Would Walter get a better tune out this squad?

TerrySilverLoyal

And no I'm not saying let's get Walter back in before anybody starts.

Was just thinking that some on here blaming individuals for today. Some the managers tactics. And a bit of both.

Not looking to bash Gerrard or anything. Taking Europe aside as he has a fantastic record which we would be hard pushed to improve on currently.

Let's just for the sake of argument Walter was the manager with the current crop of players. How would this season play out?

Would we be as far behind? Closer? Still top?

451 against trickier teams and 2 up against the dross at home

I'm not meaning to essentially ask who would do better.

More of what the differences in what we would do/set up and how he would use the players at his disposal to change us up

I don’t think we would drop so many points from a winning position. He just knew how to get his team to win football matches

I know the situation is different but when you look at what Walter Smith achieved after the PLG fiasco with a similar type of transfer budget it’s night and day to be honest.

Domestically even after £20,000,000 spent we aren’t really any closer to winning the league than 3 years ago.

Of course he would, he’s a master at winning the title.

Put him in charge right now and he instantly improves us.

And no I'm not saying let's get Walter back in before anybody starts.

Was just thinking that some on here blaming individuals for today. Some the managers tactics. And a bit of both.

Not looking to bash Gerrard or anything. Taking Europe aside as he has a fantastic record which we would be hard pushed to improve on currently.

Let's just for the sake of argument Walter was the manager with the current crop of players. How would this season play out?

Would we be as far behind? Closer? Still top?

451 against trickier teams and 2 up against the dross at home
I’d bet my house on the answer to this being yes.

Walter knows what winning is about as a manager.

Gerrard doesn't just now. He needs to learn.

We are at the business end of his 2nd season and he has learned the square root of feck all, when is he going to learn? At the start of the fourth season when the mhanks are going for 11 in a row?

I don't care about the Champions League qualifiers in the 90s, the 10iar season or what happened at Everton. My belief in that man is unshakable and I believe that he, with Ally and McDowell would not only have won the league this year but last year as well.

Players not worth it are sussed quickly and those who can be are twice the player under him. Referees would be scared and we would never say die our way across the line.

I agree with previous posters. Apart from the last twenty minutes vs Braga, we have been piss poor since Xmas. The players are shit out of form and confidence is clearly low. They need motivating which Sir Walter was superb at. Mr Gerrard needs to earn his wage here and do something.

I actually think with this squad and Walter in charge we would win the league with a bit to go. Not a criticism of Gerrard - he needs to learn to change shape and be more pragmatic at times but Walter would generally have us set up to win games ugly where need be and those are the games where Gerrard’s Plan A has failed us

Walter wouldn’t have qualified through 8 EL Quals. But would probably be riding high top of the league.

Back