Your favourite Walter Smith moment.

For those that remember the Warner Brothers store In Buchanan St, after a League win they produced a Bugs Bunny Rangers Cell with the Rangers Strip on. At that time we trained over at the West of Scotland Cricket Ground. So like an eegit Bugs in hand waited till the end of training, shouted to Archie Knox, to see if Walter would sign it, Walter walked over, and the only reason why he signed the back of the Cell was to take pity on me LOL, a pure Gentleman.

The nine man cup win when he came down onto the touchline and directed the team like the conductor of a symphony orchestra, superb.

Champions League semi final (or the equivalent of what it was at the time) and UEFA Cup Final! Actually to think that both happened in my life time!!!

One of the Champs League stars on the logo is Rangers and because of Sir Walter!

Can’t remember what game it was might’ve been the league decider vs the sheep in 91 but after the game, Walter ran down the touch line and got the attention of The Copland Nutter shook his hand and gave him something as a gift. A great moment especially as the security had been chasing The Nutter all game for being on his feet dancing (as The Enclosure encouraged him to do so)

Far far too many great moments on the pitch to pick one.

My favourite story though is from my Gran, while she was alive she worked at Gleneagles and in 97 the Rangers team were up on a bender celebrating another league win.

Walter was quiet subdued the whole evening, smiles and that but no where near as away with it as the rest of the squad. Few whiskys hadn't really said much. Just kept to his table with the staff.

That was until Mr McCoist and Gascoigne ended up on top of the lounge bar, swinging their ties about n smashing all sorts of glasses.

One of the staff approached Walter and had a quiet word, Gran said next thing Walter was up, straight through to the lounge and roared.

"You n Fuckin you! GET DOON AFF THAT BAR N FUCKIN BEHAVE, or yees can piss aff up the stair tae yer beds!"

McCoist and Gazza doon quick style, like wee school boys she said, heads down taking a telling. Walter back through apologised to the staff.

My grans the reason I support Rangers tbh. Her and my mum, loved all the stories.

I'll need to dig out the photo album.

I've mentioned this before on here but my fondest memory of Walter is more personal.

I was at a Rangers Charity Foundation night out many years ago at the Hilton and towards the end of the night found myself on the dance floor dancing away with a slighter older woman (not in that way ya deviants) before I got a tap on the shoulder from Sir Walter who told me to "stay away from his wife" with a cheeky smile on his face.

I was equally terrified as I was delighted that the great man spoke to me, even if the warning was delivered with genuine intent :))

Will never forget it, made my night. An absolute gent and legend.

The chick dung interview in the tunnel was absolutely remarkable. He was always so composed. Looking back, that win at rugby park to clinch the league was an incredible event to witness. Especially with it being his last season.

There are so many to pick from. The sheer amount of joy Walter gave us all means that it's difficult to choose just one. For me, it's Florence.

soccer-uefa-cup-semi-final-second-leg-1033697.jpg

Sincere apologies if some feel this thread is too soon, I understand that we are all feeling genuine grief at the moment. I, personally, find it helps to talk about the good times, but I know not everyone feels the same.
New year, 3-1 bo Anderson double, the bold Walter half way down the touchline letting go of his usual reserve and going bat shit crazy like the other 42,000 of us. One of us indeed.

Fortunate enough to have met him a few times through knowing his son.
Always made you comfortable despite being in awe of him.
A remarkable manager, a legend to us all and had time for most people.
Very down to earth.
Rest easy Mr Smith.
You’ve earned the right.

I have so many but last day title deciders against Dundee Utd (2009) & Kilmarnock (2011) - my nerves were shredded going into these games - fearing we could be on the end of a helicopter Sunday horror show - The memories were still fresh from that particular outpouring of joy in 2005!!

Anyway, watching Walter Smith come out the tunnel on both occasions - a warm smile, glint in the eye and looking so relaxed - really put me at ease! 45 mins later and both games were effectively won by rip-roaring first half displays and I wondered why I had ever been so stressed in the first place!?
Walter believed and so should I - it was never in doubt. Thanks gaffer - you really are simply the best.

It’s a sad day but this made me smile :)
Been crying like a baby since I heard. Wife asked me if I’m alright and then said she hopes that I’ll be this devastated when she dies, to which I replied that Walter was responsible for a lot more joyful times in my life than she will ever be.

Like you, this video is the first thing to bring a smile to my face.

Walters first game back against Dundee United in 2007. Gave us back some hope and pride after a dreadful start to that season. We all know what happened in the seasons afterwards. The name Walter Smith will be remembered for as long as Rangers exist.

So many great memories of Walter moments. The put down of that wxxk Speirs when he tries to speak with Walter always makes me laugh. A quite word and a look - brilliant

Living overseas and seeing a willie vass picture of Walter with his grandkids in the directors box always warmed my heart. A kind of ‘everythings ok in our Rangers world’ thing.
Not my favorite Walter moment but one that always brought a smile to me.

I have so many but last day title deciders against Dundee Utd (2009) & Kilmarnock (2011) - my nerves were shredded going into these games - fearing we could be on the end of a helicopter Sunday horror show - The memories were still fresh from that particular outpouring of joy in 2005!!

Anyway, watching Walter Smith come out the tunnel on both occasions - a warm smile, glint in the eye and looking so relaxed - really put me at ease! 45 mins later and both games were effectively won by rip-roaring first half displays and I wondered why I had ever been so stressed in the first place!?
Walter believed and so should I - it was never in doubt. Thanks gaffer - you really are simply the best.
Well put; earlier I saw a clip of him leading the team out at Hampden, and remembered how reassuring he could be. Great post.

