Your very first Rangers game

Bobby Russell's Perm

I think my earliest memory of seeing Rangers live was in 1973. Hearts at home and I was in the Centenary Stand.
It got me thinking of how many different age groups on FF.
And the year 2070 seems away in the future but it’s closer to us all than when The Beatles split, the fantastic Brazil WC team dismantling Italy in Mexico and Simon & Garfunkel’s Bridge Over Troubled Water was released…..wow that’s scary!!!

March 1st, 1961 for me. A momentous day for me but not a happy memory. We lost 2-5 at Ibrox, in front of 80,000, to a Motherwell team with Ian St John leading the line. It was a Scottish Cup replay.

I remember my Auntie taking me along, even though it was midweek and a school night, standing down at the front of the Copland Road end by the old scoreboards, her buying me a Rangers poster for my bedroom wall - and getting hit by a pie thrown by an irate Bear. Nothing at all about the game.

An inauspicious start - and I feared I might be a jinx - things did get better though.;)

We've plenty on here who's first game goes back (much) further though.

Last edited:
Souness' first season. Rangers were on a good run so my auld boy thought it would be a good time to get me into it.

Motherwell scored in the last minute and won 1-0

He got me a season ticket the following season so obviously didnt think I was that much of a jinx! Still in the same seat now

Rangers v China National XI.

11th August 1982.

Remember sitting in Govan Rear, not a million miles away from where I sit 39 years later.

Crowds are a bit better these days, at least they soon will be fingers crossed.

Had been took to a good few reserve games. First first team game was against Dundee Utd 1985 think we won 1-0

I can’t remember year but I’m almost certain it was against Falkirk and we drew 2-2. Might have been some form of debut for Laudrup? Either home debut or first game. I remember him doing a cruyff turn at the corner flag maybe twice in quick succession and maybe 2nd one megs the defender and thinking this guy is my hero! Would love if some bears remember this game more vividly than me and that moment? Remember my Dad taking me in early to the stadium (Copland end) and aside from being blown away/goosebumps felt underwhelmed at the lack of crowd and him winding me up that “this is it son”! Then everyone started pouring in and once the 50k were there remember feeling part of something.

4-0 win v Hibs in November 1990. I was in the Copland Rear and all 4 goals were scored in the first half at the Broomie end.

Caledonian F.C v Rangers​

Billy Urquhart Testimonial 29.7.1992
0-5
Rangers Goalscorers, Ferguson (2), McSwegan, Rideout, Spencer
Attendance 6,000.

The Rangers Team
Maxwell, Murray, Vinnicombe, Reid, Pressley, Kuznetsov, L Robertson, I Ferguson, McSwegan, Spencer, Rideout
Substitutes Used, Hagen, Watson, Walker, Smith​

Rangers v Dundee at Ibrox. We got beat 2-3 and I think it must have been nearly 50 years ago. Next one was a few years later and we beat Montrose 5-0 at Ibrox.

I can’t remember year but I’m almost certain it was against Falkirk and we drew 2-2. Might have been some form of debut for Laudrup? Either home debut or first game. I remember him doing a cruyff turn at the corner flag maybe twice in quick succession and maybe 2nd one megs the defender and thinking this guy is my hero! Would love if some bears remember this game more vividly than me and that moment? Remember my Dad taking me in early to the stadium (Copland end) and aside from being blown away/goosebumps felt underwhelmed at the lack of crowd and him winding me up that “this is it son”! Then everyone started pouring in and once the 50k were there remember feeling part of something.
We drew 1-1 with Falkirk that season at home. Was a good bit into the season aswell if I remember right.

Laudrups league debut was a 2-1 home win against Motherwell

Clydebank v Rangers

Last ever game at Kilbowie Park. Not long after my 6th birthday and we won 3-2. Defining memory was folk ripping up the place for “mementos” at FT B-D
That was a testimonial game for Ken Eadie mate Clydebank’s last ever competitive match at kilbowie was against Hamilton in 1996.

Red Star Belgrade vs Rangers in 1990 - I would have been 7 is my earliest memory of being at a game.

Panchev Scored for Red Star and Super scored for us - but we got scudded 3:0 away from home and went out.

Scottish Cup Final May 1981 0-0 with Dundee United. Sat in the old stand at the back of the North Terracing.

