Your first ever Rangers first team game you attended?

Eventhough I'd had Rangers in my life for I while at that time the game in Valkeakoski, Finland was the first I saw Rangers in flesh. I was serving my time in finnish army (as all the finnish people do) and was having a free evening. Because of the game I was late from the night roll call and was sentenced to two weeks without free evenings. The starting lineup was:

Klos, Adamczuk, Moore, Amoruso, Numan, Ferguson, Reyna, van Bronckhorst, McCann, Mols, Wallace

Next game was in Paris 2000 or 2001. After that I've been able to see Rangers in Scotland few times a year.
What made you start following Rangers mate?

79 or 80 I think. St Mirren at home, they scored late on to win 1-0, I was devastated. It was a case of pick a seat, any seat in the Copland and there was a pile of rubble where the Sandy Jardine Stand is now situated.

think mine was 1989 - Motherwell at home and I came across from NI with the BB.
Boat, old style minibus (sat facing each other), long drive up from Cairnryan, and repeat.
Bought a top in the shop beforehand, sat in the Main Stand and Cooper was with Motherwell at the time.
Terry Butcher scored just before h/t, McCoist scored cracking chip for the 3rd - cant remember who got the 2nd.
Stayed in Ayr, watched the hilights that night, and remembered every single part of the game when watching it.
Great times, and so many memories created....

I’ve got a vague recollection of going to a friendly against Inverness Caledonian (prior to the merger) in about 1992. I was 6yo and my dad was stationed at Fort George. First time at Ibrox was April 1993 against Partick, we won 3-1 and McSwegan scored 2 and Hagen scored the other. Sure Gerry Britton scored for Thistle near the end.

Sturm Graz at Ibrox. Dogged school to buy the tickets. Three match package for 40 quid I think. We'd have made the knock out stages that year if Amoruso never sold a goal with a minute to go. Best chance we had of making an impact in the champions league, apart from the first one. Not sure if we will compete at that level ever again sadly.

Pre season friendly v Elgin City. We won 3-0. Think it was 1977 on same day as Charity Shield but my memories may be mixing things up

Went to a home match vs falkirk in 1971 and paid into the centenary stand.My dad who passed away last year had a shop on Copland road and we were allowed to go to the match then rush back in time for the sports pink times arriving as the shop would be busy then.Been going regularly since then and had a great time in Manchester for the Uefa final even tho we didn't have match tickets...went with wee bro who sadly passed 4 years ago and remember him being so happy as I got him a ticket for the lovenkrands final and he was on TV in the north enclosure with his luminous orange top on...he even bought the dvd so he could watch himself....miss him a lot and he will be looking down from above hoping the bears win the title soon.

31st March 1979. A month short of my 21st Birthday.

Scots League Cup Final at Hampden Park.

Aberdeen 1 Rangers 2 Att: 54,000

I went with the old now sadly defunct, Luton Rangers Supporters Club for a weekender by train. Left Luton Friday am returned Sunday night - £5 Return !!!

Brilliant late Colin Jackson RIP header to win it for us.

Although I'd been following Luton for over 12 years at the time and been to England games, as well as seeing top flight English clubs such as Arsenal v Spurs, West Ham v Liverpool, Tottenham v West Ham, Liverpool v Ipswich........... I came back raving to all my Luton mates about THE best atmosphere I'd ever experienced attending a football match at that time.

Progressive's Niederkorn Luxembourg away leg this summer, was my 117th Bears game seen live - to date.

Not sure of the date but was late 70s in a 2 nil defeat away to DD utd, I remember one of the scorers was Graeme Payne, I seen big Derek Johnstone outside before the game and was so excited to see such a huge hero of mine at the time but was a little nervous to ask for his autograph

Being from Edinburgh, there were a few games which I recall being at, but have pretty much no recollection of, midweek games v Hibs and Hearts, remember walking to them, but nothing much about the games themselves, must've been about 5 or so.
There was one Saturday v Hibs, which i vaguely remember, and desperate to see the highlights at night on sportscene, but there was no footage due to the fog.

First cup final was v Hearts at Hampden 1976, remember being in the old North stand, and when we got back to Edinburgh, into the pub my Mum worked in (a Hearts pub), another rangers supporter who had been at the game gave me his scarf, which I still have.

First game at Ibrox was v Hearts as I recall, work was still being done on either the Broomloan or the Govan and we were in the West Enclosure I think, late 70s.

A Scottish Cup game v Cowdenbeath at Ibrox in the late 80’s, Rangers won 5-0. Not sure who scored though.

