Would you still be as loyal a supporter if The Gers played in an overseas league?

cooperno.7

This is not a 'let's leave the SPL', although I wish we could.

I was thinking about how myself and thousands of other overseas bears still follow the famous by getting up at ridiculous hours in the morning to watch some matches and then go out for a full days work.

Do you think that you, and other supporters you know, would still be as loyal if the Gers moved to another international league (not in Europe), where you couldn't go to live games and had to get up in the middle of the night to watch them?

I'm not suggesting that overseas bears are stauncher, but was interested in whether you thought your support would wane.

Last edited:
I grew up in Sydney so I used to have to do that as a regular, my dad still does. get a few hours sleep before setting the alarm at 2am for a 3pm kick off during the winter months, and european games would be an early rise and I’d usually miss the end of the game depending on where I was working and how tight the game was. I’ve pretended my car battery was flat, couldn’t find my keys and that my dog had been sick so I had to take him to the vet just to finish games before

I imagine the novelty of getting up at 3am to watch us at home v Hamilton would wear off but the "big" games would hold the same appeal

It takes loads of folk longer to travel to Ibrox than the length of a football match. So to roll out of bed would be a piece of piss to many :D

Rangers are from Glasgow therefore anyone brought up supporting them know that wherever they move to the club will always be in glasgow.

The european league is the closest we would see of a platform like that. Albeit %^*& knows how that would work to be within the current domestic season for all countries.

The times I’ve been working both in the YSA and China I’ve certainly done it. Was early morning rises in the USA, but China is easy for weekend games, they are between 7 and 10 at night so perfect timing.

However midweek European games were very difficult, 3am kick offs.

Maybe not get to as many away games but then I never have got to many, the odd one here and there.

A British league would be preferred for me. Bus trips down South.

This is not a 'let's leave the SPL', although I wish we could.

I was thinking about how myself and thousands of other overseas bears still follow the famous by getting up at ridiculous hours in the morning to watch some matches and then go out for a full days work.

Do you think that you, and other supporters you know, would still be as loyal if the Gers moved to another international league (not in Europe), where you couldn't go to live games and had to get up in the middle of the night to watch them?

I'm not suggesting that overseas bears are stauncher, but was interested in whether you thought your support would wane.
i feel like you are asking for an opinion on something that will never ever happen and is therefore not worth discussing, sorry :))

It`s irrelevant.

It`s like me supporting NYR. I stay up occasionally to watch them at midnight but seldom see the end of the game.

If I supported an Aussie team, I wouldn`t stay up or get up early cos they wouldn`t mean that much to me.

i feel like you are asking for an opinion on something that will never ever happen and is therefore not worth discussing, sorry :))
Not with Rangers playing overseas but it’s probably a more relevant point to ask if you would still be as loyal if work or life was to take you overseas so kicks offs were at a mad time for you.

It certainly takes a bit of getting used to. Watching us play on a Sunday morning at 7am while nursing a huge hangover in the USA wasn’t much fun.

Got a season ticket and don't bother with away games now.

If we played in some sort of European mix league or Scandanavian one then I'd be more likely to go to away games.

People would be, however I really dont think the majority of fans realise how tough it can be. I was in New Zealand for a while and it was a nightmare sometimes for games. Lots of games on at the middle of the night, it leaves you absolutely shattered for work. Some games I couldnt watch live so would have to try not find out the score until i could watch on RTV later.

The best games where when they introduced a few friday night games, meaning I could wake up on the saturday morning to watch.

People would be, however I really dont think the majority of fans realise how tough it can be. I was in New Zealand for a while and it was a nightmare sometimes for games. Lots of games on at the middle of the night, it leaves you absolutely shattered for work. Some games I couldnt watch live so would have to try not find out the score until i could watch on RTV later.

The best games where when they introduced a few friday night games, meaning I could wake up on the saturday morning to watch.

i used to try this but the older i got the more i got into it and it used to make my day drag on and on not checking the results

i used to try this but the older i got the more i got into it and it used to make my day drag on and on not checking the results
Yeah, It didnt always work, then the games were ruined somewhat. There was also nothing worse than not finding out the score, waiting all day to watch it only for a terrible game where we get beat.

