Would Billy Gilmour have got a game for us ?

Serious question would he be playing in our first team ?

Or did he realise he would have a better chance of breaking through at Chelsea.

Is this the reason we missed out on Charlie Allen ?

Jake Hastie proved with Motherwell he could handle the SPL, 6 goals in 18 top flight games, 50odd championship games under his belt.

Greg Docherty 90 SPL games with Hamilton under his belt.

Ross McCrorie 40 odd SPL games with us.

All pumped out on loan whilst we bring in untried development players from down south and journeymen like Polster.

Not to many games, as the hammer throwers would have kicked him out the game.You get more time on the ball, playing in other countries.Excluding Scotland .

Not to many games, as the hammer throwers would have kicked him out the game.You get more time on the ball, playing in other countries.Excluding Scotland .
Barry McKay did reasonable well against physical presence so think the small arguement is irrelevant tbh.

No. I don't think our game would have been suited to him with his build etc. I reckon if he made his debut he would be clubbed within seconds.

The lad is a very special talent he looked like Chelsea’s best player in the games I’ve seen him

anyone who thinks he wouldt get a game for us is aff there heids

I believe he would have under Gerrard. Not so sure about his predecessors though. I’m trying to remember who was in charge when he left?

Regardless I think the pull and finances of an EPL club would have lured him anyway, but Stevie-G might have made him pause to think

Bit of a no brainer. If he can cut it in a top EPL side he would surely be able to cut in the SPFL.

Feel we lost out wi him.

I still think he'd be on the fringes and I think it's high time we started drafting in these young players. I think supporters would be patient if they knew we were bringing them in, I know what the matchday threads are like but by and large I think most of us would welcome it. If it's good for Chelsea then it should be for us. The difference is they get the chance to express themselves in the EPL,they don't in this backwater.

Last edited:
He is definitely good enough , but he would havd been lucky to not get a serious injury in this shitty league talent will not be allowed to flourish if you wear the blue jersey

He is definitely good enough , but he would havd been lucky to not get a serious injury in this shitty league talent will not be allowed to flourish if you wear the blue jersey
The likes of Clancy and his ilk would stand back and allow this to happen.

He was running rings around our senior pros in training as a 15 year old, think it’s safe to say he’d be getting a game by now.

Appreciate it’s not just looked really small for a hammer throwers league.

Messi I would suggest is a one off but I get the principle.

Xavi, Iniesta are of the same mould.

Scotland needs less focus on hammer throwers and more on technical ability.

Yes , but you can understand why he left.
Thuggery
Plastic pitches
Corruption
Never mind the EPL and more money.

Xavi, Iniesta are of the same mould.

Scotland needs less focus on hammer throwers and more on technical ability.
Xavi and Iniesta are special players too , if Kennedy is that quality then there’s no question but I wouldn‘t envisage this.

You are right though too many hammer throwers but the whole system would need to be changed.
in Scotland players like Lee Wilkie and Darren Dodds can make a career based on physical size.
The grass roots mentality is big guys beat little guys and too many pro clubs buy in to this.

Probably wouldn’t have been given an opportunity if we are being honest. Just need to look at the Patterson situation last season, instead of playing him, we play a full back who directly opposes our style of play in flanagan.

Looks a quality player, hopefully gets more game time for Chelsea to develop more. Will get 100 + caps for Scotland

He probably wouldn’t have gotten a chance. We seem to want to go down the route of guys who couldn’t get a game for lower league English players rather than putting trust in our own youth set up.

German top flight teams playing 16/17 year olds. Yet we’re to believe Rangers don’t have a youth player with enough talent to play against Hamilton Accies?

Like you all I really want our youngsters to progress to the first team and beyond, but if you expect that to happen as we try to stop the tainted 10 then you are delusional I fear. That is why so few, in relevant terms, of OF youngsters make it at either club

No he wouldn’t and I’ll tell you why. Chelsea have better coaches and an established setup geared towards excellence. They also have proper professional players who can mentor him and provide an example. All of these factors have accelerated his development. If he’d stayed at Ibrox he’d have been working under Murty and been mentored by the likes of Ejaria, Tavernier and Jones. Not to mention played out of position by the manager if he did make it into the first team.

He made the correct decision for his career, and it’ll happen again with any good youngster we find until we stop meekly accepting failure as a club and insist on excellence in all areas on and off the park.

I really think that Gilmour is an absolute talent, could be a once in a generation player.

He would have got his chance with us and proved himself. My only doubt, as mentioned previously, is that the referees would have afforded him no protection whatsoever.

The boy is a player not doubt. I don't think he'd have broken through to our first team for at least another couple of years though, just my opinion.

Very strange opinion.
So good enough for EPL but not here ,I can't believe people on FF are still living in the dark ages it seems unless your" 6ft 5 and don't know how to play " you have no chance making it in Scotland ,is it not time we changed our methods as these caveman styles and philosophy definitely doesn't work or is it me who's not getting it.Gilmour and Kennedy are slight but very very talented boys but let's forget them and play the 6ft 5 dummy don't accept sorry.

Messi is tiny, it's not all about someones height/build

He is excellent technically

That is spot on but you need to have protection from referees.

Sadly in Scotland the rules of the game don’t apply to our players.

Look at the young boy Atakayi who came on against Motherwell last season crocked with a shocking challenge within minutes and had to go back off injured. No protection what so ever.

Look at the challenges that effectively ended Cardoso and Dorrans Rangers careers. In any other league in the world straight red but you get a free hit at a blue jersey.

Almost certainly. It would be a while until he's a starter but if he can get games for Chelsea I'm sure we could have too.

First thought is a defo yes but he would get the 'treatment' of he started to show his quality. Another in a long list of failings in our game where brawn is now important, ironic for a physically small nation

So good enough for EPL but not here ,I can't believe people on FF are still living in the dark ages it seems unless your" 6ft 5 and don't know how to play " you have no chance making it in Scotland ,is it not time we changed our methods as these caveman styles and philosophy definitely doesn't work or is it me who's not getting it.Gilmour and Kennedy are slight but very very talented boys but let's forget them and play the 6ft 5 dummy don't accept sorry.
It’s not FF in the dark ages it’s Scottish Football , unfortunately height and physique still count more than technical ability and it starts at grass roots and until we change that mentality smaller players will have to be exceptional to make it at the top in Scotland.

That is spot on but you need to have protection from referees.

Sadly in Scotland the rules of the game don’t apply to our players.

Look at the young boy Atakayi who came on against Motherwell last season crocked with a shocking challenge within minutes and had to go back off injured. No protection what so ever.

Look at the challenges that effectively ended Cardoso and Dorrans Rangers careers. In any other league in the world straight red but you get a free hit at a blue jersey.

Sick listening to this shit about referees and opponents watch that tackle again if one of our players hadn’t made that tackle we would have sent this site into meltdown on the Saturday night and wanted our player dropped for shitting it there was absolutely fxck all in the tackle
Too many on here looking for excuses on referees or big hairy arsed defenders making a tackle

since Walter left we have become powder puff on and off the field and have a fan element more suited as west end hipster were they don’t want players tackling now

let’s get back to getting battered in physically to match our opponents or outsmart them with technical ability rather than make excuses up for our failings on and off the park

No chance, the billy Gilmour type would be career ended up in Scotland by a hammer throwers. Until games are refereed the same as the rest of Europe scottish football won't move forward as teams are still assembled by 95% of clubs on big sturdy knee high tackling carthorses

Back