Would you be upset at having to move for safe standing?

Would you move seats

• Total voters
Any chance of the following poll?:

Are you sick listening to this whole safe standing borefest?:
  • No - I want to bore everybody to death
  • Yes - I wish to fcuk they would shut up as it's not going to happen
I must say, that’s somewhat ironic to say the least :D :D

Not really, I wouldn't mind moving.

What I'd like to see though is the club ask the support. Who want's it, would you move seat, are you willing to pay a bit extra to cover the costs?

Dismissing it out of hand, which is pretty much what SR done at the AGM is not good enough.

Here's an article from 5 years ago (beware there are a lot of references to celtic in it), costing £80 per seat. That's probably doubled by now. Just ask the support.

Last edited:
Your thread title and title of your OP are polar opposites mate, so you're going to get conflicting answers .

The thread title says "would you be upset at having to move?"
The OP is titled "would you move seats?"

You're not going to get an accurate answer unless you amend one of them.

Personally, I'm in favour of the principle of safe standing, but would be against being moved.
I've sat with my dad and uncle since my first ST when I was 8, 21 years ago and also have a lot of mates in our supporters club round about too who've gone for years.

A lot of people on here go on about "matchday experience."
Well my matchday experience is meeting a squad of people I've known for about 20 years, down PRW before the game, going to the game and sitting together, getting a blether about the game on the concourse at ht and then meet up down PRW after the game again.

I don't want to lose that and I'm sure plenty others feel the same.

Like I say, I'm in favour of creating a safe standing section and it won't affect me, as I'm in the Main Stand, but it's a sensitive situation.
Think the only solution mate is to move away fans to BF1 and the Union bears to the corner.
Not ideal but better than what we have now.

I don't entirely agree with that TBH re the bevvy thing and away days "not being about the football", a hell of a lot of the away support go away every second weekend rather than it simply being a bevvy day out. A slight element of myth around the idea that many drink that much more or less at your average away day than they would at a home game, Semi Finals or Finals sure, but most away games i.e Livvy, St Miren etc it's hardly the travel time to be on location to drink much more than people would at Ibrox, and most who drink away can drink at home games, there is a pretty decent number of pubs around Ibrox. I would expect by the time you chuck in people who don't always attend Ibrox and get the day out a higher % of the support at Ibrox are on the bevvy than that of the away support

The travel time to most likely doesn't change that much regardless of where we are playing due to the range of where fans come from unless it is Aberdeen or Ross County which generally are just decent for the bus and the day, an away day isn't more vocal because people are steaming and going heavy on the bevvy.

I would also question the point re having a bigger support to rival, in reality at most away games, there isn't that much a difference between the number of home fans to Rangers fans

Atmosphere, doesn't always have to be dictated by the sense of occasion, we have a section at the moment who literally evidence that most weeks at Ibrox, the general level of noise that comes from them doesn't change that much regardless of the event or occasion.

This isn't really a thread to name or shame, always find it odd how uppity some get when these questions are asked, it's not really mocking anyone
It is mocking mate, the first option, "no I love my piece of plastic" is a snide dig and completely disregards why people like sitting where they are and the convenience of it.

All away matches have a bigger opposition support compared to the opposing support at our home games so there is a more tense and charged atmosphere and it helps to get the noise levels up.

All away matches have a bigger opposition support compared to the opposing support at our home games so there is a more tense and charged atmosphere and it helps to get the noise levels up.
So is it that or, this

"Atmosphere will always be dictated by the sense of occasion, the opposition and what is happening on the pitch"

Because these are different things, in one breath you are saying what happens on the pitch drives it and on the next it is what is going on in the stands.

What it seems to me you are saying is it can take a number of contributing factors to create and drive atmosphere, which is the general point people make when advocating standing, that it would throw an additional element into the mix to help further drive what already exists.

