Your favourite Walter Smith moment.

The 9-men cup final.

One of the greatest managerial performances in footballing history.

No one other than Walter could have pulled that off.
My first final with my boy. Too many to single one out. Every song in victory, every celebration, the relationships foisted during those experiences. The ability to meet any gers fan in the world of that time and spend hours chatting about the joy.

The influence and impact that had on so many lives is incalculable. He was the best of us.

There are so many to pick from. The sheer amount of joy Walter gave us all means that it's difficult to choose just one. For me, it's Florence.

soccer-uefa-cup-semi-final-second-leg-1033697.jpg

Sincere apologies if some feel this thread is too soon, I understand that we are all feeling genuine grief at the moment. I, personally, find it helps to talk about the good times, but I know not everyone feels the same.
For me it was his signing off with 3IAR in 2011 in his second spell. He deserved to sign off as a Champion. And he did.

Loads of great memories in this thread, his last game in the rain being my favourite.

I met him outside the EE turnstyles when I was early for a game. Aged 14 starstruck and got his autograph on my programme, then he ruffled my hair. There ye go wee man :)

RIP Walter Smith.

One of my own abiding memories of Walter which I have recounted to my pals down through the years in happier times involved us in a midweek defeat at Tannadice back in the 91/92 season. I was sat in the Jerry Kerr Stand and it was a cold and damp late Autumn night. We didn't play that well, lost 3-2 (Super Ally scored twice) and the Bears were their (our) usual tolerant selves in the face of defeat. A woman sat next to me was shouting about the defeat "costing us the league". (We ended up winning it by 9 points from Hearts). Àt the final whistle I remember thinking, "Here we go"! Walter got up from the dugout, head down and stared at the track, hands stuck in his coat pockets while attempting to walk towards the tunnel without catching the eyes of the Bears in that stand. He was roundly booed all the way from that dugout down to the tunnel and it was as if Walter was attempting to lower his head below the collar of his raincoat. There are fewer harder on their own than our lot and poor Wattie didn't half cop it from the Bears that night. We grew to revere and love Walter down through the years, but I have often thought of that night in 1991 at Tannadice when Walter was not spared our wrath. It spoke volumes for him that both he and the Rangers came back so strongly after it. He was some man!

Last edited:
Running down the track after Eric bo Anderson goal will live with me forever

The guy dressed as Walter at Kilmarnock with the Walter mask

I was lucky enough to meet him in Fraser’s when he was chairman got a great picture with him

Though I’ve not got the picture I will always remember it

Reactions: VGM
I have been lucky and seen us win many leagues and cups ( including trebles) but my everlasting memory of Walter was the uefa cup final in Manchester

smiling through the tears

I wish there was captioning, especially at the end, on this as I still am working on understanding the Glaswegian accent again after so long in the US. I would love to hear what he's actually saying to rip the interviewer apart.

Since I heard the news this afternoon, anytime I see anything about the man, I just try and hold back the tears as I only remember him at Ibrox in his second spell. My memories of the great man are the following.

The 2007-08 European run. Winning the league at Tannadump in 09 after 4 years of them winning everything. The 9 men and a pigeon cup final at Hampdump. Winning the league in 7 minutes at Rugby Park. That lap of honour at Ibrox after his last home game in charge.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but it's always in my head like a lot of us Old Firm or football supporters but the image of Sir Walter and Super Ally carrying the coffin of their good friend Tommy Burns always sticks in my mind.

I have been lucky to have met the great man. I was refereeing at Glasgow Green in August 19 and a fellow referee who knew I support Rangers said to the guys in the cabin that he was watching his grandson playing a game so straight away, I found out what pitch the game was at and I went over spoke to him for a couple of minutes he was engrossed in the game but just the opportunity to speak to the man was an honour.

I have a lump in my throat reading these posts and typing this. I can say this one thing, tomorrow night is going to be emotional just hope we can win and dedicate it to the good man. I mention the Tommy Burns thing as how close friends the 3 gentlemen were just shows the divide is only football based in this city and you've seen it today with the gentleman going to Ibrox to pay his respects and getting an applause.

