You’re The Manager

Camby loyalist

Before anybody starts this is not a bash Gio thread far from it, but if you were the manager how would you have us play? How would you set up?

To me i feel we are still a bit too cautious and i have noticed this since Gio came in, keep the zero and all that! I feel we should be far more attacking i think we can see with Borna especially his main attribute is attacking same with Tav i would have kept the same tactics with them bombing up the wings but each to their own!

Thoughts?

Before anybody starts this is not a bash Gio thread far from it, but if you were the manager how would you have us play? How would you set up?

To me i feel we are still a bit too cautious and i have noticed this since Gio came in, keep the zero and all that! I feel we should be far more attacking i think we can see with Borna especially his main attribute is attacking same with Tav i would have kept the same tactics with them bombing up the wings but each to their own!

Thoughts?
The system we have played the last two games is exactly what I believe Gio will now stick with.

The ultra caution has been ditched in those 2 games and we have played some exhilarating football and scored 7 goals while keeping the zero.

More of the same Gio please.

Thoughts?
My thoughts are - if this thread was started before last Sunday it would have been understandable.

But after the last two games? Na.

Whatever has happened to Borna it’s not solely down to tactics that’s for sure .

I was discussing this with one of the dads at the school today and he pointed out that with Bassey at lcb, Borna hasn’t played well.

He questioned if he was having to sacrifice some of his game to help protect Bassey or was the lack of a leader beside him in Balogun and Helander was affecting him.

Under Gerrard we use to defend with the midfield three shifts over and one would go to help out on the wings.

Under Gio the fullbacks don’t get as much protection which leaves Barsic more isolated which I feel you see his vulnerability’s more

Think there is too much being made of the 'keep the zero' comment.

Think some people are also forgetting we were going a goal down just about every game before we started to play. Under those circumstances GVB and his backroom team had very little option but to tighten our style of play / team set up right up.

I wouldn't be changing back just to accommodate BB. He is a pro andi like him but if he, or anyone else, can't handle their match day instructions and role being tweaked on any given day then they are of very little use to us.

Quite happy for now to let GVB carry on planning match tactics exactly however sees fit.

Thoughts?
Gerrard was chucking every team a one goal start.

GvB identified this and executed it immediately.

We're not perfect but he's made a very positive start.

Thoughts?
Nearly half (5) of our last 11 League goals have either been scored or assisted by Tav and Borna mate. They are more 'restrained', I agree, but this head of steam that's built up suggesting they are anchored in their own half is a nonsense. You could also throw into the mix that Bassey's pass for Kent to setup Morelos for the first against Hearts was the important part of the move as well, though not directly an assist.

Borna assist for Arfield v Livi plus cross that led to the scramble that resulted in Goldson goal at Ross County. Tav goals against Ross County and Hibs plus assist v Hibs.

I would like to say that I would go ultra-offensive with like a 4-2-4 but, in reality, I would probably shite the bed with a 7-3-0

Quite simply we should be looking to continuously attack against every single team aside from Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and the scum where we need to be a little more pragmatic.

Next week at Tannadyce we should be looking to Mount wave after wave of attack regardless of how Dundee Utd are playing. The away fixture to them earlier this season was pathetic, we barely created a chance. That has to change. The scum were 0-3 up against them in the first half. We have the players to do the same.

Gio has stumbled on a team with great shape and balance since the Hearts game and he should stick largely to that team from now on. There are some like-for-like alterations he can make, like Davis instead of Lundstram and Sakala/Diallo instead of Kent.

It speak volumes that Postecoglou has come in and totally ended their away day struggles by simply setting up to mount non stop attacks especially in the first half. When you subject the diddy teams to aggressive attacking play they will not be able to cope. A more tacit approach inevitably leads to the opposition somehow scoring anyway.

