Would really hate to lose Glen Kamara. Give us one more season Son. Sign the contract. You won't regret it!

George Goudie

Official Ticketer
Alex Rae thinks Rangers could lose Glen Kamara this summer - but backs Steven Gerrard to replace him.

By James Cairney @JamesCairneyHT
Alex Rae fears Rangers could lose Glen Kamara this summer - but backs Steven Gerrard to replace him

Alex Rae fears Rangers could lose Glen Kamara this summer - but backs Steven Gerrard to replace him

0 comment

THIS summer will be a momentous one for both halves of the Old Firm divide. Over in the east end of the city, Celtic will be undergoing a major rebuild as key players move on, Neil Lennon’s successor is appointed and a new management structure is implemented at Parkhead but in Govan, Steven Gerrard will be facing novel issues of his own.
Since taking the reins at Ibrox three years ago, the Liverpool legend has never been in a position where he has been forced into selling one of his prized assets. Until now, no player has left Rangers that Gerrard didn’t want shot of but there is an expectation this summer that one or more of Alfredo Morelos, Glen Kamara and Borna Barisic – key players during Gerrard’s tenure – could be moved on for healthy profits during the transfer window.

It’s a new challenge for Gerrard but it is one that former Rangers midfielder Alex Rae is convinced he will meet head on. With the likes of Steven Davis and Allan McGregor tied down on longer deals, Rae reckons the planning for next season has already started in earnest – adding that whatever the incomings and outgoings at Ibrox this summer, he believes his old club have the right people in place to adequately replace any significant departures.

He explained: “If you go back to 2015, the board at the time said they would have to invest over a period of time to get a level of player at Rangers that everyone would be familiar with – to get back to the old standards. And they’ve done that in abundance this year.
“I think it’s fair to say that players will start coming and going as Rangers become more of a trading club. I think that’s testament to the management team because they’ve managed to build a squad of players that have got value now. If you go back a few years, there wasn’t a great deal of value there.
HeraldScotland:

READ MORE: Rangers new boy Fashion Sakala's top traits and potential ability revealed by Oostende recruitment chief
“They’ve got players going to the Euros this year and it will be fascinating to see who they trade or if they do sell anyone, because there will come a point where they’ll have to accept bids because players are coming to at the end of their contracts. They’ve been quite fortunate that they’ve managed to secure a few players already this year – like Davis and McGregor – so it will be interesting to see how [Borna] Barisic does, or [Glen] Kamara.

“The thing is you’ve also got guys like [Alfredo] Morelos where they knocked back a lot of bids last year, so I’m sure there will be comings and goings. But the one thing where I have a lot more faith in Rangers is that they have a really good scouting network.
“They have a director of football, they’ve got a clear identity and they know exactly what they want to go and target. So I have faith, regardless of who comes and who goes, that they’ll get it right because Steven’s work in the transfer windows has been tremendous.”

Rae’s claim is difficult to dispute, given the vast margin by which Rangers won the league. Not only did they deny Celtic their hallowed tenth consecutive league title, they did so with 25 points separating the two rivals and without a single Premiership defeat to their name.
Rae sees this as vindication of not only Gerrard’s ability as a manager but as the approach taken by the club’s scouting department, too. Recruitment, he insists, has been key to Rangers’ improvement in recent years – and has gone a long way to restoring the club to its past glory.
“I have to be honest – over the years, I think we lost our identity a wee bit,” he admitted. “We had all these charlatans in the building and there was no real planning.
“What I see now is a club that is well-run. A big part of that is how you manage your finances; will you sell a player, who are you going to bring in?
“I’ll give you an example – the six central midfielders that Rangers had on their books last year, how much did they cost to acquire? Three hundred and fifty grand. That’s it. If you can get guys of that quality in at such a low price then you’re on to a winner.
HeraldScotland:

READ MORE: Stuart McCall points to Jude Bellingham factor as he tips Rangers star Nathan Patterson to push for Scotland start

“That’s how they’re going to have to go. I also think that down in England where you can get guys for development fees … another Joe Aribo. You look at his value – it’s been great.
“I just like the way they go about it; there’s a bit of thought about it. There’s a method about what they’re trying to do and when you’ve got a management team who know how to prepare a team, a playing squad that are absolutely buzzing – it’s an unbelievable achievement.
“To go through a season unbeaten is ridiculous. I’ve only seen it three times: Arsenal did it when I was playing; Celtic did it a few years ago; and now Rangers have done it. It’s very infrequent that you go through a whole season without losing.”
With the European Championships looming, Rae is all too aware of the fact that scouts from all over the continent will be scouring the tournament for players to recommend. He accepts that Rangers’ business strategy means that important players will have to be sold every now and then but there is one in particular he expects to be in demand this summer: Finland internationalist Kamara.
“I think Kamara will stand out,” he added. “Borna Barisic has done well and it will be interesting as we play against Croatia. But I really like Kamara – technically, he’s fantastic. And when you think he only cost 50 grand – it was an absolute snip.
“I was at Dundee before him but I’ve watched him from afar. I watch him in Europe where you’ve got to keep a hold of the ball and he can keep a hold of a ball in a phone box!”
Rae was speaking at the reopening of Oswald’s, the Rangers-themed bar located in Glasgow city centre, as he urged supporters to have a gander for themselves now that pubs can sell alcohol indoors after lockdown restrictions were eased.
HeraldScotland:

