Young boys team tonight

Followbear93

Looks liked they’ve improved enormously from our time against them. Tav had a few howlers and If that hadn’t of happened we’d have deservedly won.
4 players played tonight against Manu that played against us.

could we cope with that level or is it a step too far right now? They looked like a great attacking team to watch, sure was against 10 men most games but even so they looked good before hand.

thoights?

Not really an indication they can compete at that level after one game.

Group stages are no stranger to freak results, as both Bate Borisov and APOEL Nicosia are testament to.

We were nowhere near our ability in the qualifying games.

Take our form at the start of last season into those matches and we'd have pissed it into the groups.

To compete there we do need a couple of quality midfielders.

Take our form at the start of last season into those matches and we'd have pissed it into the groups.

Next season when we get guaranteed CL groups we'll get some big players in I reckon. Was always a risky bet to spend millions on a player and risk end up not getting european football at all especially with no players sold and of course coming off covid season

I thought Man U were a bunch of cheating diving bar-stewards for a spell in that game - by the way

I didn't think they deserved anything other than a defeat
Despite the opinions of the commentators & studio pundits - who obviously think it's the god given right of all English sides to win away in Europe

Next season when we get guaranteed CL groups we'll get some big players in I reckon. Was always a risky bet to spend millions on a player and risk end up not getting european football at all especially with no players sold and of course coming off covid season
Just for the avoidance of doubt, we aren’t guaranteed CL if we win the league.

I think we need to push for that in the next window. Make sure of the league and get new players settled.

Helped they played against ten men I guess. We are nowhere near Champions League level.
Serious question, do you think that Sheriff Tiraspol, Besiktas, even Dynamo Kiev are better teams than us?

Champions league level doesn't automatically mean a team full of multimillion pound superstars. Leverkusen, Lyon, Monaco, Napoli are all playing in the second tier European competition with us. I doubt their fans would have a sense of self loathing and be glad just to make the Europa league.

We should be playing CL football, Malmo was a shocker. A team with a budget a quarter the size of ours made it. We really have no excuses, our squad is superior in every position to Malmos.

Serious question, do you think that Sheriff Tiraspol, Besiktas, even Dynamo Kiev are better teams than us?

Champions league level doesn't automatically mean a team full of multimillion pound superstars. Leverkusen, Lyon, Monaco, Napoli are all playing in the second tier European competition with us. I doubt their fans would have a sense of self loathing and be glad just to make the Europa league.

We should be playing CL football, Malmo was a shocker. A team with a budget a quarter the size of ours made it. We really have no excuses, our squad is superior in every position to Malmos.
We are simply not good enough to compete in the Champions League we all witnessed that if we are honest, We still lack quality in our team and quality cost money.

what do you mean?

We are automatically in CL groups are we not?
The only way that doesn’t happen is the winners of the champions league don’t qualify automatically through their own league.
It would be typical if Liverpool, Manchester United or Chelsea, for example, were to do just that

Meh. The nature of that champions path through qualifying pits teams around our level against each other. Malmo, and obviously Young Boys, turned up prepared and we didn't, that's the way it goes, don't think they're miles ahead of us or anything like that. Every chance we go on to have a good run in Europa this year and they're bombed out of Europe altogether by Christmas, wouldn't read into a win against ten men too much.

Out of curiosity, does the big striker who played for them against us still play for them ? I only ask as I remember at the time he was touted as a potential replacement for Morelos if he left, but his name has totally escaped me so I can't google to see how his careers gone since.

We won't be guaranteed going straight into the groups each year. Although if we win the league we will get the champions league money the club should still work of a europa league budget. When having to qualify comes back into it there's a good chance we don't make it so if they have kept wages within europa league budgets it shouldn't hurt the club or force us to sell. Apart from the money I prefer us in the europa anyway. Soon uefa will do what the the big clubs really want and add more teams from thr bigger leagues in while taking our slot away.

I think every player has to max out just to compete with the best teams in the Europa.
I started watching the EPL this year after a 15 year hiatus; the top six or so teams in that league are so far ahead of us it's untrue.
Last 16 in the Europa is about as good as were gonna get. Maybe one stage further if we absolutely max out.

Man U were shocking after they went down to ten men. Pogba kept giving the ball away, they collectively forgot they could still play out and deserved what they got.
YB are a decent side though, look a cut above what we could handle.

It annoys me we only took 1 point off them when it should of been 6.Both games we switched off and lost daft late goals.

If we had made the group stages I could have seen us going out a group with 2 points, I also wouldn't have been shocked to see us turn up and beat literally any team in the competition in a one off game.

I think we would have lived with sides in the CL.

I am pissed off by the Malmo games, they are an outlier in our European performances, we have beat better sides than them over the last 24 months in Europe.

Malmo game told us loads.

We are not a CL team yet.

I don't really buy that argument. The top end of the Europa is as strong as the low end of the CL.

Lazio, Leverkusen and Marseille would all take Malmo and a couple of other CL teams apart.

We could have been a CL team. We just found Malmo at a terrible time for us and threw in an absolute Walter in the 90s Euro performance.

It happens in football sometimes. It's probably the 1st time under Gerrard we've really fucked a Euro tie in nearly 50 efforts.

Even when we're (hopefully) in it next season, we could still "not be a CL team" based on our quality just being the same as we are now going by your metrics.

When we play to our best we're definitely a match / if not better than the likes of Young Boys and Besiktas who are in this years Champions League.

Back