Your very first Rangers game

1st Feb 1997 in a 0-0 draw against Hearts..biggest chance I remember is McCoist hitting the post with a header..Sat in the Broomloan Rear with my mum,dad and brother!travelled over on the boat from NI that morning and stayed overnight in Ayr!Great memories

Up at Pittodrie November 78. Had ball in net twice disallowed. Joe Harper missed pen for the sheep and ended 0-0. Was anybody else there?

I was taken to Easter Road of all places in August 1985. I was 12. We won 3-1, goals from McCoist, McPherson and Williamson, a young Gordon Durie scored for the Hibees.

My first game I remember was Leverkusen in the champions league. I think that was 1999. Don't remember much about it to be honest lol

Mine was an odd one - a mid season friendly! Rangers v. Spurs, 6 April 1986, a month before my 7th birthday. I think it was Jock Wallace's final game in charge before he got the sack and Souness was appointed - rendering me immune from any charge of glory hunting once the Souness revolution got underway...!

Rangers v Dunfermline, 12/09/1987. Won 4-0.

We went on a supporters bus that picked up in Balfron. My old man worked for LPT when they were still linked with Rangers via Lawrence Malborough. One of the guys who worked with my dad used to travel on that bus and arranged tickets for us. First season my old man was then able to get tickets for any games bar OF games through folk in his work. Wouldn't have taken me to an OF game until I was older anyway. I was 8 when I went to my first game and probably 11 before I went to an OF game when I eventually had a season ticket in CF5.

Spent the first season at the back of the main stand when it had the old roof. Then a couple of years getting tickets in the Broomloan stand before getting a season ticket in CF5.

Rangers v Dunfermline, 18/10/1997. Won 7-0

Negri scored 4, Gascoigne scored 2 and Laudrup scored the other.

Had just turned 7, went with my Dad and Grandad and got my first Rangers top that day too. Lovely memories.

Morton 2-2 Rangers, 22nd November 1969. I was 5 and my main memory is being fascinated with all the activity going on in the rail yard behind the Sinclair Street End and the sheer horror when Rangers scored and my Old Man and uncles kept picking me up and hugging me each time the ball went in the net (none of them had shaved!) and hoping that we wouldn't score again to save me from all that. We didn't and Morton came back from 0-2 down to get a draw, so it was all my fault :))

Jim Baxter played in the game, so I can say I saw him play, and it was Davie White's last league game in charge.

09/10/82 Morton away 0-0 two and a half hours in the back of my mates car from my home town Stranraer to Cappliow seems like yesterday .

14th Oct 1989, Rangers 2 Dundee Utd 1, Michael O'Neil equalised with a penalty after Mo Johnston put us in front, McCoist scored the winner, 3 day trips back in the day, overnight in Aviemore then Glasgow before the trek back north... What I would do to turn the clock back 30 years

I can’t remember year but I’m almost certain it was against Falkirk and we drew 2-2. Might have been some form of debut for Laudrup? Either home debut or first game. I remember him doing a cruyff turn at the corner flag maybe twice in quick succession and maybe 2nd one megs the defender and thinking this guy is my hero! Would love if some bears remember this game more vividly than me and that moment? Remember my Dad taking me in early to the stadium (Copland end) and aside from being blown away/goosebumps felt underwhelmed at the lack of crowd and him winding me up that “this is it son”! Then everyone started pouring in and once the 50k were there remember feeling part of something.

The double Cruyff turn you're thinking about was in front of the Copland against Partick Thistle.

I had a suspicion that was it, what was the final score 2-2 by any chance?

No, you're memory is maybe playing tricks on you. We won 3-0 and he scored the 3rd after Craig Nelson slipped on his arse.

Miller and Hateley scored the other two.

*Edit*

That's the goal there at 2.37...

The Falkirk game we lost 2-1 was his first goal for us. Came in the same week Athens put us out and Celtic beat us too.

Last edited:
League opener against Killie 26/08/95
McCall scored the only goal of the game.
I can only remember he had scored, nothing else about the game tbh...

