Worst Referee performance involving us.

Ref v Brugge at Ibrox, definitely bribed but not as bad a performance as Clancy at Parkhead. That was just pure sectarian vindictiveness

Clancy at the Piggery 100%.

Easily the worst I’ve seen in 50 years.

At least 5 game changing decisions all wrong & all wrong in their favour.

Like you, I've seen some truly terrible refereeing over a long period of time, dating back over 50 years watching Rangers, but Clancy at the piggery is actually the first time I've genuinely BELIEVED that the referee was just a cheat.

Simple as that. A cheat. That's never happened with me before.

Another dishonourable mention for Beaton v Hibs. Truly horrific display that day, as well.

Going back a few years, but we played Borussia Mönchengladbach away. A 1-1 draw at Ibrox, 2 weeks later, go to their house.

I think it was a Belgian ref, something like Poniek his name was. Rangers (Davie Cooper in particular) is booted the length and breadth of the pitch, yet Cooper and Stuart Munro receive red cards in a 0-0 draw.

The officiating was nothing short of awful.

Beaton v Hibs and it's not even close.

It's not that he got one or two high profile decisions wrong, he got every single decision wrong. He lost control after about 15 minutes.
That was the worst performance and exhibition of bias and bigotry I have ever seen in a football game. I regret to say that hasn't got much better.

Like you, I've seen some truly terrible refereeing over a long period of time, dating back over 50 years watching Rangers, but Clancy at the piggery is actually the first time I've genuinely BELIEVED that the referee was just a cheat.

Simple as that. A cheat. That's never happened with me before.

Another dishonourable mention for Beaton v Hibs. Truly horrific display that day, as well.

Absolutely agree Arminius.

Beaton was up there as possibly the worst until that day in the east end. However I’ve never seen such a one sided list of game changing decisions all go the same way in my life :

Edouard handball goal.

Denying Aribo the penalty ( Christie jersey pull ) that was more than the one already awarded against Niko.

Bolingoli clear professional foul on a threatening Morelos when he was already on yellow.

Likewise 2 cautionable offences by Christie on Morelos/Goldson ( including the ‘baw grab’ ) when, again, on yellow.

Six plus minutes played despite four indicated when Morelos received a ( justifiable based upon his action ) second yellow.

There were a number of other dodgy decisions against us, Jullien issues for example, but these were 100% and each one involved goals for us / against them, or red cards for them / not for us.

All ‘game changing’ in my opinion.

Beaton against hibs was the performance of an absolute coward
clancy against celtic was the performance of an absolute cheat
Through the years there has been countless performances from referees either cheating or shit scared to ref in an honest and fair way in games involving us for fear of criticism from the press etc. and their own safety. It is so easy for them with the help of complicit linesmen and selectively blind 4th officials to make "honest mistakes" now to cover blatant cheating The whole system is now polluted so much with them they have no fear in making "mistakes" as long as we don't benefit from these "mistakes"

Clancy at Parkhead was blatant cheating.
In the 70s and 80s european refs were often suspect. These days, foreign refs are bloody amazing while our's are dreadful.
Seldom see a Scottish match now where I think there isnt somethimg going on.
The failure to act on Cosgrove and Ferguson fouling last week (until late) was criminal , less said about the Main kung fu number.

Well, there are no plenty of examples, mostly in recent times. There are two that stand out for me:

The 5-5 game against Hibs in the last game of the season. Blatant penalty claims and sending offs summarily ignored.

The other is Clancy’s performance in the victory at Porkheid las year. Summed up for me by making Davis walk past the Orc hordes near the end of the game and the extra added time. That’s without going into the penalties, handballs and other incidents.

How he avoided investigation is a mystery.

The 5-5 game was a disgrace. Scott Allen could've ended Rossiter's career and he only got booked for the tackle.

77 final
incidentally, john greig was sent off the week before in the last league game at pitodrie which made him miss the final.
the referee at pittodrie?, valentine. who did the final one week later.
He still played in the final.

