Would you be upset at having to move for safe standing?

Would you move seats

• Total voters
Listening to H&H yesterday and when the discussion of safe standing was brought up, one of the reasons is people don’t want to move. I sit in the club deck so where I sit wouldn’t be affected, but if I sat somewhere it would, I don’t really understand why anyone would feel so strongly about it, knowing the match day atmosphere would be much better
Easy to say when you know it doesn't affect you

Would a compromise not be to split the lower tiers of the Broomloan and Copland into a mixture of normal seating and safe standing along the complete length of the tier??

There are currently 27 rows in each area (Row A at the front up to row AA at the back) Why not have the front row (A) altered to accommodate wheelchair users, then 13 rows (B - N) could be normal seating and the 13 rows behind (O - AA) could be changed to safe standing.

This would accommodate three different demographics of our support that was mentioned yesterday at the AGM. The ratio of rows can be altered to suit (eg 10 seating and 16 safe standing, or whatever suits supporter demand). It would also allow folk asked to move seats the ability to stay in the same stand, albeit in a slightly different position.

Season tickets could be sold as Broomloan Front Seating, with the Broomloan Front Safe Standing section behind. If successful a similar lower tier in the Copland Road end of the ground could be added.

If, as folk say, the atmosphere would be enhanced by standing sections, then we would have better atmosphere at both ends of the ground which may get the whole stadium rocking more often.

I sit in the Copland Rear, so it's highly unlikely that a safe standing section would affect me. If it did I would probably move as long as me and my two mates got three seats together in an area with no worse a view than what we have now.

Until an actual area and proper plans are shown to the season ticket holders, to allow them to make an informed decision about whether they would be willing to move or not, it is all hypothetical.

Exactly. I’m sure if we polled every one in the Broomloan front you could come up with a list of folk who had an issue with it and then come up with a solution for what would be more than a hundred probably.

Discount of next ticket, choice of a move, %^*& a bloody hospitality day.

If you then offered everyone who wanted safe standing the chance to pay £50 or what ever, the thing would be self funding.

I don’t see why the club won’t do it. It makes no sense.
This is your next task :D

One I’ll be able to support haha

I imagine if there was a survey done of BF the results would be over 98%+ for safe standing.

The club is barking up the wrong tree if they do a survey anywhere else in the ground. Imagine that’s where they pull the ‘mixed reactions’ nonsense from.

I imagine if there was a survey done of BF the results would be over 98%+ for safe standing.

The club is barking up the wrong tree if they do a survey anywhere else in the ground. Imagine that’s where they pull the ‘mixed reactions’ nonsense from.
Exactly

Exactly. I’m sure if we polled every one in the Broomloan front you could come up with a list of folk who had an issue with it and then come up with a solution for what would be more than a hundred probably.

Discount of next ticket, choice of a move, %^*& a bloody hospitality day.

If you then offered everyone who wanted safe standing the chance to pay £50 or what ever, the thing would be self funding.

I don’t see why the club won’t do it. It makes no sense.
This is an oversimplification. There are no extra seats to play with in good positions, so you’re having to transplant people as closely as possible to their current seat configuration with the people selected for this new safe standing zone who could come from all over the stadium. Plenty of those will be coming from pish seats.

Think it would be well more than 100 people but in any event, you’ll not be able to find a solution to it. They don’t want to move. The club can force them but when they aren’t arsed about organising and paying for it why would they?

The club shout do it and say the section is changing to standing, there will still be seats in your spot but can’t guarantee everyone will use them and then offer a free relocation if this does not seem suitable. I think that is fair enough.

maybe I’m wrong. But I don’t believe the club when they say it isn’t overwhelming support for it.

A small percentage would be against it. But I don’t know any bear who isn’t for it
I think 99% would be all for it, as long as it's others that are moved. That's probably where the problem lies.

I'm in the EE but if it made people happy to have a safe standing section in the Broomloan then who am I to complain. If the safe standing section was made to be the EE then I wouldn't be as happy as I'd be moved to a potentially worse section. I'd still move but selfishly I'd prefer it wasn't my area that had to move.

I'm Govan Rear, so unlikely to be affected but I would not move unless it was for a comparable seat in another stand - ie a move to Main Stand Front or if I was Govan Front a move to the enclosure etc etc.

Rangers are doing what they want. There will be no safe standing in the near future. Some people can't accept that and turn their guns on people who don't want a hypothetical move. "You don't own your seat Rangers do". Similarly , you don't own Ibrox Rangers do and they are quite happy with things as they are right now.

Its amazing how arrogant and lacking in empathy those in charge at Ibrox can be. Young fans desperate to improve the atmosphere and matchday experience being treated with utter contempt. Gerrard more or less asked the fans to give more vocal support to the team as it helps drive them on but even that appears to count for nothing. It really is disgraceful.

