Would've loved to have been a fly on the wall at training today!

o7o

Each n everyone lambasted.

How do you go from the best footballing team in Scotland to that ?

This been honest the management team should be asked if 1 point out of 6 at Tynecastle is acceptable too they never learned from the draw earlier this season yet again we were out fought and the tactics were the same again against a team at the bottom of the league.

The players will have seen his comments post match. Something tells me that was the first 'coat' for them.

I think he'll be a guy who will say his piece forthrightly and it ends there.

Reactions: o7o
I would be interested to see what happened as well. Not because I'm hoping they got a bollocking, or hoping certain players got picked out or anything like that. Purely to see how it was handled, was the emotion taken out of it. Always love watching behind scenes documentaries in changing rooms, even in other sports like NFL.

I think Gerrard would be measured in his approach. He has talked a lot about as a player he would often self reflect on his performance. He will be asking his players to do that and really think if they have got what it takes to be a winner.

Hope he’ll drop Kamara and Flanagan on Wednesday. Send a massage that those performances won’t be tolerated.
Kamara definitely, but I'm still not too sure what everyone's beef is with Flanagan.

Granted he didn't do much going forward, but that's not why he was selected on Sunday.

I'd still drop him for wednesday, as I don't expect us to have quite as much defending to do, so I would favour a more attacking option. I wouldn't drop him as a punishment though.

In the interview with RTV he talked about him & the players 'getting a few things of their chest' before moving on to Wednesday.

We'll see if there's an improvement on Wednesday

Surely Stevie has a part to play in that he played 3 defensively minded midfielders against their 4?
We lost the midfield battle due to that.

I think a few home truths can be a good thing and coming from someone of the stature of Stevie there will be no grumblings unlike coming from Murty, Pedro or Warburton when senior players may call him out and argue back

Surely Stevie has a part to play in that he played 3 defensively minded midfielders against their 4?
I think he knows that and is man enough to stand up and say right lads you were at fault with the attitude you have shown however I take some of the blame.
Although the team he put out should have been more than capable of beating Hearts if the players showed the correct attitude.

Kamara definitely, but I'm still not too sure what everyone's beef is with Flanagan.

Granted he didn't do much going forward, but that's not why he was selected on Sunday.

I'd still drop him for wednesday, as I don't expect us to have quite as much defending to do, so I would favour a more attacking option. I wouldn't drop him as a punishment though.
That's a different question in itself... Why was he picked the last two games? I don't think we need a defence minded right back in the team against St. Mirren and bottom of the table hearts. Surely as a team at the top end of the table on a good run of form you play young Patterson who is attack minded and show the confidence in our attacking play and in turn ask questions of the opposition? The same applies to using Jack Davis and kamara in these types of games who sit far too deep, get airfield in there and let him burst forward to support defoe who was so isolated at Tynecastle it was unreal

We lost the midfield because our players wanted too much time on the ball and assumed Hearts would be the shambles they have been all season.

With Jack having the calf problem I can't see him dropping Kamara

It's a bit "wholesale changes" but I wouldn't be against Arfield and Edmundson coming in for Kamara and Jack.

Edmundson looked assured in that holding role against Hamilton at home previously and is also a good passer of the ball and Arfield we need for his forward thinking play.

If we weren't playing tomorrow I think they would have been run until they were sick.

I bet the players they where flies on the wall too rather than having Gerrard and his coaching team going Tonto at them

I’m sure I heard him intimate he expected a ‘robust’ discussion - both ways - yesterday and today.

We’ve all seem bad performances in the past but it’s a very rare thing for three quarters of a Rangers team under Gerrard to fail to ‘turn up’. Something was very badly wrong on Sunday. Even players who you can usually rely on to perform just weren’t at the races. And not for the first time at Tynecastle it has to be said.

I don’t think there will be any “hairdryer” treatment, but he knows how to get a reaction and I’m sure we will see com Wednesday night
A reaction that we should have got after stranrar and st Mirren. Instead we went backwards. If he knows how to get a reaction, perhaps he could show it.

Our problem seems to be starting on games on the backfoot. Surely if you are a professional player then you should be self-motivated to start games at a high tempo. It should not take a rocket from the manager at half-time to get you going.

This been honest the management team should be asked if 1 point out of 6 at Tynecastle is acceptable too they never learned from the draw earlier this season yet again we were out fought and the tactics were the same again against a team at the bottom of the league.

That was the most galling aspect of Sunday for me.

To drop a couple of points at Tynecastle is probably expected over the course of a season, but to drop five out of six, especially when they're rock bottom of the table is unacceptable.

We knew how they'd approach the game as they're a limited side so industry and commitment is about the best they can offer, but we should have had too much quality for them had we matched that.

We didn't and got what we deserved.

It can't happen again.

He played our best midfield.
The same midfield that won at the glitter dome?
Until Sunday it was tried n tested and a midfield every single one of us would have chosen.

Yeah but the average football fan has a memory that lasts about 15 minutes so that midfield, which has been excellent all season, is now shit and being questioned after one poor game since September.

