Your (realistic) managerial selection

OK so we never go foreign again?

Hey, i am not saying that at all. I am saying we were very patient with Pedro. I would go foreign again but it would need to be someone decent with a track record. I cant see GVB leaving Holland. Maybe someone older like Martin Jol or Dick Advocaat would take it for 18 months - steady the ship and command the players respect. Guys that have been there and done it.

So Micheal O'Neil current annual salary is £270,000, Chris Coleman is £220,000 and Derek McInnes is £300,000.

Rangers paid Pedro £800,000 a year and Warburton £600,000

Becoming Rangers manager is quite a jump for any of those 3 wages wise.

Rogers is meant to be on £2.4 million a year at Celtic. I guess that put it into context with investment for return. Pardew was on £1.5 million a season at Palace, doubt he would come up here for less

Interestingly Eddie Howe (£750,000) and Sean Dyce (£420,000) were on more modest wages in the EPL. I know its unlikely we could attract either but according to last year's salaries (they might have got better deals since) both would earn more coming to us

Michael O'Neil earns 500k per year. Dych is being linked with the Everton job which paid Koeman £6m per year. There is not a a chance in hell any manager will leave the EPL to come and manage in Scotland. They will view it as a huge step down due to the league we play in.

Hey, i am not saying that at all. I am saying we were very patient with Pedro. I would go foreign again but it would need to be someone decent with a track record. I cant see GVB leaving Holland. Maybe someone older like Martin Jol or Dick Advocaat would take it for 18 months - steady the ship and command the players respect. Guys that have been there and done it.

Advocaat lost the dressing room the last time he was here. His last 18 months were horrendous. He had us out the title race by Christmas two seasons in a row. Big Eck then came in and cleaned up his mess, winning the first five trophies available to him with pretty much the same squad of players. Advocaat is 70 years old and about to retire anyway.

Michael O'Neil earns 500k per year. Dych is being linked with the Everton job which paid Koeman £6m per year. There is not a a chance in hell any manager will leave the EPL to come and manage in Scotland. They will view it as a huge step down due to the league we play in.

O'Neil is still on less than he would get at Rangers

Salary wise it looks like coaches on £500-£800k are like project managers. McInnes, O'Neil etc would be projects/ a gamble

Over £1 million and you are looking at more experience and proven track record. Less risk?

Advocaat lost the dressing room the last time he was here. His last 18 months were horrendous. He had us out the title race by Christmas two seasons in a row. Big Eck then came in and cleaned up his mess, winning the first five trophies available to him with pretty much the same squad of players. Advocaat is 70 years old and about to retire anyway.

16 years ago. Advocaat has had a long career since. Sunderland wasn't great. But did ok i other jobs. He has had 5 appointments in the past 4 years though !

Jol might be worth a shout

Totally agree there... Just stating my choice as mcinnes is a choice who has been praised for his dealings with a smaller budget.. Ten hag built utrecht from the ground basically with a small budget aswell.. So with building competitive teams on small budgets both could be candidates... But as seen with managers before going from a smaller budget to a larger isn't always a recipe for success

Totally agree there... Just stating my choice as mcinnes is a choice who has been praised for his dealings with a smaller budget.. Ten hag built utrecht from the ground basically with a small budget aswell.. So with building competitive teams on small budgets both could be candidates... But as seen with managers before going from a smaller budget to a larger isn't always a recipe for success

The boy Potter in Sweden is an example of this too. Billy Reid is his assistant. Would be a huge gamble, but jeez arnt they all? No one was a bigger gamble than Pedro and we took that.

I worry that we are aiming 'meh' again. Pedro, Rowatt and McLeish seemed to be the 3 candidates in February. McInnes seems to be the stand out this time, with O'Neil maybe in and around the running too. Both are better than the options we considered last time

Had Pedro not gone out of Europe in a humiliating manner and lost the semi final he would still have a job. The reaction to the media was a lot of his own doing. I dont recall anyone doing 'the crazy foreigner' stuff when Advocaat was manager. Delia got a free ride till he lost to us then he got the Pedro treatment. Results matter and he lost two big ones as we have missed Europe and big days out at Hampden. Even though presided over an embarrassing home loss to Aberdeen, biggest ever home loss to Celtic and dressing room splits this season and last and wrote of last season by playing kids - i think had he made it to Euro 3rd qualifier and beat Motherwell we would have been patient.

I can't believe people have the brass neck to use the Aberdeen home game as a stick to beat Pedro.