Interesting. It looks like none of them are against it but some might claim that out of the 10 only 4 are in favour. That gives the impression the majority are against.

Im thinking this is probably typical of most of our fans but somehow the club is claiming it doesnt have a majority in favour.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Thanks for the reply.
If your collating replies for any particular reason, the only ones who really matter are those who might be displaced and, considering the most likely site for the standing area would be the Broomloan front, most ticket holders might be persuaded to move, given that they may not have been long term holders for that area.

Easy to say when you know it doesn't affect you

It doesnt affect about 9 out of 10 yet those it doesnt affect dont give support to those desperate for it. Why?

Incidentally everyone brnefits from a better atmosphere including the players but this doesnt seem to count. Its bizarre.

If your collating replies for any particular reason, the only ones who really matter are those who might be displaced and, considering the most likely site for the standing area would be the Broomloan front, most ticket holders might be persuaded to move, given that they may not have been long term holders for that area.

Correct. However it seems many that arent affected want to block it. Its ridiculous.

The UB and others should just do what everyone else does and sit in silence.

It's happening at big clubs throughout Europe, a few years ago I didn't quite get it but it's the way forward. In my opinion, the clubs should act sooner and implement it, moving the supporters that need to be moved.
We laugh at the EPL yet they are well ahead of us. Even grounds with traditionally poorer atmospheres are doing something about it. In a few years we will be the ones looked at for poor atmispheres.

I think 99% would be all for it, as long as it's others that are moved. That's probably where the problem lies.

I'm in the EE but if it made people happy to have a safe standing section in the Broomloan then who am I to complain. If the safe standing section was made to be the EE then I wouldn't be as happy as I'd be moved to a potentially worse section. I'd still move but selfishly I'd prefer it wasn't my area that had to move.

If ss was introduced there would be thousands applying to move there. This would free up seats all over the stadium so plenty of choice. If the club wanted they could set up a system where those being asked to move have the choice to stay put or move to one of the newly vacant seats.

Very odd that we seem to be the only club that cant introduce ss because of objections from some of our own fans.

If ss was introduced there would be thousands applying to move there. This would free up seats all over the stadium so plenty of choice. If the club wanted they could set up a system where those being asked to move have the choice to stay put or move to one of the newly vacant seats.

Very odd that we seem to be the only club that cant introduce ss because of objections from some of our own fans.
Even Real Madrid accomodate a hardcore group of fans in a prominent section. So the excuses that we have too many season ticket holders etc is garbage.

Even Real Madrid accomodate a hardcore group of fans in a prominent section. So the excuses that we have too many season ticket holders etc is garbage.

I wonder if RM's hardcore fans got abused for being selfish and entitled or were they supported by fellow fans who like to see and hear an amazing atmosphere?

I sit in GE and if the club chose to have safe standing there then I'd be very happy and opt to stay, likewise the majority who are around me.

I would object though if I was just moved to accommodate a mass migration from BF1/UBs. (A notion which can creep into these threads).

IF that were the plan then the club should begin safe standing in BF1 and BF2 or the whole BF.

Overall, safe standing is long overdue at Ibrox, imo

I wonder if RM's hardcore fans got abused for being selfish and entitled or were they supported by fellow fans who like to see and hear an amazing atmosphere?
For all the tourist club patter etc look at some teams far bigger than us offering their fans a place to gather if they wish to stand. Bayern Munich probably the hardest ticket to come by give their fans a section behind the goal.

Seen to be standing more and more in west enclosure- so happy to go all the way and get it back to the old west enclosure terracing days

I sit in GE and if the club chose to have safe standing there then I'd be very happy and opt to stay, likewise the majority who are around me.

I would object though if I was just moved to accommodate a mass migration from BF1/UBs. (A notion which can creep into these threads).

Overall, safe standing is long overdue at Ibrox, imo.

IF that were the plan then the club should begin safe standing in BF1 and BF2 or tge whole BF.
I get what you are saying mate. This has to be a bigger issue than UB/BF1 if it's going to work. No fan that wants to stand should be excluded. I think in time the UB capo's will still be at the front organising tifo's etc, but I think it has to be a proper democracy, if that's the right word, about how it's operated. I think that's where the Broomloan Collective comes in to it.

Seen to be standing more and more in west enclosure- so happy to go all the way and get it back to the old west enclosure terracing days
Why did it change mate? Was it all to do with Hillsbrough and the Taylor Report or was there a census among fans that all seater was the way forward even outwith that?

