Your happiest football memory

Corkinator

I love nostalgia, I love football, so, I combined both to see what our happiest football memories are. I’ll caveat that with one Rangers memory and one other memory, mine are below.

82 World Cup, incredible memories and recollections of remarkable games.

20/21, 55 season, by far the greatest and most emotional league title I’ve ever felt in my 49 years.

what’s yours…?

Either my first old firm game (a win) or 2008 in Manchester (despite the result). Both great atmospheres and great days/nights with my old man.

Winning the league in 2011 and celebrating with my uncle in the local pub. Many factors there of course - the nature of the win and the game at Kilmarnock and also the familial closeness that has sadly since evaporated.

Before football was televised so much, 90 minutes sat glued to the folks 19oatcake record player come tapedeck come wireless type thing, European nights, up late on a school night until FT, scunnered to be sent to bed before highlights came on, top loader recording to watch highlights the next night, Steua Bucharest was a proper wireless memory.

I have so so many but my first happiest memory is the 8iar season then the 9iar. The nine in a row was bittersweet though as I was 12 years old and went to the motherwell game on the monday for us to be beaten 2-0. Was all hyped up to see us lift the trophy that day but was delayed to tannadice a few days later. Was ecstatic but gutted at the same time as I wasn’t there to see it lol.

the 2002 cup final, helicopter sunday, the whole build up to the uefa cup final (not the result) but the day out in Manchester was unreal. Last season will take a lot to beat aswell.

outside rangers it would probably be my local side ballymena winning their first major trophy in 21 years and the euro 2016 experience I had with Northern Ireland in france

1990 World Cup, first time I really fell in love with football beyond just Rangers. Everything was new to me and the way I related to it was just pure and a sense of awe. I was too young to be pissed off about any aspect of the game. The teams, the players, the anthems, the penalty shoot-outs, the strips, the haircuts, the stadiums, Italy, Nessun Dorma, it was all just magic to me.

Rangers 2020-21: much of the above also applies, with a few new items switched in. And also with a deep sense of vindication and vengeance, and a lot more appreciation for what football and our football club means than ever before.

Too many. From Archie Gemmil in 78 to David Neary in 82. From McCoist's Hatrick in 83? to Coopers free kick against the sheep.
Butcher's header at Pittodrie, Laudrups header for 9IAR, Novo against Fiorentina, Scott Mcdonald for helicopter Sunday. Albertz, Gazza...
The best ??.....Wee Defoe getting the 4rth. Said it all for me.

Great question...

Probably winning the league with an amateur team I played for

For rangers, actually has to be last season (and I'm in my mid 40s), but prior to admin, I just always expected us to win. After the last 10 years, listing to them go on about 10 in a row (and more), and then to wipe them with an invincible season (keep in mind we still had the smaller budget), and the euro run as well... Glorious

2016 Scottish cup semi penalties & my oldest sons first OF

Jack winner & my youngest first OF

me, 1987 skol cup final

And alfie v legia for all of us! Limbs!!

Great question...

Probably winning the league with an amateur team I played for

For rangers, actually has to be last season (and I'm in my mid 40s), but prior to admin, I just always expected us to win. After the last 10 years, listing to them go on about 10 in a row (and more), and then to wipe them with an invincible season (keep in mind we still had the smaller budget), and the euro run as well... Glorious
Oooh good shout, my sons team winning the under 9s league and him winning the golden gloves was absolutely incredible. I help coach them boys and I was totally blindsided lol

Too many. From Archie Gemmil in 78 to David Neary in 82. From McCoist's Hatrick in 83? to Coopers free kick against the sheep.
Butcher's header at Pittodrie, Laudrups header for 9IAR, Novo against Fiorentina, Scott Mcdonald for helicopter Sunday. Albertz, Gazza...
The best ??.....Wee Defoe getting the 4rth. Said it all for me.
How could a forget about the Scott McDonald one

Like most people on here , we have had many to choose from .
Florence I think must be up there .
But being in Aberdeen in the mid 80s and winning the league might be the one.
But I think it must be this year when we weren’t playing and I had to rescue my 2 sons from some gaff in Glasgow at 11 .30 at night after Dundee United had draw with the scum and my 20 year old son said to me , tell mum this is the greatest day of my life .
Scarf tied round his head and my other 23?year old bouncing off the walls
Championees Championees are we are we are we.

