Your first game at Ibrox, against who and score?

Against Patrick Thistle 1978.I was in the centenary stand with my dad.The Copland was still being built.My dad insists we got beat and said I was a jinx.I don’t think we did I’m sure Colin Mcadam scored for thistle but can’t find anything on the game.
edit
Been looking on the internet and think it was March 78 and it was 2-1.Saying McDonald and Jardine scorers but that’s all I’ve got.I was sure Colin McAdam scores for thistle cause he gave us the fingers celebrating.As a 7 year old I was pretty shocked.:rolleyes: anyone help me out here?

Last edited:
Used to think it was Partick in the Glasgow Cup but went looking for the game on the net one day and that game wasn’t even played that season
I now can’t remember my first game lol.

Against Patrick Thistle 1978.I was in the centenary stand with my dad.The Copland was still being built.My dad insists we got beat and said I was a jinx.I don’t think we did I’m sure Colin Mcadam scored for thistle but can’t find anything on the game.
Was that the Glasgow cup by any chance.

Rangers 1-0 Aberdeen 25th November 1994 Friday night game. Aged 5.

Had to ask my dad that one.

Last edited:
3-1 v Partick April 1993. Me and my old man in the Broomloan Rear. McSwegan got 2, David Hagen 1 and Gerry Britton scored for Thistle.

Against Stirling Albion mid fifties, J Hubbard scored a penalty. As I had seen the famous Penalty king score I had to take every penalty at school for weeks.
We won but not sure of the score, will have to look it up.

Hibs 6- I. Stein hat trick. My old man who was died in the wool St, Mirren took me . He always said he lost me to the Gers that day. Everything about Ibrox was magic and to this day I still remember the smell in the main stand of fags and Bovril

Ian Durrant against the Sheep.
April 8th 1995.
Won 3-2.

Neil Murray put us 2 up, they clawed it back to 2-2 before Hateley won it for us.

Earliest clear memory Rangers 0 Airdrie 1 on the 26th April 1975. Reported as 65,000 but full house.

Score didn't really matter. I had been to games before going back to 1971, but this is the one that is my clearest early memory. Usually went into the Copland Road end, but my Dad and my Uncles had myself and my cousins safely tucked up the middle of the Centenary Stand right on the halfway line. I can recall it was party central with cans of Tenants lager with the "dolly birds" everywhere and empty half bottles of 100 Pipers being crushed underfoot.

I remember looking up at the Rangers end, and that memory stays with me. I was hooked. Around 20,000 bears on one massive slope singing Derrys Walls in unison.

That day we were celebrating, it was the last game of the season at home, we had already stopped Celtic's quest for 10 in a row.

My Dad and my Uncles as younger men had feasted on the Rangers team of the early 60's, a couple of them had been fortunate to have been in and around that squad, one of the best in Europe.

Despite coming close in Europe in 1967 and triumph in Barcelona in 1972, and the occasional domestic cup since 1965, the league in 1975 was massive for us.

Let's look forward to the end of the season next year when we shall write the next chapter in Rangers history books.

Last edited:
Hearts 1992 1-1 - Trophy night 1991/92

Was absolutely spellbound by the size of Ibrox that night, then the big airhorn they used to use as the emergency signal went and I was roaring and greeting and wanted to go home.

My dad had picked this game special for my first game so I would see Rangers lift a trophy and I ruined it. He didn't speak to me for a couple of days after that. Fortunately I think the game was live on STV that night so at least he got to see it. :oops:

Edit: My first game I sat through was the Ally Maxwell fiasco against Kilmarnock when Bobby Williamson scored in the 94th min.

I didn't go back til Advocaat's time.

*Help would be appreciated

Rangers 1 Motherwell 0 towards the end of a season in the late 80s. I barely remember it and my dad isn’t sure which particular season it was. Problem is that we beat Motherwell at home by that score in 87, 88 and 89 so I can’t pin it down.

Almost all I can remember is that in the second half we scored a goal that got chopped off not long before we got the winner. And, before the game The Kinks, All Day and All of the Night played on the tannoy before the game.

That and it felt like it took absolutely ages to walk towards and along Edmiston Drive to get to the stadium!

