Yilmaz

He looks a bit 'smaller' because he's essentially a skinny wee boy at the moment. Somewhat akin to Stephen Kelly that way. I'm sure he'll fill out as such.

I haven't seen anything of him yet to know how he'll do here, but I was enthused by the reports and analysis so many strong sources provided.

A diet of pickled onion monster munch and Strawberry Yazoo will sort that right out.

He looks a bit 'smaller' because he's essentially a skinny wee boy at the moment. Somewhat akin to Stephen Kelly that way. I'm sure he'll fill out as such.

I haven't seen anything of him yet to know how he'll do here, but I was enthused by the reports and analysis so many strong sources provided
He’s actually quite stocky he looks 5’6 to me at best but maybe I’m wrong.

I think we were all enthused at the reports and it was the gap between the level he played at last season and what we saw in that first game that surprised quite a few of us.

I wouldn’t think he would start tomorrow but who knows

Think I have to agree with the latter. Usual FF though.

I don’t know how you can say Barisic has been inconsistent. He’s playing out his skin just now.

All about opinions. I think even during games he can shrink to nothing and pass backwards for the rest of the game.

When do we think we will see Yilmaz get his chance again? Barasic has come onto a game recently but surely we can't have our most expensive summer signing sitting on the bench for too long

Dont think next week is the time for it but hoping domestically he can get some game time.
Borna has come on to a game as such should keep his place regardless of another players signature fee! Has to Biden his time as you do and take your chance when it comes!

Probably thought Souttar was that player? We have been a bit unfortunate that 3 of our players in there were not available for one reason or another.
An injury prone CB from Hearts and a guy from Liverpool reserves thats hardly played a game in the last 12 months who wasnt fit when he arrived? It's hardly a shock

I haven't seen anything of him yet to know how he'll do here, but I was enthused by the reports and analysis so many strong sources provided.

On a more serious note I remember meeting Fernando Ricksen and being surprised at how slight he was considering he was fucking brilliant at throwing what little weight he had around.

Borna has come on to a game as such should keep his place regardless of another players signature fee! Has to Biden his time as you do and take your chance when it comes!
What if Yilmaz Trumps him in training though?

I think we will gamble a little with Hibs at the weekend and rest a few of the guaranteed midweek Starters.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Yilmaz start as we will need Borna for certain a midweek. Alfie I would also imagine will play most of the game.

I think we were all enthused at the reports and it was the gap between the level he played at last season and what we saw in that first game that surprised quite a few of us.

Surprised doesn't cover it, I was shocked, no less...

He came from an undoubtedly tough league, he looked skilful and robust in his YT video (I know, I know) & all the chat before he signed was "Champions League experience" etc, so at £4m+ I cannot believe he wasn't expected to go straight into the team at LB & stay there, so why hasn't he...?

I'm not really buying the reported rebirth of Borna, IMO he's been a bit better than last season, but not by much.

An injury prone CB from Hearts and a guy from Liverpool reserves thats hardly played a game in the last 12 months who wasnt fit when he arrived? It's hardly a shock
I think you've over-egged it a bit there mate. Davies started, and completed 90 minutes, in 21 games for Sheffield United last season. Fair to say he was in and out their team, that was about half the matches after he joined them. Not sure that qualifies as 'hardly played a game' to be honest.

If Yilmaz is to get the start at the DhimDome then he will need to start at least three games before then I’d suggest. I don’t see that happening. Saturday will give us a better idea.
Normally I'd agree but Gio doesn't (didn't) think like that.

See Diallo starting there last season. Maybe that's taught Gio you can't just throw players into the most hostile atmosphere they'll ever play in in their career, but it's not impossible Yilmaz gets thrown in.

Fwiw I wouldn't play Borna against them. I don't think he can handle the hostility that well tbh. He's a confidence player and I feel like it's easy to zap the confidence out of him in games like that.

He came from an undoubtedly tough league, he looked skilful and robust in his YT video (I know, I know) & all the chat before he signed was "Champions League experience" etc, so at £4m+ I cannot believe he wasn't expected to go straight into the team at LB & stay there, so why hasn't he...?

I'm not really buying the reported rebirth of Borna, IMO he's been a bit better than last season, but not by much.
Yilmaz, put simply, wasn't fit enough. There was an incident in the Killie game where the ball was played in behind their defence. It was a 50/50 between Yilmaz and the defender. Yilmaz chased and then pulled out of the race. It was right in front of me in the Govan Stand. He didn't pull up but it was clear he was fearful of his hamstring going. He was subbed off shortly after.

No idea how far into their pre-season his former club were (they were on training camp in Spain I think) but he hadn't played a competitive match for them this season before joining us. I believe he got 45 minutes against Huddersfield Town yesterday. I don't see him starting for us until, at the earliest, Ross County.

why hasnt he? Because hes a 21 year old lad, who has moved away from home for the first time, I dont think speaks a lot of english, has moved to a new club with new systems, moved to a club with monumental expectations.

and hes been here for not much more than 6 weeks!

