Your (realistic) managerial selection

I'd like us to make an appointment that'd lift the fans and the dressing room. An appointment that'd do that would be costly if you go for an experienced named manager and financially I doubt we can afford to make such an appointment unfortunately. I'd like us to take a risk and appoint Steven Gerrard with an experienced assistant that knows Scottish football. As Gerrard is looking to cut his teeth in management I think he could be interested. The excitement an name like him would create would be awesome and I also think he'd command respect in the dressing room. Obviously an appointment like that won't happen but I think the club should look at a big name looking to get into management.

MPH for me.

The man who said 'If I was 10 years younger I would stay with Club Brugge. I have been in football 40 years. I need a rest'.

We'd also need to buy out the 2 years he has remaining on his contract with Club Brugge.

He certainly has an impressive CV but, for me, that doesn't sound like the man we need at the Rangers helm.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...-for-michel-preud-homme-as-new-boss-1-4599824

McInnes is the 'pragmatic' appointment. GvB, in the unlikely event we could tempt him, is the only candidate I've seen rumoured who would have virtually universal backing from the fans right from the off. One of those , I'd say, is far more likely than the other.

I doubt there are any 'new' names going to leap out where we all get excited and say "Yup! That's the man".

GVB or McInnes for me as things stand (I really can't decide which order they should be in though - I am coming round to the idea of D.McI. On the other hand I can't shake the idea of being more excited by our former Dutchman).

None of the other names have really made me sit up and take notice.

Whilst I expected them to improve & at least have a go, I did not realistically expect them to beat celtic to the title, no. Sadly, neither did Derek, that is the problem. Everyone raves how good a job he has done going from mid table to then beating Motherwell and into 2nd. That is Aberdeen and McInnes's comfort zone. I am glad we have such inspiring targets for our club. Mind you, I do think McInnes has more chance of an spl title than Palace have of pipping city. But even Liecester won the league a couple years ago.

I see you conveniently ignored the part in my post you replied to where it is obvious that less fashionable clubs with a lot less money and so called journeymen managers equalled McInnes's wonderful league cup achievement or surpassed it in the Scottish cup. Derek McInnes has 1 major attribute going for him, he is a bluenose who played for us. Look at his managerial record and he is not really a contender. Sadly, he may well be the best we can get at this time.

If appointed, I will support him 100% as usual though and sincerely hope he can raise his level.
You also fail to mention that these clubs that win finals have been to one final very few semi-finals so could be put down to luck of the draw or name was on the cup , the sheep have been to 4/5 semi finals 3/4 finals (I’m not going back to check) as well as finishing 2 nd by a mile every bar his first year where a dodge ref cost them on the last minute of the last game funny yes but true
You also don’t mention that he won the championship with st Johnstone and the challenge cup and took them to a few semi finals and top 6 in fact loads of his players were still in the st j team that won the cup
Don’t bother with the did he win it though stuff I think palace v Man City answers that but I’m glad you would support him if he came in

Billic is a good example of people being swayed purely because he's foreign.

His management career in many ways mirrors Coleman's yet people would be raging if we appointed him.

Your obviously not a fan of international football. But

So Scottish football is more tactical than international football?

I would say the managers role has much more importance at club level. Without a doubt.

International managers get a match-ready group of players who are fit and (mostly) in form.

I really think it is much more about motivation and organisation, and letting a team ‘pick itself’ at that level.

I don’t see that much of a crossover to club management.
I can easily name tens of amazing brilliant club managers who can make an obvious impact on their sides. I would struggle to name more than a handful of international managers who I could say the same about.

Billic is a good example of people being swayed purely because he's foreign.

His management career in many ways mirrors Coleman's yet people would be raging if we appointed him.

One I dont get is FDB. Spent a relative fortune compared to what he would get here and has failed twice. He really really wouldnt be a good fit for us just now but people have their heart set on him.

I am trying to look at this from the perspective of hiring a senior executive,which is what the Manager would be. If you don't know one personally who ticks all your boxes then you hire a Headhunter or advertise and then take your time in picking the right man. The Board seem to be going the second route as everyone, according to rumor,has applied.

He will need:

Proof of winning Championships/Cups
Experience
Ability to deal with a hostile Press
Good Man Management
Good Communicator
Knowledge of tough leagues
Cool when dealing with unfair decisions by Officials.

Looking at that list, His birthday will be next month but in His place,

Sir Alex Ferguson

That doesn’t automatically make Del Boy a better or equal quality manager though.
Absolutely not for me it’s about who will get the players on board and buying into it. I didn’t want DMcI but can’t disagree that he in theory should get us a good second and a good platform to build on.

