Would Billy Gilmour have got a game for us ?

Serious question would he be playing in our first team ?

Or did he realise he would have a better chance of breaking through at Chelsea.

Is this the reason we missed out on Charlie Allen ?

Jake Hastie proved with Motherwell he could handle the SPL, 6 goals in 18 top flight games, 50odd championship games under his belt.

Greg Docherty 90 SPL games with Hamilton under his belt.

Ross McCrorie 40 odd SPL games with us.

All pumped out on loan whilst we bring in untried development players from down south and journeymen like Polster.
Obviously

Based on the couple of games I’ve seen him start for Chelsea then definitely. Probably starting 11 by now too.

No he wouldn't have and it has very little to do with the hammer throwers in the SPL.

Where exactly do we expect our youth players to develop? The youth leagues? Going to Scottish championship sides? How many players would we be excited to sign from the Scottish Championship?

Down south the reserve leagues are still an excellent comp that have first team players that aren't able to get a game with their team and also the championship is an excellent level for players to be loaned out to.

Given our resent history in producing and developing academy players I seriously doubt he would have been given a chance of being a regular first teamer with us.

Same. It’s so easy to turn around and say yes now with the benefit of hindsight. But we’re really not very good for transitioning youngsters from youth or reserve sides to the first team.

Same. It’s so easy to turn around and say yes now with the benefit of hindsight. But we’re really not very good for transitioning youngsters from youth or reserve sides to the first team.
Yet people still get angry at him for leaving. I can’t blame him

There's definitely room for improvement. I'm hopeful that the resent release of some players will make room for some of our academy players next season. IMO we need at least three or four home grown quality players to challenge for the league.

I actually think he probably wouldn't have got his chance. It does sound crazy... but I think there is more pressure on Rangers to win every game, than there is at Chelsea. They can get away with talking a chance on youngster. We can't - it's win every game at all costs. That is large part of why we haven't brought through many youngsters lately...

Not at the age he left us.

Now, he’d be a star.

He needed to go.

Imagine staying with the prospect of Murty as your manager? :D
That was uncalled for, Mcmurty is a clever coach, a teaching coach. He can tell a player where he can improve and when he has to, chastise, critisise, and give a shoulder to those who need it. Why is he still at Ibrox, he is a valuable tool for Gerrard.

They can get away with talking a chance on youngster. We can't - it's win every game at all costs. That is large part of why we haven't brought through many youngsters lately..

I agree with you, and I think it's very short sighted. We've brought in a couple of expensive duds on our way back, who's milked the club for money and taken up a spot on the bench that an academy player could've got.

Can't be good being Craig Mulholland, when our academy is winning left right and centre yet very few of his players is deemed good enough to be backup players in the first team squad.

That was uncalled for, Mcmurty is a clever coach, a teaching coach. He can tell a player where he can improve and when he has to, chastise, critisise, and give a shoulder to those who need it. Why is he still at Ibrox, he is a valuable tool for Gerrard.

He’s a wet blanket.

He’s a kids coach. A diet Warburton.

Gilmour made a smart move. He’s coming on leaps and bounds, both psychically and footballing ability.

Looks like he’s got the potential to go all the way.

Answer to the young lad Gilmour playing for us lies with evidence of other starlets since he’s left us
No he certainly wouldn’t be playing in our first team if he’d stayed

He’s a wet blanket.

He’s a kids coach. A diet Warburton.

Gilmour made a smart move. He’s coming on leaps and bounds, both psychically and footballing ability.

Looks like he’s got the potential to go all the way.
He S just the man at sidelines remember mate

I would have to say probably not.
He would be discarded for a on loan Liverpool reserve squad member.
I would rather give our own youngsters a chance of playing for the Jersey and future contracts than on loan signing that probably doesn't want to be playing here. Our Manager was a Under 18 manager at Liverpool but doesn't seem or want to give our Youngsters a extended chance in the first team.

Jake Hastie proved with Motherwell he could handle the SPL, 6 goals in 18 top flight games, 50odd championship games under his belt.

All pumped out on loan whilst we bring in untried development players from down south and journeymen like Polster.
He never went down there thinking better chance of getting first team action.
Much easier to break into our team than theirs I would thought that was pretty obvious

Nonsensical, different leagues, different levels!
Ffsake, I am beginning to suspect it might choke you if Ross was to establish himself as a top-level operator.

I wish Billy all the best, but I want our own lad to get there as well, and whilst I am able, I will talk young Ross up and encourage this to happen, and on this forum, in particular, that is where I stand.

One is playing for a wonderful football club with a history of glory going back to the Victorian era, the other is getting a fat wedge from money stolen from the ordinary people of Russia.
A more cynical person than myself might dare to venture. ;)

Bizarre. If you can’t have at least some level of objectivity on the forum then what value are your contributions?