Assuming no injuries:

rangers-selector-2021-23ab6d44aac9a9db370cc5342555dc89.jpg

Assuming no injuries:

rangers-selector-2021-23ab6d44aac9a9db370cc5342555dc89.jpg
Strong case for all of them - except Diallo in my view. Needs to show much, much more of a team ethic and a lot more effort. Been good for 20 minutes out of 100 and looked like a wee boy lost for the remainder. Great talent and skill - but needs the application. His price tag means nothing. We know what Ramsey can do, but time for him to deliver also. 60-90 minutes tomorrow will help.

Whatever has happened to Borna it’s not solely down to tactics that’s for sure .
He’s being asked to defend more and he’s not great at defending before we got away with it because he went forward and put in good crosses. Now he’s not attacking as much and with Kent. Staying wide he’s getting forced to go 1 on 1 against other teams right winger/midfielder

Formation is correct, full backs should should overlap more though. Getting the ball forward faster which has happened the past 2 matches.

A slow build up of attack had come over from Gerrard to Gio. Now it seems like we will counter effectively and not counter, brick it and let opposition position themselves.

Mcgregor

tav goldson balogon/helander bassey

jack Ramsey kamara

roofe Morelos Kent

Neither anywhere near good enough, especially Roofe who has been a passenger all season. No idea why anyone would start him in this current team.

To answer the OP, we should be going at teams all guns blazing and killing games in the first half. With our squad (probably the strongest it's been in 10-15 years) there's no reason not to be an attacking force.

He’s clearly learning a lot about his team as he goes along, at times it has been negative and up until the Hearts game we had been very poor since the break but he is starting to get an idea of what tactics work in our league and what players he can rely on.

It is encouraging that he made the changes needed and got a response from the players but now we have to maintain those standards. There is no margin for error

If it were then he would have been performing in Gerrard's set up, he's been poor all season. Hopefully the big man finds his confidence and form again soon. I'd start him against Annan with the hope it let's him rebuild his confidence.

Gerrard was chucking every team a one goal start.

GvB identified this and executed it immediately.

We're not perfect but he's made a very positive start.
I do feel that Gio has had a decent start but that was masked with some results rather than performances, i just feel the team need a bit more freedom in attack.

Fully fit right now I’d go with:

McGregor

Tav Goldson Helander Bassey

Jack Lundstrum

Aribo Ramsey Kent

Morelos

Think it has more balance than Kamara and Borna. Airfield unlucky not to be in that team.

All things being equal and everyone fit - and in anticipation of flak, read the thread title - I would like to see something like:

……………..McGregor………..……
….Goldson…Helander…Bassey….
Tavernier…Jack…Kamara…Kent…
………..…Aribo……Ramsey………
……………….Morelos……………..

Thoughts?

Or you could look at it prior to Gio we were shipping goal starts to nearly everyone. That’s stopped bar v Celtic.

We’ve had a few below par games but the one that stuffed us was Ross co performance (as shot as it is Celtic will beat us at times)

I think our shape off the ball requires the work. Also think we could be better at playing out from the back. Should also reduce the amount of 1vs1 opportunities teams are getting vs our fullbacks.

That being said, the previous two matches have me more optimistic than I’ve been at any point under Gio.

I honestly think there's something mentally up with Borna at the moment, he looks a shell of what he was like, even 8-10 months ago when he'd be bombing up the left, banging in free kicks and even celebrating with the team, he's doing none of those things now.

Problem with Borna is he’s been asked to defend more, which is an issue for him as it’s a weakness (bookings and corners conceded alone back this up) but he’s nowhere near as confident going forward either at the moment - whether it’s confidence or not who knows but shouldn’t be starting any games until it’s rectified.

Would love to see Sakala getting an extended run of games. His scoring record is up there in terms of goals:minutes ratio.

You can't drop Arfield, not only on current form, but form since Gio arrived.

Nearly put him in but took the OP's question to mean our strongest team on paper.

Can't disagree that Arfield walks into the team at the moment.

As for Jack, I just don't think we need more than one holding-type midfielder (in the centre of a three), and I'd personally prefer a more technically gifted player like Kamara to perform that role.