Lucky enough for both his spells to form a significant part of my life, so many great football memories, and as many have said too many iconic moments to mention individually.
One moment however does just stick in my mind…it was in his second spell and we’d just won the league for the first time in a few years away to Dundee Utd (2009?).
Ibrox had been opened up and was filling up with bears celebrating. When the team finally did arrive back and do a lap round the pitch etc.,there were a few bears well the worst for drink! One such person ran onto the pitch from the Govan (as was) near us, and promptly face planted onto the pitch. Looked like he’d given himself a sore one, with a steward and polis moving in. Just then Walter moved in, checked the guy was ok, helped him up, and set him on his way back to the stand, whilst waving away the steward etc.
So inconsequential when compared to all his football achievements, but the act itself was just like a family member looking after their own when they’ve had one too many and needed a hand.
To me it sums up Walter’s attitude to us,the fans, we were part of his family, and him ours. RIP Gaffer.

There are so many but I always think about the League Cup final against St Mirren and Walter on the touchline pushing us on when we had 9 men. I'd rarely seen him as animated and I think the players were inspired by it too. His leadership shone through that day and drove us to the win.

Others that stand out now are his celebrations in the New Year game when Bo Andersen scored, love seeing him running down touchline enjoying the moment with the fans. I also remember the flare up with Paatelainen at Ibrox because it was rare to see him lose his cool. Then there is obviously Florence, Rugby Park which were all fantastic moments.

Another that we can laugh about now was the Van Vossen miss! I can still see him turning away with a look that suggested he wanted to kill Van Vossen at that moment!! Fortunately we won the game and went on to seal 9 in a row so it didn't matter but I wouldn't have wanted to be Van Vossen if that game had slipped away!

The 7 minutes at Kilmarnock were amazing -and the guys wearing Walter masks and cardigans - jumping around at the goals-

Reactions: VGM
I’m almost 34 and can remember a decent amount of 9 in a row and the memories of the night at tanadice!

Kilmarnock on the last day of the season for his last title will always be one to remember.

But my abiding memory will always be that lap of honour in the pouring rain and how emotional it was for me and my old man. We still talk about it all the time!

Far too many to narrow it down to just one, but, we weren't half spoiled during his tenure at the club, and dare I say it, took it for granted at times.

First met Walter Smith back in 1976 when he was playing for Dumbarton at the time, but was also a PE teacher at Dundee Technical College.
He always joined in the kick about games that he organised and his enthusiasm was amazing.
He really enjoyed header tennis and I gave up my lunch breaks a good few times to play against him, and as far as Walter was concerned, it was serious stuff and not to be taken lightly. That kind of sums up Walter for me.

th
08:45

Or when he started on Paatelainen, just to kick start a game because he knew it needed something

The 9 man cup final, one of the greatest displays of a rangers team and manager.

Getting a team that had Kirk broadfoot at right back to a European final.

Loads more on top of that
despite kirks 3 yes 3 foul throws in the second leg away from home with ten men...

Really envious of all those lucky bears who got to actually meet the great man. Would have loved to spend 5 minutes in his company, even if I would likely have been a stuttering wreck.

Hard to single out a defining memory for me and think most of the most prominent ones have already been mentioned and rightly lauded. Lucky enough to grow up during the 9iar era so the sight of Walter guiding us to trophy after trophy never got old. But I think it was second spell that really sits at the top of his achievements...the way he revitalised our club and got us going again from pretty much his first game back was glorious to witness. There was always a risk he could fall flat and somewhat spoil his legacy ("never go back" some say) but not for this colossus of a man. Picked up from where he left off in terms of trophies and gave us that incredible run all the way to a euro final.

What a man. Genuinely only ever been as upset as I am today when my dear old dad died 10 years ago.

For me it has to be meeting the man as a kid. Down in Glasgow visiting family and my parents take us along to Ibrox to get autographs as it was back when the turned up at Ibrox then in a bus to training.

Walter was a gentleman and took time to speak to me and my brother, my brother wouldn't shut up and was showing off his new away top. Only issue was it was fake and was bought at the barras, wasn't even a good fake. Walter just laughed and took all the time in the world to listen to us talk football. He isn't just a Rangers legend, he was a legend as a human too.

That night at Hampden beating them 1-0 after Robertson got sent off and Walter doing his nut at Waddell and the linesman.
The UEFA run will be his legacy in my opinion.
I had that game on an old VHS tape and it was my go to tape after a day on the booze. I think I could do Martin Tyler’s commentary in my sleep I’ve watched it that many times.

What a match, I think I’ve still got the clothes I wore to the match drying on a clothes horse somewhere.

