Would we have won the 93 CL Final?

Would we have won?

• Yes (Rangers would have won)

• No (Milan would have beaten us)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disraeli

Bit of a debate that was going on in the family WhatsApp earlier concerned the game we were robbed of playing by cheating and corruption.

Let’s say the cheating of Marseille been exposed at the time and they were thrown out of the 92/93 Champions League. Had we reached the final would we have won the game?

This Rangers team was famous for its never say die spirit and went the entire European campaign undefeated, including two matches against a Marseille team who would beat Milan.
However, performances and results in the last weeks of the season look like they slipped - we lost two out of our four last league games, including a 3-0 defeat to Partick Thistle. Was this tiredness catching up on the players?
We also would have been without McCoist who broke his leg playing for Scotland in Portugal in April 93.

No doubt in my mind we would have beaten Milan.They sure as hell didn’t want to face us at the time.

It still astonishes me how Rangers took the corruption discovered during the semi-final so weakly. Any other club in our position would have played up merry hell. Imagine that had happened to Man Utd or Liverpool?
There were only allegations of Marseille cheating against CSKA and their role in the Hateley scenario.

The real cheating was against Valenciennes, watched an interview with Desaily recently and he said the players were furious. Even then, did the bribery charges not follow a few months after the tournament?.

They feel they would have won the game against Valenciennes & the CL anyway.

We had a genuinely great Rangers side capable of winning the Final. Milan would have been recognised as favourites, but the favourites don't always win.

I think it would've been a step too far.

We were dead on our feet by the end of that season. Half the team were playing with injuries, McCoist was out with a broken leg and Milan were an incredible side who had been beaten just twice in two years in Serie A.

I'd give us a fighting chance but that Milan side were just something else.

Honestly, think it would have been a step too far for us. How we meekly accepted what happened though still rankles.

It still astonishes me how Rangers took the corruption discovered during the semi-final so weakly. Any other club in our position would have played up merry hell. Imagine that had happened to Man Utd or Liverpool?
We had no where to go with any claims, UEFA put the frighteners on CSKA to withdraw their allegations against Marseille as they didn't want to tarnish their tournament. Without the Russians backing any claim we had nothing.

We were dead on our feet by the end of that season. Half the team were playing with injuries and Milan were an incredible side who had been beaten just twice in two years in Serie A.
Spooky clichés

I totally know what you mean but a big part of me thinks that would have only been worthwhile if it had been discovered at the time. Am I not right in saying it wasn't until a good number of years afterwards before it was discovered?

I went for Milan, they had some absolutely top notch players. But then again, so did Marseilles, so we would have had a chance and you never know.

Year I was born, so hard for me to say but I’ve always got the impression that whilst Milan were clearly an absolute unit of a side I think the mentality that was evident in the team especially considering what was already achieved and what went on to be achieved, would of got that trophy in the cabinet if we actually got to the final. They’d of just made it happen.

What a season it must of been to experience at the time though. Happy I was born in such a great year for us.

I voted yes, AC Milan were some team. But I think we would have won.
Especially if the rumours of them not wanting to play us, are true.
Was absolutely gutted to not get to the final.

Can we have a fit Ally McCoist?

Marseille couldn’t beat us in either game but beat Milan therefore we would also have beat Milan. :))

As much as I would have liked to see us match up against Milan, I think the likelihood of a positive result would have been slim. There would always be a chance of an upset, but that was an immense team and would have been strong favorites in my mind.

Of course you never can tell what might have been but Milan would probably have had too much for us in the final. They really were a fantastic side.

Milan's team for the final

Rossi - Tassotti, Maldini, Baresi, Costacurta - Lentini, Rijkaard, Albertini, Donadoni - van Basten, Massaro

From memory we'd have line up along the lines of (injuries + 3 foreign rule & Scottish cup starting XI)

Goram - McPherson, Robertson, Gough, Brown - Murray, Ferguson, McCall, Huistra - Durrant, Hateley

Trevor Steven was injured(would've played), Gary Stevens was out all season, McCoist was out with his leg break. The only other change I could see would be Dale Gordon for Neil Murray but Gordon was no longer getting regular games by then and Walter LOVED himself some Neil Murray.

