Worst football injury at a match you were at

klosrfc

Thinking of Aribo the other night it got me wondering.

What was the worst injury you have seen in person at a football match to happen to a player?

Albert Morrison of Kilmarnock suffering a leg break in a friendly against us in the early 80’s after a challenge by Gregor Stevens. Horrendous.

Hutton's leg break was nasty. Heard the crack in the Govan Front.

Honourable mention to Lambert headbutting Albertz's knee. A beautiful moment on a number of levels.
Once you hear a leg break, you never forget. I've heard 3 in person, The last was 90 yards away and I knew.

Not a professional match but saw a double tibia leg break about 2ft away from me during a game at Glasgow Green.

The sound still haunts me.

During a professional match probably Huttons leg break. I remember the stadium being suspiciously silent and the crunch echoed.

Not a professional match but saw a double tibia leg break about 2ft away from me during a game at Glasgow Green.

During a professional match probably Huttons leg break. I remember the stadium being suspiciously silent and the crunch echoed.
When Terry Butcher broke Bobby Barr of Hamiltons leg heard crack in the Main Stand.

BB massive Gers fan aswell never fully recovered.

When that cnut Auld went over the ball and broke Davie Provan’s leg it wasn’t pretty.

Simpson’s attempted murder of Ian Durrant was even worse.

Think the worst one I’ve seen was the one that mangled Larsson’s leg in about three places. Although much of that was more to do with the ground than the tackle it was still horrendous.

When that cnut Auld went over the ball and broke Davie Provan’s leg it wasn’t pretty.

Simpson’s attempted murder of Ian Durrant was even worse.

Think the worst one I’ve seen was the one that mangled Larsson’s leg in about three places. Although much of that was more to do with the ground than the tackle it was still horrendous.

That was his shin guard that made it look worse.

That b@stard Simpson's attempted murder on wee Durrant is by far the worst.

Wee lad broke his leg in 3 places playing against my team a few years ago at amateur.

I thought he was at it right enough, went over and had a look and thought his shin guard had just come loose. Went for a drink at the side and told everyone he was a cheating wee bastard and nothing was wrong. 30 mins later he was in the ambulance.

I played in a game when I was younger which was the last match of a League Cup type tournament with a sectional group stage.

We played the last match of the group stage against a team that couldn’t qualify but we had to win to go through to the quarter finals. It was a four hour round trip for them on a Tuesday night in the middle of winter so playing us was the last thing they would have wanted as it was completely meaningless for them. But it turned out even worse!

We won 5-0 but I broke the opposition striker’s collar bone when he landed awkwardly after coming off second best in a challenge for a header. My centre half partner then broke his replacement’s leg - albeit in a fair tackle.

The cracking sound was horrific. Then came his screams. Something that will live with me forever.

Still feel bad about whole game nearly 12 years later!

I giave a short pass during a game and my m8 went for a 50-50 ball.

The crack I will never forget and can hear it the now as I’m writing this.
His leg broke in a few places and shattered in another place.
When the ambulance arrived the paramedic gave him gas and he was trying to stand up.

Lost his job and house.

Ricksen and one of our players when both went for a header.

Mols in Munich, the way he lay on the turf I knew it was serious.

In person I broke an opponents knee cap, fully committed to the tackle and he just nicked the bouncing ball away, always remember the noise, it was completely unintentional, which was very surprising for me :D

Was at Pittodrie that fateful day Ian Durrant was the victim of an intentional act of thuggery from that bastard Simpson.

It has always grated on me that the press never ever hounded Simpson afterwards, it was almost as though they got together afterwards and agreed that he was as much a victim as Ian and had to be shown some sympathy. Ffs he just ruined the career of a player who would have been IMHO, a Eorld star.

Durrant at Pittodrie. If the Gers fans in the beach end had been aware of both the viciousness of the tackle and the seriousness of the wee mans injury I think it’s fair to say there would have been serious consequences in Aberdeen that day thereafter.

Seen the late Neale Cooper break his leg for the sheep v Dumbarton back in the early 80s, could hear the crack about 50 metres away, it looked and sounded horrendous and the game just died immediately after that.

Definitely Durrant at Pittodrie. The fact that it was as a result of malicious intent made it all the worse. The absolute hate on that cnut Simpsons face:mad:

Mine was playing amateur and I was playing centre half. Boy in front of me playing defensive mid went for a 50/50. There was an almighty snap then his leg was completely mangled with the sole of his right foot ending up facing his left calf muscle.

Ended the lads football career at the age of 18. Grim.

Same. Boy in the opposition team went to spin and his studs stuck in the turf. Snapped his leg. The noise was horrific.

Playing for the Pars youth team against Falkirk. Falkirk boys studs caught on the top of one of our boys shin pad. Studs managed to rip down and open up the side of his shin bone. You could see the muscle and everything.

One that sticks out for me was lukaku on lloris, remember watching it live and he just about took his head clean off with his knee, horrible.

Davie Craig at an East Stirling game at Firs Park, you could hear it from the main stand. He was left on the pitch as they could not get an ambulance into the ground for 20 mins as someone had double parked outside the gates and it could not get in to pick him up, terrible

Fortune enough not to see any major injuries at a rangers game.

Worst for me was my wee cousin in primary 6. Two went in for a slide challenge. The other boy caught him just above the knee. Tore the flesh off the bone in an L shape. Easily 3-4 inches each way right down to the bone. Horrible.

We were asked if we wanted to call full time there. All the players did. One parent made us play on. We lost a last minute goal which ultimately sent us out the cup on away goals. Not annoyed of course :)

Huttons leg break. I was sitting in the broomy rear and still heard the thud from the challenge

Huttons leg break was right in fromt of me & the noise was haunting! I’m sure been at matches when players done their ACL but Huttons comes to mind first.

For being able to hear a guys bone snap from 50 metres away, I'll have to say Hutton.

A youth game against Hearts about 8-9 years ago, my best pal went in for a slide tackle and completely missed timed it and just clipped the boy, we all heard what we though was shin guards coming together.

ran past my pal lying on the ground and i though he was laughing and told him to get f*cking up, then the screams started and everyone noticed his leg was basically hanging off. He had got one of those big metal studs caught in the grass and his weight and the boy he tried to tackles weight were on it and it went.

Just remember my old dear running onto the pitch and waiting with him until the ambulance came and the woman lino coming over and trying to take his mind off it "so you're an arsenal fan who is your favourite player?" "F*UUUUUUUUUUCK" was the reply she got:))

I also had a penalty later in the game and i remember thinking come on do this for Cal and i fired it over the bar and out the ground hahah

Thinking of Aribo the other night it got me wondering.

What was the worst injury you have seen in person at a football match to happen to a player?

Huttona leg break at Killie and Fernando getting knocked out cold when he clashed with Henning Berg. Have always wondered if there was a correlation between that and the Illness that came over him about 10 years later in life

Wasnt at pittodrie , but was present when big butcher broke his leg v aberdeen that was horrible and combinated in us loosing the title to celtic that season

Back