwing rubbish in a bin that's right beside them, grinds my gears!
Mine too mate, my absolute biggest everyday irritation in life. My old girl brought me up to never consider dropping litter which I've taken through life and hopefully passed on to my kids. It's your rubbish, fvcking own it and get rid of it responsibly, don't leave it for all of us to look at.

Just think if the Tims tour of Japan had went ahead they might have brought this tradition back with them, then again they could learn the Japanese about sweeping things away.

Look at the fuukin state of that place. Glesga distric cooncil will be on the joab free gratis.

You'll no see that at the next commonwealth gemmes.
Don’t worry soon enough you will be paying for an upgrade or new stadium as a glasgow council tax payer!

Well my principles are my principles, and they can’t be bought for a few Yen. However I like the Japanese - but I’m not taking a French car anytime soon for mechanical reasons.

The problem is I can’t honestly say I detest or mistrust a current people for historical reasons. If I hated a country or people strongly, for moral reasons, then I would not buy from them. I suppose if the Nazis still had a car factory I would not buy from them. If the Klu Klux Klan had a factory - with really magnificent deals on white cars - then no to them also.

It’s hard for me to hate a modern country for historical reasons. As said before, we British - as real world ‘Civilisation IV’ world champions - might be unpopular with some ourselves. I’m not playing that game as it’s a bottomless pit, and I refuse any counter blame myself. It was different times - and It was basically an empire building arms race. We had ships of the line and nice red coats - and we were largely magnificent at this game.
My last 6 cars have been French and never had any mechanical trouble, maybe I've been lucky.

I see the Jock Stein Memorial Duck Pond is still as lovely as ever.

Aye the Japanese are first rate in most aspects of life. A stunning place to visit and I recommend it. When you see the locals sometimes wearing facemasks in public it's because they are carrying a cold or the like and don't wish to pass it on to their fellow countrymen...great wee what seems an idiosyncracy is in fact the norm.
Commonwealth games, GCC and Co Op dodgy loans will have fixed that bit.

Great stuff by Japan, something we should all do especially at Ibrox! Take your rubbish away with you and save Rangers some money in clearing up and disposal!

Would love to see this attitude more widely spread. Sadly, zero chance. See the wee cunts who stuff their McD's down their throat in the retail parks and then tip the crap out the window, when there's a bin 5 yards away.

I have a mate who is a lot more grumpy than me plus slightly scary when pissed off,

We were in McD's in Burnley and some we scrote chucked out his burger box and drinks carton right beside the bin, out gets my mate picks up the rubbish and chucks it back in the wee scrotes window this wee prick went tonto until he seen sense and backed down shitting it as my mate was running a mixed martial arts gym at the time and the wee prick recognised him. it's not a bad thing to tidy up after yourself I don't leave shite at my arse and don't expect anyone to pick up my crap be it at the football or cinema.

My last 6 cars have been French and never had any mechanical trouble, maybe I've been lucky.

I got tricked into basically going against my decades long refusal of French vehicles, and actually a bought a French vehicle in disguise a few years back. A Toyota Aygo for my wife who previously had the excellent Yaris. Never had a problem with any Toyota over many vehicles until this one reared it’s head. Every single piece of rubber (door seals, boot seals, etc) leaked at some point, and electric problems ensued. Clutch went at 28k and went again at 60k. I went on to the Toyota forums about this piece of shit and it turns out this particular Toyota is actually a Peugeot in disguise. The only thing Toyota supplied was the engine and the gearbox. The difference between the fully Toyota made vehicles and this French Toyota was night and day.

I have a mate who is a lot more grumpy than me plus slightly scary when pissed off,

We were in McD's in Burnley and some we scrote chucked out his burger box and drinks carton right beside the bin, out gets my mate picks up the rubbish and chucks it back in the wee scrotes window this wee prick went tonto until he seen sense and backed down shitting it as my mate was running a mixed martial arts gym at the time and the wee prick recognised him. it's not a bad thing to tidy up after yourself I don't leave shite at my arse and don't expect anyone to pick up my crap be it at the football or cinema.

This mate is named Collin?

Back