Your (realistic) managerial selection

Don't think I have a preference from the likely candidates. I don't think Pardew should be considered, too much of a loose canon IMHO.

The delay in acting could suggest someone currently managing an international team and I've got a feeling we're after Coleman tbh.

Coleman & Oneil have done a brilliant job with Wales & Northern Ireland but at Club leval Coleman has been a journeyman and not a great record. Oneil hasn't managed anywhere near our leval so both are huge risks and cant see us going for them.

I have no idea which part of "we haven't interviewed anyone" people aren't getting.

Being interviewed officially and talks ongoing between different parties is different, but you do know that. It happens in football.

We'll probably have sent the feelers out to a good few.

From a source or just the rumour mill?

I personally would imagine McInnes would have more questions over his input alongside the DoF, going by the talk coming out about how involved he is in all aspects at the Sheep.

Not that he wouldn't question budgets, obviously he would, but my inkling is that it's the Head Coach-type role that would be grilled by him more.

Came second hand but from a source close to McInnes.

It's smart from him to be fair, he knows the script if he comes here and doesn't get the tools to compete with them then he's going to be onto plumbs given the expectation levels at the club.

McInnes or Tommy Wright imo. Would avoid getting someone in who hasn't managed in Scotland before, but that's just my opinion.

Being interviewed officially and talks ongoing between different parties is different, but you do know that. It happens in football.

We'll probably have sent the feelers out to a good few.

I do know that if McInnes is our number one target that statement was misleading in the extreme.

The insinuation certainly was that we are waiting on a manager to come available this week.

I don't believe for one second that McInnes has been offered the role and as such he would be in no position to accept when given budget assurances.

It's smart from him to be fair, he knows the script if he comes here and doesn't get the tools to compete with them then he's going to be onto plumbs given the expectation levels at the club.

He comes here and gets 3-4 mil like Warbs he is leaving a steady job to risk getting sacked from us if he doesn’t finish close to or ahead of Celtic.
I think the expectations from the board based on the funds they have/are providing are excessive.

Any manager coming into the Rangers job just now would be off their fcking head not to want very clear and strong assurances about the resources and backing they can expect.

The demands are astronomical and any hint of failure is not going to be tolerated, particularly after MW and PC.

No matter how enticing our supporters think the role is, anyone with half a brain wouldn't put themselves in the firing line for it if they weren't being given a realistic chance of achieving it.

I do know that if McInnes is our number one target that statement was misleading in the extreme.

The insinuation certainly was that we are waiting on a manager to come available this week.

I don't believe for one second that McInnes has been offered the role and as such he would be in no position to accept when given budget assurances.

One thing that you can be sure of with regards to a new manager no one on here has any idea what's going on several threads before this have proven it 100%.

Even the people who normally get info have admitted it's water tight.

He comes here and gets 3-4 mil like Warbs he is leaving a steady job to risk getting sacked from us if he doesn’t finish close to or ahead of Celtic.
I think the expectations from the board based on the funds they have/are providing are excessive.

Indeed.

Taking the Sunderland job looked like a no brainer on paper. Leaving Aberdeen after a phenomenal season last time out, which he would struggle to top for a club just dropping out of the EPL with a massive fan base etc.

He obviously done his due diligence and knocked it back due to the cost cutting that was forthcoming at Sunderland and he was caught out the last time at Bristol City with it.

Which shows he's highly regarded as a coach. Did he not get Pisa promoted?

He had a fairly poor record with Pisa in Serie B - albeit under very difficult financial conditions. I think his appointment at Milan is more of a symbolic thing rather than a reflection of his coaching abilities.
Like I say, I love the guy, he's one of my all time favourite players but don't think he's what we need at the moment.

Indeed.

Taking the Sunderland job looked like a no brainer on paper. Leaving Aberdeen after a phenomenal season last time out, which he would struggle to top for a club just dropping out of the EPL with a massive fan base etc.

He obviously done his due diligence and knocked it back due to the cost cutting that was forthcoming at Sunderland and he was caught out the last time at Bristol City with it.

Derek isn’t stupid you don’t risk a steady job to take an impossible one just because the wage is bigger, as you will lose it very soon.
If he come here to us that would make me think some assurances were given to him and that would be reassuring.
It is then up to Derek to step up and show how good a manager he is. Get it right he becomes a Rangers hero and the over used word, Legend.

If he refuses the job I would find that very worrying no matter who took the job next.

Perhaps he's not been offered the job but has had early communication around the prospect, during which he has sought assurances about the budget?

It doesn't mean he's been offered it, simply that he's asking questions as part of the scoping process on both ends.

Derek isn’t stupid you don’t risk a steady job to take an impossible one just because the wage is bigger, as you will lose it very soon.
If he come here to us that would make me think some assurances were given to him and that would be reassuring.
It is then up to Derek to step up and show how good a manager he is. Get it right he becomes a Rangers hero and the over used word, Legend.