Was a poor game, United were the better side. Ian Redford missed a pen at the end of normal time and the extra 30 mins put paid to my hopes of catching the 5.10 train back to London

August 1991, 6-0 v St Johnstone. Walking up the stairs to the East Enclosure and looking at the pitch for the first time was awesome.

Queens Park at Ibrox. Think was 1969. Glasgow Cup. Won 2-0. Dennis Setterington scored one of the goals. Gerry Neef had to go off. Someone stood on his hand and Colin Stein went in goal.

Tam Forsyth Testimonial vs Swansea 27th March 1983
6-3 thriller
Derek Ferguson off the bench for his "debut"
Tam scored the last

Rangers vs Hearts. Can’t remember when it was but the club deck wasn’t open but nearly built. I know we won but the score evades me. I do remember getting a Blue Nose Burger and a packet of Aye Ready salted crisps at 1/2 time. I would have been around 8 or 9 so possibly 1991.

I genuinely have no idea what my first game was. It'd have been around 1984 or 85.

I know the first game I was "technically at" was one of Davie Cooper's first for Rangers in a pre-season friendly in the highlands in the summer of 1977. I was a 5 month old feotous at the time! :D

Rangers vs Famagusta 24.08.05
@ClarkBlue72
I got on the pitch at halftime that game, our gran won a competition in the paper where you got to do a bit of training before the game then go on the pitch at halftime and do some mini training drills if I can recall correctly, I was 9 at the time, really cool first experience, hooked on rangers after that

In the Main Stand as SAF's sheep team pumped us 3-0. Despite the result I couldn't wait to get back again.

10th November 1973 v Morton. John Greig got the only goal of the game.

The attendance is only listed as 20,000. I know this was at the arse end of a 9IAR streak for the Tims, but it's still surprisingly low.

Laudrup first goal came against Falkirk, a 2-1 defeat at home in the League Cup. It was quite early in the season, not long after we went out against AEK Athens in Europe

Maybe this game?

The April 74, home tie with Dundee in the Scottish cup, It was a Sunday and I believe the first ever Sunday game. My old man worked on Saturdays.

Got beat 3-0 from memory

Caledonian F.C v Rangers​

Billy Urquhart Testimonial 29.7.1992​

0-5​

Rangers Goalscorers, Ferguson (2), McSwegan, Rideout, Spencer​

Attendance 6,000.​

The Rangers Team​

Maxwell, Murray, Vinnicombe, Reid, Pressley, Kuznetsov, L Robertson, I Ferguson, McSwegan, Spencer, Rideout​

Substitutes Used, Hagen, Watson, Walker, Smith​

Was that Lee Robertson in the starting XI? Struggling to remember much about him. The sub Watson was I think Steven Watson who possibly played a few first team games at left-back towards the end of the 1992-93 season. Who are the subs Walker and Smith?

October 1968 versus Scottish Cup holders Dunfermline Athletic.

A 3-0 victory, Alex Ferguson notched the third (Orjan Persson and Sandy Jardine scored first two).

31st January 1981 vs the sheep. DJ scored the only goal, which just cemented his hero status for me.

I was in the West Enclosure, it was very odd looking across to the Govan stand and it was just a load of steel framing at that point.

Been to a few before this but the first I can recall the details of opponents, score etc. was Rangers V St. Johnstone, March 1975. It was Colin Stein’s first game after he re-signed from Coventry City. We won 1-0 with Cutty Young scoring.

Earliest memory ( though I suspect I may have been to an earlier one ) was New Year’s Day 1964 - we beat Thistle 4-3 at Ibrox.
( incidentally the very next day we beat Celtic at the Piggery and on the 4th beat Hibs at Easter Rd)

It was Davie coopers testimonial for me.can still remember the wonder of running up the stairs in the broomland stand and the atmosphere and noise hitting me,made all the better by seeing my hero Davie cooper the one and only time

My dad had been promising to take me to a Rangers game for years, then in May 1973 he came good and we travelled across for the Scottish cup final, what an initiation!

League Cup Final 1963 v Morton, 5-0 victory with Jim Forrest netting 4 and Alex Willoughby the other. All the goals scored in second half. Over 100k in the crowd.

Back