Rangers 1 St Mirren 0 John Greig with the winner, it was the week before the disaster, we were out on holiday from OZ my only recollection was how I loved the singing and how cold it was

Broomloan Front against Falkirk. Can’t mind the score 2-0 maybe. I mind my Dad taking me in really early what an amazing feeling it was seeing the stadium, pitch and the ground in all its splendour! had maybe 10k in it and him telling me that this was it! I remember being slightly disappointed briefly but then everyone started flooding in and I was absolutely buzzing. Will be about 25 odd years ago. I think it was one of laudrups first games possibly and he skint some boy at left corner flag, done a cruyff turn and nut megged the boy, just as he then untangled his legs the big man done it again and sent a cross in. That has stuck with me.

would love it if there was a clip of that

My mum took me to my first ever game at home to Airdrieonians on the 13th Feb 1993. We went up early to get tickets and and as we walked along the front of the main stand a guy appeared from an exit holding a clipboard. My mum asked him where she could get tickets for us and it was my first time. It turned out the fella was a supervisor meeting and greeting folk for the disabled area and said there was plenty of room in his area for us so he took us in with him. The match finished a 2-2 Draw with McCoist scoring a double. After the match we thanked the guy before we left and then he gave us 3 more tickets for the Scotland v Malta international friendly that midweek. :D

1986 against Aberdeen
Souness scored in of the post and the ball hardly crossed the line
Aberdeen players were going mental
I was only 14 and had drawn Souness on the sweepstake on the bus on the way to the game
Happy days

3rd May 1986. Against Motherwell. 2-0 McPherson and an Ally McCoist penalty.

This was Graeme Souness first game in charge. Ground was 3/4 empty. We were in the Copland Lower and I ran down to give Ally a high five when he scored (he did).

Was that the Glasgow cup by any chance.
It may well have been mate.I was only 7.I always thought it was a league game but you could be right.I can still remember my dad holding my hand and taking me into the old Rangers shop on the corner and it was mobbed.He got me a scarf that day and I’m sure it’s still in my dads house to this day.The noise and crowds scared the shit out me.I still get that buzz/excited feeling even now 43 years later stepping out the underground.

4-0 win v Hibs in 1990. Hateley with 2, Walters and Trevor Steven. All of the goals in the first half.

Details are a bit sketchy but according to my old boy I was about 18 months and it was against Hearts. I was then going regularly in the Centenary Stand (until it was restructured) with my piece and banana!

Rangers played Hearts in December ’78 at Ibrox in a 5-3 victory so I am pretty sure it was that game.

Jan 87 vs Aberdeen and the score was 0-0. Remember more about being sick several times the whole way from Belfast to Glasgow!

It may well have been mate.I was only 7.I always thought it was a league game but you could be right.I can still remember my dad holding my hand and taking me into the old Rangers shop on the corner and it was mobbed.He got me a scarf that day and I’m sure it’s still in my dads house to this day.The noise and crowds scared the shit out me.I still get that buzz/excited feeling even now 43 years later stepping out the underground.
Special club mate, memories that should last a life time but it appears I can’t remember mine!

First game at Ibrox early 90s with my uncle all i remember is we lost and he said i wasnt going with him again maybe against hibs or it was a European tie

A 2-0 win over Hearts around 1964/65, I believe. I remember them and Killie being our main challengers at that time, much more so than the poets.

Rangers 3 Hamilton 1 SC 3rd round January 1968. Ibrox was magnificent and to me as a nine year old it seemed that the Main stand was the largest and grandest building in the world.

I’d seen rangers at Bayview and starkspark. First time at Ibrox was Richard Gough testimonial v Arsenal. 3-0 to rangers, think it was Albertz first appearance at Ibrox, it might also have been Bergkamp first appearance for arsenal

My first Game was when my dad took me to the main stand at Ibrox on 25th September 1963 to see Rangers Versus Real Madrid in the European Cup. Unfortunately we lost 1-0 but what a game. I will always remember the huge crowd and atmosphere of over 80,000 fans. What a start for my support of Glasgow Rangers.

Late September 1979 against Dundee. In the East Enclosure. Don't remember much about the game tbh apart from the atmosphere we won 2-0 and both our goals were own goals!!!!!

Back