We were dead on our feet by the end of that season. Half the team were playing with injuries, McCoist was out with a broken leg and Milan were an incredible side who had been beaten just twice in two years in Serie A.

I'd give us a fighting chance but that Milan side were just something else.

You are probably right.

Would have been nice to have found out.

We missed hateley over in france.

Loved that run but we did well to get two draws off Marseille. They outplayed us for much of the two games. We showed tremendous spirit. Milan were a level above Marseille and it was a big shock that they lost the final. They would have beaten us 9 times out of 10. Of course you never know..

Bit of a debate that was going on in the family WhatsApp earlier concerned the game we were robbed of playing by cheating and corruption.

Let’s say the cheating of Marseille been exposed at the time and they were thrown out of the 92/93 Champions League. Had we reached the final would we have won the game?

This Rangers team was famous for its never say die spirit and went the entire European campaign undefeated, including two matches against a Marseille team who would beat Milan.
However, performances and results in the last weeks of the season look like they slipped - we lost two out of our four last league games, including a 3-0 defeat to Partick Thistle. Was this tiredness catching up on the players?
We also would have been without McCoist who broke his leg playing for Scotland in Portugal in April 93.
No chance unfortunately. As I remember Marseille were the better team by a distance, was just determination that got us the draws.
AC Milan were brilliant at that time.
I remember thinking though that that was the start of good things in Europe under Walter....sadly not the case,

Milan were a great team then but so we're Marseille and they could not beat us.

I think we would have had a chance, no way could you write that Rangers team off.

Milan had gone off the boil which is how Marseilles beat them.
I think Milan would have beaten us but I'm glad it never happened.
Rangers isn't a club which wins trophies by committee.

It would have been a great game against Milan, and it would have been nice to find out who would have been the winners.

Impossible to say. Marseille absolutely schooled us for 65 minutes at Ibrox. They had beaten us easily in a friendly that same season too so I think, if we are honest, most of us walked away from that game utterly shellshocked that we had got out of it with a draw. By the time we went to France the team had really grown into the competition though and whilst they were the better team, we were much closer and possibly should've gone through with that late chance at the end. Again, being honest, we all probably felt like we could win this thing at this stage. Outplayed over the two games and the fuckers still couldn't beat us, says everything you need to know about the manager and that squad of players.

Had that chance gone in, it's fair to say Milan would've had most of the ball in the final but we were so strong in the middle of the park and at the back you never felt we would concede many. The quality up front meant we could score against anyone.

Taking emotion out of it I'd say 1-1 after 90mins with the Tally's winning it in ET.

It would have been a great game against Milan, and it would have been nice to find out who would have been the winners.
That and Boli forced Van Basten into retirement, not sure our lads would have got near Marco to do that :))

I always imagined a very similar final to the actual one with Bomber in the Basil Boli role. Imagine he had scored the winner for Rangers in the European Cup final, they’d still be trying to catch him now!

Milan were basically playing with 10 men, Van Basten was nowhere fit and I think this was his last game for the club?

They were poor on the night and Marseille were deserved winners, we would have had every chance of beating them.

No we wouldn't have.
Would have been one game too far for that squad.
They peaked in Marseille and not winning that game killed our hopes.

Impossible to say. Marseille absolutely schooled us for 65 minutes at Ibrox. They had beaten us easily in a friendly that same season too so I think, if we are honest, most of us walked away from that game utterly shellshocked that we had got out of it with a draw. By the time we went to France the team had really grown into the competition though and whilst they were the better team, we were much closer and possibly should've gone through with that late chance at the end. Again, being honest, we all probably felt like we could win this thing at this stage. Outplayed over the two games and the fuckers still couldn't beat us, says everything you need to know about the manager and that squad of players.