McInnes for me. I think practically everyone on here thinks he would get us atleast second if appointed and it would be a sickener for the sheep (added bonus). Questions remain on whether he could challenge sellick in the long term but I'd give him a shot.

My brother in law and Uncle were at the Legends game yesterday and went for a beer afterwards with Novo etc.

I text them this morning and asked if they had asked around to see if they had heard who our manager was going to be.

Both replied saying none of them had a Scooby and nothing is being 'leaked' at all from inside Ibrox.

Think that goes along with Suck's posts in the summer that out board are as tight as a drum when it comes to releasing Info.

Gio
McInness,
Michael O'Neill.

I would take any of those three.

They'd be my preferred three in that order.

Gio because I think he'd unite the fans more than anyone mentioned. Hate the awful word "realistic". We are Rangers. Any manager at any level would be lucky to lead our great club.

Mcinnes because he's done well at Aberdeen and he's made them better than anyone in this league bar that lot. He's done it with a fraction of that lots budget.

Michael O Neill because he's taken an international team from barely in top 100 to the top 20. Sensational job. He'd get the best out of players at the club and make us difficult to beat.

Chris Coleman last match tomorrow. Friday's statement might allude to someone like him. Semi final of the Euros is his career highlight and galvanising an average team - albeit with one world class player at his disposal. Coleman is more likely on the Scotland manager job list, after O'Neil. Club career is average, impressive with Fulham TBH he took them to 9th in EPL and kept them up each season after despite having all his best players sold from under him. Real Sociadad, Coventry and the spell in Greece were all with basket case clubs and short lived spells

Someone posted Stevie G, massive gamble. But if he had the likes of Alex Miller and Gary McAllister as sounding boards it might be ok. It would defo capture the imagination. Souness was another era and apart from him and Dalglish (maybe Giles too) i cant think of another successful player manager at a big club? So massive gamble

I wouldn't be upset with McInnes, he would need time though. O'Neil or Coleman wouldn't bother me either. Pardew is probably the best bet short term with Murty as Number 2

So the title says realistic and we have posters mentioning FDB, GVB, Bilic & Allardyce etc :rolleyes:

I think GvB is 'realistic' in terms of what we could pay him, for example. The stumbling block with him is that he currently manages his boyhood team and has taken them to their first title in 17 years or so.

It's highly unlikely - but, as I and others have said, he would certainly be the 'unity' candidate.

The rest you mention I either wouldn't touch with a bargepole or wouldn't want us to pay what they'd be looking for (Allardyce!).

It should have been McInnes in March and I'd bet there's a few on the board regretting the last gamble with Pedro, and they'll regret it again if it isn't McInnes this time.

You also fail to mention that these clubs that win finals have been to one final very few semi-finals so could be put down to luck of the draw or name was on the cup , the sheep have been to 4/5 semi finals 3/4 finals (I’m not going back to check) as well as finishing 2 nd by a mile every bar his first year where a dodge ref cost them on the last minute of the last game funny yes but true
You also don’t mention that he won the championship with st Johnstone and the challenge cup and took them to a few semi finals and top 6 in fact loads of his players were still in the st j team that won the cup
Don’t bother with the did he win it though stuff I think palace v Man City answers that but I’m glad you would support him if he came in
Of course I will support him if he comes in. Crap track record or not. Fact is he fluked a league cup, because of a dodgy ref decision on a par with the 3rd in the league one you mention, and has won nothing else as a manager. Zilch. But, you say, he won the championship & challenge cup with St J? Ok.

I will support him, but his qualifications are the same as mine. We have been forced to accept mediocrity for too long.

So the title says realistic and we have posters mentioning FDB, GVB, Bilic & Allardyce etc :rolleyes:
I would say that Bilic and Allardyce would be unrealistic due to moneu but not the other two. FDB has been a failure at the last two clubs and will need to build his reputation back up, GVB has done well in Holland but not so much that he will get top clubs from Europe approaching him.

You could just have quoted me instead of using a snide emoji btw.

GvB for me, McInness can’t beat Ceptic and has a win ratio on a par with Pedro, but had more time to build his team
Im not advocating McInnes here - but to be fair to him he is operating on a much lower budget than we are! and I you can't take it away from him he has consistantly put a decent team on the park for 3-4 seasons now. They have only paid money for few players...Kenny Mclean for £280,000 almost all other players are free.

All logic still points to McInnes.

He was the obvious choice last time round and the board made a complete mess of things by appointing Caixinha.

We cannot afford to get it wrong again. McInnes is our man!

Of course I will support him if he comes in. Crap track record or not. Fact is he fluked a league cup, because of a dodgy ref decision on a par with the 3rd in the league one you mention, and has won nothing else as a manager. Zilch. But, you say, he won the championship & challenge cup with St J? Ok.