Was thinking about this earlier and there's just too many to pick a favourite. What I will say though, is that I sat in the Govan Stand throughout both of Walter's spells in charge. When things weren't going well, a glance across to the touchline and seeing Walter standing there, barking out instructions, gave me a sense of comfort that I never had with any manager before or since. The man had my complete trust and belief in him.

This is the one that immediately sprung to mind, but if I dig deep, I think there are too many to mention.

My favourite is probably the UEFA Cup final run. Of course the SF celebrations in Florence stick out, but the one image that will remain with me for life was watching the QF second leg with my Da live and when the second goal went in in injury time away in Lisbon, I remember the camera panning to he, McCoist and McDowell celebrating on the sideline! Special feeling doesn't begin to cover it!

• Got to meet him in Princess Square when I was there with the school (early high school around 12 or 13) around 8 in a row. Was with Ethel doing some Christmas shopping. Me and another massive Bear being awestruck and hounding him for an autograph. Teacher telling us to leave him alone but he told her it was no problem at all and even pulled out a pen to sign whatever we had for him.
  • 1997 beamback at Ibrox against Hearts, last game of the season having won 9, players and management come back from Tynecastle for a party on the pitch.
  • 9 men cup final.
  • Edu last minute.
  • Lap of honour after his last home game in the rain.

That's just the ones I was there for. Instrumental for me growing up as a wee boy.

Mine is a personal one, if I may?

I was working at Fir Park the game after we had come back from Manchester, in the midst of the most hectic set of fixtures ever.

I had the pleasure to meet Mr Smith in the foyer and said ‘hello and thanks for everything’

He asked if I’d been to Manchester and I replied yes but was ticketless.

He then went on to say losing was a sore one but that it had been his wedding anniversary that week and Ethel was ‘no very happy’ with him.

I think that was the moment I realised what a special man Walter was.

Up to his neck in cup finals, league matches that were crucial and he could chat to a random fellow like me about upsetting his missus.

A fantastic human being.

I have so many memories of Walter but two stick in my mind. We went back to the Grapes after the game where we beat Celtic 3-1 with two late Erik Bo Andersen goals. I had not seen Walter’s reaction at the time to the goals but highlights of the game were on the TV. To see his celebrations in front of the East Enclosure was a sight I will never forget.

The second is the night before we were to play Kilmarnock at Rugby Park (result was 0-0), Walter was being interviewed and he said he was mellowing as he got older. Fast forward to the game itself and he was sent off for disputing a decision and banished to the stand where he then got into a verbal battle with a Kilmarnock fan.

For some reason I decided to watch the Leeds away game in a mates house rather than the pub, which was my normal routine.

After the match, and about an hour of just jumping up and down, we looked up the telephone code for Leeds and just started phoning random numbers 0532 72 1690 etc.

We got through to a few.

“Hello?”

“Hello! Hello we are the…..”

Click!!

A few were works answering machines, %^*& knows what they made of the messsges the next day.

Utterly chronic and yet joyous at the same time.

Thanks Walter.

Every smile was heartwarming. You instinctively loved and trusted the Gaffer.

The wee smile when introduced as the new Rangers manager will live with me forever.

As has been said, so many.

But his passion on the touchline when that ratbag Waddell red carded Davie Robertson was palpable when watching it on the highlights. He knew we were being cheated that night.

Then his running up the touchline when Erik Bo scored the third in the 97 Ne'erday fixture.

on the field it was when he ran to the players at tannadice and leaped into them

off the field it was when spiers tried to get his attention and the great man patched him

Hard to pick just one, how he came back when we needed him, the success he managed in dark times was just miraculous.

He was one those special few people, that has an aura, a presence, hard to describe or measure but he had it. A giant.

Met the great man a few times at airports on euro trips but the night I wont forget was when Walter was at our local for a question and answer session. The place was packed out as you would expect but Walter was the ultimate gentleman and fielded the usual searching questions like whats his favourite rangers song and such guff with great patience but then I got up and asked him about his tactics in the euro cup final in Manchester, did he regret not changing the tactics which got us there as this was a one off game and not a 2 leg affair. Walter was having none of it so I pressed him again, this time he gave me the look and said, how many fucking European finals have you got to Son?
shot me down in flames and the place was in uproar, put me right back in my box
the biggest compliment I can Walter is that he reminded so much of my own dad
Rest in peace Mr Smith

Never forget that first league title, the win against Aberdeen on the last day

With everything that had happened, Souness leaving etc, it looked like it was slipping away from us, but Walter was having none of that.

Laid down the marker for everything that was to follow

08:45

Or when he started on Paatelainen, just to kick start a game because he knew it needed something
NINTCHDBPICT000004280437.jpg

I always smile whenever I heard the name Walter Smith because of this very thing. '' Hardman '' Mixu got it tight that day, his hard as nails persona got utterly melted by Sir Walters molten tongue. The camera panned to Mixu a few times afterwards and he was like a scolded bairn. Bubbly eyed and tripped lipped.

Loads of classic moments already mentioned. The one I remember is his interview after the victory over Bruges when Scott Nisbet scored that outrageous goal. After the match, which had put the supporters through the wringer, heart attack material, Walter in the post match interview was calmness and dignity personified. Absolute class.

“If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same”

So many to choose from but when he returned as manager in 2007 I just remember there been a massive buzz within the Rangers support. Then that first game back against Dundee United when we battered them 5-1 just hit home that we were back as a club.

Back