An initial fee of £3.4 million that will rise if he's a success is not a 'stunning anount' in the real world, let him settle.
Quotes of £4.5 million and above have been reported about the fee.
For Rangers to pay that amount for a left back is stunning not the football world in general.

Yilmaz hadn’t played a single pre season match, he was kept out of them as he was initially going to sign for Eintracht Frankfurt and then eventually us.

We tried putting him in to what would be viewed as an easier home tie and it was clear he wasn’t match sharp.

Its no big drama, he’s here for a long time.

For Rangers to pay that amount for a left back is stunning not the football world in general.

Besiktas confirmed the fee themselves, €4 million initially going up if and when he’s a success.

Its not stunning when we’ve sold players for around £40 million recently.

Besiktas confirmed the fee themselves, €4 million initially going up if and when he’s a success.

Its not stunning when we’ve sold players for around £40 million recently.
You really are hard work.
I would agree with you if we were buying players for £40 million.

Don't know why some posters on this thread bother following the team. Player makes debut and isn't fit, they declare he's got nothing to offer. Player needs games to settle in the team, they don't want that because "gives me the fear." Then they jump to ridiculous conclusions about player's height, build etc. Then they complain about why he's not ready, player with his price tag should be straight into the team etc.

When he grows about 4 inches so he isn’t a target for every team in the league to hit diagonals onto? B-D

Physically, I dont understand the signing at all. Went from Man Mountain Bassey to a member of the Fellowship of the Ring.
He’s 5ft 11, hardly a dwarf.

I read that while eating pickled onion monster munch and drinking a strawberry volvic.
Close enough for me to look out the back window of my car to see if you were looking in

It is me mate. Just poor at getting my Yazoo‘s mixed up with my Volvic’s as my Mrs would testify.

His defensive stats for Besiktas were reasonably good also not bad in the air by all accounts.
Think what we're hoping is he can link with Kent as an attacking full back. I watched his aerial skills in first warm up and really hoping we cover for that in our defensive set up as it's not his string point from admittedly a brief observation. Not worried about his pace as he's shown plenty of that and he's a great Jeff goot and plays good line splitting balls but he's an obvious aerial target. The main concern there is our CHs aren't always the best in the air at corners so how we adapt is tricky. Def needs some physical strengthening.

On a more serious note I remember meeting Fernando Ricksen and being surprised at how slight he was considering he was fucking brilliant at throwing what little weight he had around.
You’d be surprised at how slender most elite athletes are. I have a ton of friends that fight in the UFC and honestly, you would have absolutely no clue that they were complete wrecking machines on a professional basis.

We paid that for a player 30 odd years ago (big Dunc)

Anyway, what if Barisic is better than him?

You’d be surprised at how slender most elite athletes are. I have a ton of friends that fight in the UFC and honestly, you would have absolutely no clue that they were complete wrecking machines on a professional basis.

My mates wee brother was the feather weight Scottish Amateur boxing champion when we were growing up, you would have thought you could snap him by looking at him, I seen him punch a guy about 5 times his size and knock him clean out, I swear his feet came about 4 inches off the pavement on his way down!

He's definitely not 5,6. Seen him up close and same height if not slightly taller than me and I'm 5,9

i thought he was good first half and poor second, i wouldnt be playing him away at psv if at all possible.
Don't want to be negative but I think you are right tbh.

It's always just around the corner with him. Plays well then is absolutely shocking out of nowhere.

I don’t think lack of match fitness addresses the issues with pace and physicality.
It’s possible he just found it too much on the day and froze and just got lost in the game.
The fact he’s not featured since isn’t encouraging.

Plus £3.5 M is a big fee for us -with the issues with BB I’m not buying he was bought as a long term project.

The good news is I think BB has improved and I’ve not been his biggest fan in recent months.

I don’t think lack of match fitness addresses the issues with pace and physicality.
It’s possible he just found it too much on the day and froze and just got lost in the game.

Plus £3.5 M is a big fee for us -with the issues with BB I’m not buying he was bought as a long term project.

The good news is I think BB has improved and I’ve not been his biggest fan in recent months.
I think Gio was wanting Davies & Barisic to play together on the left side of defence on Tuesday hence the selection last Saturday. Davies then picked up a knock.

I think Ridvan will play at Easter Road & Barisic will play in Eindhoven.

He doesn't have issues with pace. Have you seen his videos on YouTube?

The forum becomes an utter cringefest when certain posters bang on about the lack of height in a wingback.

They are stuck in the 80's while the footballing world evolved.

Stocky? He couldn’t be further from the definition of stocky

It's not as though hes been picked up from obscurity, he has had loads of clubs scouting him, he was on the verge of signing for Frankfurt, he has loads of top team games in a very competitive league and is a full internationalist.

I'm sure he'll cope, people are making a mountain out of a molehill here as is the FF way!

Too true.

I reckon your average drunk Glaswegian would take one look at Paddy Pimblett if they didn’t know who he was and think “I’m having him….”

Back