READ MORE: Rangers legend Brian Laudrup on the one Ibrox player Steven Gerrard must keep
“I’ve been in here since lockdown and a whole bunch of my mates are always looking for a table upstairs,” he said. “It’s a brilliant Rangers bar.
“We don’t know where we’re going to be in terms of numbers [of fans allowed in stadia next year] but one thing I do know is you always get a good Rangers following in here. It’s a very partisan place but listen, it’s great. It’s a good atmosphere.”

Ive resigned myself to losing GK. We need to start using the model of buy cheap, develop and sell for big profit. And I think this summer, after the Euros, is when GK's stock will probably be at its highest for us (CL football would change this i know). I'd love to keep him but in the cold light of day I think he'll go this summer.

and I think we can all trust DoF and recruitment to get a decent replacement in (although we arent getting a 20million player, it's the model we have to use now)

We may not like it, but if he has a good tournament with Finland (which I think he will as he is in great form) his value will be at its peak and we should cash in.

Yeah i was going on what Barry ferguson said the other day which when you read it starts with - he's got 2 years left and then Bary saying he's going in to his finals 12 months.

Definitely got 2 seasons left on his contract as it stands. The issue is more that his wages are comparatively low to teammates who aren't as important to the team as he is.

Did he not sign until 2023? I thought he had the same end of contract as Kent, Aribo etc?
Going down to 12 months left, basically takes millions of the players value.

If they don't sign new deals then Kent, Aribo, Morelos and Kamara may have to sadly be sold.

Reactions: wpj
I’ve accepted the fact I think he will be off. He will be a huge miss and would need replacement urgently. Hope I am wrong and he decides he loves here that much he’s signed an extension.

I'd love him to sign a new deal and stay because I think he's s huge talent abd sometimes is a bit underrated on here i still think he improve even more. But if we could get 20million for him after the euros and get Ozcan for nothing and Harroui for 4/5 million I think it would be very good business by the club

Ive accepted he will probably be sold after the euros. He has been excellent of course and ridiculous value for money.

But truth is, whilst he offers so much with respect to controlling the game and keeping possession, he offers very little going forward, and his defensive qualities are not what I'd consider to be irreplaceable.

Kamara could easily be sold for upwards of £15m, and whether its Veerman, Ozcan, Harroui or someone else identified by our scouting team, I trust that we could replace what he brings to the team (and even potentially add to it if the replacement develops like Kamara, Jack and aribo have under Gerrard) whilst making a very tidy profit.

I'd love him to sign a new deal and stay because I think he's s huge talent abd sometimes is a bit underrated on here i still think he improve even more. But if we could get 20million for him after the euros and get Ozcan for nothing and Harroui for 4/5 million I think it would be very good business by the club

I mean... Its hard to argue with that. Sell one class player we have developed to bring in 2 more with the potential to both be £20m+ players after 2 years.

A midfield 3 next year of:

Aribo, ofobohr, or harroui
Davis or ozcan/veerman
Jack or arfield.

Few complaints from me...

Inevitable result of our return to success - our top players will be getting looked at by much smaller clubs who are fortunate enough to play in richer leagues.

we’ll need to accept that financing our continual improvement year on year requires us to find, develop and sell talent that other Clubs haven’t got to first.

our Scouting system and Player Development strategy have never been more important.

The boy is champions League quality, he really is. If we have aspirations of competing at that level for the next couple of years then we should be moving heaven and earth to keep him. That's a point that won't be lost on the manager.

Last edited:
We have to accept that the price of success is our players will attract interest from other clubs , we also have to accept that the club is not in a position to turn down bids of a certain level.

I realize selling your better players doesn't sound like the best idea but look at what happened to them with Edouard, Christie and Ajer all showing relative levels of disinterest or unhappiness at staying for an extra year and then losing significant value. It doesn't appear to be good for the squad, the players themselves and the club as a whole. If Kamara has a good European Championships which I'm sure he will then it's probably the right time to cash in on him - and that's another key thing these days, cashing in at the right time is as important as getting replacements in that can replace them.

He’s entitled to do what he thinks is best for him and his family.

Part of me also thinks he owes Rangers some loyalty for raising his profile ( particularly in Europe ).