Bit of naievity in both camps, some players were strolling it but there didn't seem any instructions to change. Kamara was very poor and should have been subbed before he was robbed of the ball through dithering like fekk again

It's a bit "wholesale changes" but I wouldn't be against Arfield and Edmundson coming in for Kamara and Jack.

Edmundson looked assured in that holding role against Hamilton at home previously and is also a good passer of the ball and Arfield we need for his forward thinking play.
Kamara has been consistently brilliant for us and you want to drop him to play a central defender out of position in his place, because he looked decent for 10 minutes against Hamilton (when we were 5-0 up)
That's bizarre.

Last edited:
i dont understand the way the manager is constantly hammered on here, aye he has to take responsibility for the team but when you look at how poorly we played but still had 3/4 good chances , 2 for defoe and 1 for kent, thats on the players, it was the players who put the gutless performance in.

when you see the performance v celtic and then the drop off in intensity to the hearts and st mirren games the players need to held accountable for that.

hopefully the gaffer is backed for one more attacking player.

Yeah but the average football fan has a memory that lasts about 15 minutes so that midfield, which has been excellent all season, is now shit and being questioned after one poor game since September.
The problem was giving the ball away with bad passes, not just the midfield.

I think that's the issue people are struggling with - how can an entire midfield that has generally been excellent all season all of a sudden collectively switch off?

I think that's the issue people are struggling with - how can an entire midfield that has generally been excellent all season all of a sudden collectively switch off?

Possibly just a bit off it and as soon as bit of weakness in there hearts are all over them. Possibly tactics weren't right either for midfield to produce.

That's a different question in itself... Why was he picked the last two games? I don't think we need a defence minded right back in the team against St. Mirren and bottom of the table hearts. Surely as a team at the top end of the table on a good run of form you play young Patterson who is attack minded and show the confidence in our attacking play and in turn ask questions of the opposition? The same applies to using Jack Davis and kamara in these types of games who sit far too deep, get airfield in there and let him burst forward to support defoe who was so isolated at Tynecastle it was unreal
Because if we still lost Patterson's confidence would've been shattered and could've ruined him as a player and he might feel it was his fault

Flanagan shouldn't have started but Patterson shouldn't have either. We need to bring Patterson on off the bench a few times when we're cruising, build his confidence right up with a few wins and good performances under his belt - and then risk it because a loss won't shatter his confidence completely and Gerrard can say "look at the last 5 times you played, you were brilliant and played a big part in those wins, yes we lost today but it happens and it's a team game your not at fault" - and Patterson would believe it more so than if we lost the first game he started.

I’m not sure the modern day footballer suffers the way we do. Their money is in the bank and if it doesn’t work out they’ll move on. I’m sure the manager will have his say but sadly we’ve been at point of disappointment far too often.

Everyone's beef with Flanagan is that he is quite crap.

It is pretty clear as to why. He should not be near the team.

Because if we still lost Patterson's confidence would've been shattered and could've ruined him as a player and he might feel it was his fault

Flanagan shouldn't have started but Patterson shouldn't have either. We need to bring Patterson on off the bench a few times when we're cruising, build his confidence right up with a few wins and good performances under his belt - and then risk it because a loss won't shatter his confidence completely and Gerrard can say "look at the last 5 times you played, you were brilliant and played a big part in those wins, yes we lost today but it happens and it's a team game your not at fault" - and Patterson would believe it more so than if we lost the first game he started.
He started against stranraer and was man of the match, should have kept his place for St. Mirren....what does dropping him do for his confidence when he played well?

Kamara has been consistently brilliant for us and you wont to drop him to play a central defender out of position in his place, because he looked decent for 10 minutes against Hamilton (when we were 5-0 up)
That's bizarre.
Kamara sure wasnt his finest hour on sunday culnimating in a horror mistake but I'm sure I read on here start the bidding at 10 million by quite a few when it was reported that other teams may be about to put a bid in for him. FF at it's best!

He started against stranraer and was man of the match, should have kept his place for St. Mirren....what does dropping him do for his confidence when he played well?
I agree he should have started Vs st mirren, completely different ballgame when your at home against shite.

But I don't think hearts at tynecastle was the right place to start him

Hope he’ll drop Kamara and Flanagan on Wednesday. Send a massage that those performances won’t be tolerated.
You could probably add another 3 to that list but we can’t drop everyone. A bad day at the office all round. Hopefully a few days intense training and we’ll be ready to go again.

Our 3 midfielders not performing at the same time is unusual, if 1 is off the others can usually cover and gee him up, but for all 3 to have an off day at the same time cost us and unnerved the whole team.

we don’t seem to have a plan B for when the going gets tough.
people criticised Warburton enough for it.

Hopefully had words with himself first, then the players.

We've one set up, when a regular is out we don't change the set up or shape and expect a completely different style of player to offer in the same way that a Tavernier or Morelos would.
Yep.Flannigan can’t play the same as Tav and Defoe can’t do what Morelos does.

Back