Back then there was a disciplinary meeting to decide the ban rather than automatically missing the next game.

The Beaton performance was a strange bit of cheating! I mean there was literally no need for him to do it! it was early in the season and wouldn't really affect how the league would turn out. Clancy, that was just pure unadulterated bigoted cheating with the sole intention of making sure we did not win that game. Andrew Waddell was as biased against us as you ever saw. From his 1st game against St Boo at Ibrox in 1980 he made it his mission in football to F*ck us over every chance he got and he did. He also seemed an obnoxious arrogant b*stard the way he treated the players. An honourable (dishonourable) mention to Crawford Allan. In 2012 just after admin, his performance in the game against Hertz totally smacked of "small man syndrome". It really is sad that there is a "Ref for Sat/Sunday/Wednesday" thread on here, says it all about how we have been reffed in recent seasons.

Who was the guy who loved the attention, Kenny Clark?. I’m sure he had a few howlers in older games I’ve watched.
Yes, Khenny was competent, but a cheat. IIRC, well-known for being Sellik minded in Barrhead.

I recall a game vs Filth at Hampden, O'Neill years, possibly a semi final. Amoruso marking Hartson effectively, so Hartson decides to wander off the pitch (the by line) at throw ins and corners, then come back on just as the ball is thrown.

Anyone with a passing knowledge of the rules knows leaving the playing surface deliberately without the referree's permission is a cautionable offence. Fatson did it all game without even being spoken to.

The same game saw Balde knock De Boer or Flo out of the game in extra time with concussion. Near Main Stand. Not even a yellow.

Last edited:
Reading about Craig Thomson in the St Mirren 9 man cup final got me wondering, what is the worst referee performance in one of our games in a domestic game?

Beaton's refereeing in the 2-3 game v Hibs when he sent off Ryan Jack is the angriest I have been leaving the ground from memory.
His refereeing of last February's Kilmarnock 2-1 game comes a close second.
Clancy without a shadow of doubt.

Who was the guy who loved the attention, Kenny Clark?. I’m sure he had a few howlers in older games I’ve watched.
Off topic I know but Kenny Clark’s refereeing of the Clyde v Celtic cup tie was as bad a cheating referee performance as you will ever see.

Seen a few shockers over the years, not necessarily cheating but fkn terrible refereeing. I might be wrong and it’s all in my head but the worst refereeing decisions involving us have came in the last 10 years, wonder why. Andy Hallidays sending off, Candeias sending off by Collum, Clancys shocker at the piggery last season, but the worst ever in my 35years watching us must be Beaton against hibs a couple of years ago. Should have been struck off after that game, I can imagine the mhedia if that was one of their games. For them to say he’s a hun with a whistle is laughable, fkn shat himself to send Main off last week, him and Clancy are worth a watching. Clancy is just a mentally challenged full stop, but Beatons an absolute shitebag because of the constant allegations that he‘s a “hun”. Couple of pricks. Don Robertson is coming up fast on their heels as another one for the watching.

Truth is they are all involved not sure there is a worst a lot of the refs behaviour depends on circumstances at the time and whats happening in the game and the lead up too it.

Clancy was obvious but as someone said above Calum Murray done the same about 10 years ago let the piggery crowd ref it, so did Dougie McDonald when we beat them 4-2 Cousin sending off was cheating.... Beaton got intimidated by the press and was scared of Lennon thats why he cheated but its not the only one. Steven McLean at Easter Road last season was fan on the pitch stuff he decided to say sorry about a foul as he knew how knew how it would be reported, as sleekit as it gets.

It was sad to see a new ref, Dickenson, doing the St M cup tie and looking to cost Rangers the match, they might well have won anyway right enough they deserved it right enough, no doubt ref was out there to make a name for himself and will get more important Gers games in future.

