Would Taiwo Awoniyi fit into our team?

Gio#56

Could it be a possibility? Would you take him?

Bring him in now and extend his loan next year when it is very likely Alfie moves on?

Is he any good? That Brewster that they sold to Sheff Utd was supposed to be brilliant but has been a massive flop?

His goals don't look the neatest or cleanest.

I wonder if his current goal run is "sustainable" or whether it's just a player going through a purple patch?

Ojo looked brilliant in flashes but largely was a man down. Same with Brewster, I worry that it's a theme with a lot of EPL academy graduates, technically decent but little consistency.

Ojo looked brilliant in flashes but largely was a man down. Same with Brewster, I worry that it's a theme with a lot of EPL academy graduates, technically decent but little consistency.
That lad that scored the first goal for Crawley the other day said that his year at Brentford was more beneficial to him than his time at Spurs due to playing against men in their youth team.

A lot of pros have raised concerns about the level the academy players are playing at as opposed to old school reserve football.

I'm sure he has played right wing in the past. He is a good player and had a great half season but the prices Liverpool get for their youngsters would have me believe he won't be worth their asking price.

towaway

towaway in American English. (ˈtouəˌwei) 1. an act or instance of towing away a vehicle that has been illegally parked.

Interesting point.
You wonder if playing elite academy football where there is a tendency to be playing only your peers , prepares you as well as instead playing junior or non-league grisly types from lower league football, or the old reserve games where unselected older pros would give you the benefit of their robust and often bitter professionalism when you came near them?

Players in Scotland used to get bloodied in junior football and often when eventually called up to their parent clubs were instantly able to withstand the step-up in physicality.
I remember watching Bobby Russell come out of junior football and immediately cope in a Rangers team who were competing in the European Cup.

Is he any good? That Brewster that they sold to Sheff Utd was supposed to be brilliant but has been a massive flop?
There’s loads out of the English academy sides that are hyped up and are rotten. We’ve had a few going back as far as Lee Martin from United. English academy players are just marketing exercises to boost revenue streams for clubs. Bam up a few 18 year olds as the next great english hope and then flog then for millions.

It’s a massive gamble anyway with these lads but given the money they’re on that young it’s doubtful whether they’ll have the hunger and desire to actually succeed.

Interesting point.
You wonder if playing elite academy football where there is a tendency to be playing only your peers , prepares you as well as instead playing junior or non-league grisly types from lower league football, or the old reserve games where unselected older pros would give you the benefit of their robust and often bitter professionalism when you came near them?

Players in Scotland used to get bloodied in junior football and often when eventually called up to their parent clubs were instantly able to withstand the step-up in physicality.
I remember watching Bobby Russell come out of junior football and immediately cope in a Rangers team who were competing in the European Cup.
I think theres something in it. The focus on coaching at EPL academies seems to be so heavily geared towards the technical and tactical (I.e. movement etc.) side of the game that the need to be able to be physically strong and combative appears almost an afterthought. Perhaps that ties in with the tendency to use long ball tactics as a last resort, less aerial duels, less likely to have to win second balls etc. as the flavour of the month is keeping the ball on the deck, pass and move. I'm not for one second advocating hoof ball or bully boy tactics, but it just seems strange to me how a lot of these boys seem to often have games pass them by, can't retain possession at times or duck out of challenges. Also, see B.Barker, ex man city academy. He's fast, he can dribble but he looks like he has absolutely zero confidence and no physical strength or presence.

Fcuk off. There's folk on here can't spell Zungu.
Yes, far too difficult a name, I can only imagine how my old man would say it, he has a knack of making up his own names for players which seem to be nothing like how you pronounce them.

There’s loads out of the English academy sides that are hyped up and are rotten. We’ve had a few going back as far as Lee Martin from United. English academy players are just marketing exercises to boost revenue streams for clubs. Bam up a few 18 year olds as the next great english hope and then flog then for millions.

It’s a massive gamble anyway with these lads but given the money they’re on that young it’s doubtful whether they’ll have the hunger and desire to actually succeed.
Agree but I think Gerrard should be better informed on guys from Liverpool. Whether they can cope with the pressure here is another matter.