I got mine very wrong when I first thought about it. I thought it was April 87 vs Hearts at Ibrox in a 3-0 win. Turns out it was a 0-1 home defeat to the Sheep Shaggers in April 88. I think that might have been their last win at Ibrox until very recently. If I am wrong please feel free to correct me

No idea. I do know I was at a Tennent Caledonian tournament but not sure when. I also know o was at Young boys euro game in the 70s

January 1981, 1-0 win against Aberdeen, DJ got the goal. We were in the West Enclosure. My mate and I ran down to the front straight away, lost his dad until full time. I bought a match programme (which I still have - Peter McCloy on the cover) and a Davie Cooper rosette.

Eventhough I'd had Rangers in my life for I while at that time the game in Valkeakoski, Finland was the first I saw Rangers in flesh. I was serving my time in finnish army (as all the finnish people do) and was having a free evening. Because of the game I was late from the night roll call and was sentenced to two weeks without free evenings. The starting lineup was:

Klos, Adamczuk, Moore, Amoruso, Numan, Ferguson, Reyna, van Bronckhorst, McCann, Mols, Wallace

Next game was in Paris 2000 or 2001. After that I've been able to see Rangers in Scotland few times a year.
Couldn't beat getting rops.

1962 or 63 Scottish cup game against Partick Thistle 3-0 , Davie Wilson & Jim Forrest the scorers
Thing I remember about that game my dad & uncle took us on the train, the station was behind where the present Govan stand is.
I wish it was back in operation

Davie Coopers Testimonial vs. Bordeaux 1988

Sat near the rear of the Broomloan with my Dad and my Uncle. One the most vivid memories of my childhood. From the light of the sunset. Rangers in their red and white ‘Monaco’ away kit. Getting a chippy on the way home. One of the best days of my life.

I had been taken to Rangers reserve team games from about the age of three. My first time ever seeing the "Big Team" was on 18th of May 1963 against Queen of the South at Ibrox. The result was 3-1 to the Famous. My recollections are thus: IIRC Doug Baillie put through his own goal to give them the lead:( However, we ended up winning as above:)) I cant remember who scored for us, but I know Allan McGregor was not in goals.:p I remember being in the west enclosure down at the front as I was tiny, even Wee Willie Henderson was a giant to me! We had won the Scottish Cup and the League that season, so, My favourite memory was the team going round the trackside with both trophies:)):)) 18th May means a lot to me, as ironically my father, who brought me up following the world's most successful team passed away on 18th May 1990:( WATP:D Your first guys?

Richard Goughs Testimonial (I think) Vs Arsenal, 3-0 and Albertz first game... apparently spat my dummy out every time we scored, here we are 23 years later still spitting the dummy out *jokes i aint no tim* lol good to see Albertz again after 23 years, my favourite player.

Rangers v Clyde, First Division, 27th December 1969, 3-0 win. I was 13 and over from N.I. with my 11 year old brother staying with friends in Bothwell. It was a misty, murky day and where we stood at the Copland Road end you could barely see the opposite goal. Denis Setterington hooked one in at the Broomloan end in the first half, Andy Penman scored from the spot and John Greig cracked in a 25 yard shot in the second. Having only ever attended Irish League games I was very impressed by the size of the ground and the atmosphere generated by a crowd of around 35,000. At the end I stood at the top of the terracing for a few minutes taking in the scene, the main stand and terracing on three sides,all these years later it's still imprinted on my memory.

January 1981, 1-0 win against Aberdeen, DJ got the goal. We were in the West Enclosure. My mate and I ran down to the front straight away, lost his dad until full time. I bought a match programme (which I still have - Peter Mcloy on the cover) and a Davie Cooper rosette.

s-l1600.jpg

we won 6 :3 and before the game started the teams kicked out volleyballs into the crowd im still pissed off i didnt get one

Last edited:
League Cup semi October 1965, beat Killie 6-4. Remember we were about 6-1 up and Killie scored 3 late goals.

Rangers v Chesterfield in 1980. Fortunately I couldn't make the away game as I had an exam that day.

Rangers v osasuna 1985/86 eufa cup.

Pissed down from the heavens all night, we eventually got a 1:0 win on the night but went out away to a 2:0 defeat.

Would it be totally unstaunch of me to admit that I honestly haven’t a clue.

Must have been at the start of the 1968/69 season when the family came back up north from Somerset.

My Uncle took me to a game at Ibrox about 77, we beat Dundee 6 3 but at 6 years old all I remember is the score, I have more memories of the opening game v St Mirren in 84 when we drew 0 - 0 sadly :))

Back