I mean I reckon I'd be perplexed since I sit in the main stand, so you'd assume the safe standing wouldn't be there, but I personally wouldn't mind too much if I needed to stand.

maybe I’m wrong. But I don’t believe the club when they say it isn’t overwhelming support for it.

A small percentage would be against it. But I don’t know any bear who isn’t for it

The odd thing is it is only going to affect a small minority so why does it need overwhelming support? Eg do fans in the Govan Stand have to agree to changes in the Club Deck?

Another point worth making is why would anyone it doesnt affect be against it?

Your thread title and title of your OP are polar opposites mate, so you're going to get conflicting answers .

The thread title says "would you be upset at having to move?"
The OP is titled "would you move seats?"

You're not going to get an accurate answer unless you amend one of them.

Personally, I'm in favour of the principle of safe standing, but would be against being moved.
I've sat with my dad and uncle since my first ST when I was 8, 21 years ago and also have a lot of mates in our supporters club round about too who've gone for years.

A lot of people on here go on about "matchday experience."
Well my matchday experience is meeting a squad of people I've known for about 20 years, down PRW before the game, going to the game and sitting together, getting a blether about the game on the concourse at ht and then meet up down PRW after the game again.

I don't want to lose that and I'm sure plenty others feel the same.

Like I say, I'm in favour of creating a safe standing section and it won't affect me, as I'm in the Main Stand, but it's a sensitive situation.
My crowd and I are very much similar to this, other than the HT meeting.
That would have to be in the centre circle for us!
Mixed bunch in terms of safe standing views, some in favour and some not.
My seat has been in the main stand since my first purchase in 1986, other than the two spiv seasons, so whatever is decided on safe standing isn’t going to affect me.
I’m pretty ambivilous to the idea.
I get why stadia is all seated in both safety terms and crowd control and wouldn’t want any of this removed so, I’d only offer a definitive opinion once I’ve seen this addressed.

Any chance of the following poll?:

Are you sick listening to this whole safe standing borefest?:
  • No - I want to bore everybody to death
  • Yes - I wish to fcuk they would shut up as it's not going to happen

You need another option.

No. Im sick of going to a boring library like Ibrox and Im desperate to get safe standing to help drive the team on to 56.

My crowd and I are very much similar to this, other than the HT meeting.
That would have to be in the centre circle for us!
Mixed bunch in terms of safe standing views, some in favour and some not.
My seat has been in the main stand since my first purchase in 1986, other than the two spiv seasons, so whatever is decided on safe standing isn’t going to affect me.
I’m pretty ambivilous to the idea.
I get why stadia is all seated in both safety terms and crowd control and wouldn’t want any of this removed so, I’d only offer a definitive opinion once I’ve seen this addressed.

Can you ask your friends that are against safe standing are they saying they dont want to stand or are they saying they dont want anyone to stand. Id love to know.

Can you ask your friends that are against safe standing are they saying they dont want to stand or are they saying they dont want anyone to stand. Id love to know.
None of our group are in the Broomloan so are unlikely to be affected in any way.
The two young guys are in favour as are the two young girls and all would happily move to the area.
None of the six adults care too much either way but wouldn’t move to the new area.

I know its just a seat but ive been in my seat for 30+ years and its about the people round about me not the 2 bits of plastic
Totally agree. Sitting next to the same folk for decades. It’s not just a bit of plastic.
Short of moving every STH, how do you keep folk together?

It's off the agenda as some fans cant wrap the dodgy songs and such an area is seen as " high maintenance " for that stuff and the likes of delaying games for eight minutes to clear snowballs.
Absolutely nothing to do with that. Boring, ill-informed argument

So what about the rest of the fans that sing questionable songs at away games? Have BF1 to take the blame for their actions?