He was sussing out a squad that had chucked it under Warburton, after about 15 minutes our back four was Tav, Aiden Wilson, Bates and Beerman. Have you ever seen such an inexperienced back line for us, ever ?

A narrow defeat at home to the messiah with the second best team in the league isn't too bad.

Truth of it is though Pedro took a team up to Pittodrie and spanked McInness' team 3 nil right on his own back yard, at a venue we have historically found difficult.

I can't believe people have the brass neck to use the Aberdeen home game as a stick to beat Pedro.

He was sussing out a squad that had chucked it under Warburton, after about 15 minutes our back four was Tav, Aiden Wilson, Bates and Beerman. Have you ever seen such an inexperienced back line for us, ever ?

A narrow defeat at home to the messiah with the second best team in the league isn't too bad.

Truth of it is though Pedro took a team up to Pittodrie and spanked McInness' team 3 nil right on his own back yard, at a venue we have historically found difficult.

Yeah ok, thats fair enough. Second string out that night. I dont believe for a sec the number of players 'injured' during that period though. He had guys available and chose not to play them that night (Halliday, Holt, MOH, Keirnan and Forrester)

The guy isn’t using losing to Dolly at home as a single stick to beat Caixinha with. Just one example among the many he lists.

Caixinha inherited a squad of duds and other than Aberdeen away he got nothing extra out of them. Results were actually worse under him.

He then built his own squad and results were still crap. The guy was a conman and his appointment shows up our board for what it is.

I'd like us to make an appointment that'd lift the fans and the dressing room. An appointment that'd do that would be costly if you go for an experienced named manager and financially I doubt we can afford to make such an appointment unfortunately. I'd like us to take a risk and appoint Steven Gerrard with an experienced assistant that knows Scottish football. As Gerrard is looking to cut his teeth in management I think he could be interested. The excitement an name like him would create would be awesome and I also think he'd command respect in the dressing room. Obviously an appointment like that won't happen but I think the club should look at a big name looking to get into management.

This is good post you do get the feeling Gerrard will do pretty well in management, never know but you would think so, probably isnt gonna happen after Pedro i cant see board wanting to take such a gamble but its an interesting one. Im sure he would take it if offered the job course he would.

The Gerrard idea is interesting - would make a big splash in the same way Souness did and if he had a top #2 who knew the Scottish game it could just work.

It would be a gamble but then what appointment isn’t ?

One guy who might be gettable is Eddie Howe - taken Bournemouth as far as he can and, like Dyche, possibly not foreign or famous enough for one of the big EPL clubs to take a chance on. Guys like him and Dyche are who we should be aiming at - we’re still a huge name and the attraction of regular European football and the chance to get us back to the top of the pile would surely be attractive.

The Gerrard idea is interesting - would make a big splash in the same way Souness did and if he had a top #2 who knew the Scottish game it could just work.

One guy who might be gettable is Eddie Howe - taken Bournemouth as far as he can and, like Dyche, possibly not foreign or famous enough for one of the big EPL clubs to take a chance on. Guys like him and Dyche are who we should be aiming at - we’re still a huge name and the attraction of regular European football and the chance to get us back to the top of the pile would surely be attractive.

Souness worked because as well as getting a rookie manager we also got a World class footballer.

And we could afford the England captain etc!

You'll get a roasting for suggesting them mate. I did earlier !

Gary Monk was available in the summer, think he would do a great job for us.

Watched a lot of his Leeds team last season and his setup would be perfect for SPFL.

Haven’t a clue whether he has expressed an interest or not but if he has, feel that we should talk things over with Gary McAllister. He is an intelligent guy. who has a good knowledge of the game and would likely be comfortable working with a DOF. Of course, there is an element of risk but McAllister would probably be no more of a risk than several others mentioned throughout this thread.

Henning Berg
Won the Polish league with Legia Warsaw in his first season, second season he came second and won the cup.Got them through the qualifiers for Europe both seasons.
Last season he was at Videoton and came second missing out of the league on the last day of the season.
He has played for us also so knows Scottish football.

I came in to this thread to post Henning Berg's name.

I think he's proved himself to be a good young manager and he will develop further. I also think he's a realistic target.

Haven’t a clue whether he has expressed an interest or not but if he has, feel that we should talk things over with Gary McAllister. He is an intelligent guy. who has a good knowledge of the game and would likely be comfortable working with a DOF. Of course, there is an element of risk but McAllister would probably be no more of a risk than several others mentioned throughout this thread.

McAllister as assistant to Stevie G - sorted

Back