Young fan thanks supporters after Alfredo Morelos made his day

BlueMeanie

A YOUNG Rangers fan has thanked others for their support after Alfredo Morelos made his wishes come true.The Colombian striker carried delighted mascot Lucas Rae-Shreenan, 6, on to the pitch before scoring in the Light Blues' 5-0 win over Hearts yesterday.

Gers-daft Lucas, 6, has spent a large part of his life in hospital.

But his day was made as he was led out by Morelos before watching his heroes put five past the Jambos at Ibrox without reply.

Light Blues fans hailed the youngster after his mum Mel posted a video of the heartwarming moment on Twitter, which has since been viewed more than 80,000 times.

Now, in a new clip, Lucas can be seen sitting in his Rangers-themed hospital bed, saying: "Thanks everybody for the comments, I had a great day yesterday."

Lucas being the mascot today and @morelos2106 carrying him out

After Morelos' opener yesterday, Ryan Kent doubled Gers' lead before a Christophe Berra own goal put the game beyond doubt.

Substitute Greg Stewart then netted a five-minute double to keep the pressure on Neil Lennon's Hoops at the top.

Lucas previously went viral in September after meeting hero Ryan Jack through the John O'Byrne foundation.
John O'byrne@Scotlandshero15
https://twitter.com/Scotlandshero15/status/1177634365087637505

Had the best surprise ever for my wee pal Lucas who spends alot of time in hospital,hes a huge ryan jack fan so he got the shock of his life today when we arranged for him to meet jacko#dreamsdocometrue
https://twitter.com/Scotlandshero15/status/1177634365087637505
https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1177634365087637505

The youngster met up with the Gers midfielder and was given a Gers jersey with his name and number eight on the back.

And speaking after the match, Mel revealed her son was left in tears after Jack was named on the bench and unable to walk him onto the park.

She said: "Lucas was crying because Ryan couldn't take him out. Ryan asked Alfredo to do it and he come into the tunnel just took Lucas out my arms and cuddled him and he stopped crying and had a big smile on his face."

Fans also raised thousands for Lucas during a recent bucket collection at Ibrox during the 2-0 win over Porto.

Last edited:
Pollen count is oddly high at this time of year...

Seriously if we aren't looking into ways of moving our club into the Premier League, then what are we really playing at!? We've known since day dot that Alfie wants to play there. We should be moving heaven and earth to make it happen imo.

The wee lad and his family will treasure yesterday for evermore.

The true power and good of football at its very best.

Huge respect to Morelos and the usual heartfelt gesture from your club. Outstanding.

“Thanks Alfredo!”

giphy.gif

What a boy Lucas is! Great to see Alfie bring him joy, spends a lot of time with younger fans, I think having come from a poor part of a poor country he takes nothing for granted and is humble in a way that he remembers the importance of gestures like this.

More than a club, bloody right we are

well done wee Barra put a smile on my fizzog and a tearin my eye this cold morning

A YOUNG Rangers fan has thanked others for their support after Alfredo Morelos made his wishes come true.The Colombian striker carried delighted mascot Lucas Rae-Shreenan, 6, on to the pitch before scoring in the Light Blues' 5-0 win over Hearts yesterday.

Gers-daft Lucas, 6, has spent a large part of his life in hospital.

But his day was made as he was led out by Morelos before watching his heroes put five past the Jambos at Ibrox without reply.

Light Blues fans hailed the youngster after his mum Mel posted a video of the heartwarming moment on Twitter, which has since been viewed more than 80,000 times.

Now, in a new clip, Lucas can be seen sitting in his Rangers-themed hospital bed, saying: "Thanks everybody for the comments, I had a great day yesterday."

After Morelos' opener yesterday, Ryan Kent doubled Gers' lead before a Christophe Berra own goal put the game beyond doubt.

Substitute Greg Stewart then netted a five-minute double to keep the pressure on Neil Lennon's Hoops at the top.

Lucas previously went viral in September after meeting hero Ryan Jack through the John O'Byrne foundation.

The youngster met up with the Gers midfielder and was given a Gers jersey with his name and number eight on the back.

And speaking after the match, Mel revealed her son was left in tears after Jack was named on the bench and unable to walk him onto the park.

She said: "Lucas was crying because Ryan couldn't take him out. Ryan asked Alfredo to do it and he come into the tunnel just took Lucas out my arms and cuddled him and he stopped crying and had a big smile on his face."

Fans also raised thousands for Lucas during a recent bucket collection at Ibrox during the 2-0 win over Porto.
The wee man might have stopped crying but I just started reading that. Well done Alfie!

Just when you genuinely think you can’t love Alfredo or our club anymore then boom!
That is absolutely beautiful.

I know I say it on here time and time again but it’s stuff like this that make our club stand out to the rest.

Watched Lucas being carried out by Alfie yesterday, great to see - must have been a fantastic experience for a very brave young lad. Wish him all the very best for the future, hope to see back at Ibrox soon Lucas.
Well done Alfie, Ryan and all involved - lovely gesture.

What I also liked at the time on the pitch was how about 3 or 4 of the Hearts players gave Lucas acknowledgement too, with a wee pat to him as they went past.

Nice human touch from those concerned.

Back