Your favourite Walter Smith moment.

BroomloanWATP

Official Ticketer
There are so many to pick from. The sheer amount of joy Walter gave us all means that it's difficult to choose just one. For me, it's Florence.

soccer-uefa-cup-semi-final-second-leg-1033697.jpg

Sincere apologies if some feel this thread is too soon, I understand that we are all feeling genuine grief at the moment. I, personally, find it helps to talk about the good times, but I know not everyone feels the same.

His celebration after Miller’s winner against St Mirren in the 2010 League Cup Final.

It was the first final that I attended as a fan and if there was ever a display that summed up Walter Smith’s Rangers career that was it. Down to 9 men and he still managed to secure the famous a trophy.

Last edited:
The interview with Chick Young
Manchester
Sending Miller on in the LCF against St Mirren
Pretty much post match interview he did. I could listen to him talk about Rangers all day.

1. 9IAR up at Tannadice when he is presented with the trophy.
2. Coming back when we needed him the most.
3. The Chick Young interview. Cracks me up every time I watch it!

There are far too many occasions. Personal Walter ones inc the Durrant Slap and tearing into Chick Dung. The 92/93 season was my most memorable on the park and the Aberdeen Gazza hatrick to take title from Aberdeen.

Coming back after the shambles that was Le Guen, it just felt as if things were going to be ok. An immediate 5-0 win followed soon after by a win at the Piggery confirmed it for me.

Also an honourable mention for THAT video, posted above.

Today I feel as if I’ve lost a member of my family.

Edit : Also loved the Kevin Thomson story about how Walter told him he was getting subbed if he wasn’t booked in the first ten mins. Kevin then goes out and takes out Robbie Keane with a rugby tackle.

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, there were loads, some we all saw, others we just heard in countless stories about him.

I liked one Super told about him, during our 8IAR season we had a poor first half, Walter wasn’t happy and both Gaza and Ally were arguing, Walter told them both to shut it. Ally knew better and did just that, Gaza kept nipping away until Walter had him by the throat pinned to the dressing room wall………he quickly shut up and learned his lesson.

An absolute gentleman but had a ruthless streak in him when required.

He was just brilliant all round. A true great and the older the got the better he got at management. His second spell was incredibly impressive. I will never forget his lap of honour or slapping Durrant! :D

I have never been one to approach hero’s when you see them out and about. I saw Walter Smith in the Playhouse bar edinburgh where he was clearly having a post show drink with his family and friends. I wanted to say hello and shake his hand but didn’t as it was his personal time and I have an ingrained approach to not disturb famous folk in their personal time.

Today I am somewhat sad I didn’t take that chance to shake the great mans hand but still largely stand by my position as being correct.

A pissing down, sodden midweek night v Dundee United in may 2011, when he took his final bow as Rangers manager infront of Ibrox.

We were getting drenched and not a person left the stadium till he did his lap of honour. We knew that night there was no way we’d slip up at Kilmarnock and he was signing off with that final title.

Winning the league at killie. First time watching rangers lift a trophy in person.

Sat in the home end on my own at 15. Unknowingly surrounded by fellow fans, no celebration for the first goal, muted for the second and by the time the third went in everyone had given up on trying to blend in and started going mental.

What a day
What a man

There are so many to pick from. The sheer amount of joy Walter gave us all means that it's difficult to choose just one. For me, it's Florence.

Sincere apologies if some feel this thread is too soon, I understand that we are all feeling genuine grief at the moment. I, personally, find it helps to talk about the good times, but I know not everyone feels the same.
Bo Anderson goal reaction - Old Firm game.

Chick Young Interview.

The sheer joy between him, McCoist, and McDowell when Novo scored that penalty. This moment for me. Will never forget it. If anybody can find the picture of the 3 of them hugging please share.

My first memory of Walter Smith is vivid.

Our first game under Graeme Souness at Easter Road. Fantastic excitement, I was gripped and was at Easter Road early stood along from the school there. I am sure Bob Crampsey was there too.

The Rangers bus comes in to great applause.

A few minutes later walking from the school where he maybe parked his car came Walter Smith, hardly acknowledged.

They know him now.

Rest in Peace Walter

You embodied the club that I love.

Against st mirren, Mccoist had been given that tournament to ease himself into management but when the world was against us and we were on the verge of losing that game due to the sendings off, Walter came out and grabbed that game by the scruff of the neck and commanded those 9 men to victory in almost Impossible circumstances, Nothing quite sums up the great man more than that day and how he was an absolute collosus off a Rangers manager who demanded respect, RIP Legend

For me, it’s his return in 2007 and what that meant for me.

It coincided with my first ST and I grew up from the age of 7 with a true Ranger at the helm seeing us win trophy after trophy. Sir Walter returned at a time when we were a bit lost - he is responsible for reversing that and without him, I would never have fallen in love with Rangers from such a young age.

I am forever thankful for his contribution - rest in peace Gaffer.

Coming back after the shambles that was Le Guen, it just felt as if things were going to be ok. An immediate 5-0 win followed soon after by a win at the Piggery confirmed it for me.

Also an honourable mention for THAT video, posted above.

Today I feel as if I’ve lost a member of my family.

Edit : Also loved the Kevin Thomson story about how Walter told him he was getting subbed if he wasn’t booked in the first ten mins. Kevin then goes out and takes out Robbie Keane with a rugby tackle.
It was a clean tackle.

Season 92/93 - Walter Smiths Blue & White Army

And the appreciation from the man himself, when he presented the Copland Nutter with an away shirt in our last game of the season at Ibrox.

Back