Would we strengthen further in January if leading?

For me there’s only currently one position I want us actively looking for someone to come in and improve on and that’s Barkers

Other than that, unless we sell or unless something unexpected comes up in terms of quality/availability then I doubt we’ll see anything

I was a bit surprised (not disappointed- just surprised) we didn't take any loan players in the last window

Depending on the reasons for that -
i.e. maybe that's no longer our strategy - or there was nobody suitable available-
But either way - if the right options do present themselves - loan or not - I hope we take advantage of what's best for us

The January window is typically a bit of an oddball - & because of that I'm unconvinced we'll have many - if any - fresh bids for our players- but if we do - we'll need to have replacements lined up before selling imo

We'd also need to properly deal with short & long term injuries- if we're unfortunate enough to have any

But I'm hoping for very little movement either in or out & a settled squad that's used to each other going into the new year

I was a bit surprised (not disappointed- just surprised) we didn't take any loan players in the last window

Depending on the reasons for that -
i.e. maybe that's no longer our strategy - or there was nobody suitable available-
But either way - if the right options do present themselves - loan or not - I hope we take advantage of what's best for us

The January window is typically a bit of an oddball - & because of that I'm unconvinced we'll have many - if any - fresh bids for our players- but if we do - we'll need to have replacements lined up before selling imo

We'd also need to properly deal with short & long term injuries- if we're unfortunate enough to have any

But I'm hoping for very little movement either in or out & a settled squad that's used to each other going into the new year
Isnt Zungu a loan to buy. But I think its already a done deal to buy him.

Just seen that John Lundstram has rejected a new contract at Sheffield United. Wonder if we’ve got an eye on a pre-contract in January.

Sell the £1m player he's replace in the squad then.

If we could get someone better than Jones or Barker in January for two million, I'd happily take them and have that playe drop down the pecking order with a £5m player in the summer if funds allow.

Its simply showing we're progressing again at that point.
Potentially right but sometimes it's better to wait for the right player than buy someone who will be just taking up space.

With the example of Jones we got him for free BUT we have been trying to sell him for near a year now with no takers. So you can get caught in that situation.

That’s part of creating the opportunity.
The players at the bottom of the 28, the players who have contributed, all things considered, the least, get moved on and others sourced to take their place.
The source might be our youths of course but may need to be purchased.
True, which is why I don't believe we will be making major changes in Jan as it's less likely that we will be able to shift players then. The likes of Stewart etc. will be leaving in the summer so then a space is available however he's made like 1 appearance this season.

I think as of right now there’s only one real weakness in our squad and that’s having an adequate back up to Kent, so that he can get some rest. We do have good attacking players but we have no one who has kents pace and directness and ability on the ball. So a player who has those attributes who can give Kent a rest is probably the only clear weakness in my eyes. He would also add another dimension to our attack. I’m probably being greedy with that one but I’m pretty happy with where the squad is.

The only thing I think we might lack a little of is genuine useful pace in forward areas. I'd say Kent, Jones and Barker are the only 3 that I'd consider quick and I don't know if Jones has the full faith of SG and Barker isn't good enough to really utilise it.

In saying that though I don't think it's something we need the way thing stands. 90% of the games we play have no space to make use of pace and we're more than competitive in Europe without needing to rely on it to get us up the park.

Potentially right but sometimes it's better to wait for the right player than buy someone who will be just taking up space.

With the example of Jones we got him for free BUT we have been trying to sell him for near a year now with no takers. So you can get caught in that situation.

Yeah, all about making sure the player is the right fit.

I think Jones would have been far more of a good signing for us if he hadn't had his brain fart moment in the OF game. It cost him months of playing time just as he was looking like he could contribute and I can only imagine it did him no favours with the management team either.

At the same time, IF the player is a difference maker in the 2nd half of the season and then becomes surplus to requirements when we bring in someone even better, I can accept that if it's the difference between a trophy or not.

Back