It’s time to be bold troops! This is our model now, buy low, improve the player and sell.
I love Glen, Borna, Ianis and Alfredo but if they have to go, then so be it. I trust Ross to find the next Glen, or Borna. Although I don’t know what the boy from Bournemouth (Ofoborh.) is like, we may well have him (Glen.) replaced like for like? Maybe Bassey will step up, and we look to recruit a back up or two, rather than first team quality?
We are in our best position in years, players want to play for us, we have CL as a carrot,( fingers crossed, we get to the group stages.) and all the squad have a real value, and we have no loanees. Steven has built a squad of young quality players backed by Rangers men with old heads in McGregor and Davis.
I have heard and read many managers saying this is the way ahead. Warburton, being a good example with having Eustace at the club, but instead of talking the talk, Stevie has strolled the walk. I have every faith that we will be stronger next season, regardless of who leaves.
The future is bright, The future is Rangers!

Glen Kamara is the type of player that will be difficult to replace like for like.
He is ideally suited to a technical game that you find in Europe or on the international stage.
However, like all players, he can be replaced by someone who may differ in style but not in the eventual output.
Losing Glen might change the way we play at times, but he can be replaced.
Just not for 50 grand.

We may not like it, but if he has a good tournament with Finland (which I think he will as he is in great form) his value will be at its peak and we should cash in.
Not if our Directors don’t need to sell we don’t, luckily we have a Biatd who enjoy winning football matches with the best players available to us and long may it continue.
We will at some point have to sell but hopnot for a couple of more years

I’d like to see us hold onto Kamara, centre mid always ends up a short area for us over the season. Jack & Arfield seem to have spells out quite regularly, prefer Aribo further forward. So it’s definitely a position we could look to strengthen rather than lose one of our most consistent performers

however I do realise we need to adopt a model where players like Kamara are sold for good money

Our level of quality in players we've spent money on since Gerrard has been incredible. So if we can have a bid for Kamara come in and realistically I think 10m - 12m is what we'd get. If we reinvest in 2 midfielders of quality and I'm sure scouting and Gerrard has them earmarked and have a couple million left. Well that's incredible business.

depending on if we get any offers , i'd say whatever is offered will be double of what we'd get next summer if you take Ajers value into account , while a great player for us i'd say we'd be able to invest the fee and get a like for like replacement

Posted this in the transfer thread before seeing this one.:rolleyes:

I'm quite surprised at the numbers on here who seem willing to lose Kamara. For me, he's a man we should be doing everything in our power to hang onto and to build around. Longer term he's more important to us than any of the others in midfield IMHO.

Its a different matter if he wants to go, regardless of any offer we put on the table, but I'd hope we could reach agreement with him. There's a whole raft of players I'd be looking to move on ahead of Kamara if its a case of us 'having' to sell.

The boy is champions League quality, he really is. If we have aspirations of competing at that level for the next couple of years then we should moving heaven and earth to keep him. That's a point that won't be lost on the manager.
I agree ....some of our ex players for some reason , can't see us competing at CL level , almost as if we shouldn't be there, and we should be content with winning the SPL
Kamara and half the team are more than capable , therefore we must keep our best to compete with the best , any success in Europe would bring in the money for the club which would eradicate selling off our best players.

I think he's improving all the time but I still have nagging doubts about his consistency, confidence and what I would call killer instinct. Of course he has the right manager to keep his development on the right track.

Some games he cruises like a rolls royce in others he can look off the pace, slack etc. I'd like him to stay but if a big offer came in then I don't think cashing in is crazy.

I know most press stories are bunk & I rarely ever pay any attention to them

What I have noticed though is that many named clubs are supposed to be interested in many of our players
But I can't recall a particular club being reportedly after GK
Have I missed this ?

Not that I can imagine he'd be short of interested admirers
I understand that at £50k - any bid will be in the high profit category- but we really need to be valuing Glen based on what it might cost to replace him
IMO he'll be a hard act to follow

To be fair. We have stood by him throughout the shite he took from that prick.

Perhaps he has the bond with the players and management now and feels he has a future in playing in Europe too if he stays with us.

Either way, i wish him all the best.

I know most press stories are bunk & I rarely ever pay any attention to them

What I have noticed though is that many named clubs are supposed to be interested in many of our players
But I can't recall a particular club being reportedly after GK
Have I missed this ?

Not that I can imagine he'd be short of interested admirers
I understand that at £50k - any bid will be in the high profit category- but we really need to be valuing Glen based on what it might cost to replace him
IMO he'll be a hard act to follow

He's been linked with Arsenal and I reckon it's inevitable that will be his next move, either this summer or next.

If he doesn't sign a contract extension then it's time to cash in on him because he will hold all the aces if we allow him to move into that final year.

If he wants to play CL football he needs to at least add 1 year minimum to his contract on revised terms.

Would love to keep Kamara but personally think if the likes of him & Borna have good Euro’s we could see both depart for big money

Did he not sign until 2023? I thought he had the same end of contract as Kent, Aribo etc?
Exactly what I thought if not I don't think he'll be leaving this year good chance at the group stages hopefully and a chance to win the league again with fans back in think he'll go the following year after signing an extension

Back