Yesteryear

billyblue7425

Whilst walking past an army barracks where I am based. I heard a soldier trying to play the bugle. By the sounds of it, it immediately reminded me of the Rag and Bone man from when I was growing up in Easterhouse in the early 80s.

That got me thinking of other childhood things that I used to see on a regular basis and wonder if it still goes on in the schemes/housing estates or has it vanished like everything else. These were as follows:

Candy apple man
Whelks and Mussles man
The Alpine van

Disclaimer for the above men, I never seen women sell any of above before I get called a sexist.

And finally youngsters playing mooshie (sp). Game with 3 holes and you used to toss a coins in a particular sequence, before you knocked the other person out, by hitting their coin.

Was the above just a Glaswegian thing or did it also happen in other parts of Scotland?

Is there anything else that brings back memories when someone mentions it and you haven't seen for a while?

Whilst walking past an army barracks where I am based. I heard a soldier trying to play the bugle. By the sounds of it, it immediately reminded me of the Rag and Bone man from when I was growing up in Easterhouse in the early 80s.

That got me thinking of other childhood things that I used to see on a regular basis and wonder if it still goes on in the schemes/housing estates or has it vanished like everything else. These were as follows:

Candy apple man
Whelks and Mussles man
The Alpine van

Disclaimer for the above men, I never seen women sell any of above before I get called a sexist.

And finally youngsters playing mooshie (sp). Game with 3 holes and you used to toss a coins in a particular sequence, before you knocked the other person out, by hitting their coin.

Was the above just a Glaswegian thing or did it also happen in other parts of Scotland?

Is there anything else that brings back memories when someone mentions it and you haven't seen for a while?

First time I have heard anybody mention the game of "moshie"(not 'mooshie') in over 40 years. It was a very popular street gambling game in the old districts of Glasgow. Some of my earliest childhood memories of the 1950's are of standing watching the older guys playing it. It was played with old penny coins and involved lobbing or sliding them into the said 3 holes and once you were "smout" ie, been up and back down the track, (unless you were qualified to be smout after the third moshe) you could then win your opponents coin by striking it with yours. I think the game died out long ago but it's good to see that somebody else still remembers it.

Last edited:
Onion johnny, we used to have one of those, always wondered how he made a living selling onions.

Back