Nothing worse than those who think they own a seat.
Club maintain the right to move your seat for every single game if they wanted to but people think they own a seat haha

Listening to H&H yesterday and when the discussion of safe standing was brought up, one of the reasons is people don’t want to move. I sit in the club deck so where I sit wouldn’t be affected, but if I sat somewhere it would, I don’t really understand why anyone would feel so strongly about it, knowing the match day atmosphere would be much better

Why does being able to stand automatically make an improvement to the atmosphere?

None of our group are in the Broomloan so are unlikely to be affected in any way.
The two young guys are in favour as are the two young girls and all would happily move to the area.
None of the six adults care too much either way but wouldn’t move to the new area.

Interesting. It looks like none of them are against it but some might claim that out of the 10 only 4 are in favour. That gives the impression the majority are against.

Im thinking this is probably typical of most of our fans but somehow the club is claiming it doesnt have a majority in favour.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Thanks for the reply.

Why does being able to stand automatically make an improvement to the atmosphere?
I can remember sitting at aways when Walter Smith was manager and the atmosphere was terrible

Compare that to now, even without a UB presence, it’s night and day

Absolutely nothing to do with that. Boring, ill-informed argument

So what about the rest of the fans that sing questionable songs at away games? Have BF1 to take the blame for their actions?
If you are saying that a standing area wont be a hotbed for Buckie swilling bams with half a gram up their snout who have been told they should fxck the pope then yer maw sells Avon .

Rangers can do what they want it’s their seat the person sitting on it for 3 or 30 years don’t own it.

There was people in Bar72 who didn’t want to give up their seat but couldn’t afford the increase.

Double the price and offer them the upgrade that will be Safe Standing in that section if you don’t wish you’ll be out on a list to be seated elsewhere just like we were it’s as simple as that.

Rangers will not lose any money over this, there will be thousands of bears willing to relocate or buy into a new standing section it’s really not that difficult.

If you are saying that a standing area wont be a hotbed for Buckie swilling bams with half a gram up their snout who have been told they should fxck the pope then yer maw sells Avon .
You get that in every section of Ibrox, it may well attract bams but it wouldn’t be any worse than what our away ends/euro away ends can be like

That’s not the reason it won’t happen, load of utter tosh

I wouldn’t move and voted that way , however I sit in BR2 , doubt be much safe about at safe standing in an upper tier

Don’t think I can genuinely answer this truthfully as I know it’s never going to happen to my seat in clubdeck

Nothing worse than those who think they own a seat.

It may be that for some mate, but for plenty of others it's about who they sit beside and how long they've sat together.

However, as @LOL 133 has said, the only people that should really have a say on this are those that will actually have to move because of a safe standing section being created in their area.

The opinions of people who sit elsewhere in the ground (like myself) are kinda irrelevant.

So is it that or, this

"Atmosphere will always be dictated by the sense of occasion, the opposition and what is happening on the pitch"

Because these are different things, in one breath you are saying what happens on the pitch drives it and on the next it is what is going on in the stands.

What it seems to me you are saying is it can take a number of contributing factors to create and drive atmosphere, which is the general point people make when advocating standing, that it would throw an additional element into the mix to help further drive what already exists.

Read what was written again -

The above remains my opinion

The word "helps" is key there.....it help's,

And they are not really different things - as the second part about away matches and a bigger opposing support ties into the sense of occasion from the first part.

Again I've not go an issue with people making a case for safe standing - it's the tone of the OP who mocked anyone who is happy with their current seat.

Read what was written again -

The above remains my opinion

The word "helps" is key there.....it help's,

And they are not really different things - as the second part about away matches and a bigger opposing support ties into the sense of occasion from the first part.
To answer your question asked in your first post then,

"I sit in main rear so won't affect me but tell me how the match day atmosphere will be much better?" (with safe standing)

It HELPS because it offers a greater sense of occasion and meaning to some and generates a more charged and tense atmosphere, demonstrated by the section who currently do stand, sing and create atmosphere v the rest of the stadium which very rarely does. A decent justification for a standing section would be to remove the UB for a few weeks and see what games were like.