Had that chance gone in, it's fair to say Milan would've had most of the ball in the final but we were so strong in the middle of the park and at the back you never felt we would concede many. The quality up front meant we could score against anyone.

Taking emotion out of it I'd say 1-1 after 90mins with the Tally's winning it in ET.

I was front row east enclosure for that friendly. Pele done big Nissy with the most ridiculous piece of skill I’ve ever seen right on the touchline infront of me. :))

The bribery was reported to UEFA weeks before the final, but decided to play it and have an enquiry after. :mad: Crazy. Sure it was Club Brugge who informed UEFA. Tapie had UEFA in his back pocket, but not theFrench police. I've never forgiven UEFA for that move. After the enquiry where Marsielles were found guilty, UEFA said the players could keep their medals as they had nothing to do with corruption, but, there would be no winners name engraved on the cup for that year. Also annoys me that they are now recognised as champions league winners, even on UEFA official site. knts

Yes, we would have went a goal down and come back to win 2-1. To this day I believe that’s what would have happened.

The bribery was reported to UEFA weeks before the final, but decided to play it and have an enquiry after. :mad: Crazy. Sure it was Club Brugge who informed UEFA. Tapie had UEFA in his back pocket, but not theFrench police. I've never forgiven UEFA for that move. After the enquiry where Marsielles were found guilty, UEFA said the players could keep their medals as they had nothing to do with corruption, but, there would be no winners name engraved on the cup for that year. Also annoys me that they are now recognised as champions league winners, even on UEFA official site. knts
Is that true, their name is not on the Champions' League trophy?

I'm willing to bet McCoist would never have played Portugal if we'd got there.

Re: the game - who knows, but the thought of Neil Murray playing them gives me the shivers

Milan's team for the final

Rossi - Tassotti, Maldini, Baresi, Costacurta - Lentini, Rijkaard, Albertini, Donadoni - van Basten, Massaro

From memory we'd have line up along the lines of (injuries + 3 foreign rule & Scottish cup starting XI)

Goram - McPherson, Robertson, Gough, Brown - Murray, Ferguson, McCall, Huistra - Durrant, Hateley

Trevor Steven was injured(would've played), Gary Stevens was out all season, McCoist was out with his leg break. The only other change I could see would be Dale Gordon for Neil Murray but Gordon was no longer getting regular games by then and Walter LOVED himself some Neil Murray.
We also had Mikhailichenko, who was a great player, albeit not always suited to playing in Scotland. I’m sure Admin posted an article last week where Walter Smith stated he was one of his 5 best signings for Rangers, or something along those lines, and that he was an unbelievable player.

I went for Milan, due to:

1) We had too many key players injured;

2) Italian teams usually seem to edge out Scottish teams when it comes to the crunch (Fiorentina being the more recent exception).

Had we had our first choice team available -

Goram/Stevens/Gough/Brown/Robertson/Steven/McCall/Durrant/Mikhailichenko/McCoist/Hateley

- then we would have given them a hell of a game.

We were running on empty from what I've read/learned about out (was 4 months old at the time)

Bridge too far IMO.

It was always my uncle who took me to the games but for my Birthday that year I wanted me and my dad to go to the CL games together so my sister took my season ticket beside my uncle and cousin in the main stand and I sat with my dad in the BR.

We had perfect views of two of the main talking points of the group. Nissys goal and the complete and utter joke that was Hateleys sending off. Would Hateley have been suspended for the final aswell as ally missing out?

It was always my uncle who took me to the games but for my Birthday that year I wanted me and my dad to go to the CL games together so my sister took my season ticket beside my uncle and cousin in the main stand and I sat with my dad in the BR.

We had perfect views of two of the main talking points of the group. Nissys goal and the complete and utter joke that was Hateleys sending off. Would Hateley have been suspended for the final aswell as ally missing out?
Don’t quote me but I’m sure he would have played.

Back