Worse set-ups than the Scottish Premiership "split"

I miss the days of an 18 team league when we only went to Tynecastle, Easter road or Pittodrie one game per season.

A visit to one of these ground was a special occasion, there was a build up in the week leading up to the game. You checked the fixture list at the start of the season for these fixtures and really look forward to them.

Hmm, it does rarely happen though does it not? this season apart.

I am debating though with someone who thinks a song about Ibrox and Rangers fans has no relevance to the club whatsoever though?

You’re not “ debating “ with me, you are claiming we never play teams 7 times when it’s going to happen twice this season alone , and saying I’m “ thick “ ffs :rolleyes:

For the record playing each other four times a season is already too many .

When it becomes 5,6 or 7 times a season it has proper football people like Gerrard scratching their heads , and rightly so . It’s pathetic , turgid and indefensible .

A bit like your posts .

You’re now on ignore .

As far as I can see the whole question of increased leaugue size boils down to revenue generated by us & the scum

When we were in the lower divisions - at least the blue pound was shared by other teams - who badly needed a boost to their meagre earnings

Again as far as I can see it's the likes of the sheep, hiv's, jambos etc. that keep the current restricted size of league going because they want a minimum of 4 big pay days against us & the scum & won't ever vote for an increased league size

Well to my mind their greed & short sightedness or their ability to generate a better fan base isn't a good enough reason to thwart other clubs ambitions or potentially decrease the quality or entertainment value of our national league set up

I appreciate that playing the jambos ought to be more entertaining than playing Alloa - but taking an 'elitest' approach isn't acceptable either -

I can't imagine anyone being symlathetic to Man City saying they don't want to play Hudddersfield - or Spurs & Arsenal saying reduce the league size because they want twice the revenue playing top 6 sides 4 times - it might not be an identical comparison but it's similar

Whatever number of clubs in the league there is - the total revenue doesn't change
I reckon it's time to re-distribute that revenue back to more clubs & get us back to playing in a proper national competition instead of the mickey mouse footballing fiasco we've become

And look at the state of the game , they knew we’d be back so they’d get that money again, longer term would harm them so they wouldn’t vote it.

Also , you would rather play teams like Morton , Ayr , Qost than playing Aberdeen Celtic hearts etc home and away twice ? That’s all the league needs , filled up way even more crap with worst stadiums and lower attendances. You’d suit running the SFA , not got a clue like the rest of them.
The eighteen team league prior to 1975 had Scottish teams in no less than half a dozen, I can count eight, European semi finals.
Since 75, I think we managed four.

As far as I can see the whole question of increased leaugue size boils down to revenue generated by us & the scum

When we were in the lower divisions - at least the blue pound was shared by other teams - who badly needed a boost to their meagre earnings

Again as far as I can see it's the likes of the sheep, hiv's, jambos etc. that keep the current restricted size of league going because they want a minimum of 4 big pay days against us & the scum & won't ever vote for an increased league size

Well to my mind their greed & short sightedness or their ability to generate a better fan base isn't a good enough reason to thwart other clubs ambitions or potentially decrease the quality or entertainment value of our national league set up

I appreciate that playing the jambos ought to be more entertaining than playing Alloa - but taking an 'elitest' approach isn't acceptable either -

I can't imagine anyone being symlathetic to Man City saying they don't want to play Hudddersfield - or Spurs & Arsenal saying reduce the league size because they want twice the revenue playing top 6 sides 4 times - it might not be an identical comparison but it's similar

Whatever number of clubs in the league there is - the total revenue doesn't change
I reckon it's time to re-distribute that revenue back to more clubs & get us back to playing in a proper national competition instead of the mickey mouse footballing fiasco we've become

Excellent post .

No you’ve got you’re head firmly stuck up your arse .

As I predicted straight away the usual suspects excuses “ but but the quality will be diluted “ :rolleyes: what quality ??

And the tv companies nonsense , two old firm games with massive interest still would have us with a similar tv deal . Fact .

And finally the “ other teams won’t want it they need to play the old firm twice a season for income “ well in afraid that was blown out the water when we weren’t in the league and they all boasted how great they got on without us . Why the Fck should we subsidise the rest of the league by filling their stadiums for them ?

This narrow mindset does my nut in .

A 20 team league isn’t perfect but it’s better . No stupid split , fixture imbalance and uncertainty , no playing teams 7 times a Fcking season , games where we may actually see some young players get a chance , playoffs for relegation / promotion the same as the EPL / championship which has been a resounding success , loads of positives .

So many fans on here seem to love playing the likes of Aberdeen , hibs , Kilmarnock 7 times a season and would be panicking about “ diluting the quality “ ??

Pish .
Ok no bother mate your right and everyone else is wrong.

14 teams . play home/away = 26 Games. Split into a top 7 and bottom 7 play each other home and away again equals another 12 games for a season total 38.

Although I prefer the idea of a top 20 , your idea has merit and is definitely better than what we have currently .

I’ve absolutely no idea why we don’t at least move onto your model .

Irish league in recent years added a play off for a european spot to add some incentive to the split. If you finish 6th or even 7th (depending on wins the other cups etc) you could still qualify via a european play off. For example 3rd place team in the league play the 6th place team in a semi final play off, with 4th vs 5th. Then winners play the final for a euro spot.

Is the Brazilian league regional as well?

Not sure if it's Brazil or Argentina where they basically play two league seasons per year?

Given the pittance we get from TV I'd be tempted to tell them to shove it and let us, the filth and anyone else who wants it have the right to sell our own TV rights.
But being part of the SPL means we’re not allowed to do that. Catch 22 I’m afraid.

Top 7 and bottom 7 wouldn't work properly as you would have one team without a game every time, it needs to be an even number split.
So I would be more than happy with the previously mentioned top 6 bottom 8 as at least it's fair to every team.
I do like the split as it does lead to more meaningful games but it's so wrong and unfair to have 1 home and 3 away as we have had many a time.
If the poets had Tannadice Easter Rd Pittodrie 3 times away there would have been a f ucking outcry.
The people behind run our game are certainly not The People

Won’t happen because the rest of the spl needs the money from two home games against the old firm.
Never said it will happen bud.But it is the the answer.
If only some smaller teams hooked up
with their neighbor like Inverness did decades ago,we could probably have a decent,competitive 20 team league.

The split, could be ok. If you were guaranteed the same number of home and away ties against each team. Since we cant, its a farce.

You could reduce it to ten teams and follow the same format.

Or.....this is wild. Expand it to 20 teams and play each side twice.
14 team league. Play each other twice. 26 games . Split top 6 bottom 8. The top 6 play each other twice giving 36 games. Bottom 8 do the same giving 40 games.. TV still get 4 Rangers v Celtic games.

The only way a split works in my mind is how the Americans do it: the top go into a play-off for the championship, the bottom play-off to stay in the league. And where it doesn't work is in a 12 team leagues where you get an odd number of games.

Back