Last edited:
Walters first game back against Dundee United in 2007. Gave us back some hope and pride after a dreadful start to that season. We all know what happened in the seasons afterwards. The name Walter Smith will be remembered for as long as Rangers exist.
I remember the blue order - " Walter and Ally - they came when duty called " banner. Did we not spank them and Charlie Adam scored from halfway line as well. You knew things were gonna get better

Playing Daniel Cousin in the win at Parkhead just before we sold him to Hull was a masterstroke.
Cousin absolutely battered McManus and Caldwell before being sent off.

I thought this was a well written piece from an Everton perspective (from Phil McNulty who is chief football writer for BBC sport),

Walter Smith’s time at Everton may ultimately be regarded as unfulfilling when measured in trophies but he provided stability and continuity in a time of trauma at Goodison Park while retaining dignity, decency and a wonderful sense of humour.

And, when his early days at Everton are reflected upon, there must also be a sense of what might have been.

When Smith rejected Sheffield Wednesday to join Everton in the summer of 1998 after leaving Rangers, his first moves in the transfer market showed his eye for an emerging player and his ability to attract the best.

Archie Knox and Walter Smith joined Everton in 1998Image caption: Archie Knox and Walter Smith joined Everton in 1998
His first three pieces of business were to sign a young defender called Marco Materazzi from Perugia, who went on to become a World Cup winner with Italy in 2006, a little-known midfielder Olivier Dacourt from Strasbourg destined to become one of Europe’s finest operators at Leeds United and Inter Milan then John Collins from Monaco.

Scotland midfield man Collins was in demand by numerous top clubs in the Premier League and beyond as he was available on a free transfer from Monaco but he chose Everton, a somewhat unlikely choice at the time, because of his respect for Smith.

This was what Smith wanted, the standards and level of ambition he wanted to set.

It was all undermined within months when Everton ran into financial strife and the talisman Duncan Ferguson was sold to Newcastle United without his knowledge. He could have walked out to protect his reputation but stayed on, much to the admiration of Everton fans, and it was owner Peter Johnson who left.

As Everton languished in limbo, Dacourt and Materazzi left after only one season as Smith was forced to rein back on his big plans.

This turned Smith’s task at Everton into a holding operation as ownership switched from Johnson to Bill Kenwright and the club went through a transitional period when cash was tight.

Duncan Ferguson was sold to rivals Newcastle UnitedImage caption: Duncan Ferguson was sold to rivals Newcastle United
Even then, Smith was a shrewd operator, bringing in the likes of Thomas Gravesen, David Weir, Tomasz Radzinski, Lee Carsley, Alan Stubbs and Kevin Campbell, who all went on to serve his predecessor David Moyes so well.

On a personal level, Smith will be remembered a complete gentleman with a wonderfully dry Scottish sense of humour that made him a hugely popular figure with the media on Merseyside, available day and night and someone who took praise but also accepted constructive criticism.

It was also Smith who provided a memorable 1-0 win against Liverpool at Anfield in September 1999, a feat none of his successors could repeat until Carlo Ancelotti oversaw a 2-0 triumph there in February 2021.

Smith may not have brought silverware to Everton but the importance of how he held the club together in a very troubled time of change must never be under-estimated and he will be sadly missed by all of us who had the pleasure to get to know him personally and deal with him professionally.

And that comes as absolutely no surprise to anyone.

I remember the blue order - " Walter and Ally - they came when duty called " banner. Did we not spank them and Charlie Adam scored from halfway line as well. You knew things were gonna get better
5-0 I believe it was and Charlie scored from about 40 yards out mate. Sat in the east enclosure that day and got absolutely soaked. The seasons that followed are my best memories of supporting Rangers. Hardly missed a game home and away and got to see plenty trophies get lifted.

His first title as manager

Souness left, we had a wobble
Aberdeen had a great run
Down to the last day at home to Aberdeen

McCoist and Durrant not fit but on the bench

Brown given an injection to play but told his achilles would snap - it did

Gough too ill to play

We also lose Cowan to a broken leg

But the sheer will to win saw us through on a momentus day
That came from Walter

5-0 I believe it was and Charlie scored from about 40 yards out mate. Sat in the east enclosure that day and got absolutely soaked. The seasons that followed are my best memories of supporting Rangers. Hardly missed a game home and away and got to see plenty trophies get lifted.
Charlie tried to score that goal again at least every other game for the rest of his time with us if I remember! I was above you in the main stand not getting soaked. But you just knew we'd turned a corner then

I'm really enjoying reading this thread and everyone's favourite moments and memories of meeting the great man. Making me smile on a really emotional day.