I wish Ross was as good as Billy, Ryan Kent was as good as Jadon Sancho and Morelos was as good as Erling Haaland. What I want and what is reality are, unfortunately, not that closely aligned.

I’m also not of the view that if I write down all of my greatest desires on follow follow it makes them more likely to come true.

No he wouldn't have and it has very little to do with the hammer throwers in the SPL.

Where exactly do we expect our youth players to develop? The youth leagues? Going to Scottish championship sides? How many players would we be excited to sign from the Scottish Championship?

Down south the reserve leagues are still an excellent comp that have first team players that aren't able to get a game with their team and also the championship is an excellent level for players to be loaned out to.
Our youth players should be developing in the first team.

I don't want to wank over Celtic but they did it with Tierney and made £25m as a result, they threw in Frimpong away at Aberdeen and he grabbed the chance with both hands.

Meanwhile Patterson does well on his debut and is immediately bombed out of the side for Flanagan at home to St Mirren.

I don't want to wank over Celtic but they did it with Tierney and made £25m as a result, they threw in Frimpong away at Aberdeen and he grabbed the chance with both hands.

Meanwhile Patterson does well on his debut and is immediately bombed out of the side for Flanagan at home to St Mirren.

I agree totally with you. However our fans (you can mostly see it on here) simply wouldn't have the patience to allow that to happen.

We have players who need the first team football now, most of our supporters would rather they get that first team football on loan at other teams. However when we buy players like GD with that experience we still think they aren't ready.

Its absolute f*cking madness.

I'm sure he would have. That level of skill in training just couldn't be ignored.

He should have but I am not sure he would have. The sooner Rangers stop wasting money on squad fillers who offer zilch and start replacing them with prospects from the youth team the better.

Totally agree mate.

We seem to have a decent bunch at the moment in the likes of Patterson and Kai Kennedy who absolutely have to be given a chance or youngsters will simply go places they will get that chance.

With Gilmour it was bad timing for the club, I guess we'll never know if Gerrard was in charge if we could've got the boy tied down. With scouts already circling him we could've made a fortune on him after a season in the first team.

Kai Kennedy is equally promising imo and won't get a look in.
I agree like said before on FF ,it is very difficult situation for all coaching staff trying to nourish a young Kai kennedy into squad when we need to stop that lot I get that,but like Chelsea have found out unless you try you will never know sometimes chances need to be taken to find a diamond and that's the frustration none of the new crop of youngsters getting a real chance and that's why they will seek new demands as they have seen Gilmour fly.
Kai Kennedy is equally promising imo and won't get a look in.

Totally agree mate.

We seem to have a decent bunch at the moment in the likes of Patterson and Kai Kennedy who absolutely have to be given a chance or youngsters will simply go places they will get that chance.

With Gilmour it was bad timing for the club, I guess we'll never know if Gerrard was in charge if we could've got the boy tied down. With scouts already circling him we could've made a fortune on him after a season in the first team.

I will hold my hands up and admit I have only ever seen the youth players in highlights and the odd streamed game online, alternatively it’s just hear say. So there is not a hell of a lot of insight into this.

However, I would like to see the following, either getting a sustained chance in the first team or a good loan in SPL or abroad

Kelly- First team
Robby McCrorie- Loan
Mayo - Fist team or Loan
Mebude- first team or Loan
Kennedy - First team
Mcpake - First team or loan
Patterson - First team

You obviously can’t throw them all in at once and I acknowledge it would be fantasy land to have them all eventually first team regulars. But surely having such a pool of talent to chose from, atleast a few of them would make the grade. There’s probably others that I haven’t mentioned.

I agree like said before on FF ,it is very difficult situation for all coaching staff trying to nourish a young Kai kennedy into squad when we need to stop that lot I get that,but like Chelsea have found out unless you try you will never know sometimes chances need to be taken to find a diamond and that's the frustration none of the new crop of youngsters getting a real chance and that's why they will seek new demands as they have seen Gilmour fly.

Can you see likes of Chelsea coming in for others due to success of Gilmour

I will hold my hands up and admit I have only ever seen the youth players in highlights and the odd streamed game online, alternatively it’s just hear say. So there is not a hell of a lot of insight into this.

However, I would like to see the following, either getting a sustained chance in the first team or a good loan in SPL or abroad

Kelly- First team
Robby McCrorie- Loan
Mayo - Fist team or Loan
Mebude- first team or Loan
Kennedy - First team
Mcpake - First team or loan
Patterson - First team

You obviously can’t throw them all in at once and I acknowledge it would be fantasy land to have them all eventually first team regulars. But surely having such a pool of talent to chose from, atleast a few of them would make the grade. There’s probably others that I haven’t mentioned.
Mebude, Patterson, Kennedy and Kelly are all absolutely ready to play a role in the squad and the current situation will probably dictate that it's the best time to give them chances.