Agree but I think Gerrard should be better informed on guys from Liverpool. Whether they can cope with the pressure here is another matter.
The scouting team seems to be doing an excellent job so if he got the green light I’d have every confidence he’d fit in.

Was more of a general point about the actual quality coming out of the English academies vs the hype. Look at Hudson-Odoi - signed a £30m contract with Chelsea and hasn’t kicked a ball since. Not all examples are that extreme but when you’re made for life at 19 I can understand why the hunger and desire to actual win falls away. See it all the time.

The scouting team seems to be doing an excellent job so if he got the green light I’d have every confidence he’d fit in.

Was more of a general point about the actual quality coming out of the English academies vs the hype. Look at Hudson-Odoi - signed a £30m contract with Chelsea and hasn’t kicked a ball since. Not all examples are that extreme but when you’re made for life at 19 I can understand why the hunger and desire to actual win falls away. See it all the time.
Paddy PR 07 Roberts. B-D B-) B-D

Come up to Scotland to a less technical league and play Ross County.
Sounds easy.
But suddenly you find that the lad in the County team will play with a hunger that isn't cushioned with a big contract, and that he really needs that bonus to pay his families bills, not to buy another fancy watch.

It says he's linked with the filth. Honestly can't see them splashing cash until there mess is sorted with board and managerial positions. Given the fact that they hosed quarter million on a piss up then furlough their youth a few days later and losing half a million a week.

I think theres something in it. The focus on coaching at EPL academies seems to be so heavily geared towards the technical and tactical (I.e. movement etc.) side of the game that the need to be able to be physically strong and combative appears almost an afterthought.

Perhaps that ties in with the tendency to use long ball tactics as a last resort, less aerial duels, less likely to have to win second balls etc. as the flavour of the month is keeping the ball on the deck, pass and move.

I'm not for one second advocating hoof ball or bully boy tactics, but it just seems strange to me how a lot of these boys seem to often have games pass them by, can't retain possession at times or duck out of challenges. Also, see B.Barker, ex man city academy. He's fast, he can dribble but he looks like he has absolutely zero confidence and no physical strength or presence.

Interesting observations here.

For me, focussing on technical and technique development (and seeking to aquire players who excell in these areas) makes perfect sense and is the correct approach.

My reasoning is that you can achieve physical development, relatively easily, at a later stage.

Meanwhile, in my opinion, you can't do things the "opposite way around" (i.e., I personally don't believe that you can add a layer of technical ability and great technique to a player who is excellent physically, but limited in terms of technical talent.)

This why I'm so excited about many of the players at Rangers at this time. I feel we have many players who are talented with the football, who are adding a layer of physical development on top of that. Which is the right way to do it in my opinion.

Last edited:
For me, focussing on technical and technique development makes perfect sense and is the correct approach.

My reasoning is that you can achieve physical development, relatively easily, at a later stage.

Meanwhile, in my opinion, you can't do things the "opposite way around" (i.e., I personally don't believe that you can add a layer of technical ability and great technique to a player who is excellent physically, but limited in terms of technical talent.)

The is why I'm so excited about many of the players at Rangers at this time. I feel we have many players who are talented with the football, who are adding a layer of physical development on top of that. Which is the right way to do it in my opinion.
Completely agree. It's why we're top of the league, luckily our first team squad already has the physicality required. Even the likes of Roofe at 5'9/5'10 wins so many headers against much larger CBs.

Completely agree. It's why we're top of the league, luckily our first team squad already has the physicality required. Even the likes of Roofe at 5'9/5'10 wins so many headers against much larger CBs.

Indeed.

I'm a big fan of all our forwards players. In my view, they are all technically able and are also physically strong.

Long may it continue.

Case in point Michael Stewart.

Maybe a coincidence we’re a stronger more consistent team the first season there’s no Ejaria or Ojo shoehorned in.

I'm sure he has played right wing in the past. He is a good player and had a great half season but the prices Liverpool get for their youngsters would have me believe he won't be worth their asking price.
For every Kent and Wilson, both of whom are still inconsistent, there’s an utter waste of money like Solanke.

Back