When I briefly lived in USA for a summer as a student we kept up to date on the internet and seen highlights.

I literally broke into the USD computer lab and pretended to be a student to check my emails but mainly to keep up to date with the rangers. This was in 2000 and the internet was relatively new as a fast source of news etc so we didn’t have phones or internet access at our flat accross the road from USD.

Also watched the odd game in the downtown bar (The Prince William maybe?) if times suited. Watched the 6-2 old firm game there which sucked. That involved getting the last trolley at 1am and hanging around with the homeless in the area until the bar opened at 5am!!

British League would be great as an alternative to what we have here now. For me, my kids, my dad and grandad before us, it has always been, it is, and it will always be, The Rangers.

Sorry OP but this comes across to me as a quest for staunch points and a bit disregarding of the lengths some fans go to to follow Rangers.

A lot of your audience here pay £0000s to follow the team far and wide each year, spending money that could probably buy them and their family an extra holiday each year. They do it out of love for the club and and a desire to see the team in the flesh. And you're essentially asking these people "If you couldn't devote a big part of your life and finances to follow the team, would you wake up at an awkward time of the day to turn on the TV?"

For me, the answer to that question is so obvious it doesn't really need to be asked.

I'm not having a go at you personally OP, I just wanted to say how your post came across to me and possibly others.

Absolutely 100% , 2 years notice couldn't come quick enough,given the shit of the past few months.
We have a global following and pulling power like no other club in the uk.

Yeah, It didnt always work, then the games were ruined somewhat. There was also nothing worse than not finding out the score, waiting all day to watch it only for a terrible game where we get beat.
the straw that broke the camels back for me was the game v ICT when ian black scored a pen in the 89th minute or something. i thought, all day at work we were a cert to win and even brought one of the lads back to watch it and have a few beers, then that happened :mad:

I would be totally supportive of us being in an international league.
It’s completely inevitable as well.
I can see there being about 60 super clubs left in Europe by the end of this decade.
Let’s hope that we are one of them.

I sit up to close to 3am watching Leafs game all the time, the only ones I miss live are the away games in the Western Conference which don’t even start until that time.

Rangers are my primary team but the Leafs are a close second. If the boot was on the other foot and I was in Ontario I’d have 10am starts for 3pm kickoffs but I’d still be watching the games live as much as possible.

Would still have a season ticket and would most likely try and get to the odd away game if were Europe. Further afield would be more difficult.

Travelling from West Mids anywhere would be easy to foloow follow. I wish belgian dutch leagues would join us sheep and jam tarts in a northern Europe League 3 teams from those 3 leagues 3 from Denmark 3 from sweden 3 from Norway 18 teams winners 2nd get CL entry 3-6 EL entry. Leave the scum here. We can but dream but that league coefficient likely to ne much better than the SPFL coefficent. We could leave the reserves in Scotlan. We could call it the International Integrity League

If we moved to a european league but still play home games at Ibrox then of course and i would go to a lot of away games but if they moved lock stock & barrell to say the MLS and built a stadium in the states then i think i would lose interest after a while

If some major European league was to be created the price of travel to away fixtures could be a problem for fans ticket prices are high enough these days for top European sides without adding travel,food and accommodation into the mix

The logistics of it all always look so complicated.

Rangers would still be based at Ibrox and that is where home matches would be played.. so every other week you would have teams & supporters from which we league/country coming to Glasgow and how do you sell that idea to clubs and supporters who are used to traveling maybe a couple of hundred miles at most for a match?

Some kind of international league would require a number of clubs to want it... and you can bet that the very top European clubs from England, Germany, Spain & France aren’t interested in anyone from Scotland joining their party if it did happen.
At the same time, the concept of an Atlantic League with Dutch, Belgian, Swedish etc countries has been poo-hoo’d for decades now.

You’d obviously miss a lot more away games in an attendance way but I’d imagine everyone is capable of setting an alarm to get up and watch us haha

I'd watch Rangers anytime anywhere. It's not a novelty but a way of life and how fortunate to be born into it

Back