If he refuses the job I would find that very worrying no matter who took the job next.

Agree with that. Deep down he will be hurting just like us all as he's a fan as well but if he was to knock it back, it doesn't bode well for our chances in the next couple of seasons.

Jobbers like McLaren etc don't give a f*ck and just see it as another wage on their managerial merry go round.

I hope you’re patient.

The board keep fecking up the football decisions the anger will be directed away from the manager(s) they appoint and it will be directed at them.
That announcement was just confirmation of their ineptitude and that is very worrying to me, I am sick of these scum winning the league.

I still have not come up with one yet.

Can think of 50 plus managers, realistic and unrealistic and not many appeal to me for numerous reasons.

Sherwood, McClaren, Nielson, Freedman, McLeish, Wright, Ross, Monk, Rowett, Pardew, Bilic, Coleman, O’Neill, McDermott, Curbishley, Ferguson, Grayson, Neil, Warnock, Redknapp, Bowyer, Hughes, Pulis, Ranieri, Laudrup, Di Matteo, Poyet, Advocaat, De Boer, Sousa, Stam, GvB, Veh, Preud’homme, Rangnick, Jol, Magath, Rosler, Schreiber, Karanka, Jonker... it’s endless.

We can’t afford or attract a Tuchel, Ancelotti, Blanc, Wagner, Koeman, Dyche, Howe, Benitez, Enrique... or the likes.

A Viera or Arteta lack experience. Erik Ten Hag, Barak Bakhar, Silva at Hull, Ralph Hasenhuttl, Slaviša Jokanović... would be interesting appointments, but would they be interested?

As I said, no number one or preferred man and for that reason I’m warming more to Derek McInnes.

Plenty pros to back him up;

Knows the Scottish game.

Knows what Rangers are all about.

Took over an Aberdeen side that was going nowhere and made them 2nd best.

Respected, handles the media and press well.

Put a squad together, saw it taken apart, rebuilt it and still hit the ground running.

Many current/ex players rate and talk highly of him.

Good man manager.

He’s improved the likes of a Christie, Jack, Shinnie, Rooney, Logan, McLean, McGinn... so the ability to get the best out of players is there.

Not scared to turn to youths.

His Aberdeen side goes on winning runs, gets the job done.

He’s made mistakes and turned it around the next week. Ability to learn from mistakes.

He wins football matches on a shoe string budget compared to the likes of us and the bheggars.

You can talk about how he failed to win the league when Ronny Delia was in charge of the bheggars but they still had a Lustig, Griffiths, Armstrong, van Djik, Roberts, Brown, the two foreign CB’s who, Izaguirre... Aberdeen didn’t have the same quality of players possessing the same winning mentality.

He’s obviously got cons, but so does an Ancelotti, Guardiola, Mourinho and Klopp.

Any appointment is a gamble. We’ll see what the board come up with.

It’s some challenge!

Perhaps he's not been offered the job but has had early communication around the prospect, during which he has sought assurances about the budget?

It doesn't mean he's been offered it, simply that he's asking questions as part of the scoping process on both ends.

I think this sums it up and I've heard myself this is the reason for delay , no credible source just on the grapevine .

It actually reassures me that mcinnes has done this and knocking back Sunderland proves he is shrewd in that regard.

Whether he can work with our DOF is another matter entirely .

Admin - can you set a side a thread for posts that have something NEW to input rather than regurgitating speculative and so called ITK tripe :)

Incredibly, even at this late stage of the game there's still not ONE outstanding candidate.

Kilmarnock hired Steve Clarke and yet we're considering profiles - more or less - at the same level.

Can we pull a rabbit out of the hat as Killie and Ross County did?

Incredibly, even at this late stage of the game there's still not ONE outstanding candidate.

Kilmarnock hired Steve Clarke and yet we're considering profiles - more or less - at the same level.

Can we pull a rabbit out of the hat as Killie and Ross County did?

we are reaching the tipping point, no doubts at all.

Fans will say either gets this sorted now and get McInnes in....or we understand you are taking your time but you better get us a big name to match up against Celtic or else.

There's no middle ground on this call. The board will be fretting.

Admin - can you set a side a thread for posts that have something NEW to input rather than regurgitating speculative and so called ITK tripe :)

I'd take some time off the forum if I was you. General discussion, debate and rumours is the order of the day and what it's for.

If you only want the hard facts once they're known, stick to the official club website.

Fans will say either gets this sorted now and get McInnes in....or we understand you are taking your time but you better get us a big name to match up against Celtic or else.

Of the names mentioned, McInnes is my choice.

But we should have a far better quality shortlist.

Yes i have but i would imagine, and call me crazy here but McInnes would have a clause in his individual contract of employment that would prevent him from applying for vacant jobs. That's a clause i would expect us to have with any manager.

I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Mibbe I’m just cynical, but I can’t see that stopping him...

