Yilmaz interview

I thought he couldn’t speak English or at least that’s what was initially thought?
I think there were rumours on here/Twitter that the club hadn't done very much do help him settle, like having someone teach him English. That then started rumours of him going back to Turkey.

I think there were rumours on here/Twitter that the club hadn't done very much do help him settle, like having someone teach him English. That then started rumours of him going back to Turkey.

There was a belief that Hagi was meant to be staying in Glasgow during his final rehab phase and help him settle as Hagi was born and raised in Istanbul but that was bullshit along with the he couldn’t speak English as Gio debunked that very early.

Felt a wee bit sorry for him after watching that. Especially the bit about him saying I will get better, I just need time

No chance he is starting in front of Barrasic this season.only chance of that is if Barrasic leaves in the summer.

Young man, leaves his family and home for a new language and culture and gets a bad injury. That must really take its toll. But he has all the tools to come good. Here's hoping he can be the future.

He’s been hammering the lessons and the staff in the first team have all been helping him during his rehab. He’s a cracking wee lad.
Fair play to him with learning the language so quickly. Shows a real desire to do so

Maybe he won’t return to Turkey quickly after all. I’ll be honest and say I expected him to be back home in the summer tbh due to the reported language barrier and weather over here.

With the outlay we need to stick with him if he’s keen to stay.

There is absolutely nothing in the rumours originating in Turkey about him going back.

Beale keeps saying how excited he is to be working with him and how he is part of our future.

Why people are choosing to believe the Turkish media - who have had Hagi going to Galatasaray every single window since he signed in 2019 - over our manager is very weird.

It’s already been rubbished too by @David Edgar

There is absolutely nothing in the rumours originating in Turkey about him going back.

Beale keeps saying how excited he is to be working with him and how he is part of our future.

Why people are choosing to believe the Turkish media - who have had Hagi going to Galatasaray every single window since he signed in 2019 - over our manager is very weird.

It’s already been rubbished too by @David Edgar

It’s a credibility thing too. Wilson, Robertson and Bennet all used the same line ‘we signed him for five years not five months’.

So if they then punt him in summer at a loss, they can’t really expect anything other than derision.

At Motherwell game on Saturday u could see they were trying to target him with long diagonal balls. Thought he dealt with them really well.

For being small he has a good spring and won most of the headers he challenged for.

Thought initially at the game he was at fault for 1st goal but seeing highlights, he stepped up and played Motherwell player offside. Unfortunately CG didn’t step up as well.

From little I have saw of him he looks to have good pace , passing is decent and wants to get forward . His crossing could be better but it’s early days .

Wait till he has pre season and has played 10-15 games next season b4 we can fully judge him imo.

At Motherwell game on Saturday u could see they were trying to target him with long diagonal balls. Thought he dealt with them really well.

For being small he has a good spring and won most of the headers he challenged for.

Thought initially at the game he was at fault for 1st goal but seeing highlights, he stepped up and played Motherwell player offside. Unfortunately CG didn’t step up as well.

From little I have saw of him he looks to have good pace , passing is decent and wants to get forward . His crossing could be better but it’s early days .

Wait till he has pre season and has played 10-15 games next season b4 we can fully judge him imo.
Exactly.

He’s been hammering the lessons and the staff in the first team have all been helping him during his rehab. He’s a cracking wee lad.

He mentions his physio helping him everyday. Its great to hear that the team have helped him. Maybe in about 10 years he will understand Greegsy!!

Yes, I seem to remember when he signed reading somewhere he would use a lot of his non-footballing time to learn English. He's had a lot of that sort of time unwanted though it was and he hasn't half put it to good use.

Impressive individual so let's hope he can also be that on the pitch in due course.

It’s a credibility thing too. Wilson, Robertson and Bennet all used the same line ‘we signed him for five years not five months’.

So if they then punt him in summer at a loss, they can’t really expect anything other than derision.
They need to take away the emotion and ego, if we can get that money back it must surely be jumped upon. Utterly bizarre signing.

I thought he couldn’t speak English or at least that’s what was initially thought?
He could only speak very basic English but ironically the time off with injury seems to have helped him hammer the learning of it as he’s had to use it every day. A good attitude helps with that also. He’s very well liked in and around the training ground.

I think we just go with him now.

If he’s to stay then for that investment he has to play.

I don’t think anyone wants to see more Barisic old firm performances anyway.

Beale will play the best man for the job and what a previous manager spent on a player won't alter that. Borna's been in good form and Beale has recently said he's been one of the most consistent performers during his time as manager.

Beale will play the best man for the job and what a previous manager spent on a player won't alter that. Borna's been in good form and Beale has recently said he's been one of the most consistent performers during his time as manager.
If he keeps playing him v Celtic he’ll keep being at fault for goals against them.

That's letting him off the hook mate.

He's been living in Scotland for 6 years. I've heard him speaking English myself. He could easily conduct an interview or speak to the fans via the club platforms etc.

Unlike plenty other foreign players who have made the effort over the years, Morelos chooses not to engage. That's been very disappointing, to say the least, particularly after the adulation he has received since he came here.

So that's why I respect Yilmaz in this instance.
He has done. And it’s not really disappointing is it?

Given the shit he gets from the Scottish media can you imagine the spin that would come out from one if any single bit was said the wrong way.

In 6 years it has been absolutely minimal.
It literally means nothing but unless your looking for something to have digs at him.

Yilmaz could be more comfortable speaking publicly, given he speaks it so well I’d imagine that’s true. Listen to any Morelos interview and you’ll see he’s not comfortable.

Fair play to him for him giving an interview in English.

Morelos, despite him trying to fool us otherwise, can speak sufficient English, yet makes no attempt to speak to the fans.
Morelos can speak English but I can understand why players do not want the hassle of giving interviews.
Some of the questions are just the same ones asked in a different way or to trip up players for a headline.

Our scouting instructions must be "right find me a Turkish guy, but make sure he doesn't actually look Turkish".

"I've got this other guy as well, he looks brilliant and I think we could get him on the cheap!".

Does he look Turkish?

"Well, yeah, I suppose he does yeah",

Not interested.
Perhaps his Great Great Great Grandad was a Janniserie? ;)

Or he isn’t comfortable with speaking English in public interviews?
I sometimes think we forget that alfie didn’t get much in the way of an education as a kid he had to help his family survive by selling fruit on the street,rather than attend school.learning a new language for him would be a massive challenge and as you suggested more comfortable speaking English to his teammates,rather than doing public interviews.

Back