Would you take any of the Antwerp players?

I knew Lukaku would get a mention but honestly, he's a bang average footballer that was made to look decent by a centre half playing out of position with little protection in front of him. Borna is twice the player

Ze, every day of the week. Aye he might be a bit, shall we say, eccentric. But we’ve had one or two of them over the years! And this management team would get the get the best out of him, of that I’ve got no doubt

Not every player has to be one you buy with a view to selling on. As for the second point, I thought it was incredibly similar in style and impact to Hagi and that he'd be a great fit for our wide right.

Less to do with selling on and more that a guy turning 35 in around a months time would struggle with the intensity we demand from the front players defensively.

Ze, every day of the week. Aye he might be a bit, shall we say, eccentric. But we’ve had one or two of them over the years! And this management team would get the get the best out of him, of that I’ve got no doubt
Either that or he’d rock up at training in a Tim top and get murdered by Jimmy Bell. It’s a gamble :))

I'd have thought the same thing about Davis in midfield before seeing someone do it so well.

Different roles, an older sitting/defensive midfielder isn't too uncommon.

A 35 year old playing an attacking role in a side that regularly set pressing traps as a collective defensive tactic is generally rare.

I don't see him putting in the shift at the intensity that Kent or Hagi put in tonight and that's a requirement in our set-up.

Over both legs I thought Lukaku played well and caused us problems from the left, was surprised when he was subbed.

Refaelov is a good player but too old for us.
Is his age an issue? He was the one that shone out for me. Our team and philosophy will always require a blend of youth and experience and I think he would be a good addition with his experience in Europe. Plus, it would piss off that other mod as ha is an Israeli.

Is his age an issue? He was the one that shone out for me. Our team and philosophy will always require a blend of youth and experience and I think he would be a good addition with his experience in Europe. Plus, it would piss off that other mod as ha is an Israeli.

For the way we ask our attacking players to press for the team, yes, it is.

He's also a cheating prick. The mhanks will probably buy him
I said that to my pal last week. They will buy that Greg Louganis impersonator.

I wouldn’t buy any of them, none of them stood out against us.

Different roles, an older sitting/defensive midfielder isn't too uncommon.

A 35 year old playing an attacking role in a side that regularly set pressing traps as a collective defensive tactic is generally rare.

I don't see him putting in the shift at the intensity that Kent or Hagi put in tonight and that's a requirement in our set-up.
Agreed but it wouldn't necessarily be a role in the team that dislodges either of them and an additional option as and when necessary in the manner that Wright is at the moment.

Agreed but it wouldn't necessarily being a role in the team that dislodges either of them and an additional option as and when necessary in the manner that Wright is at the moment.

Don't see it happening under Gerrard.

Generally only recruited youthful players for the 10 roles.

For the way we ask our attacking players to press for the team, yes, it is.
I thought that over the 2 legs he was the one that pushed them on and provided their spark. Davis has proved that age is not important if you can perform.

I thought that over the 2 legs he was the one that pushed them on and provided their spark. Davis has proved that age is not important if you can perform.

As said on the thread already.

There's a difference between a 35 year old sitting/defensive midfielder and playing as a 10 in our system where we demand intensity in the pressing traps.

Refaelov was their best player. He'd be too old to play as a 10 in our system at the age of 35 this summer.

As said on the thread already.

There's a difference between a 35 year old sitting/defensive midfielder and playing as a 10 in our system where we demand intensity in the pressing traps.

Refaelov was their best player. He'd be too old to play as a 10 in our system at the age of 35 this summer.
Cant he play DM and provide the same incisive passing that Davis produces at the moment? Just a thought. In addition his delivery from set pieces was of a high standard

I think Lukaku only looked good in the first half because Balogun was struggling at right back, he was quieter in the the second half, also he is a dirty player.
Your right and all 3 of our open play goals came from their LBs side of the park and both penalties were also conceded from that side.

Hongla and the lad sent off in the first game, thought he was pretty unlucky with that but a reasonable defender

none. And I don’t know why lukaku is getting mentioned. He was crap first leg , gave the ball away a lot. Turned Balogun inside out tonight because he had a bit of a nightmare but apart from that I thought lukaku was ordinary.

Back