That said, the need for a bit more 'bite' in the middle was illustrated by the OF defeat, in which Jack certainly improved us when he came on (albeit Celtic were just seeing out the game by that point).

I'm probably basing my eleven on the need to break down stubborn defences - as that's that's what our success depends on in ten out of eleven games in the league.

Against Annan I would play a 1-3-2-4 formation :))

McGregor
Goldson
Kamara - Jack - Lundstarm
Ramsey - Aribo
Diallo - Moreos - Sakala - Kent

Nearly put him in but took the OP's question to mean our strongest team on paper.

Can't disagree that Arfield walks into the team at the moment.

As for Jack, I just don't think we need more than one holding-type midfielder (in the centre of a three), and I'd personally prefer a more technically gifted player like Kamara to perform that role.

That said, the need for a bit more 'bite' in the middle was illustrated by the OF defeat, in which Jack certainly improved us when he came on (albeit Celtic were just seeing out the game by that point).

I'm probably basing my eleven on the need to break down stubborn defences - as that's that's what our success depends on in ten out of eleven games in the league.
Kamara is definitely more technically gifted than Jack, but Jack is in the team all day long for me. He's safer in possession and makes better angles for himself off the ball to receive the ball from his teammates than Kamara does. More of an influential/captain type of player than Kamara also. Just my opinion.

Not seen enough of Amad to state he should be in the side ahead of Arfield.

All about opinions.

Fully fit right now I’d go with:

McGregor

Tav Goldson Helander Bassey

Jack Lundstrum

Aribo Ramsey Kent

Morelos

Think it has more balance than Kamara and Borna. Airfield unlucky not to be in that team.
Probably do the same but Shagger is worrying me sticking to his goal line,every corner or cross ball puts us under pressure as he will not rise for a ball.

Probably do the same but Shagger is worrying me sticking to his goal line,every corner or cross ball puts us under pressure as he will not rise for a ball.
He has always done that mate, he’s never came for crosses on of my biggest fears with him. Shot stopping there is nobody better but crosses and his distribution are honking.

Kamara is definitely more technically gifted than Jack, but Jack is in the team all day long for me. He's safer in possession and makes better angles for himself off the ball to receive the ball from his teammates than Kamara does. More of an influential/captain type of player than Kamara also. Just my opinion.

Not seen enough of Amad to state he should be in the side ahead of Arfield.

All about opinions.

Agree that Kamara is technically better but I think in our league a lot of games are won on blood and guts so to speak. Jack and Lundstram offer that far more than Kamara does. Horses for courses right enough but there are definitely some games where they physical battle is more important.

Agree that Kamara is technically better but I think in our league a lot of games are won on blood and guts so to speak. Jack and Lundstram offer that far more than Kamara does. Horses for courses right enough but there are definitely some games where they physical battle is more important.
I don't disagree with you and yet teams from our league go into Europe and get their erses handed to them every single year by teams that are just technically better.

How is it possible? And how can't we build a team that is so technically superior that all the blood and guts in the world can't touch us?

I think Gio has our two CMs playing as box to box midfielders which isn't always their strength, and restricts the attacking full backs.

With this current squad, I'd have two midfielders covering for the full backs and let both full backs attack instead. Let's be honest, Tavernier is a better attacker than the likes of Kamara or Jack, and contributes far more goals and assists in the final third. Borna crossing to Tavernier used to be such a weapon for us that we no longer use.

I don't disagree with you and yet teams from our league go into Europe and get their erses handed to them every single year by teams that are just technically better.

How is it possible? And how can't we build a team that is so technically superior that all the blood and guts in the world can't touch us?

The system we have played the last two games is exactly what I believe Gio will now stick with.

The ultra caution has been ditched in those 2 games and we have played some exhilarating football and scored 7 goals while keeping the zero.

More of the same Gio please.
Exactly this, keep up that style of football and we win the league.

I agree and that's exactly the point I'm making in reply to the post I'm replying to.

Back