I don't see a benefit in filling the squad with guys like Barker or Jones anymore, let them fill those positions

The hammer throwers in Scottish football would have stopped him, the Ref's up here don't protect players with ability, he's too good for Scottish football, anyone who is a cut above gets special treatment in Scotland, he wouldn't have been allowed to play, Morelos is a cut above and look how he's treated in Scotland, Billy Gilmour doesn't have his strength to cope with the physical abuse.

There's plenty of Chelsea fans I know - saying he wouldn't have got his chance at the bridge this season - if it wasn't for the transfer ban (that's since been lifted of course)

Don't disagree with your sentiment at all mate, however, we were playing Hearts away in the Scottish Cup on the weekend and Gerrard was always going to play Flanagan in that match so needed the game time.

I was streaming Rangers TV on my laptop when we were playing Livingston, and had the telly on with Chelsea playing a League Cup match. Think Billy was making his debut from the bench. I remember thinking "Jesus, if Billy was playing against Livingston he would have been carried off by now". They were being allowed to hack at any Rangers player with impunity. Most of our players are big enough to look after themselves, but a 55kg player soaking wet, is going to get zero protection and will get hammered.

He is going to be an absolute class act but I do feel that he had to move to a different league to develop as a player. Scottish football is all about physicality and less to do with technique.

I think that Patterson does have more ability to deal with the physical aspect and really want him to kick on this season. At the very least, he needs to be the understudy to Tav.

I know we all want to see more of our home grown players in the first team but suggestions it’s impossible for a talented young lad to break through at Ibrox are far fetched.

The only players that have left out youth set up that id love to see in our team now are Gilmour (who we did our best to keep) and John Fleck. Fleck was mismanaged but also displayed a poor attitude, it’s taken him years to get his career to the level his talent deserves, we couldn’t exactly just wait around for that to happen.

our problem has been not enough quality in the youth set up, not a mystical lack of opportunity for deserving young players.

We do now appear to have some exciting prospects in Patterson, Kelly, Mayo, Mebude, Kennedy, Maxwell, King, Dickson, Young Coombes (I’m sure I’m missing some). That’s what we need is a volume of exciting young players as regardless of how good they are in youths, some of them will not make the step up.

I hope that with that crop noted above coming of age and continued focus on back filling at younger age groups, we can see an end to signings like Barker, Ojo, Stewart, Polster, Flanagan and Jones who shouldn’t be needed to fill out the squad.

Can you see likes of Chelsea coming in for others due to success of Gilmour
Well why not? I hear they are monitoring Kennedy situation along with other top teams,so here is the situation you get a top prospect up here for pennies and if it works out happy days if not you will at least get your money back guarantee so nothing to lose eh?

I'd say the gaffer would have given him a chance.

Money prevailed. Same with that boy who left the mentally challengeds and is now on his arse.

Chelsea obviously have far superior facilities and would be training with better players. World out sometimes, others, it doesn't.

Of course he would have. He had a worse chance of playing at Chelsea but benefitted from their transfer ban.

We don't have a horrific record of using youths in the first team as proven by not many proving us wrong elsewhere.

You also mention Hastie. He was on Rotherham's bench so hardly cutting it up.

Where we have a horrific record is in the years before that so that they are actually good enough to play for us. That's sorted now

Gilmour was already on the brink as was.

This in abundance. Rather than blame the first team for not bringing them through (but then conveniently forgetting they go on to very little usually), we should be asking why we aren't bringing in the talent and at a young age to be good enough for the first team.

I think Fleck is the only one I can think of where we discounted and Got rid who then went on to do well.

Nope, too wee and would've been booed as soon as he misplaced a pass. We wouldn't throw a boy that young into that situation. We don't give youth a chance at all it's embarrassing.

i don’t think up til now he would have featured much at all

would love to have him still at the club but as things stand it’s hard to argue with his decision .

I don’t think there is a doubt he would have broken through here. However at what level would he be at now? Who knows. Maybe not quite as high as he is at Chelsea but you never know, he would have one of the best midfielders in the business as his boss now.

Of course he would

I was hopeful we might get him on loan but he has done so well I doubt t there is any chance of that happening.

IMO
Serious question , is Kennedy physically ready for the first team?
He looked tiny against Stranraer.

IMO if he is good enough technically, then the physicality bit shouldn’t matter too much unless he is a centre back or a goal keeper. It’s up to young Kennedy to adapt his game and find an answer against players who are physically bigger than him. I believe the best youth players in our squad are regularly given this challenge by being played a year group up. Maybe it’s time we put it into practice.

IMO

IMO if he is good enough technically, then the physicality bit shouldn’t matter too much unless he is a centre back or a goal keeper. It’s up to young Kennedy to adapt his game and find an answer against players who are physically bigger than him. I believe the best youth players in our squad are regularly given this challenge by being played a year group up. Maybe it’s time we put it into practice.
He will need to adapt for sure against the assorted hammer throwers but cheers for the various replies , I will bow to the judgement of those who have seen him play and hope we have a star in the making.

Back