Playing for primary school team (im shite) in a cup semi final. accidentally wiped out opposition star player with a horrendously miss timed tackle on an ash park that sent him flying like Kevin keegan that time he fell off his bike on superstars. They folded and we won. The cup final was at Shawfield with nets in the goals for a change ! . I still remember walking home with my pals singing “ we’re going to win the cup”. That’s my happiest memory . Other than aribos goal against Braga, mccoists goal against Leeds, and that time Joey garner kicked Dougie Imrie right up the arse.

The 6-1 Dunfermline game, I seemed to be the only one round about me who had a grip of what was happening.
Helicopter Sunday. I was at Easter Rd. Knowing from the Hibs fans the Filth had scored, then nothing else. Us scoring, the 1-0 to us suiting both teams and then the reaction when Motherwell scored and again. The bus back and the detour to Ibrox and meeting my pal and going home and the atmosphere along PRW.

Helicopter Sunday.

Me and my flatmate who turned into a best mate (sadly no longer with us) listening to Clyde while we had a drink, a smoke and I played Champ Manager. Can remember us look at each other as (I'm sure it was) Peter Martin mentioned the second Motherwell goal and we both realised that we were Champions. Bouncing up and down, running about the flat going absolutely tonto.

Can remember it like yesterday.

Helicopter Sunday and Fiorentina 08 are 1 and 2 I think, but I think last season was the most enjoyable season I've ever had watching the team. We were simply sublime.

It genuinely helped me get through the Covid lockdowns, one of the most difficult periods of my life.

It was Easter Road 1975 until last season. Winning the League 2021 meant so much after what we had been through and will live with me forever.

Was listening to the Hibs v Rangers helicopter Sunday game on the radio. When I heard the roars of the Rangers fans in the background I've never experienced an instant natural high like that. I've been to many a game where I've sung my heart out and obviously been high on adrenaline but this was totally different as I wasn't expecting a positive outcome that day and when I heard the roars starting it was like flicking a switch from zero to maximum. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't get the smile off my face for ages and felt like I was physically floating. I remember saying to my dad how amazing it was that a football match could make a person feel this way. Suppose it's like anything in life, the more you invest in it emotionally the more you get back.

55 has to be one of the most significant titles for the club so it's up there for me, but was a more gradual build up, and a shame fans weren't allowed into games as it's hard to imagine how good it would have been.

1978 and 1982 World Cup finals for colour, spectacle, style of football, Scotland's involvement, and football being relatively new to me.

Too many other happy Rangers memories to mention.

Im 37 and I dont think Iv been happier more than the weekend in March winning the league, v St Mirren and them drawing the next day.

We won 9 IAR when I was young, and had some ups and downs during my teens and early 20s, from Helicopter Sunday 2005 to UEFA final 2008.

But I have had so many challenges and problems in the last 10 years and told myself that I wouldn't do anything to myself until we won 55.

Florence with our crowd who had done all the euro trips together was something

helicopter Sunday, being in the ground with boys from supporters club

beating Aberdeen at Ibrox to win the league on last game of the season, great memories of celebrating that with my dad, my first season with our season tickets together in the Copland, before that I’d been going into west enclosure with my uncle / random tickets from supporters bus

It was great enough at the time, but it means even more now that my Dad has passed away.

However, the way we ran to each other and cuddled at the car after Lovenkrands' last minute winner against the scum in the cup final will live with me forever.

Me and him were never particularly big "huggers" but that was one hell of a squeeze.
Been to near enough all our big games Trebles,9 in a row etc,not counting last year I'd have to say Lovenkrands last minute winner against them just shades it.

