Would Billy Gilmour have got a game for us ?

Angrybluebear

Official Ticketer
Serious question would he be playing in our first team ?

Or did he realise he would have a better chance of breaking through at Chelsea.

Is this the reason we missed out on Charlie Allen ?

Jake Hastie proved with Motherwell he could handle the SPL, 6 goals in 18 top flight games, 50odd championship games under his belt.

Greg Docherty 90 SPL games with Hamilton under his belt.

Ross McCrorie 40 odd SPL games with us.

All pumped out on loan whilst we bring in untried development players from down south and journeymen like Polster.

Yes.

Also I'm not sure that Jake Hastie's 6 goals in the SPL are as strong as you think when it comes to concrete evidence he could play in our team.

He is obviously a special talent so he would be playing. If he is training with Chelsea and mixing it up with their superstars then he would be a stand out in training for us and be playing.

Of course he would have. He had a worse chance of playing at Chelsea but benefitted from their transfer ban.

We don't have a horrific record of using youths in the first team as proven by not many proving us wrong elsewhere.

You also mention Hastie. He was on Rotherham's bench so hardly cutting it up.

Where we have a horrific record is in the years before that so that they are actually good enough to play for us. That's sorted now

Gilmour was already on the brink as was.

Jake Hastie proved with Motherwell he could handle the SPL, 6 goals in 18 top flight games, 50odd championship games under his belt.

All pumped out on loan whilst we bring in untried development players from down south and journeymen like Polster.

comparing, Billy Gilmour with Hastie, Docherty and McCrorie... madness or stupidity.

I am not sure if he would be a starter every week, but he would be playing, because his style of football would fit into Steven Gerrard's vision of how the game is played.
Physically he would still have to be carefully managed, up here or down in England.

Not at the age he left us.

Now, he’d be a star.

He needed to go.

Imagine staying with the prospect of Murty as your manager? :D

Not at the age he left us.

Now, he’d be a star.

He needed to go.

Imagine staying with the prospect of Murty as your manager? :D
This was the problem at the time.
If he was breaking through now, I’m pretty sure he’d have had as many chances as the likes of McPake and Kennedy.

There would be plenty people coming out with the patter of “he’s not what we need right now” because we’re all about beating the tims and that comes at a cost to developing youth.

There’s too much pressure on Rangers managers to succeed NOW for the likes of youth to prosper properly.

Would he now??? - Yes

Would he have gotten the chance to break from the youths into the first team starting 11??? - No (he’d be at Ayr Utd, Partick or Livi on loan)

Hes still only started a couple of games for Chelsea while they were short in midfield. Hes not really a first team player there yet. I think he would be in more or less the same position if still with us, mainly due to him still needing a bit of physical development and the pressure to win every game. Technique wise hes obviously good enough but I dont think it would be fair to depend on him as a first team player yet and I dont think Gerard would considering central midfield is our strongest area of the squad.

Ross McCrorie certainly holds his own when playing alongside young Gilmour for Scotland, although Billy is a wee bit younger.
McCrorie has also handled a game at The Jimmy Savile Dome.

im sorry but they are different leagues of football player. If you can’t see that I’m not sure what game you’re watching!

im sorry but they are different leagues of football player. If you can’t see that I’m not sure what game you’re watching!
Billy Gilmour is a cracking footballer, but McCrorie who is a different type of player is nonetheless another fine player.
I can see that Billy has more potential to reach the very top, but that doesn't mean that your dismissive sneering comment gains much traction.
I know what game I am watching, I have been watching it long enough.

Yes. He’s not looked out of place when he’s played for Chelsea. He’d probably have broken into the team before he broke into the Chelsea side. Although their transfer ban has certainly helped him.

Hes still only started a couple of games for Chelsea while they were short in midfield. Hes not really a first team player there yet. I think he would be in more or less the same position if still with us, mainly due to him still needing a bit of physical development and the pressure to win every game. Technique wise hes obviously good enough but I dont think it would be fair to depend on him as a first team player yet and I dont think Gerard would considering central midfield is our strongest area of the squad.
As good a prospect that he undoubtedly is I would say he has performed well for Chelsea when he has played.
I would also say when your surrounded by top players it’s a lot easier but that’s not to undermine how good he is.
Wish him well.

If were being honest prob not. Also half the players up here would try and take him out all the time.

As much as we wanted him to stay he has made the best decision for his career.