Safe standing cannot, and should not be in the Broomloan Road stand because that stand may have to be given to away supporters in the future for Scottish Cup games or if the stadium is ever used as a neutral venue again. Unless of course we want to give away access to the stadium from the city centre, PRW, Edminson house (when opened) and Ibrox underground? Unworkable. In my opinion the best place would be the Govan East corner (between the Govan and Copland Stands). There are possibilities to extend it into CF1 and GF7 should the scheme be a success.

Away fans can’t be moved to the club deck. There are only 2 entrances/ exits to the club deck, from each side, and access is already difficult. So now imagine how difficult it would be if there was only one entrance/ exit for 3/4rs of the entire stand. Or capacity would have to be dropped based on how many people we can have with only 1 entrance/ exit way? Also, do you want to be sitting directly below Hibs/ Celtic/ Aberdeen fans?

In terms of an investment priority for the club it is incredibly low, as well it should be. The club cannot charge anymore for a ST in a safe standing zone. Whereas for a similar outlay, they can charge masses more in Bar72, Argyle house and other hospitality suites. When it comes to ground improvements where there is no additional money to be made, as has been well covered on here our disabled support are in desperate need of a facilities upgrade. After this is dealt with I believe the next phase is looking at increasing capacity by lowering the pitch, and adding in a tier into the Copland/ Broomloan similar to Bar72.

Last but not least, the club will not want to be seen to be rewarding the Union Bears. They have repeatedly dragged the club’s name through the mud and can’t be seen to be being endorsed by the board for their behaviour.

No, I would want to move to where the young team are despite my rapidly advancing years.
People would genuinely be surprised at the demographics in the Curvas in Italy from what I've seen. Sure the centre was fucking nuts, but around the edges of the Curva you had older guys, families etc all joining it.

Overall, safe standing is long overdue at Ibrox, imo.

IF that were the plan then the club should begin safe standing in BF1 and BF2 or tge whole BF.

How would you feel if the UB moved into your section but you and others like you had the option to stay put? Im wondering if this is the answer. Let those that want to stay be allowed to stay but inform them that all vacant seats in their section will be allocated to UB and others that want to stand. Would you be ok with that? Do you think most others would too?

This is an oversimplification. There are no extra seats to play with in good positions, so you’re having to transplant people as closely as possible to their current seat configuration with the people selected for this new safe standing zone who could come from all over the stadium. Plenty of those will be coming from pish seats.

Think it would be well more than 100 people but in any event, you’ll not be able to find a solution to it. They don’t want to move. The club can force them but when they aren’t arsed about organising and paying for it why would they?
Where there is a will there is a way.

People will fall into four buckets.

- happy for safe standing and stay where they are
- happy for safe standing and happy to move
- don’t want safe standing as it means having to move but willing to listen to options
- don’t want safe standing and will refuse to move.

The latter I think will be a very small number

Safe standing cannot, and should not be in the Broomloan Road stand because that stand may have to be given to away supporters in the future for Scottish Cup games or if the stadium is ever used as a neutral venue again. Unless of course we want to give away access to the stadium from the city centre, PRW, Edminson house (when opened) and Ibrox underground? Unworkable. In my opinion the best place would be the Govan East corner (between the Govan and Copland Stands). There are possibilities to extend it into CF1 and GF7 should the scheme be a success.

Away fans can’t be moved to the club deck. There are only 2 entrances/ exits to the club deck, from each side, and access is already difficult. So now imagine how difficult it would be if there was only one entrance/ exit for 3/4rs of the entire stand. Or capacity would have to be dropped based on how many people we can have with only 1 entrance/ exit way? Also, do you want to be sitting directly below Hibs/ Celtic/ Aberdeen fans?

In terms of an investment priority for the club it is incredibly low, as well it should be. The club cannot charge anymore for a ST in a safe standing zone. Whereas for a similar outlay, they can charge masses more in Bar72, Argyle house and other hospitality suites. When it comes to ground improvements where there is no additional money to be made, as has been well covered on here our disabled support are in desperate need of a facilities upgrade. After this is dealt with I believe the next phase is looking at increasing capacity by lowering the pitch, and adding in a tier into the Copland/ Broomloan similar to Bar72.

Last but not least, the club will not want to be seen to be rewarding the Union Bears. They have repeatedly dragged the club’s name through the mud and can’t be seen to be being endorsed by the board for their behaviour.

Simple solution is to just ban the UB for life. How does that sound?

Simple solution is to just ban the UB for life. How does that sound?
I'd like to think they can look at the bigger picture and wise up a bit instead.

If they want treated like adults and given more responsibility they should start behaving like it.

They did at the AGM, Rangers know forcing people to move from seats they have had for years will cause a shitstorm and as there is no clear financial benefit, they see it as hassle they can do without.