I'll just add another moment that epitomises him. Its not my favourite but shows the values that he holds pretty well. The handling of the v-gate fiasco or whatever name the press gave it with Ferguson and McGregor. If I'm right we were only about a month to six weeks out from the end of the season and we hadn't won the league in years so it was a crucial time.

Ferguson's powers were on the wane but he was still the biggest fish in our pond and our captain. No matter, they would both be disciplined, not because of what they did but because they didn't immediately report to him on their first day back at Auchenhowie. Ferguson barely set foot on the park for us again because of that. The man was willing to give up his captain and most influential player because his behaviours fell short of what he expected of him. Incredibly brave and powerful management that.

Super and Kenny McDowell were in charge of cup games back then, then we went down to 9 men in that final, cometh the hour cometh the man, Walter went down onto the touchline where he remained the rest of the game barking orders and encouragement and talking the players through the game, St Mirren never really had a chance even against the 9 men, Walter Smith #Legend.

I'm really enjoying reading this thread and everyone's favourite moments and memories of meeting the great man. Making me smile on a really emotional day.

I'll just add another moment that epitomises him. Its not my favourite but shows the values that he holds pretty well. The handling of the v-gate fiasco or whatever name the press gave it with Ferguson and McGregor. If I'm right we were only about a month to six weeks out from the end of the season and we hadn't won the league in years so it was a crucial time.

Ferguson's powers were on the wane but he was still the biggest fish in our pond and our captain. No matter, they would both be disciplined, not because of what they did but because they didn't immediately report to him on their first day back at Auchenhowie. Ferguson barely set foot on the park for us again because of that. The man was willing to give up his captain and most influential player because his behaviours fell short of what he expected of him. Incredibly brave and powerful management that.
yeah, the way he dealt with that was class, think im right saying fergie was out for a few weeks then back in. Not completely bombed which would've affected value. I could be wrong about this but was it not, no specific club ban specified just you had to get back in walters good books to get in the team again! not many men had that clout.

Florence.

Thats the highest ive ever been as a Rangers supporter. The only thing anywhere near it was 55.

But the reality is he spoiled us all. My generation had his second spell. The older generation had both his first and second. And there are too many special moments in there to name.

Many marvellous memories, game wise, but the presentation of a waistcoat to the "Copland Nutter", in recognition for his wonderful support all that season. A great gesture from a great man.

I have 2 both from being a ball boy at Ibrox.
1) he would always say alright and chat away to us a wee scruff of the hair etc have a laugh.
2) his last ever game we were drenched and still stood clapping braught a tear to many of our eyes and he said thanks to us all!

Shows how much of a gentleman he was! Appreciating the small parts of such a big club!

Shouldn't have watched that. I'm a bubbling mess.

In a world where there wasn't many male role models around, Walter was the man I looked up to. Pure gutted.
A Walter Smith masterclass. One of the few games v them I've been sober.

As has been said, so many.

But his passion on the touchline when that ratbag Waddell red carded Davie Robertson was palpable when watching it on the highlights. He knew we were being cheated that night.

Then his running up the touchline when Erik Bo scored the third in the 97 Ne'erday fixture.
Was that the mid-week game at Hampden we won 1-0.
Backs to the wall but we won the match

His celebration after Miller’s winner against St Mirren in the 2010 League Cup Final.

It was the first final that I attended as a fan and if there was ever a display that summed up Walter Smith’s Rangers career that was it. Down to 9 men and he still managed to secure the famous a trophy.
He won that final for us, he came down from the stand and was barking orders to everyone, where to go and who to close down, organised the defence...Kenny Miller says he had 4 different roles to play after Danny Wilson was sent off.

Reflecting on his achievements also reminded me of a personal touch a few years ago. Walter received an honorary doctorate during my graduation ceremony. I was in awe of his speech, very humble and spoke a lot about hard work. I never got to the opportunity to meet him that day. My friend at uni had a family member working in the ticket office and he got word to Walter that a few of us would have loved to have met him.

He then got a hold of some programmes from the day and signed them for us. Not exactly much but a lovely gesture.

Pic (hopefully) below.

Back