Would Silva have made the Grade in Scotland

Reading that, no.

Broadly generalising - win at all costs for two teams up here and agricultural football for the other forty. No breathing space for young guys who need properly mentored and developed to succeed up here these days. And those who do show signs of promise are snapped up by teams down south.

Unfortunately no, he would have been he was to small and let go. I reckon Messi, Xavi and Iniesta would have struggled to come through in Scotland too.

Having played at youth level, the set up here is a joke. I’ve been at Clyde, Patrick, Hearts and Livingston and the same shit happened at each one.

A striker that scored 40 goals but your fast so they reckon you should be a winger.

A midfielder that is taller than everyone becomes a defender and so on. Although it does seem like Benfica did that with Silva and made him train as a left back in the article.

Being a late developer in height, weight and mass, I was shunted from upfront to right back as I couldnt wrestle the big useless diddies that would play cb.

Why do Sky, the main broadcaster of Scottish football, feel the constant need to play down the product. What chance do we have.

Sky’s persistent fawning over Manchester City is also nauseating. What will be their line when they are found to have cheated and broken all the financial fair play rules?

What’s that got to do with Silva

Unfortunately no, he would have been he was to small and let go. I reckon Messi, Xavi and Iniesta would have struggled to come through in Scotland too.

Having played at youth level, the set up here is a joke. I’ve been at Clyde, Patrick, Hearts and Livingston and the same shit happened at each one.

A striker that scored 40 goals but your fast so they reckon you should be a winger.

A midfielder that is taller than everyone becomes a defender and so on. Although it does seem like Benfica did that with Silva and made him train as a left back in the article.

Being a late developer in height, weight and mass, I was shunted from upfront to right back as I couldnt wrestle the big useless diddies that would play cb.
Such a Scottish attitude. Me and my mate were smaller than most, not by much but smaller, we were both fast but I was a defender/full back and he was left footed and played CM, no, every coach we had started us as wingers because we out sprinted the rest of the team, no discussion just “right, your out on the wing speedy, and your on the left wing son.”
I laughed when I read your post, thinking surely they don’t still do that, but then reflected on it and thought, probably.:eek:

A few years back I was on a course finishing my military career and the instructor was telling me he was part of the alloa set up and the SFA. So I questioned the lack infrastructure at grass roots and how we are miles behind Northern Ireland and Wales.

My take is not enough are playing football at young ages. His response that's utter nonsense we have too many which makes it harder to spot the talent which is why we just going to concentrate on a select few(performance school).

Flabbergasted with the response.

Both the nation's listed above have since qualified for big tourney

Yes. The cloggers May suffocate a certain amount of talent but real quality like him will shine everywhere.

At least you're not bitter about it.

messi would have been told hes too wee and would have ended up tucking his trackie bottoms into his socks as he cut about your local shopping centre looking for his shop lifting pals

I get your point to an extent, but Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and Bernardo Silva would have easily made it in Scotland, or any other country on the planet.

You honestly think Messi would’ve struggled to have come through in Scotland?

You honestly think Messi would’ve struggled to have come through in Scotland?

Yip. No club in Scotland during the time I played would have paid for his health care nor consider him as an elite player due his size.

I’ve seen many skilled, technical, composed players released or driving out of the game by the extremely bad coaching that this country has had over the last 20 years. How many players have Rangers lost due to Sinclair during his era for size related issues?

Feck all, that Man City obsession is rapidly approaching the levels of the scum’s Rangers obsession. It’s the typical ‘always cheated never defeated’ outlook scum and Liverpool fans have always shared.
Considering everyone on sky wanted the murderers to win the league the guy is almost as bad as the mentally challengeds we slag on here.

This may well be true in places but my experience was generally more positive.

At the better clubs in the unders, the coaching was good. I also trained at a regional level & it was really excellent with a focus on technical ability. I always remember one of the coaches who took it was obsessed with the dutch set up. I suppose the trick was finding those/getting those opportunities.

Also the training/coaching at the spl clubs was very good at unders level (pre 16yr old) from my experience.

In any case, the idea that the likes of Messi, Iniesta or Xavi wouldnt make it in Scotland is up there with one of the daftest things I've heard.

The problem in Scotland is refereeing.

It’s so lax and poor, flair takes a back seat in favour of brawn and “getting tore in”.

Until referees take a tougher stance on bully boys then small technical players will not flourish.

Why do Sky, the main broadcaster of Scottish football, feel the constant need to play down the product. What chance do we have.

Sky’s persistent fawning over Manchester City is also nauseating. What will be their line when they are found to have cheated and broken all the financial fair play rules?

Without a doubt my favourite poster on Follow Follow ......

Yip. No club in Scotland during the time I played would have paid for his health care nor consider him as an elite player due his size.

I’ve seen many skilled, technical, composed players released or driving out of the game by the extremely bad coaching that this country has had over the last 20 years. How many players have Rangers lost due to Sinclair during his era for size related issues?

Have you seen the tapes of Messi as a 7 year old though running through the entire opposition team?

I think the players quoted on here would have made it as they’d have been so much better than the rest mate.

Back