So improving the atmosphere and matchday experience is seen as hassle?

Not a ST holder and yes I'd probably be upset at first if I was required to move, but then after I get moved I'd probably appreciate why it was done with a better atmosphere in the stadium as a whole.

BTW the correct answer is to reinstate the enclosures. The original standing areas retained after redevelopment and the best place for it all things considered IMO.

I would happily be given a new seat if guaranteed that my mate I sit next to currently would also be allocated a seat. I wouldn’t be happy to be told I am now safe standing (I am brooms front). Would happily move if it improved the atmosphere

I'd like to think they can look at the bigger picture and wise up a bit instead.

If they want treated like adults and given more responsibility they should start behaving like it.

Why dont you run a course on good manners and etiquette to help these hooligans mend their ways?

Now I know why we were described as "holy Willies" at a Celtic AGM.

What happened with seating at the likes of Spurs and West Ham when they went to their new stadiums, were fans offered a seat in a similar section? surely they weren't able to move every single fan to the exact same seating plan next to people you have previously possibly only sat next to at a match,

must have wrecked peoples heads.

Not a ST holder and yes I'd probably be upset at first if I was required to move, but then after I get moved I'd probably appreciate why it was done with a better atmosphere in the stadium as a whole.

BTW the correct answer is to reinstate the enclosures. The original standing areas retained after redevelopment and the best place for it all things considered IMO.

Enclosures only became standing by default. Everywhere else was seated. No club in its right mind would have a safe standing/ singing section split in two.

I'm Govan Rear, so unlikely to be affected but I would not move unless it was for a comparable seat in another stand - ie a move to Main Stand Front or if I was Govan Front a move to the enclosure etc etc.

If you were asked a straight question 'for or against safe standing' Im guessing you would say against. That demonstrates why the club shouldn't be looking to a majority throughout the stadium.

This is not a criticism of you in any way and I might be wrong in my assumption.

They did at the AGM, Rangers know forcing people to move from seats they have had for years will cause a shitstorm and as there is no clear financial benefit, they see it as hassle they can do without.
I think a point though is that in the next few years safe standing will be normalised in the UK so we will have to do it eventually. So why not be ahead of the curve and do it now?

How would you feel if the UB moved into your section but you and others like you had the option to stay put? Im wondering if this is the answer. Let those that want to stay be allowed to stay but inform them that all vacant seats in their section will be allocated to UB and others that want to stand. Would you be ok with that? Do you think most others would too?
I'd be cool with that. If I opted to stay then I would be joined by others who wanted safe standing ans what it can potentially bring. I agre with you that the option to move to a safe standing from other sections should not be restricted and open to all UB or otherwise.

Maybe this has been covered, if so I apologise for not reading all the various posts on the subject.

How big a safe standing area are folks talking about here?

I hate comparisons to the beggars, but they have a safe standing area so it's the one I can most readily picture. It must be around 1000 people? Those 1000 are folk who likely all stood and sang anyway (and in that exact same area of the ground), so not sure if installing it has improved either the atmosphere or the overall matchday experience for the many thousands not in that small section.

If we are talking about a section roughly the same as BF1 and BF2 just now, and it's the same fans who populate it, then we just surely get the same atmosphere as just now?
If we are talking about an entire stand area (such as the whole of the Copland Front) then it should make Ibrox noisier, which is good. But the logistics of it sound horrendous as the strong likelihood is a lot of loyal longstanding supporters will be moved to a seat that is worse than the one they have. I doubt there is anyone in CF who would be happy if asked to move to BF1.

Another question is, what if we made CF the safe standing area and the majority of fans already there wanted to stay? Would the current BF1 group be happy to stay where they are and they don't get in the new section?

I keep saying the same thing, I agree with safe standing in principle but the devil will be in the detail.

So improving the atmosphere and matchday experience is seen as hassle?
As much as the atmosphere and experience dramatically needs enhanced the numbers who attend each match will suggest to the board that there's not much need. IF numbers fell then they'd need to act.

Like ticket pricing I suppose a lot know/think it's high but pay so it suggests to the board it's appropriate.

Edinburgh City in the fourth tier are now in the process of getting Safe-Standing

So now we have embarrassing spectacle of Rangers falling behind Kilmarnock and Edinburgh City on the horizon.

"As the negotiations have progressed, we are excited to confirm that an agreement has been reached in principle that would allow the club to build a second stand on the North side of the pitch, subject to obtaining planning permission. The proposed structure will have both seated and safe standing sections and will be able to accommodate up to 1500 supporters. In addition to the planning application, this element of the project is currently going through the tendering and design process; we will reveal more information as soon as we are able."

Last edited:
Back