Hibs, Ross County and Kilmarnock brought in managers who have much higher profiles than McInnes, surely we are aiming for something game changing? Never thought i would see Lennon, Coyle or Clarke managing those clubs in the SPFL. We are Scotland's biggest club, after Pedro we deserve something better

Spot on, could Keomon or Gio win the league or beat Celtic if they where in charge of the sheep? Don’t think so, kinda kills the argument.
That doesn’t automatically make Del Boy a better or equal quality manager though.

Aberdeen spent next to nothing this season after Jack, Hayes and McGinn go, three of their 4 best players.
We spend close to 10 mill and are still behind them. Out spent them last season and they were well ahead of us.
Players wages still low while Celtic are paying many of their team around 20k a week

Yet you expect them to beat Celtic for the title, that is just crazy.
Whilst I expected them to improve & at least have a go, I did not realistically expect them to beat celtic to the title, no. Sadly, neither did Derek, that is the problem. Everyone raves how good a job he has done going from mid table to then beating Motherwell and into 2nd. That is Aberdeen and McInnes's comfort zone. I am glad we have such inspiring targets for our club. Mind you, I do think McInnes has more chance of an spl title than Palace have of pipping city. But even Liecester won the league a couple years ago.

I see you conveniently ignored the part in my post you replied to where it is obvious that less fashionable clubs with a lot less money and so called journeymen managers equalled McInnes's wonderful league cup achievement or surpassed it in the Scottish cup. Derek McInnes has 1 major attribute going for him, he is a bluenose who played for us. Look at his managerial record and he is not really a contender. Sadly, he may well be the best we can get at this time.

If appointed, I will support him 100% as usual though and sincerely hope he can raise his level.

Of the names mentioned, Preud’homme is the one I'd go for.

We cannot just chop and change manager every year or two mate . We need stability just now , a manager who could be here for a good few years . We want to avoid becoming like the Yahoos i the 90s . I've nothing against proud home but he seems really eccentric with the hangdog look, frazzled hair and wild staring eyes, I think he would not be a good appointment at this stage . Just too risky .

Genuine question, not trying to pick an arguement. Can someone articulate why managers that have shown themselves to be solid technicians at international level and have displayed sound man management skills in creating almost a club like togetherness, with there respective international teams, cannot be considered to do a job for us at SPFL club level. Perfect examples of course being O’Neil and Coleman. I keep reading there’s a huge difference between doing well at international level and doing well at club level. But no one ever articulates why or what that practically looks like. For example, if someone can display clear tactical ability at international level, why would that be weakened, by getting more time with players on a day to day basis. The same with clear man management ability at international level. Why does that weaken by being with players on a day to day basis.

I think the role of an international manager is more of an ‘inspirational figurehead’ that can have the respect of a squad of players that only occasionally get together. They don’t necessarily have to be good on tactics, fitness training, man management. I’d say it’s more of a honorary role than anything actually meaningful. Basically pick your country’s best players, be organised, get them briefed, and stick them on the park.
I honestly cannot think of anyone you’d genuinely class as a brilliant international manager.

Club management is much more involved, nuanced and involves all of those aspects I mentioned above.

I agree with this.

With this delay it better be for a highly rated manager, not bloody O Neill or Coleman.

Still think we had the right idea going foreign last time....just the wrong person. In order of preference-
Berg
Ten Hag
Billic

FF isn't Nazi Germany mein friend.

Admin make Kim Jong Un look like a little liberal. ;)

My wish for Rangers manager is a non Scot, keech at all levels in the game near enough.

Our mentality much change, constant failings and never any real improvement/development.

Erik Ten Hag

Gio Van B

Martin Jol

I think the role of an international manager is more of an ‘inspirational figurehead’ that can have the respect of a squad of players that only occasionally get together. They don’t necessarily have to be good on tactics, fitness training, man management. I’d say it’s more of a honorary role than anything actually meaningful. Basically pick your country’s best players, be organised, get them briefed, and stick them on the park.
I honestly cannot think of anyone you’d genuinely class as a brilliant international manager.

Club management is much more involved, nuanced and involves all of those aspects I mentioned above.
Your obviously not a fan of international football. But

So Scottish football is more tactical than international football?

Derek McInnes.

I would absolutely love to see the list of names that were sent in as CVs. I think it would horrify us though.

Henning Berg
Won the Polish league with Legia Warsaw in his first season, second season he came second and won the cup.Got them through the qualifiers for Europe both seasons.
Last season he was at Videoton and came second missing out of the league on the last day of the season.
He has played for us also so knows Scottish football.
I was about to dismiss this as rubbish, but it's actually not a bad shout in all honesty.

I will take whoever they choose.

The managerial merry ground has to stop though, it has to have an impact on the playing side.
New clear out every year and we will get nowhere.

Make a good choice Rangers.

The problem is we're making bad choices. If we hired a good manager there wouldn't be a merry-go-round.

Back