Last edited:
Surely the "thick" thing to do is generically label all support under the same category of fan and make up reasons why a standing section wouldn't be accommodated as you have, that's "thick" actually
I didnt . I said the clubs thinking is it would attract high maintenance bams that could get us into bother .

Last edited:
You get that in every section of Ibrox, it may well attract bams but it wouldn’t be any worse than what our away ends/euro away ends can be like

That’s not the reason it won’t happen, load of utter tosh
I think it is the main reason so we will agree to disagree on that but i am sure you will join me in hoping for a positive result tonight.

Those who want to make an atmosphere should get priority. The seat belongs to the club not any individual

It’s very simple.

Say there’s a starting point of 500 seats with expansion in the future available. So start with CF3

Find out the views of the ST holders in that section and how many would stay and how many would not want to stay.

Then offer the ones who don’t like it to move to say BF1 plus a discount of say 10% on the ST.

If they accept then happy days, if not then it’s a a shame but there is plenty others that will take their spot.

If the trial is a success then you can expand into CF4 and CF2.

Rangers can do what they want it’s their seat the person sitting on it for 3 or 30 years don’t own it.

There was people in Bar72 who didn’t want to give up their seat but couldn’t afford the increase.

Double the price and offer them the upgrade that will be Safe Standing in that section if you don’t wish you’ll be out on a list to be seated elsewhere just like we were it’s as simple as that.

Rangers will not lose any money over this, there will be thousands of bears willing to relocate or buy into a new standing section it’s really not that difficult.
Rangers are doing what they want. There will be no safe standing in the near future. Some people can't accept that and turn their guns on people who don't want a hypothetical move. "You don't own your seat Rangers do". Similarly , you don't own Ibrox Rangers do and they are quite happy with things as they are right now.

Rangers are doing what they want. There will be no safe standing in the near future. Some people can't accept that and turn their guns on people who don't want a hypothetical move. "You don't own your seat Rangers do". Similarly , you don't own Ibrox Rangers do and they are quite happy with things as they are right now.

That’s fair enough mate but they should make it known they don’t want it then and the group who do will have to accept it.

Ibrox is largely a morgue these days. Anything that can be done to make that better needs to happen. If that means upsetting a few hundred people, then so be it. What’s best for the club and the team comes first over someone attached to a piece of plastic that they rent for 30 hours a year.

Doesn’t affect me unless safe standing is an option for the Club Deck,
I don’t think the debate over safe standing has gone away but fans can’t even decide where it should be,Expanding the U.B.s would probably be the easiest option if not the best,

The poll options don't make sense.

Would you be upset - "no, I love my piece of plastic"

Surely this is a dig at those who don't want to move, but the option says they wouldn't be upset?

Depends where I'm getting moved to, I moved from The South West to The Govan Front, if I get moved back to a seat as shit as my old one then god no. If it's decent then yes.

Slightly off topic, but do the disabled access issues in the enclosures and the desire to have safe standing (often mooted for Broomloan Front) not present the opportunity to progress both?

I've voted No, I wouldn't change seat, however it's a pretty pointless poll for me personally as I sit in GR5.

If I sat in The Copland or Broomloan then I'd be happy to move to accommodate safe standing. I'd just go get a season ticket in the Sandy Jardine Rear, where all the cool guys sit. :cool:

The odd thing is it is only going to affect a small minority so why does it need overwhelming support? Eg do fans in the Govan Stand have to agree to changes in the Club Deck?

Another point worth making is why would anyone it doesnt affect be against it?
Exactly. I’m sure if we polled every one in the Broomloan front you could come up with a list of folk who had an issue with it and then come up with a solution for what would be more than a hundred probably.

Discount of next ticket, choice of a move, %^*& a bloody hospitality day.

If you then offered everyone who wanted safe standing the chance to pay £50 or what ever, the thing would be self funding.

I don’t see why the club won’t do it. It makes no sense.

Back