Timmy Thomson is still ahead though over a 10 year period he went out to manipulate every live tv game we played and while the team often got the result he was cheating every single time. There wasnt as many top refs at that time right enough he done about 80 per cent of tv games as the pundits that support clearly Celtic loved his work.

In terms of individual decisions, Halliday being sent off at Morton for a celebrating a goal takes it. In terms of "I don't know what I'm doing so I'll guess" It's Beaton against Hibs.

However, for it to be the worse performance ever it's a referee that knows exactly what he is doing and is fucking at it.

There is no question it's Clancy against the poets. An unbelievable performance.

Clancy at Parkhead
Clancy at Pittodrie in the cup. Morelos fouled all game, wrongly booked for diving - finally got free kick in last minute.
Steven McLean LC semi Vs Motherwell under Pedro.

Every single game Andrew Waddell reffed of ours.
Any game where George Smith was the ref. Possibly the last ref to incite a pitch invasion at Ibrox?

Reading about Craig Thomson in the St Mirren 9 man cup final got me wondering, what is the worst referee performance in one of our games in a domestic game?

Beaton's refereeing in the 2-3 game v Hibs when he sent off Ryan Jack is the angriest I have been leaving the ground from memory.
His refereeing of last February's Kilmarnock 2-1 game comes a close second.
That Hibs game was mental. Remember scraps outside the Copland coming out of the game. Also Caixinha's last game, 1-1 Killie at Ibrox, we're 1-0 up, 6 minutes added on and we get a penalty 2 minutes in, ridiculous protests from Killie players and a red card for Jack. Penalty gets taken about 3 minutes later, Candeias misses and they go up the other end and equalise right away. Blows the full-time whistle and I swear to god you're lucky if we played half of the injury time.

Andrew Waddell. Any game. Particular highlights include the game against Hamilton at Ibrox and the Scottish Cup semi vs the filth.
I remember being in back of the broomloan and the whole stadium singing ‘waddell get tae %^*&, waddell, waddell get tae %^*&’ - he was instantly the first guy that came to mind

Without reading through all the threads, in my opinion Andrew Waddell's refereeing of the SCF in 98 is utterly the most biased I have ever seen in my life.
Hearts get a penalty a yard outside the box, we get a free kick a yard inside the box, it was f ucking outrageous decisions, but hardly anything was made of it.
The result would have been the other way about if not for that c unt.
He was also involved in other shockers but that was the worst.
Not against us but Ian Brynes deserves a mention for gifting the mentally challengeds the league in 2008 by disallowing the perfect headed winner in the last minute for a "mistaken" handball.
Obviously Clancy & Thomson too many to mention.
Anyway f duck then all 55 is on it's way. WATP

Without reading through all the threads, in my opinion Andrew Waddell's refereeing of the SCF in 98 is utterly the most biased I have ever seen in my life.
Hearts get a penalty a yard outside the box, we get a free kick a yard inside the box, it was f ucking outrageous decisions, but hardly anything was made of it.
The result would have been the other way about if not for that c unt.
He was also involved in other shockers but that was the worst.
Not against us but Ian Brynes deserves a mention for gifting the mentally challengeds the league in 2008 by disallowing the perfect headed winner in the last minute for a "mistaken" handball.
Obviously Clancy & Thomson too many to mention.
Anyway f duck then all 55 is on it's way. WATP
Willie Young was the ref that day.

Some refs are just bad refs. But Clancy is a cheat.

Willie Young was a bad ref.
Andrew Waddell just loved being hated.

Nowdays, it's like refs think first about their windows when making a decision.

Last edited:
John Beaton V Hibs

Was great atmosphere that day after early goal and fairly new team put together and looking decent and then after about 15 mins Beaton lost the plot.

From then on in till Halftime he had completely lost the plot it was actual surreal watching it.

As said by others Beaton v Hibs by a mile

but also a few shockers during the 2007/8 season the 3-2 game at the piggery a standout

Back