I think it’s a certainty he would have got injured if he turned out for us...sooner or later he would have got nailed, we’ve seen how it works up here so the lad has definitely made the right decision.

The thing that strikes me about his introduction into top flight football with Chelsea is that yes...it’s the big boys playground he’s in now and that’s a big challenge for any young player and as much as the opposition players aren’t going to just let the kid do what he wants on the pitch, I think it’s safe to say they are not going to be hellbent on deliberately hurting him to prevent him displaying his skills and ability...that’s what would’ve happened had he stayed and got into our team...guaranteed!

Look at how the country is billing him as the next big thing and excited about seeing him breakthrough at Chelsea. Now imagine that he stayed. Every hammer thrower in the league kicking fu ck out of him and the rest of Scottish football calling him shite etc.

He made the right move.

The boy has bossed every appearance he's had for Chelsea so far. He looks a class act would like to think that would have been scoped up here and into the first 11 he went. We will never know. He made the right choice for his career

I doubt he would yet , as ridiculous as that sounds I genuinely don’t think he would have been given half the time he has at Chelsea.

We made a mistake not giving him a run in team looks the way people speaking about him at Chelsea.

As good a prospect that he undoubtedly is I would say he has performed well for Chelsea when he has played.
I would also say when your surrounded by top players it’s a lot easier but that’s not to undermine how good he is.
Wish him well.

Yeah, definitely think there's a whole lot less second balls and high balls to be fought for in a Liverpool v Chelsea game than your average SPFL match.

Billy Gilmour is a cracking footballer, but McCrorie who is a different type of player is nonetheless another fine player.
I can see that Billy has more potential to reach the very top, but that doesn't mean that your dismissive sneering comment gains much traction.
I know what game I am watching, I have been watching it long enough.

Even ignoring age and potential, it’s just obvious that Gilmour is operating at a totally different level from McCrorie. I’m sure you’re well aware of that.

Yes, he would.

He is a special talent, the rest don't get a game because they are either decent players or less. McCrorie is the only other one named who has shown flashes of being good enough to be involved in the squad.

Even ignoring age and potential, it’s just obvious that Gilmour is operating at a totally different level from McCrorie. I’m sure you’re well aware of that.
I think Billy has enormous potential, however, one game against Liverpool is still just potential.
I hope he can build upon it and I wish the lad the very best, why wouldn't I?
What concerns me on a Rangers forum is your apparent rush to dismiss our own young player in such a scathing fashion.
Let's hope he isn't looking in...eh?

Given our resent history in producing and developing academy players I seriously doubt he would have been given a chance of being a regular first teamer with us.

I think Billy has enormous potential, however, one game against Liverpool is still just potential.
I hope he can build upon it and I wish the lad the very best, why wouldn't I?
What concerns me on a Rangers forum is your apparent rush to dismiss our own young player in such a scathing fashion.
Let's hope he isn't looking in...eh?

it’s a nonsensical comparison. Might as well speak about McCrorie vs. someone like Phil Foden, they operate in different levels entirely. It’s not ruthless by any stretch to suggest Ross isn’t near as good as Gilmour, very few players are at that level and none of ours are capable of whah that young lad can do.

He would probably have been crocked by now if he played for us, the official cabal allows free shots at our most skilful players by supposed omission of sight and shonky linesmen.
It's easier for them just to do nothing and they get away with hurting us, or a wee token yellow that is for a definite red card.

it’s a nonsensical comparison. Might as well speak about McCrorie vs. someone like Phil Foden, they operate in different levels entirely. It’s not ruthless by any stretch to suggest Ross isn’t near as good as Gilmour, very few players are at that level and none of ours are capable of whah that young lad can do.
Nonsensical, different leagues, different levels!
Ffsake, I am beginning to suspect it might choke you if Ross was to establish himself as a top-level operator.

I wish Billy all the best, but I want our own lad to get there as well, and whilst I am able, I will talk young Ross up and encourage this to happen, and on this forum, in particular, that is where I stand.

One is playing for a wonderful football club with a history of glory going back to the Victorian era, the other is getting a fat wedge from money stolen from the ordinary people of Russia.
A more cynical person than myself might dare to venture. ;)

Would be a bit part as the hatchet men here would be all over him. Needs time to develop size and body wise. Got to remember B. Ferguson not making too many appearances under WS before DA basically built a team around him.

Back