Xabi Alonso makes emphatic Rangers silverware claim as he details Steven Gerrard's drive for success.

George Goudie

Official Ticketer
The Spaniard insists the Light Blues are fortunate to have his former Liverpool midfield partner at the Ibrox helm.

Xabi Alonso felt fortunate to have Steven Gerrard as a midfield partner and insists the Rangers players should count themselves lucky to have him as their boss.

And the Spaniard is adamant silverware is “just around the corner” at Ibrox with his friend and former Liverpool team-mate at the helm.

The Light Blues went into the international break two points clear of Celtic at the Premiership summit after taking maximum points from their four league games following last month’s Old Firm defeat.

Gerrard’s side also booked a Betfred Cup semi-final showdown with Hearts at Hampden in November as the Anfield
icon looks to reach his first final in his second season in charge of Gers.

And former Real Madrid and Bayern Munich star Alonso said: “He was such a humble guy, such a friendly guy, you could rely on him on and off the pitch – and the Rangers players are fortunate to have that.

“He is interested in making the people he works with better players and if they want to improve there is nobody better to learn from.

“I am sure trophies are just around the corner for Rangers now Stevie is there. I am sure he is going to achieve special things at Rangers.

“Stevie was not a normal player and he will not be a normal coach. He is a winner and will be a winner as a coach.

There was not a player he didn’t help at Liverpool. Not just in the first team but the youngsters as well. For such a big talent nothing was beneath him and I know he will still be that way as a coach.

“He wants to teach, he is always there to have an honest conversation, that is why Rangers will continue to improve under his guidance.”

The Rangers boss is set to pull on the boots at Ibrox for the first time in a glamour Legends friendly on Saturday to give fans a reminder of the quality Alonso says made Gerrard the best midfielder in the world at one time.

And the feeling is clearly mutual with Gerrard previously having said: “Xabi was certainly up there but not just with the players I played with, he is up there with the world’s best.

“Xabi is a world-class player and also a top-class human being. I miss being around Xabi on a daily basis, I used to love working and playing alongside him.”

The pair’s finest hour together came on that unforgettable night in Istanbul’s Ataturk Stadium when Gerrard started and Alonso finished the astonishing three-goal comeback against AC Milan inside seven second-half minutes.

Alonso’s goal came when he followed up to net the rebound after Dida saved his spot-kick effort with what was, incredibly, the Spaniard’s first penalty kick in professional football.

(Image: Rangers FC/Press Association Images)

Vladimir Smicer’s goal was sandwiched in between those strikes and Alonso said of Gerrard: “He was the best midfield player in the world and a Liverpool legend but he had everybody’s respect because he was such a nice, humble guy.

“He was one of the best midfield players of the generation, the most influential player in my career.”

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp said in an interview recently Gerrard is the man he wants to replace him at Anfield when the German eventually moves on.

The Gers boss admitted it would be his dream job after earning legendary status at the club where he spent 17 years and played more than 700 games.

Alonso admitted he tipped Gerrard to become Liverpool manager one day after he left the Reds and stands by that now he’s taken his first steps into management.

But Gerrard is desperate for Klopp to stick around Merseyside and Alonso is confident the former Borussia Dortmund boss will follow up last season’s Champions League win by ending Liverpool’s 30-year wait to be crowned kings of England.

Alonso said: “Stevie is doing a great job at Rangers and Jurgen is doing a great job at Liverpool.

Long may they both continue I say.

No Surrender.

typing-america-boner-into-google-image-search-does-not-fail-to-impress-69337.gif

Alonso admitted he tipped Gerrard to become Liverpool manager one day after he left the Reds and stands by that now he’s taken his first steps into management.

But Gerrard is desperate for Klopp to stick around Merseyside and Alonso is confident the former Borussia Dortmund boss will follow up last season’s Champions League win by ending Liverpool’s 30-year wait to be crowned kings of England.

Alonso said: “Stevie is doing a great job at Rangers and Jurgen is doing a great job at Liverpool.

Long may they both continue I say.

No Surrender.
I hope he gets the Liverpool job means he’s been a success

Gerrard feels just as strongly about Alonso.

Sure there’s a story in Peter Crouch’s(?) book where Gerrard takes one look at the teamsheet to see Alonsos name isn’t there and storms out straight to Benitez’ office for a “quiet chat” :D

Honestly, Zidane has got some big boots to fill when we announce him as our next boss when SG does eventually go.

Back