I love nostalgia, I love football, so, I combined both to see what our happiest football memories are. I’ll caveat that with one Rangers memory and one other memory, mine are below.

82 World Cup, incredible memories and recollections of remarkable games.

20/21, 55 season, by far the greatest and most emotional league title I’ve ever felt in my 49 years.

what’s yours…?
For us, likely last year. Never cried till 55 :shh: .

Agree on Spain 82. 9yrs old at the time and I don't think it has been eclipsed. So many classic matches.

A toss up between being at Easter Rd in 1975 or athe night we beat Bayern in the Semis of the ECWC.

If you twist my arm I’ll go for the former. Years of pent up frustration let loose by the Bears that day. I’ve never seen as many Pomange bottles before or since. It really was a party from 1st to last.

Im 37 and I dont think Iv been happier more than the weekend in March winning the league, v St Mirren and them drawing the next day.

We won 9 IAR when I was young, and had some ups and downs during my teens and early 20s, from Helicopter Sunday 2005 to UEFA final 2008.

But I have had so many challenges and problems in the last 10 years and told myself that I wouldn't do anything to myself until we won 55.
There’s more to come mate. Lots of good times ahead.

Too many, but Ian Durrant's goal away to Marseille allowed us to dream that little bit longer( I was especially delighted for him that he scored that goal); that season was my favourite, and SC Final win was a great game, especially Hateley's celebration. Gascoigne's hat-trick was a great memory, as was the 2002 SC Final. So many great memories.

7th March this year, wasn't that arsed but heard with a few minutes to go they weren't winning so stuck their game on, when it finished 0-0 I don't think I've felt a happiness like it. Years of shite over and we were on top again.

2012 Scottish cup final - better team by a mile behind twice somehow then first the captain stepped up with that free kick then the last kick of the ball winner - incredible

50 years of watching the teddy bears ..hundreds of great memories from when i was a wee boy going with my dad ..to taking my own son ..following in the footsteps

League cup final 83 McCoist hat trick, league clincher in Aberdeen 87 getting into the ground/pitch with a few minutes to go and the season just past has been the most emotional, still is B-) . And honourable mention to Raith Rovers beating them in the 94 cup final, top tier of the govan stand that day, quite close to the mhanky mob :)

FB-IMG-1621091761632-jpg-44e79d50bbdcfef544778f87de0b858b.jpg

^

I could post an in-depth reason and pitch it against all the other mind blowing memories as a fan but I'll just pick this ^

Our captain is one of the very few men who impress and inspire me in my own dealings with life. Walking away with that trophy says it all.

I really hope he enjoys next season and I hope Rangers and Gerrard fill the trophy room up. I have no doubt it'll be an amazing season, one that'll make the last nine years a little easier to stomach.

It's been an amazing ride as a Ranger.

Mexico 86 world cup. I remember wee bits from 82 but I was only 5 then. Come 86, football was everything. Watched every game that was on. Even cheered on Scotland. Watching maradona though. Wow.
Listening on the radio as we won our first title that I was aware of at pittodrie. I had only really known failure in the league until then.

The UEFA semi shootout for Manchester. What a night
55 obvs

Watching Maradona in the 86 World Cup was amazing..
Seen him destroy Scotland as a teenager at Hampden.
He was on a different planet.
Last year with Rangers was more a relief if im honest ,so up at Pittodrie to win first league in 9 years was a special day.
Was drunk for days and got chucked out by my ex.....happy days.

It has to be 55.

The weekend it was won will stay with me forever.

Lived through 9 in a row, trebles and great European nights but after what we've been through over the last ten years 55 tops the lot.

The manner in which we won the league last year is untouchable for me.

Rangers games I've attended: Too many to choose from. The semi final against Bayern; Tom Forsyth's winner; 16 year old Derek Johnstone heading the winner; Kai Johansen; watching Baxter.

Non Rangers is easy. Brazil 1970. Best I'll ever see.

Back