I will support him, but his qualifications are the same as mine. We have been forced to accept mediocrity for too long.
Haha you are entitled to your opinion

Derek McInnes who should have got the job instead of Warburton however the likelihood is getting less and less.

He should have been approached by the board three weeks ago. A disgraceful set of affairs.

Last edited:
Absolutely not for me it’s about who will get the players on board and buying into it. I didn’t want DMcI but can’t disagree that he in theory should get us a good second and a good platform to build on.
Some of the alternatives suggested are worrying, so unless it’s a nice surprise, I’m prepared to accept McInnes.

The floor is yours:

I'd be happy with Derek McInnes or Alan Pardew in the current circs.
Erik ten hag for me.. It would be naive to turn down a coach due to nationality.. Not everyone is a caixinha.. We can't just accept an easier option due to someone being Scottish and an ex player..

Managers like pochettino wouldn't have been given the patience of fans or time at rangers due to it that's why we won't ever see a good European coach cause the media and lack of patience would have them slated after a few bad results.

I will along with the rest of us accept mcinnes if it's him but why not give a European coach who is thought highly off a chance.

Decent thread this so far.

Mcinnes for me.

GvB I would be intrigued about, my worry with him is that they seem to have tailed off after his initial impact. 6th in league currently.

O'Neil has moved in the betting. If he can manage Northern Ireland why not us?

Having a quick look on transfermrkt, there seems to be a lack of real other contenders. Its either cheque book managers or mid table managers from france, spain and Germany.

We need a certain type of character who understands the challenge.

You know what though, if you actually said we could have any manager in the world and we could afford their wages, but they would have to work within our expected signings budgetor scouting list, I would really struggle to pick who would be best fit.

Erik ten hag for me.. It would be naive to turn down a coach due to nationality.. Not everyone is a caixinha.. We can't just accept an easier option due to someone being Scottish and an ex player..

Managers like pochettino wouldn't have been given the patience of fans or time at rangers due to it that's why we won't ever see a good European coach cause the media and lack of patience would have them slated after a few bad results.

I will along with the rest of us accept mcinnes if it's him but why not give a European coach who is thought highly off a chance.

Had Pedro not gone out of Europe in a humiliating manner and lost the semi final he would still have a job. The reaction to the media was a lot of his own doing. I dont recall anyone doing 'the crazy foreigner' stuff when Advocaat was manager. Delia got a free ride till he lost to us then he got the Pedro treatment. Results matter and he lost two big ones as we have missed Europe and big days out at Hampden. Even though presided over an embarrassing home loss to Aberdeen, biggest ever home loss to Celtic and dressing room splits this season and last and wrote of last season by playing kids - i think had he made it to Euro 3rd qualifier and beat Motherwell we would have been patient.

This McInnes knows the league nonsense is beginning to grind my gears.

What did Rodgers know when he came ? Hee haw,

We should be aiming not just for success in Scotland but a bit of ambition in Europe, what has McInnes done in that arena ?

Had Pedro not gone out of Europe in a humiliating manner and lost the semi final he would still have a job. The reaction to the media was a lot of his own doing. I dont recall anyone doing 'the crazy foreigner' stuff when Advocaat was manager. Delia got a free ride till he lost to us then he got the Pedro treatment. Results matter and he lost two big ones as we have missed Europe and big days out at Hampden. Even though presided over an embarrassing home loss to Aberdeen, biggest ever home loss to Celtic and dressing room splits this season and last and wrote of last season by playing kids - i think had he made it to Euro 3rd qualifier and beat Motherwell we would have been patient.
OK so we never go foreign again?

We should be aiming not just for success in Scotland but a bit of ambition in Europe, what has McInnes done in that arena ?

Ok so we've established who you don't want. Who realistically do you want?

The mcinnes lovers will have you for that mate... Could not agree more

So Micheal O'Neil current annual salary is £270,000, Chris Coleman is £220,000 and Derek McInnes is £300,000.

Rangers paid Pedro £800,000 a year and Warburton £600,000

Becoming Rangers manager is quite a jump for any of those 3 wages wise.

Rogers is meant to be on £2.4 million a year at Celtic. I guess that put it into context with investment for return. Pardew was on £1.5 million a season at Palace, doubt he would come up here for less

Interestingly Eddie Howe (£750,000) and Sean Dyce (£420,000) were on more modest wages in the EPL. I know its unlikely we could attract either but according to last year's salaries (they might have got better deals since) both would earn more coming to us

GvB for me, McInness can’t beat Ceptic and has a win ratio on a par with Pedro, but had more time to build his team

"McInnes can't best Ceptic" do you expect him to be beating them when he is manager at the sheep? Or are you saying Rangers are on par with the sheep so you don't think he will beat them with us?

Back