My first game was Orange cup final 2000 against the sheep. My first trip to Ibrox I think was for the beamback against Hearts in 97, 3 days after won the 9. My first league game was a 3-1 win over St Mirren at Love Street in a 5 past 6 kick off for Sky sports. First league game at Ibrox was August 2000 against Dunfermline won the game 3-1 I think.

Rangers 0 St Johnstone 0. Same day as Hillsborough. Don't remember a thing about it as was only 3.

First game for myself was at home to dundee united and we lost 3-0. 3 -0 down in the first 25 mins, fergie got sent off for spitting i think.

Next game didnt go much better at home to hearts as alan johnston scored a hat trick.

Old man didnt take me back for awhile haha

Airdrie at Broomfield I think. My father took md and the only two things I remember is Davie Wilson's white hair and some bloke having me in stitches laughing when he shouted, " who the feck is this we're playing, hacket united"?
Must have been mid to late 60s.

Davie Cooper testimonial vs. Bordeaux. Went with my Dad and my uncle and managed to get in the Broomloan rear. Looking back I’m amazed we got in. Just remember it being a nice warm evening and Rangers in our “Monaco” away kit.

Rangers vs Manchester United 1990 pre-season friendly.
That's the first one I can really remember being at and getting it. Was gutted we lost. Can almost see their winner going in, at the Copland Road end I think.

I was at one more friendly before that against European opposition, could have been Cooper's testimonial, but I barely remember anything except seeing the stadium and knowing I was there.

3rd November 1990.

Rangers 4 Hibs 0

I was sat in the Govan rear, Hateley scored the first.

Mark Walters was my favourite player, he also scored that day.

I vividly remember being sat in the cold and being absolutely enthralled.

6-0 vs clydebank , skol Cup August 1988. We beat celtic 5-1 a few days later.

I did see the reserves lose vs Queen of the South at palmerston in February 88 , the same day the first team got put out the Scottish Cup vs Dunfermline.

First game for myself was at home to dundee united and we lost 3-0. 3 -0 down in the first 25 mins, fergie got sent off for spitting i think.

Next game didnt go much better at home to hearts as alan johnston scored a hat trick.

Old man didnt take me back for awhile haha
I think same happened to me, if it wasn't my dad who said it then at least I was asking myself if I was bad luck for the team (my first two games were friendlies, but we lost both and I thought every defeat was a disaster).

Third game and first league game was St. Mirren at Love Street - Walter's first game in charge - in April 1991. Stood on the terrace behind the goals in the rain. Sandy Robertson scored a great winner, a volley from the edge of the box I think. Writing all this now I realise that goal was vital to us pipping Aberdeen to the title on the final day, and important in getting Walter's tenure off to a good start, with all the success we didn't know that was yet to come. But as a wee boy on that terrace with grown men going mental all around me, I was just full of joy and relief that I wasn't the unlucky mascot any more.

Rangers v Morton 1963 league cup final, 5-0 to Rangers, got taken there by a Morton supporting Uncle got told to keep my trap shut in the car journey home or it was a long walk to the Port.

9th October 1971 V East Fife. we won 3-0 thanks to a Sandy Jardine penalty, Fyffe and Doddy with the other two, my old gran bought me a scarf, rosette and a tammy for the occasion, which was a bit spoiled when my old uncle who had taken me to the game went to the old bogs at the back of the Copland while I waited outside, some dick ran past at full pelt and snatched the tammy off my head and disappeared into the crowd, I was gutted... bag of chips on the way home made up for it though!

I’m sure it was League Cup against Stirling Albion 1965/66 Won 6 or 7 nil. Dad sat me on barrier at C****c end.
Always remember the old Greenhouses that used to be at that end of the park.

Clydebank v Rangers

Last ever game at Kilbowie Park. Not long after my 6th birthday and we won 3-2. Defining memory was folk ripping up the place for “mementos” at FT B-D
Clydebank for me to but mine was in October 76. It was the league Cup tie, finished 0-0 with Alex Miller missing a penalty. My next game was away at Motherwell, 2-0 down, pitch invasion and a storming comeback to win 5-3. Thought all away games would be like that.

Can't remember as I'd have only been 4 years old and pissed up. We must have won because I didn't get lifted until I was 5 :D

Last edited:
Back